Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Generation of Gamers

flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
From reading posts on this site, I get the idea many players started with pen and paper tabletop games and made the switch to Ultima Online, Everquest, and WoW when they launched.   I realize I'm an anomaly.   I didnt start gaming until my mid 30s and never even heard of those other games at the time.   I just recently bought the D and D bundle on GoG to play all these games people rave about and I have never played.  Anyway.....Is there a new generation of kids out there getting into gaming or is gaming something old people now do?   I wonder if there is much reason for kids to get into gaming today.   Ma'ybe they are all on consoles and dont bother with PC games.   Any thoughts?

Comments

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by flizzer
    From reading posts on this site, I get the idea many players started with pen and paper tabletop games and made the switch to Ultima Online, Everquest, and WoW when they launched.   I realize I'm an anomaly.   I didnt start gaming until my mid 30s and never even heard of those other games at the time.   I just recently bought the D and D bundle on GoG to play all these games people rave about and I have never played.  Anyway.....Is there a new generation of kids out there getting into gaming or is gaming something old people now do?   I wonder if there is much reason for kids to get into gaming today.   Ma'ybe they are all on consoles and dont bother with PC games.   Any thoughts?

I think that the majority of new people getting into games will be console gamers. I feel that when kids have parent gamers that they might turn into pc gamers on later age. Don't forget pc gaming is a pretty expansive hobby, keeping your system up to date with hardware, something you don't need to worry about with a console, pc games long term are more expensive cause there is a much larger 2nd hand console game trade, while pc games might find their way quickly into illegal downloads.

I feel console games visually look amazing today.......pure based on them being console's. Now due to me being a pc gamer console games don't look that amazing in comparison. But do you really think kids will see that much of a difference, obviously some will. But I do feel that the older and more experianced you get with gaming the more you will appriciatte the smaller details, details that perhaps this new generation just takes for granted.

I also don't know if people that just started with gaming will feel comfertable with games of the old, again some perhaps might, but those games are A: very dated in visuals if you atleast are somewhat up to date with games and they where so completely different than what most new gamers are used to seeing today.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by DMKano

There's always new gamers, my nephews are 10 and 14, the ten years old is still into XBOX, but the 14 year old switched to PC a year ago.

They both prefer online/social games that don't require  lot of time investment, so shooter games basically.

Older MMORPGs with deeper game systems are boring to them, they recently started playing newly released Defiance, and are loving it.

I weened my son on old school MMO's such as Lineage 1/2, DAOC and vanilla WOW (his guild was raiding Naxx when he was 14 or so) as well as more recent titles such as Aion, LOTRO, AOC to name a few.

He's 20 now and between  school, work, friends etc he doesn't seem to have time/interest in MMORPG's and spends most of his time playing LOL with his friends. (and an occasional foray into GW2)

He always did favor the PVP side of MMO's so perhaps this makes sense, and who knows how his tastes may change as time goes on.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• LeaningKidGokuLeaningKidGoku Member Posts: 41
    Originally posted by Reklaw

I think that the majority of new people getting into games will be console gamers. I feel that when kids have parent gamers that they might turn into pc gamers on later age. Don't forget pc gaming is a pretty expansive hobby, keeping your system up to date with hardware, something you don't need to worry about with a console, pc games long term are more expensive cause there is a much larger 2nd hand console game trade, while pc games might find their way quickly into illegal downloads.

I feel console games visually look amazing today.......pure based on them being console's. Now due to me being a pc gamer console games don't look that amazing in comparison. But do you really think kids will see that much of a difference, obviously some will. But I do feel that the older and more experianced you get with gaming the more you will appriciatte the smaller details, details that perhaps this new generation just takes for granted.

I also don't know if people that just started with gaming will feel comfertable with games of the old, again some perhaps might, but those games are A: very dated in visuals if you atleast are somewhat up to date with games and they where so completely different than what most new gamers are used to seeing today.

I've recently just got my 64 year old Grandma to play MMORPGs, she always ask me what am I playing when she walks by and when I explain what I am doing she gets very interested since she play games very similar to MMORPGs on facebook. -_-

But the game I really got her playing is, Runescape, lmao.  I know it's wierd but she's interested in the whole fishing and cooking and  etc. Her Combat level may still be low, but she got her, cooking and fishing level is in its 40s. And she is now currently working on, Herblore.

