Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it late to start the game?

DolmongDolmong Member Posts: 515

I got this game from launch, but I hardly play it coz of real life issue.

Now I like to start MMO coz I missed it, and looks like GW2 a good place to be.

1.)  How you feel about this game so far?  

2.) I'm a casual gamer, and I have lots of busy real life stuffs going on, will I still be having fun?

3.) Hows the questing and dungones?  I don't have time for long hours and raid, will I still be enjoying the game?

4.) I'm not big fans of PvP, but I do enjoy world event pvp if play together, how was it?  Rewarding?

5.)  Is this game rewarding towards gears/achievement if I spend time on it?

6.) More details will be good to me !! :)  such as any future plan/expansion that GW2 is planning to do ?? 

Great thanks guys for any insight.

Comments

• tintilinictintilinic Member Posts: 283
    Originally posted by Dolmong

2.) I'm a casual gamer, and I have lots of busy real life stuffs going on, will I still be having fun?

3.) Hows the questing and dungones?  I don't have time for long hours and raid, will I still be enjoying the game?

4.) I'm not big fans of PvP, but I do enjoy world event pvp if play together, how was it?  Rewarding?

6.) More details will be good to me !! :)  such as any future plan/expansion that GW2 is planning to do ?? 

1. I might say its best MMO ive played. And i stared playing MMOs in 2002

2. Its great for casuals and its good for hardcores, fun in GW2 starts at level 1, dont need to constantly farm something for false promise of fun

3. You dont have to step your foot into dungeon if you dont want to, it play however you want game :) DUngeons are 20-30 minutes on average i would say

4. PvP is gem of GW2. You have open world PvP that is WvWvW and your regular battegrounds as sPvP. YOu can start both at level 1 if you want. And WvWvW is most fun, you can level there and its decently rewarding, though not as rewarding as PvE still

5. It is. Theres no gear progression in GW2, its all horizontal, every class has several valid builds and every build needs different stats on gear, or if you like certain look you go after different skins Everything you do ingame rewarsds you with some sort of currency that can be traded for gear, ie. gold/karma/laurels/badges.

6. Its "Play how you want to" game, theres no forcing you to do anything and thats the greatest thing...ever :) Next thing is, its never tooo late to start GW2 since noone will be "left behind" in anything. So even if you havent played in a while you can just pick up where you left :)

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by tintilinic
    6. Its "Play how you want to" game, theres no forcing you to do anything and thats the greatest thing...ever :)

Really? After all the "fan" backlash about "Your doing it wrong" speeches?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Nitth

6. Its "Play how you want to" game, theres no forcing you to do anything and thats the greatest thing...ever :)

Playing "how you want to" doesn't mean you can play it as a flight simulator.

Playing GW2 as if it is a "main character game", a game where leveling is something to be rushed so you can do instances, a game where the lure is gear numbers, yeah, it isn't a good way to play it.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

Playing GW2 as if it is a "main character game", a game where leveling is something to be rushed so you can do instances, a game where the lure is gear numbers, yeah, it isn't a good way to play it.

i think you'll find what he was talking about was the fact that you have to do combat in a certain way, and that its totally possible to gimp your toon if you don't follow some fairly strict guidlines on skills and .. how you fight, you either get with the program, or you die a lot.. the name of the game is kiting and dodging, with lots of weapons switches to maximise skill use, not sure where you got the whole levelling so you can do instances thing from tbh, or gear numbers, as gear isnt probably as much of an issue in this as in other games.image

• bugmenobugmeno Member Posts: 85
    Great, i would be leveling up my alts (7 months into GW2 and i only got 1x 80); but can´t, offline games asking for my attention (Bioshock, DS3 etc..)

Yes, find others like you and join a guild. Keep in mind GW2 is still a MMORPG (more a CMMORPG), you wont get stuff fro free, armor sets, weapons, theorycrafting, crafting and so on, so ;)

No raids, yet. Dungeons depends if you happen to join a Exploit Group. Arah full run (4 path, mediocre group 4h+ easily), AC 1h as well (all 3 paths, prolly less if you have the right setup, 4x warrior 1x mesmer)

Compared to GW1, the sPVP is a joke (capture the Fla... Point/Base! PVP is cr-p, Wv3 on the other hand is a great expierence and fun (12k kills roamer)

Yes, like with any other RPG out there. Spend time, get Reward´d after (armor, weapons) add a 2nd Life or ask some chinsese Friend to join : Get Legendary Weapons ;)

They have added free content since launch like never seen before, smaller ones to bigger ones (Kraka, Wv3 etc..). 2013 according them wont ahve any expansion, don´t need one yet tbh. (enough stuff todo, alts, getting armor sets alts, theorycrafting and for some lucky bastards : farming/real grinding for legendary weapons)

Great game for 60 Bucks! Have fun.

