Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

All in One Expansion Pack Purchase?

I have not played the game since Moria and was looking at coming back to it, but not really wanting to drop 80 bucks on expansion packs for myself and the wife.

Does Turbine have an all in one expansion pack upgrade available?  If we didn't buy the expacs (we do have Moria) would we be ok until upper levels for the expacs, or are there features of the exppacs that we would be missing out on even at lower levels?

We would sub to the game if we played it.

Comments

• Storman1977Storman1977 Member Posts: 207

Here is the link to the LoTROMarketLoTROMarket. You can get the first three expansions in one go for $40, but the newest one is going to be $40 by its self, seeing it's only a few months old.

*edit - You can also download the game and check the in game Turbine Point store to see if there are any deals there. Sometimes you can get a better deal by buying a bundle of Turbine Points and buying the content that way. Here is the current in-game store prices (paid for with Turbine Points) LoTRoStore

*So many edits - All four expansions (even though you already have Moria) run 5180 Turbine points. That means you can theoretically guy the $99.99 Turbine point bundle in the LoTROStore (6,250 TP + 4,750 bonus TP = 11,000 total TP) and have enough points to buy all four expansions for two accounts and still have a couple of hundred TP left over. You'll have to ask on the LoTRO forums if you can gift the packs to your second account.

• Thanks for the reply.  It actually does look like we could get the expansions we need for TP cheaper (around 40 total each) as opposed to 80 each.
  • Rather than making another post I'll just ask this here.

Does anyone know where to download the Moria expansion?  I installed SoA from my original disc, but am not sure where I could download my Moria expansion digital download from again.

• cormachcormach Member UncommonPosts: 98

Once you try to log in, it will start the update process. It will download everything up to the current build of the game. Moria will be included as part of that download.

I believe it should also include RoR, although you won't have access to any of the quests there, except probably the book quests.

• Good stuff.  Thanks.  Was hoping that was the case so I could just leave it on over night and everything will download.
  • cormachcormach Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Depending on your internet speed, it could take a while, because it will download everything.
  • Yeah, it's plugging away at it.  Have pretty fast speeds and looks like it'll be done in the morning before I leave for work so not too shabby at all considering how many files it has to snatch.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

"Does anyone know where to download the Moria expansion?"

You don't need to, the client contains all expansions and you can go to those areas and kill, etc. openly without buying them. With purchase, expansions simply get unlocked on your account, so after that you can take quests and do deeds in the expansion areas as well.

"so I could just leave it on over night and everything will download."

The client is a bit less than 18Gb at the moment.

"It actually does look like we could get the expansions we need for TP cheaper (around 40 total each) as opposed to 80 each."

Actually it's a bit tricky. The TP version only contains the quest pack (the actual content of the expansion). The Boxed version has many extras, like the 2 classes for Moria, or the extra outfit and horse and the xp-boost stone for Isengard, not to mention the extra TP you receive with it.

So overall it's cheaper to buy the expansion via the webshop for money, but of course if you need only the area unlock, the TP version can be a viable way too.

"Does Turbine have an all in one expansion pack upgrade available?"

Not at the time. After Rohan they released the triple pack (Moria, Mirkwood and Isengard bundled together for cheaper). Maybe after the next expansion they will add Rohan into the bundle...

"or are there features of the exppacs that we would be missing out on even at lower levels?"

I don't think so... the only thing what jumps in mind is maybe the Forsaken Inn instance but you can skip it or buy it via TP... since you have Moria you can start warden or runekeeper, the other expansions didn't add new stuff to the starter area.

• Good stuff, Po.  Thanks.  Saw that later on they were just the quest packs for that price. 

Just trying to figure out how urgently we need to buy everything to get caught up to date without dropping ~160 bucks on a game we might now enjoy playing long term.

We are thinking about resubbing and playiing for a month up to Moria and then buying the expacs as we need them as we go along, but wanting to make sure there aren't any awesome features that are useful while leveling up that those expansions give, too.  :)

• drgrandrgran Member UncommonPosts: 192

I have a question. 

If i were to buy all the expansions would i need to go VIP?

