Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kickstarter trending and statistics

Comments

• SorninSornin Member Posts: 1,133
    Originally posted by BaltoBro
    Game won't have PvE? I don't mind this but I think the project would have more backers if MJ states PvE will be in-game. I think the Kickstarter will fail. $2 million was too much for such a niche project. I think if this game is ever released, it would be out by 2016.

Obviously it would have more backers if Mark Jacobs stated PvE would be in the game, but that would be a lie. It is not going to be in the game, and putting it in the game is out of scope.

You can make a lot of claims in order to boost sales, get votes, or in this case, get pledges, but CSE is trying to be ethical and not make statements they do not intend to support.

• SBE1SBE1 Member UncommonPosts: 340

If the kickstarter fails, but the average funding was around $150-$200 each, it will tell me that a pure PvP game still remains a niche market but a very passionate market.  The only other read could be that people refuse to fund a kickstarter that is so very early in development, or a combination of the two.

Personally, i think they will reach about $1.5 million and top out around there.  

Perhaps they should have asked for passive equity partners from qualified investors who are also avid gamers like myself before starting a kickstarter.  I could fund a substantial amount myself, but I'd want a financial return, not just the ability to play the game. Find a few folks like myself and the $2m kickstarter campaign could easily be just $1m. 

• BrohimeBrohime Member Posts: 34

I have a feeling Mark has something planned regarding publicity. I think that he may be trying to time everything perfect with this kickstarter. It may be smarter to push real hard with the publicity towards the end of kickstarter due to the fact that there is a surge of pledges that come at the very end of the KS.

Also, I believe the stretch goals may build some excitement. Hopefully one of those stretch goals is an open world PVE-like dungeon (similiar to Darkness Falls in DAoC), except where everybody fights over valuable resources for the crafters. I know many of us have discussed this on the forums and even Jacobs himself said not to rule out open world dungeons.

• skyrekskyrek Member Posts: 45
    Originally posted by Sornin
    Game won't have PvE? I don't mind this but I think the project would have more backers if MJ states PvE will be in-game. I think the Kickstarter will fail. $2 million was too much for such a niche project. I think if this game is ever released, it would be out by 2016.

Obviously it would have more backers if Mark Jacobs stated PvE would be in the game, but that would be a lie. It is not going to be in the game, and putting it in the game is out of scope.

You can make a lot of claims in order to boost sales, get votes, or in this case, get pledges, but CSE is trying to be ethical and not make statements they do not intend to support.

I agree and the honesty is good as well as best for the game as you would just end up having very angry people trying to bash the game out of existence if they backed it based on potential PvE aspects.

I like the honesty and approach Mark has used with the Kickstarter.  I'm normally more of a PvE person myself, but I still backed this as I see its potential and believe it will be a fun game that I will enjoy.  So even being strictly RvR will not necessarily turn everyone away, though it does of course limit the number it will appeal to.

• burfoburfo Member Posts: 46
    Originally posted by burfo

Now that the project passed 6 days, Kicktraq is calculating it's prediction cone.  I've added this dynamic image to the top post.

Accuracy is certainly low as we're still 24 days from the goal, but as of now it's predicting the low end at $2.15M which is great!  Let's see how it changes over time.

Burfo

• fanglofanglo Member UncommonPosts: 314

Now that the project passed 6 days, Kicktraq is calculating it's prediction cone.  I've added this dynamic image to the top post.

Accuracy is certainly low as we're still 24 days from the goal, but as of now it's predicting the low end at $2.15M which is great!  Let's see how it changes over time.

That's awesome.

I healed Mistwraith and all I got was this stupid tee-shirt!

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Actually know fact  that a lot of these game devs already have investor money in the wings to fund the game and that if they start trending poorly they throw some of their investor/own money on the kickstarter to create buzz/hype and insure that they are able to get the FREE money us idiots keep throwing at them in buckets.
  • furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Originally posted by skyrek
    Originally posted by Sornin

I agree and the honesty is good as well as best for the game as you would just end up having very angry people trying to bash the game out of existence if they backed it based on potential PvE aspects.

I like the honesty and approach Mark has used with the Kickstarter.  I'm normally more of a PvE person myself, but I still backed this as I see its potential and believe it will be a fun game that I will enjoy.  So even being strictly RvR will not necessarily turn everyone away, though it does of course limit the number it will appeal to.

I think it's more of that people have become skeptic of MMOs these days after dissapointment after dissapointment.  I put down 80 bucks without batting an eyelash on Torment: Planes of Nem-whatever because I heard great things about Planescape Torment (got it but never really played it) and am impressed with the staff they got along with the vid on the story mechanics of the game.  Dying for a real good story game and not these mediocere stories with flashy eye candy like ME3 or sex appeal like DA2.  But I won't put a dime toward an MMO due to past MMO titles and dissapointments.  I'll be happy paying reg priced on a finished product.

Originally posted by psiic
    Actually know fact  that a lot of these game devs already have investor money in the wings to fund the game and that if they start trending poorly they throw some of their investor/own money on the kickstarter to create buzz/hype and insure that they are able to get the FREE money us idiots keep throwing at them in buckets.

How do you know this as a fact? I'm not saying that what you are saying isn't possible, just improbable.

If you look at the statistics for the weekend the money has been across a wide range of tiers. a dev trying to game the kicstarter would have to create a lot of accounts to create that kind of range of pledges.

Unless I'm missing something.

• MortifyMortify Member Posts: 95
    Actually know fact  that...

Known facts have links to prove it.

cough 'em up if you want to be credible.

Methos, Armsman, EU Excalibur
    Jager, Infiltrator, EU Excalibur
    Phos, Cleric, EU Excalibur
    Mortify, Sorcerer, EU Excalibur

• will75will75 Member UncommonPosts: 365
    Looks like the traq is in the 4 mil area .. that must make them happy..Get hiring my friends!

