Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hype manipulation on front page is in full effect

azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Dear mods, I think its time you reset the hype meters on the front page.  There has been an ongoing concerted efforts to rig the hype meter of the top 3-4 games and as such they should be reset.  I just checked the last few pages of hype from ESO and more then half of the newest hype comments were made by users no longer in the system.  Clearly in violation of the rules of hype.  I don't see how a game can go from 7.42 to a 7.37 in less then one day. 

Reset the hype meters and ban those accounts rigging the system.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Comments

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    And just like that my Sunday was ruined.... damn you fake voters ;(

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    I stopped looking at those things like.....9 years ago :P.
  • KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

ESO was overhyped anyways.

It's the weekend, so is it possible people are jumping ship to WildStar and changing their votes - which they are allowed to do at any time.

Neither game really turns me on much, although I think WildStar has an edge by going after WoW fans.

EDIT: I spot checked the 1st page of ESO hype comments, and 2 users were not found .. one was negative, while the other was positive.  Hardly a conspiracy?

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• AbimorAbimor Member RarePosts: 874
    I hate to admit this but i dont even know how to vote for a game to increase its hype lol.
  • asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    To behonest, I have no idea how the hype thing works here.  I don't pay attention to it much at all.  I just figured it was somehow linked to site traffic for specific games or something, lol.

You make me like charity

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Karteli

It's the weekend, so is it possible people are jumping ship to WildStar and changing their votes - which they are allowed to do at any time.

Neither game really turns me on much, although I think WildStar has an edge by going after WoW fans.

EDIT: I spot checked the 1st page of ESO hype comments, and 2 users were not found .. one was negative, while the other was positive.  Hardly a conspiracy?

All the games were overhyped then.  No way should CU or Wildstar should be hyped higher.  ESO led the hype meter for the last 4-5 months.

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• SorninSornin Member Posts: 1,133

I do not know what is worse: trying to manipulate the hype metre or caring what the hype for a game is. :P

It is a silly system because it encourages people to hype the game they are currently in love with to 10, and all others to 0, as it is a relative system. By poorly judging others it makes your favoured game better on relative terms.

Also, smaller games with fewer votes can be manipulated by larger amounts. A game with 10,000 votes is barely changed by a single vote, whereas a game with 10 votes can be massively changed by 1 vote.

In short, the system is lame, ignore it, and just support the games you want with your patronage or discussion. Ignore the hype.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by azzamasin

All the games were overhyped then.  No way should CU or Wildstar should be hyped higher.  ESO led the hype meter for the last 4-5 months.

I'm more hyped for Wildstar after I read about it.

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142

Before they announced beta registration ESO had a hype score around 6, its only since then that it got a high hype score.

Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

Dear mods, I think its time you reset the hype meters on the front page.  There has been an ongoing concerted efforts to rig the hype meter of the top 3-4 games and as such they should be reset.  I just checked the last few pages of hype from ESO and more then half of the newest hype comments were made by users no longer in the system.  Clearly in violation of the rules of hype.  I don't see how a game can go from 7.42 to a 7.37 in less then one day. 

Reset the hype meters and ban those accounts rigging the system.

The first thing that popped into my head was an episode of The Big Bang Theory where they are getting ready to fight robots in a tournament and decide to fight a colleagues robot beforehand and one of them says "Just to be clear we are using official Tournament robot fighting rules right."  and the other guy responds "are you serious?  This is a street fight, there are no rules in a street fight, we fight to the death."  The hype meter and hype in general is like watching a sitcom and there is a new episode every 6 months or so.

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    Actually I am more hyped for the hype meter than any the games listed there. The values are too high for all of them. There is really no future MMO currently which would deserve an average hype >7.5 atm.
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    There's a hype meter? Huh!

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

Ahh this thread started a hype war eh .. now ArcheAge is #1, WildStar is #2, while ESO gained 0.03 points .. lol

/popcorn

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

In the hour since I made this post Arche Age jumped up to 1st place.

Something is seriously amiss here.  Games dont jump that high in hype in the span of an hour.  Please mods look into this.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by BizkitNL
    I stopped looking at those things like.....9 years ago :P.

^^^ This.

I don't understand why people get worked up about this most useless of site features that is meaningless and I wouldn't be sad to see gone.

Something is seriously amiss here.  Games dont jump that high in hype in the span of an hour.  Please mods look into this.

What you did was have people check the hype meters, something which they probably don't do very often anyways :D

Ahh this thread started a hype war eh .. now ArcheAge is #1, WildStar is #2, while ESO gained 0.03 points .. lol

/popcorn

Yeah, I remember when Mechwarrior online first got put on the site.  At the time GW2 was #1 on the hypemeter and when Mechwarrior first showed up there were a dozen or so votes and it had shot up to #1 and such a shitstorm has not been seen since, at least not when it comes to the hypemeter.

Most people don't even pay any attention to the hypmeter and when you brought it up they went flocking to it just to screw around.  I know I did.  I had forgotten that I had even rated TES until I went to go rate it after reading your op.  Also decided to rate Wildstar as well.  I never would have if you hadn't brought my attention to it.