ASUS G74sx
    i7 quad core
    16gb ddr3 ram
    3gb ram Nvidia 560M
    240GB SSD & 750GB

• kostoslavkostoslav Member UncommonPosts: 455
    U dont need to go VIP but it s not bad to go VIP for a month coz u permanently remove gold cap, and unlock all traits and bags
    Originally posted by Lugoves

but wanting to make sure there aren't any awesome features that are useful while leveling up that those expansions give, too.  :)

I think there's no need to rush with expansion purchase, all their features* are in their specific level area (60-65 Mirkwood, 65-75 Isengard and 75-85 Rohan). So you can delay the purchase up until you leave Moria at around 60ish and decide that you might enjoy the game in the long term.

Probably there will be some sales on the run :)  for example 6 years anniversary is right onto us (next week I guess), they're usually giving out discounts during that time...

*True, in both Isengard and Rohan pack there was an xp-boost pocket item for faster leveling, but it's neither an awesome feature, nor a necessity :) with the latest changes (you get xp for gathering and crafting, and for festival quests as well) the leveling process became way too fast on itself. Heck, there's even an xp-disabler item in the Store, because you can easily outlevel an area by only questing there...

Originally posted by drgran

If i were to buy all the expansions would i need to go VIP?

It's good to go for vip at least for a month. That will unlock every vip restriction on the characters you have. After that you can switch back to premium if you like, the restrictions remain unlocked. Vip is only a must for pvp, everything else you can buy from the Store too, so premium is a viable option as well.

• You rock, Po.

I've heard something about a free mount available within one of the expansion packs that can be used at a lower level?

Sorry, I missed that since mounts became so common in LotRO it doesn't even count anymore :)

Yep, both Isengard and Rohan gives a mount (steed of the gap and steed of eastemnet). Pretty good horses, looking good too, though not the best ones.

Mounts are changed a lot since launch, nowadays everyone can ride as early as level5, it only needs the riding skill which is a Store purchase for 95TP. Subscribers still can learn the skill for free after lvl20 at the Hengstacer farm, by completing the race. Horse prices are dropped too, it was almost 5Gold back then if I remember correctly. Now it's only 500 silver for the first horse, after that as a horse owner you got a discount, meaning 200 silver for the purchases after.

So technically it sounds good to get a free mount for leveling, but in practice it doesn't matter much :) If you're f2p/premium it's only 95TP (sometimes even cheaper on sale) and 500 silver to hop on a horse or a pony. If you're a subsciber and wait until lvl20, then it's only the 500 silver. And 500 silver... well if you just play casually, doing the quests and sell the vendor trash on the side, you'll gather that amount before you reach lvl10-12 :)

• Awesome.  Sounds good, thanks again.  I thought mounts were new...totally don't remember having one last I played even at end level.  :D

Not new, but it was a much bigger thing before, a horse worthed more than a house.

At lvl20 you could get a starter horse, a kinda 'mount101 for noobies edition' :) it was barely faster than a path-finding hunter... and at 35 you could get the real horse for a hefty price (money had value back then). Cap was only lvl60 with Moria, so basically the first half of the game happened on foot.

Fast forward to the present, now horses are the main source of income, the Store is filled with them for 10-20 bucks, every festival and other events have their unique horses (and a new one arriving every year), etc.

Of course they're the same horse only with a reskinned model :)  And since Turbine keep releasing new horses all the time, while I have a horse-collector character, I admit I gave up already to gather the full stable - it's a heaven for cosmetic / fashion / roleplay focused players, but on the other hand it's a fiscal nightmare :)

In short, it wouldn't be a wise choice to early buy an expansion only because of the gift mount. You get a horse for 24hours from the adventurer box at lvl5 (a promotional item, it doesn't need the riding skill), and since when that horse expires, most likely you'll be able to buy one from the farm for 500 silver.

• WagrumWagrum Member Posts: 56

I'm downloading the game now, looking to get into it.

What quest packs do you recommend buying? I was thinking Evendim, but I want to get the best bang for my buck on the way to Moria at 50.

Originally posted by Wagrum

What quest packs do you recommend buying? I was thinking Evendim, but I want to get the best bang for my buck on the way to Moria at 50.

There's more or less a concensus on that the "best bang for the buck" would be Evendim + Angmar. When you finish the Lone Lands you can start Evendim right away, with the Evendim revamp it has a great flow and take you to lvl42ish. Angmar is basically 2 quest packs rolled into one, fully stuffed with quests, and from lvl42 it will easily take you to 50.

The only drawback to the above is that quite a lot of people can't stand Angmar... and while I never felt the "dread" I can see why can it be a bit depressing :) ugly zone indeed. But you can always take a break and do some book quests since those are available for every players and the quest line guides you into every corner of Eriador.