• A1D3NA1D3N Member UncommonPosts: 276

so whats the end game of gw2?

i brought gw2 and just cant seem to get into it because i go into pvp zone and it makes u lvl 80... so there is no leveling up to do... what do i grind for? what do i do pve quests and kill monsters for? what does pvp do? just give me items? do u get stronger from pve?

Currently Playing:
    ...... :(

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

There's a pretty huge difference between' playing how you want', and 'understanding the game you are playing'. Many players confused the two and got jaded about it.

GW2 is not a game designed to be a WoW clone, still some people try to treat it like one.

GW2 is a game designed to be an MMO which rewards players for basically just going out and doing w/e in the world. Most players that actually accept this have a blast with the game, though the game is definitely not for everyone.

Case in point, a lot of people complained about the dynamic events not being 'random' or being 'just like same old quests'. What they essentially were doing was going straight for heart NPCs, and playing the game as if it was the same old quests, and then assuming that that was the whole game & complained about it.

It's not unlike Farcry 3. If you want to, you can literally play the game like the most linear, story-driven quest grind of a game there is. However, you would be choosing to play that way, so to turn around and then criticize the game for this is very hypocritical. That's essentially what happened with a lot of initial players & guild wars 2. Some realize this now, many don't.

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    I bought it and played at launch for a bit. Quit for a while, sold all my pc equipment, I have to admit this is one game I miss3d enough to buy another pc. Cant wait to get it and jump back into some wvwvw
    Originally posted by A1D3N

i brought gw2 and just cant seem to get into it because i go into pvp zone and it makes u lvl 80... so there is no leveling up to do... what do i grind for? what do i do pve quests and kill monsters for? what does pvp do? just give me items? do u get stronger from pve?

The game isn't designed for that.

There are grinds, but the game is all about customization. You literally choose what you want to 'grind for'. If you want some of the cooler armor in the game, you will need to work for it. However, you won't be handicapped by not having the coolest gear.

It's a different sort of MMO with an entirely different type of focus than games like WoW, EQ, etc. If you were expecting more of those types of games, you probably bought the wrong game.

The 'end game', if you want to call it that for GW2, is completing the maps / personal story, customizing your character & gear, doing fractals / dungeons, getting your sPvP rank up, working towards a legendary weapon (or rare mystic forge weapon), getting your crafts lvled up, guild missions, world bosses, finding secrets, jumping puzzles, & WvW.

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Since you already have it, why not just try playing it instead of asking?

It is decently fun for a month or two. The world looks great and the dynamic event system while overhyped works reasonably well especially when there are other players around especially in the early zones. I don't like the skill system and all of the classes feel limited and uninteresting. The TTK in PvE is balanced for zerging events and is too high for enjoyable soloing on many classes. When you play at offhours like me, soloing is something you'll have to do a lot depending on what server you're on.

Absolutely. The level curve is pretty flat and there are lots of ways to gain xp, so it is easy to continually advance your character even in small play sessions.

The only real questing there is the personal story. I find it to be terrible in multiple respects and have given up doing it on all toons. I have not done any of the dungeons because that type of things doesn't interest me.

I found WvW to be very boring and unrewarding but YMMV especially if you mainly like taking keeps.

Yes and no. There isn't as much of a focus on gear progression as in many other MMOs. But there's still plenty of achievements you can try to do such as world completion or legendary weapons.

No announced plans for retail expansions. They are focused on free content updates for now.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

i think you'll find what he was talking about was the fact that you have to do combat in a certain way, and that its totally possible to gimp your toon if you don't follow some fairly strict guidlines on skills and .. how you fight, you either get with the program, or you die a lot.. the name of the game is kiting and dodging, with lots of weapons switches to maximise skill use, not sure where you got the whole levelling so you can do instances thing from tbh, or gear numbers, as gear isnt probably as much of an issue in this as in other games.image

To be fair, that's kind of a naive way of looking at the game. It's idealistic to an impossible level. You can play 'how you want', but that never, ever translates into 'playing how you want will always = the best solution to every problem, and you'll always have the best character ever'. It just can't work that way. The truth of the matter is that, with freedom, comes the freedom to make bad decisions.

As for being forced to do combat a 'certain way', well.. there are a few ways to look at it. One is to say 'there isn't enough variety, because I want to play my guardian like a super ranged DPS class that doesn't have to dodge'. The other would be to say 'hmm... well that's not really what the guardian is about, but this ranger over here can do that pretty nicely'. Or 'I like warriors, but I hate dodging in melee'. Well, warriors are very reliant on that to stay alive, however guardians can get away with minimal dodging and still be fine for the majority of fights.

