Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looks Pretty Good. Anyone played it yet?

plescureplescure Member UncommonPosts: 397
been looking at this on steam but very surprised at how barren this forum is about the game. Can anyone give me an opinion on this game? (someone thats played it that is)

If someone is talking in general chat in a language you dont understand, chances are they're not talking to you. So chill out and stop bitching about it!

Comments

• CernanCernan Member UncommonPosts: 360

This game was previously listed here as Regnum Online.  Looks like they have relisted it under the new name since it's last major update and Steam release.

This game came out in 2007, it is not new.   It's just new to Steam.  I played some a few years ago and I've picked it back up now that Steam has seen a boost to populations.

Factions

It's 3 sided RvR.  Two realms are similar to Camelot (Hibernia -Syrtis and Midgard - Alsius.)  However, instead of an Albion realm they have a desert faction of Dark Elves and Humans called Ignis.  The overall land mass is much smaller than DAoC.  The frontier zone, war zone, has two keeps and a castle for each realm.  There are relics to be captured from the keeps.  Each inner realm has a "newb island" and beyond that about 4 major towns with vendors/quests.

RVR

One of the primary differences is Regnum has invasions.  Where as in DAoC you could never invade a home realm, in Regnum that is part of the gameplay.  If you capture a castle and at least one fort you can attack the enemy wall.  If you knock down the wall you can invade their realm for gems.  Each realm has 2 gems you can steal and take back to your home realm.  If capture all 4 gems from both opposing factions then your realm gets a huge buff from a golden dragon for a week(technically its a choice of buffs or debuffs for the enemy realms.)  There is a time limit on the invasion.  Also, if the wall is knocked down it's a free for all for both opposing factions.  Anyone can enter.  The "newb island" area is safe guarded.  

Classes

Classes are mirrored unlike DAoC.  Knight, Barbarian, Marksman, Hunter, Warlock, and Conjurer.  You can reset your skills at any time by typing /reset_powers, no cost.  http://regnum.wikia.com/wiki/Regnum_Online_Wiki

Leveling

1-10 is a breeze, it all happens in the newb safe zone.  At level 10 you pick your primary class.  10-20 is pretty easy.  You are just lacking skill points to level well.  20-30 went by faster for me, tons of quest and more skill points equals better skills/easier killing.  30-40 the game starts to slow down.  You have maybe 1 quest per level that gives you 15-20% exp for that level. The rest is grinding, and grinding is very slow.  I think I remember level 33-34 needing me to grind 300 bears for half a level.  At level 37 I needed to kill 400 spiders for a task.  They didn't even make much of a dent in the exp bar.  Quests completely stop at level 43.  After that you must grind to 60 and it will take forever.  You can start doing RvR at level 30, but you won't do much damage to level 60s.  You don't really become viable until 45+...more like 52+.  You can buy EXP  Boost scrolls from the cash shop if you want to speed up your grind.  You can also buy a scroll that will instantly get you to level 45.  I think Steam has that offer as well.  If you play a lot you could probably get to 45 in about two weeks without needing to spend the money.  The last 15 levels is what will kill you.  Sort of like those last 5 levels in DAoC (45-50 took me so long.)

Overall

It's a fun game.  The only thing you really need to purchase from the cash shop is a mount.  You get a free one on a 7 day timer....7 days in-game time, not physical days.  So that should last you a while. If you can stand the grind late game then go for it.  The community is extremely helpful and friendly.  They are always answering new player questions in realm chat.  There is lag in mass RvR, similar to DAoC.  

My Alsius Warlock casting Blaze which looks like flame breathe.

• plescureplescure Member UncommonPosts: 397
    ah cool. thx 4 the info. think i'll give it a look.

If someone is talking in general chat in a language you dont understand, chances are they're not talking to you. So chill out and stop bitching about it!

• ringdanyringdany Member UncommonPosts: 189

yes, the other ofrums with moreposts are here :-

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/forum/808/General-Discussion.html

i agree with Cernan. Just wanted to add that for the steam launch, the major update was the additon of the ability for a realm to summon its dragon to fight for it during the invasion. the devs NGD have a policy of ensuring that invasions can and will happen, so that fighting can take place for everyone to have a good time.

there is definitely a grind, but i dont think it is as hard a grind as some other mmos like Silkroad Online. i often asked myself why have a grind at all? why not have everyone  go to max level like say, GW2? I suspect the reason is because the devs do get some sales revenue from selling XP boost scrolls. GW2 gets its revenue from its buy to play model. prior to the steam launch, the devs also introduced realm tasks which actually give an xp boost of between 50-100% (not 15-20%). this is on top of a shecduled 100% 1-2 hours xp boost set up GMs each day.  usually i dins thta hwenever i get bored of grinding, i just run into the warzone to hunt or war. Although as a lower level player you may do less damage against high level players, your stuns and other crowd control spells work fairly well, making you effective in war. 

this game isn't for everyone. but because of the very strong RvR pvp, i found that putting in the effort to level my character is worthwhile because i am fairly confident of having several yearss of fun. the developers NGD actually play in game regularly as well.