• AdorianBladeAdorianBlade Member Posts: 62

I believe this is against the Kickstarter rules. So no they aren't allowed to do it.

Originally posted by will75
    Looks like the traq is in the 4 mil area .. that must make them happy..Get hiring my friends!

the 4 mil will most likely fall a lot. I think the forumula is going by averages and since day 1 was sooo awesome it is skewing the averages way to much.

• burfoburfo Member Posts: 46
    Originally posted by fanglo
    Originally posted by will75

the 4 mil will most likely fall a lot. I think the forumula is going by averages and since day 1 was sooo awesome it is skewing the averages way to much.

It tries to take this into account.  Nearly every kickstarter spikes on day 1 to some amount.    But I will agree that if it continues at the rate it has for the past 2 days (<$40k/day) then it'll drop.

Burfo

• drakon3drakon3 Member Posts: 114
    Well, it looks like the low end of the projection cone trend has dropped below the $2m mark. 
  • GKermichilGKermichil Member Posts: 32
    Originally posted by drakon3
    Well, it looks like the low end of the projection cone trend has dropped below the $2m mark. 

That's a little worrisome, but I think it will be okay.  The past two days number of backers and donations have increased.  We (and CSE) just need to keep getting the word out.  I think a very large percentage of this game's target audience has never heard about it.

Originally posted by G_Kermichil
    Originally posted by drakon3

That's a little worrisome, but I think it will be okay.  The past two days number of backers and donations have increased.  We (and CSE) just need to keep getting the word out.  I think a very large percentage of this game's target audience has never heard about it.

Also, once we reach the 1mil mark later today (probably tonight) and they release the stretch goals that should generate some buzz.

• WazlukWazluk Member Posts: 159
    Can we sticky this?

Terminus
    Legend Gaming Website | Join Us!
    Wazluk - Legionnaire of Terminus
    Draken Stalker
  • Ramones274Ramones274 Member Posts: 366
    Originally posted by Wazluk
    Can we sticky this?

Yes, please!

There are two kinds of people in this world. People who pick their nose.. and liars.

• will75will75 Member UncommonPosts: 365
    I almost feel kinda lame trying to get the word out, it almost makes me feel like i am a fanboy.So it's a battle with myself on what to do. But, then on the other hand. I hate pve, and i hate "PVE'RS" ,While i am not sure that the 1 game that finally is released for "pvp'ers" is made by mark jacobs is what i'd dreamed of, it's where we are. I'll support him, and he's not said much that seemed like he wanted to pussify this game.So we'll see.  I hope it funds, i hope my cash leaves to the CSE team, but i am cautious for sure. 40k a day isn't easy... With more information and some kind of art that may help. The Engine demo #2 should be helpful. We'll see

• EasymodeXEasymodeX Member Posts: 149

I think the biggest boosts to CU's kickstarter will be:

- In-game pre-alpha demos of some combat abilities (this assumes a decision has been made on basic combat mechanics like animation-based or GCD-based)

- Statement and preliminary / conceptual design of PvE -- e.g. not "WoW PvE", but a statement surrounding the "Darkness Falls" / crafting / RvR aspect (of course, this assumes any decision has been made as to how crafting fits into RvR, and how any "DF-like" experience will fit into RvR resources or crafting)

That aside, if the ks gets 38k per month, with no spike at the end, it will land at close to 1.9m.  So, it seems stable but "barely reaching 2m" is really not the target.

Originally posted by EasymodeX

- In-game pre-alpha demos of some combat abilities (this assumes a decision has been made on basic combat mechanics like animation-based or GCD-based)

- Statement and preliminary / conceptual design of PvE -- e.g. not "WoW PvE", but a statement surrounding the "Darkness Falls" / crafting / RvR aspect (of course, this assumes any decision has been made as to how crafting fits into RvR, and how any "DF-like" experience will fit into RvR resources or crafting)

That aside, if the ks gets 38k per month, with no spike at the end, it will land at close to 1.9m.  So, it seems stable but "barely reaching 2m" is really not the target.

In an ideal world this game raises 4m so that they can reach a lot of their stretch goals. Sadly with the way things are going now we might only see a few stretch goals.

I hope that they add a paypal thing after the KS ends so that more people can help the project, that way we can still reach the stretch goals.

• SorninSornin Member Posts: 1,133
    Originally posted by EasymodeX

In an ideal world this game raises 4m so that they can reach a lot of their stretch goals. Sadly with the way things are going now we might only see a few stretch goals.

I hope that they add a paypal thing after the KS ends so that more people can help the project, that way we can still reach the stretch goals.

If this game funds, I am betting CSE will allow PayPal donations for some time into development, albeit with different, lesser tiers compared to Kickstarter. This wat, even if it funds at, say $2.1M, with only one stretch goal reached, it may accrue another few hundred thousand and hit a few more. Many of the games seem to do that.

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268

That's awesome.

I'm beginning to be concerned about the kickstarter...

Kicktraq shows that there should at least be funded 45.447 USD each day at the moment, and we are not even close. This is bad.

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ

I'm beginning to be concerned about the kickstarter...

Kicktraq shows that there should at least be funded 45.447 USD each day at the moment, and we are not even close. This is bad.

There's still 21 days left and it's already at 52%. Don't panic until the final week. Remember that in the last few days of a Kickstarter there is usually a large bump as people who were on the fence finally commit and early adopters increase their pledges to make sure it funds.

Also the daily amount goes up and down often influenced by any new information released about the project. There has been little news about CU the last few days and the new tech demo only came out late last evening. It wouldn't be surprising if today's amount is higher again after people watch that and get excited.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

This discussion has been closed.