Really, the game does accomodate most playstyles. It'll never be able to accomodate them all, because certain playstyles cancel each other out. That said, it does give players the freedom to choose how they want to play the game, but that never means that the choice a player makes will be a good one.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

End game = really really need to get in a guild with a good active group of people then go with the flow (with voice chat)  Social interaction makes a huge differences to the game.  RE bumping to 80, You can level at a pace of your choosing but still join in with your teams tactics in PVP (your gear is inferior though - thats why you want to be 80)  RE levelling,  pretty standard fare for mmorgs, level to explore the world/get gold/level up to get access to more content such as dungeons and higher zones that will own you.

RE OP, there is no significant gear tier race, so notthing to fall behind on, just play the gam at your own pace, absolutely no need/benefit on rushing the levelling.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• FIXTHECAMERAFIXTHECAMERA Member Posts: 55

You're a casual gamer? You've chosen the PERFECT game.

1. This game has no sense of direction and is not rewarding for anything you do, want to pvp? Jump straight in, want to raid? I guess you have to at least level for that, but don't expect end game to be difficult, there's not even raids that go passed 5 players so things won't get confusing don't worry.

2. Yes, you'll be having lots of fun as a casual gamer, in fact I've never seen a game designed so much around casuals and instant gratification.

3. You won't have to spend hours at all, dungeons are designed to be short and easy, there's no particular strategies or coordination required in dungeons, out with that trashy trinity! Every class can heal and dps and don't need to do any form of CC or anything difficult that would take your attention away from spamming the 5 skills you'll have until end game and beyond. This game is especially known for it's great questing, you jump straight in, the event, without talking to any NPC, just walk in the zone where the quest is taking place, and you can stand there until other people finish the event and be rewarded for it.

4. Doesn't sound like you like the smaller scale pvp which takes coordination, timing, reflexes, improvising. Well don't worry, when it comes to the actual PLAYER vs PLAYER, in things like WvW you just sort of go with the flow, jump in the crowd, spam buttons until you die, very relaxing and great for a casual experience.

5. Yes, the game is very rewarding, and so many people on here will agree with me, especially for hardcore players, a hardcore player who spends hours per day progressing their character will be at an extremely high advantage over casual players. But somehow at the same time, a casual player who spends no time won't be too much at a disadvantage to hardcore players, the game's just magic like that :)

6. One of the best games I've ever played coming from an MMO veteran, I laugh at the noobs who say this is the worst game ever made, hahahaha stupid noobs! They talk without even trying the game! What hardcore player who wants a challenging game would dare call GW2 bad? Hahahahahaha.

Edit: Almost forgot, there's no world pvp, no dueling around the world, can't trade either, and your level gets scaled down to whatever zone you're in, so if you go back to the level 1 area you'll be scaled down you can't just go around one hitting mobs.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
     Fortunately the OP is a 'casual' player so he will be able to have fun alongside fellow players (no real concept of elitism exists in GW2).  To OP, good point raised here, learn to use all the skills as early as possible, its possible to play as above with the 5 skills, but thats really basic beginner level stuff, you want to learn to weapon swap or elemental swap etc as soon as you can, you can end up with 30 plus skils constantly in use + trait swapping etc, much more rewarding and fun.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• DolmongDolmong Member Posts: 515

I'm actually looking for something like Asheron's Call, I know is old, but will this game give me this feeling?

I really like to have housing though !! I miss it!

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558

I'm actually looking for something like Asheron's Call, I know is old, but will this game give me this feeling?

I really like to have housing though !! I miss it!

No, not in the least. GW2 is the epitome, of anti old school MMO games. This is probably the reason I liked it at first, but now I find it painful to even think of logging in.

• bugmenobugmeno Member Posts: 85

It´s because you have never played Guild Wars 1 ;) In GW1+2 you get level´d up to max level in sPVP, Wv3, but that does not mean you are eqaul to others, meaning that you have to get better gear (Pve) and have a great build for Wv3 (solo, group, defence etc..), you don´t get that when they level up to max level.

The stats are below of a true 80 players, you definitely notice a diffrence when you get proper gear :) The noob hunt is over in Gw2, there are still some peeps that risk going out in up level´d 80 (alts) and believe they have still a chance like in week 1 of the game.

Wv3 = you need PVE gear if you solo or join small groups <10, even for mass battlles during a StoneMist Meeting you should have level 80 gear and more imporantly every traits possible (level 65 + ). Of course this applies to a warrior, guardian and few other classes, i bet a mesmer or a thief level up to 80 can still be a PITA (nerf them Anet ;)

Legendary Weapons are the End Game - Crafting in GW2, iv´reached 300G mark after 7 months (solo, no guild)... theoretically i need another 63 Months to get me 1x legenday Weapon (they sell for 3k or more Gold).