• HeavyBadassHeavyBadass Member Posts: 19
    if you value your time don't play this game since you have to spend a lot of time unless you buy your way to win

Originally posted by HeavyBadass if you value your time don't play this game since you have to spend a lot of time unless you buy your way to win
    well certainly if you do not want to take the time to grind you can buy xp booster scrolls.

but just spending money on xp scrolls doesn't make you good at the game. in general a player 10 levels below you will still beat you if you are not very good in how you use your battle skills. game requires you to be sharp and alert no matter how much money you spend on items or xp scrolls.

a good example of buy to win would be Camelot Unchained.

Have you seen the crazy tiers of spending they have, even before the product is set out in a blueprint? Check out this spreadsheet. $750 for membership of a game whose combat system is undefined :-

Spreadsheet Link

(it also appears t o be a monthly subscription game... !)

Originally posted by ringdany

Originally posted by HeavyBadass if you value your time don't play this game since you have to spend a lot of time unless you buy your way to win
    well certainly if you do not want to take the time to grind you can buy xp booster scrolls.

but just spending money on xp scrolls doesn't make you good at the game. in general a player 10 levels below you will still beat you if you are not very good in how you use your battle skills. game requires you to be sharp and alert no matter how much money you spend on items or xp scrolls.

a good example of buy to win would be Camelot Unchained.

Have you seen the crazy tiers of spending they have, even before the product is set out in a blueprint? Check out this spreadsheet. $750 for membership of a game whose combat system is undefined :-

Spreadsheet Link

I know that regnum is not as bad as other games but you still have to use money unless you want to spend time grinding, and that's after max level since you need money for repairs (and arrows if you are an archer.) a paying player has an advantage over a non playing player in pvp since he has an easier time getting gear because of the item boxes. Besides this you'd have to be a complete and utter noob to lose to a level 50 if you are 60 but you'll be spending time fighting before you get there. The reality is that there are a lot of better games out there where you can get some action and adrenaline without having to spend an endless amount of grinding before you are able to do so. The game was good and fun once, but it just kept on going downhill because ngd focuses on money instead of game play, fun, player experience, content etc. things that makes a game fun.

Originally posted by HeavyBadass
    I know that regnum is not as bad as other games but you still have to use money unless you want to spend time grinding, and that's after max level since you need money for repairs (and arrows if you are an archer.) a paying player has an advantage over a non playing player in pvp since he has an easier time getting gear because of the item boxes. Besides this you'd have to be a complete and utter noob to lose to a level 50 if you are 60 but you'll be spending time fighting before you get there. The reality is that there are a lot of better games out there where you can get some action and adrenaline without having to spend an endless amount of grinding before you are able to do so. The game was good and fun once, but it just kept on going downhill because ngd focuses on money instead of game play, fun, player experience, content etc. things that makes a game fun.

you made regnum sound as if it could be the worst game in the world...

most F2P RvR games u need to spend time grinding...

you don't need ingame money to buy arrows anymore. if you grind a little bit you should be able to cover repair costs. or just sell some stuff for ingame money. paying realy money for repairs using repair hammers is a bit like donating to the game.

i dont think gear makes that huge a difference. you do get some players with OP gear (Lucky Luke at the moment), but most players laugh at him for being rather silly.

i think spending real money on lucky boxes cant make a huge difference because well, each item of bonus adds so little (about 0.5%-2% maximum damage bonus) and you cant have more than 2 maybe max 3 on at a time.

there are still quite a few noob 60s losing to 50s (esp mages to barbs). CoR is a tough game to master.

You need to name some of these games. I tried Aika, C9, looked at GW2, Aion. Even tried mobas like Bloodline Champions. I tried DAOC Dawn of Light. None of them gave me what CoR does. CoR's players stick with CoR for a reason. Im prepared to consider any game you suggest. (GW2 is a serious alternative to CoR for me).

Actually, I find getting to level 28 in CoR very fast. At level 28 i enjoy the challenge of killing a 60. And I still kill 60s at 28 (either as part of a team or when 60 is at low hp). So I feel I can get into the RvR action fast.

CoR is a commercial game. I don't own it. But even so, I dont go around bashing the game without an even handed  explanation.

Look -- i would probably be the last person to say CoR is perfect. There are a lot of good alternatives out there. But not a single one of them gives me sidestep keyboard controls + high top down 3rd person view + simple gfx which do not hurt my eyes + simple grind and gameplay (i can zip thru the quests without reading them, i hate reading quests) + acceptable disclosure of all stats and formulas and so on --- all of these CoR offers in one package. I feel no other game does this in one package.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I really wanted to try it,as it didn't look too bad grrr.

Not a good way to get customers.

The initial d/l wasn't too bad,around 20 minutes for the 800 or so mb file,not very big,good thing.That only took me to the player creation screen.