And to me is this just amazing cause I would of never thought even Runescape would atleast be one that she is interested in. But hey, I guess most players start off where most of us began.

• MorgarenMorgaren Member UncommonPosts: 397
    Kids are going to discover this amazing thing called outside. It is gonna take the world by storm, you just wait.
  • JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984

I live where all four seasons show there force, Central USA Illinois, and the weather has just started getting nice enough to think of outdoor activities.  Gaming will always be number one but not because I don't know how to breathe in fresh air (tho I admit sunshine can make my skin smoke a bit).  I like evening strolls and late nights.  So I know what the outdoor world looks like!

I have no problem with my relatives gaming night and day.  But the state gaming has been in lately I see them return to inventing, reading, writing stories, and going outside more and more these days.

I long for days gaming pulled us away from all things good a pure.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Originally posted by LeaningKidGoku

I've recently just got my 64 year old Grandma to play MMORPGs, she always ask me what am I playing when she walks by and when I explain what I am doing she gets very interested since she play games very similar to MMORPGs on facebook. -_-

But the game I really got her playing is, Runescape, lmao.  I know it's wierd but she's interested in the whole fishing and cooking and  etc. Her Combat level may still be low, but she got her, cooking and fishing level is in its 40s. And she is now currently working on, Herblore.

And to me is this just amazing cause I would of never thought even Runescape would atleast be one that she is interested in. But hey, I guess most players start off where most of us began.

I love that!  I started with Runescape.   Don't you just love being called a noob by an 11-year old, lol

• Raithe-NorRaithe-Nor Member Posts: 315
    Anyway.....Is there a new generation of kids out there getting into gaming or is gaming something old people now do?

I assure you that kids are very much into gaming.  Just like many adult gamers, however, kid gamers are very sensitive to balance issues (its an actual gamer thing).  They don't like games that have significant investment periods required to achieve a level of competability and they really don't like being able to choose a path through that investment period that will leave them "gimped" for longterm gameplay.

Modern MMOs allow both and often enforce the former.

Modern MMOs cater to the very type of player that they shouldn't:  the non-player, the grinder.  Take Darkfall as a perfect and textbook-like example.  In the beginning it had a large number of creative, cooperative players that seized control of a large section of the world and made a kingdom.  Towards the end, the game was almost entirely inhabited by griefing, hacking, grinding newbie gankers that would hide in their clan cities (macroing) until getting up the gumption to go gank all the new players that might feed the game's population.

Even mmorpg.com is noticeably smaller than it was just a few short years ago.  WoW has to release an expansion to increase player numbers to points lower than 2008, even though the Internet is considerably larger now (in 2013).  These are all characteristics of a failed MMO model that continues to be perpetuated by gamers from the first decade of this millenium that have turned into developers.

In other words, MMO gaming is unpopular because it has become everything BUT an actual game.

• LeaningKidGokuLeaningKidGoku Member Posts: 41
    Originally posted by LeaningKidGoku

I love that!  I started with Runescape.   Don't you just love being called a noob by an 11-year old, lol

Lmao, she actually ignore everyone most of the time, until she couldn't reach me and asked for help on the game, which was funny because after he helped her he was trying to get my Grandma to be her boyfriend... I just told her to block him and keep going,  Lmao.

And hell yeah, most people I know who play MMORPGs started with. Runescape.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Morgaren
    Kids are going to discover this amazing thing called outside. It is gonna take the world by storm, you just wait.
    Don't believe that "NFL Play 60" propaganda! lol

With cell phone, tablet, PSP, DS and such, kids (and adults) can have the best of both worlds: Gaming outdoors!

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

There are always new gamers, obviously.  More now than ever.

What there isn't is a significant difference in what early and current gamers want: Pre-MMORPG PC gaming was just as much about fun as modern MMORPGs, and it's up to the individual to decide whether or not they want to slander Fun by calling it "instant gratification" (implying that it's somehow better for games to hide their fun behind non-fun things like downtime.)

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

They won't know what to do.  They'll look for a guy with a question mark over his head and when they can't find him they'll go back in the house.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Games I was playing as a kid, the kids of today woudl find boring. Probly because I didn't have a computer til the 80s

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• Pixel_JockeyPixel_Jockey Member Posts: 165
    Originally posted by dave6660

They won't know what to do.  They'll look for a guy with a question mark over his head and when they can't find him they'll go back in the house.

I lol'd to this.