Dungeons, Armor that you get from Dungeons ( there are many, 3 path per Dungeons) are purely cosmetic/vanity. Dungeon Armor End Game Armor if you so will, but you can craft end game armor as well, if you have the cash.

GW2 is like Skyrim, the first play through. Explore the world, complete every map (!00%), discover every jumping puzzle and more importantly never use a waypoint if you don´t need to (even for selling white items, wall back)

Enjoy the world, unlike any other you have seen before. Every corner you will find something that will amuse you or not ;) I do start to see some zone to dry out (45- 65), due Wv3 addiction, crafting or FOTM runs (Fractals is/are the hign end Dungeon if you so will, like doing a Arah run with 4 noobs ;) all 4 paths!

And if you still happend to hit a wall, take a break that simple or play with an alt or not ;)

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454

I've been playing GW2 since launch and still having a blast.  Is it the best game I've ever played?  This site loves discussing that question with every game out there.  All I can say is that I'm still having fun and consider myself in the casual camp, which you describe yourself as.  I find the hardcore type player often disliking this game because they find it too easy.  In fact, be careful around this site because those who don't like the game will often be incensed if you do like it, lol. 

The World versus World is lots of fun and I often find myself staying up way too late on the weekends.  Let's face it.  The game was extremely hyped prior to release and what can really hold up to that type of pressure.  The dynamic events are interesting and fun, although i'm not certain they are "revolutionary"  as some may claim.  Although, it is interesting to see new games implementing this system and saying "like in GW2" , so I expect dynamic events a la GW2 are here to stay. 

It matters very little when you start the game.  I actually don't even care  about rushing to lvl 80 with my other characters.  You can get downleveled to a zone if you are too powerful for that area.  This allowed me to go back to many favorite areas even after reaching 80 and continue running around in them.  I was disappointed when I heard in some dev commentary that there are no current plans for an expansion.  They are delivering free montlhy updates which I find hit or miss.  

The combat and skill system might be one of my favorite in any game currently!   It really is that much fun.

• OgrelinOgrelin Member Posts: 636

It's not to late, it's a good game!

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Well technically, you're not equal to people in WvW, you're just the same level.  Your base stats are similar, but if you have better gear, you will perform better and kill faster.  You do get stronger from PvE, though some might say it's negligible.

As for the OP, the good thing about GW2 is that it's never too late to start.  Now a lot of MMO's operate differently.. say in WoW, if you took a year off like I have, you'd be left in the dust and not many people would want to take the time to get you up to speed.  It's happened to me and friends of mine in "raid-minded" games in the past.  Personally, I'd recommend joining story mode dungeons on http://gw2lfg.com/ (keep refreshing and do Caudecus' Manor or something low-level).  After a few runs, you'll get the basic hang of dungeons and the attitudes of people towards them.

Also, give the Super Adventure Box a try.  Just remember to count to 10 when you try to solo it and those freaking monkeys knock you off of platforms...

• lathaanlathaan Member UncommonPosts: 476
    you simply cant do anything wrong with GW2 other than not playing it. its cheaper than most sp games. and its better than most games. why even think about it? go!
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by lathaan
    you simply cant do anything wrong with GW2 other than not playing it. its cheaper than most sp games. and its better than most games. why even think about it? go!

Somewhere, beneath a bridge, something stirs......

• Sabnock34Sabnock34 Member UncommonPosts: 19
    Guild wars 2 is a great game. you can  ALWAYS find something to do! Plus the community is great.
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454

I'm starting to get a bit unnerved now.  A GW2 thread without someone saying it is the worst game ever and telling us why after about one weekend of playing!

Hmmm...let me try this then.

-'m  playing GW2 and it is a ghost town!  People are leaving the game in record numbers!   Sales figures must be inflated! 

How was that?

or

I dont have 100 skills to choose from.   EPIC FAIL!

There is no way in World versus World for opposing players  to notice my awesomeness!   I am just a souless avatar to them.  How can I get my ego massaged if I can't convince the other team I am so awesome!

or maybe

I can't spend endless hours just grinding for gear!

• Sabnock34Sabnock34 Member UncommonPosts: 19
    Originally posted by flizzer

I'm starting to get a bit unnerved now.  A GW2 thread without someone saying it is the worst game ever and telling us why after about one weekend of playing!

Hmmm...let me try this then.

-'m  playing GW2 and it is a ghost town!  People are leaving the game in record numbers!   Sales figures must be inflated! 

How was that?

or

I dont have 100 skills to choose from.   EPIC FAIL!

There is no way in World versus World for opposing players  to notice my awesomeness!   I am just a souless avatar to them.  How can I get my ego massaged if I can't convince the other team I am so awesome!

or maybe

I can't spend endless hours just grinding for gear!

LOL..maybe people are realising it is a very good game that you dont have to endlessly grind for hours