Or, if you prefer the cold, the clear air and the white landsape instead of death and dust and grim sky ( :) ) you can pick Forochel instead. It's not that optimal choice as Angmar, since it only carries you from lvl42 to maybe lvl48, but you can start Moria at 48 too, you don't have to be 50.

Originally posted by Po_gg

There's more or less a concensus on that the "best bang for the buck" would be Evendim + Angmar. When you finish the Lone Lands you can start Evendim right away, with the Evendim revamp it has a great flow and take you to lvl42ish. Angmar is basically 2 quest packs rolled into one, fully stuffed with quests, and from lvl42 it will easily take you to 50.

The only drawback to the above is that quite a lot of people can't stand Angmar... and while I never felt the "dread" I can see why can it be a bit depressing :) ugly zone indeed. But you can always take a break and do some book quests since those are available for every players and the quest line guides you into every corner of Eriador.

Or, if you prefer the cold, the clear air and the white landsape instead of death and dust and grim sky ( :) ) you can pick Forochel instead. It's not that optimal choice as Angmar, since it only carries you from lvl42 to maybe lvl48, but you can start Moria at 48 too, you don't have to be 50.

Thank you ^^

I'm about to login now and choose a server. I am leaning towards Brandywine :)

• EiadoEiado Member UncommonPosts: 20
    So... I don't play, like ever anymore. But I had a lifetime sub from a long time ago. I really like that I did that because I get a montly bonus of Turbine Coins. So whenever I do get on I can buy whatever the hell I want. Have they added gifting, because I always wanted to get the expansions for a friend of mine who wasn't lifetime like I was. Kinda tempted to play around on lotro again just for nostalgia sakes. But I'd be much more inclined to with Store gifting.

As I heard Brandywine is a nicely populated one among the former US servers.

I'm not sure how the mods like/dislike linking to other threads, but you should check this one :) 

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/378990  not long ago mmorpg.com members gathered up and started on Brandywine, maybe you can contact them in-game with your character and ask a guild invite.

Originally posted by Po_gg

As I heard Brandywine is a nicely populated one among the former US servers.

I'm not sure how the mods like/dislike linking to other threads, but you should check this one :) 

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/378990  not long ago mmorpg.com members gathered up and started on Brandywine, maybe you can contact them in-game with your character and ask a guild invite.

Thank you, you've been so helpful :)

And if you've settled, you could visit Bree for some firework fun, it worths checking and there's only one anniversary per year (obviously :) )

It worths not only for the fun ofc, more for the Firework steed. Turbine took out the barrier of winning races, so now it's probably the easiest achieveable 200HP horse in game (at least until the next festival event launches). So when you later get your riding skill, you'll have a 200hp one in your stable to ride instead of the regular 100hp ones.

And because the last update made the festival quests giving level-appropriate xp as well, that fireworking detour would fit nicely into the leveling process anyways.

Thanks.

I'm a level 12 hunter at the moment, and with quest packs being around $8-10 each, it might be cheaper if I just subbed for a month and try to rush to 50.

Then maybe purchase the triple expansion pack from Steam.

See how I go.

I posted on that thread you linked, but haven't heard anything yet, it's been a lonely experience so far lol.

I'm not on Brandywine because of the 6-7hours delay from Eu (so I can't check their status), but what I ment with "maybe you can contact them in-game" is the friends panel :) Have you contacted them through that?

They posted the character names for that reason, you can add the names to your friends panel and you can see if they're online or not. And you can mail them a greeting as well, with an invitation request.

1 month vip is a very common "tactic" among f2p players, since after that expires you'll become a "former subscriber" with Turbine and you'll keep a lot of things unlocked on your character (bags, trait slots, swift travel, no gold limit, etc). Plus you get 500TP. But I'd suggest to wait with it until you finish the Lone Lands. You can play until 30 without much restrictions, and with this way you won't need to rush anything (you can get from 30 to 50 in a month easily, even if you hopping around on one leg :) ).

Edit: + if you start your vip month at 30, then - since the whole area opens up - you don't have to restrict yourself on the Evendim+Angmar route, you can level in any part of Eriador, and you'll have the time as well to explore all of them.

Trollshaws and Misty Mountains are great areas for example, not too much quests (so they won't be enough for leveling), but nice ties to the lore - checking the three stone Trolls, or diving into Goblin-town looking after Bilbo's buttons and visiting Gollum's cave is awesome :)