However then the next  download was taking forever because it was at 56k speeds.It appears to be using  torrent becuase the way it goes steadily from 20>170kb/sec then right back down,it does not fluctuate like a normal d/l.

So i waited for idk around 20-30 then got to a character creation.I go to play and it starts the d/l all over again,so now a THIRD d/l and again 56k speeds and again looks like a torrent [using players bandwidth].I still was destined to play so waited about 20 minutes,saw it was only halfway so gave up.

BTW no stoppage,it enters full screen,so i had to cntrl+alt+del to get out and stop the d/l.

SO i guess i won't ever be trying this game out,f2p stays true to form.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

what's superbad is that you get the promise of an f2p game where paying money doesn't seem to have an effect and that the developers want it to stay this way, my experience tells me otherwise, having spent 2-3 years on this game that I consider a huge waste of my time is just too bad. Do you play league of legends? Now THAT'S a game that doesn't give you any advantage by using money, most of their money comes from sponsors and skins, and you actually level up by playing their game.

as I said before, no there are worse games out there than regnum where the balance betwene paying players and free players are much more intense but at least you'll know this when you decide to play it or not, I presented a LOT of ideas to COR/ROL which would help low levels have more fun than to spend their time GRINDING their ass of in a game that is meant to be rvr. And not only that I provided ideas for item shop items you can buy for ximerin so the company would get some revenue. The game will continue to go downhill since they prioritize this way until one sad day when the game will sieze to exist, have a look around the web, the only thing apealing to new players are the graphics.

• nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716
    Played it off and on sense it came out in the states and played with alot of people. Its a good game like DAOC in a way but there is a grind to get to max lvl but once you get there the game is all RvR mostly and there CS is not bad mostly exp boosts and mounts.

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

Originally posted by Wizardry

I really wanted to try it,as it didn't look too bad grrr.... the 800 or so mb file,not very big,good thing.That only took me to the player creation screen.

yea CoR takes a heck of a long time to get running nicely. it took me about 2 days before it was fully installed (updating.. updating..) and even some reboots. and then it took me two weeks of fiddling with the interface and asking around before the game was behaving fully comfortably for me. it was fidgety and kinda annoying at times prior to that. maybe it is the f2p model?  then again, most mmos i play are very hard to install: silkroad was a pain to get going ( had to update video card and mother board drivers ), neverwinter nights omg update update patches etc. i have not yet seen an mmo that runs straight off the bat --- except maybe torrented ones.

programmers just dont seem to have a sctrong sense of engineering efficiency these days - probably because they are all using SDKs instead of building in machine code.

Heavybadass --- id consider NGD very fortunate if CoR is still running after 3-5 more years. I suspect if it is running it will not be in the same form it is today. League of Legends is amazing - a great marketing effort and i think if you get enough initial momentum then u can do an LoL. I dont think CoR can get that momentum -- tho i have suggested NGD stick a drive in theatre ingame so players can rock up and watch a movie together -- but all i can hope for is that CoR remains fun and intellectually stimulating for me for years to come.

But the only way i can be really confident about a gamne lasting, is if i own it and run it myself. As we all know, the majority of mmos dont last beyond 3-5 yrs at the moment. But i cant look back at any mmo which has survived for a long time (maplestory, runescape, wow  etc) and say i wud want to play it over CoR.

Heavybadass --- id consider NGD very fortunate if CoR is still running after 3-5 more years. I suspect if it is running it will not be in the same form it is today. League of Legends is amazing - a great marketing effort and i think if you get enough initial momentum then u can do an LoL. I dont think CoR can get that momentum -- tho i have suggested NGD stick a drive in theatre ingame so players can rock up and watch a movie together -- but all i can hope for is that CoR remains fun and intellectually stimulating for me for years to come.

But the only way i can be really confident about a gamne lasting, is if i own it and run it myself. As we all know, the majority of mmos dont last beyond 3-5 yrs at the moment. But i cant look back at any mmo which has survived for a long time (maplestory, runescape, wow etc) and say i wud want to play it over CoR.

yeah I definately wouldn't place CoR at the bottom of the list either of mmos I don't want to play and you are right that it needs players to survive and it's good it gets support, I did my time though and consider my time wasted which I don't want to do anymore, I like LoL and tera better though, and I hope you keep getting it stimulated, I just think it would be nice to warn players that they will be doing a lot of grinding in this game to level up before they can do rvr which will bring them fun for a time that could be between a month to some years so they can decide if they want to invest the time.

and yes lol does a great job as well, it's just best to stay away from it's community, moba games apparantly have very bad mannered communities, the game itself and riot are awesome, I just wish riot would put more effort into player behavior moderation.

It's been a real pleasure speaking with you :) Are you gonna try tera? Or lol? Then pm me or send me a mail :)

oops. thought i hadnt replied when i had.

so i deleted the post ><

um.. ill post something else >< sry