Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Playable with high pings ?

Anyone know if this game will be playable with a high ping ?

Lolipops !

Comments

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Yes, but there are some things you may not be able to do. For instance, being a great primalist probably isn't probable since Sacrafice is fairly easy to miss, you may also be required to use a pole arm, but all other classes are possible to play. What do you consider high ping though? 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Don't worry, if you have a high ping there is an easy solution.. tell your target not to move! image
  • sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    From australia to the US server i have 300-340 ping and i can play it fine, although lower ping gives u a bit of an advantage but when u get use to the ping u know how much leeway u need to give to compensate for the delay from the ping.
  • VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817
    Originally posted by xpiher
    Yes, but there are some things you may not be able to do. For instance, being a great primalist probably isn't probable since Sacrafice is fairly easy to miss, you may also be required to use a pole arm, but all other classes are possible to play. What do you consider high ping though? 

Well so far in all MMO's i have a 600ms ping. This is because my RL location is Barrow Alaska, for some reason Australians get better pings than me and i am technically on the mainland of NA. I am very competitive in PvP with MMO's so it seems to not be an issiue for me, but i was more concerned about the reticle style of attacking.

GW2 i hold my own and do not see any differences in WvWvW no matter how large of the population. 

I do have issues in Mechwarrior Online, but that game has terrible networking compared to other games.

Course i am not sure where DFUW has there NA server, i do wonder if i might get better pings from EU, who knows ?

Thanks for any of the replies to this.

Lolipops !

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by Voiidiin

Well so far in all MMO's i have a 600ms ping. This is because my RL location is Barrow Alaska, for some reason Australians get better pings than me and i am technically on the mainland of NA. I am very competitive in PvP with MMO's so it seems to not be an issiue for me, but i was more concerned about the reticle style of attacking.

GW2 i hold my own and do not see any differences in WvWvW no matter how large of the population. 

I do have issues in Mechwarrior Online, but that game has terrible networking compared to other games.

Course i am not sure where DFUW has there NA server, i do wonder if i might get better pings from EU, who knows ?

Austrial has better network than Alaska thats why they get better ping than you. Anyways, if you have 600ms, you won't be able to play any FPS games very well. You'll do ok as a warrior though, but I'd stay away from range dominate characters if you do choose to play the game.

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

Austrial has better network than Alaska thats why they get better ping than you. Anyways, if you have 600ms, you won't be able to play any FPS games very well. You'll do ok as a warrior though, but I'd stay away from range dominate characters if you do choose to play the game.

Australia still uses copper wires for there internet unfortuently, govement finaly getting round to putting fibreoptic cables in but there slow at doing so so be atlwast 5-10 years before everyone has fiber.

• HotcellHotcell Member UncommonPosts: 279

I'm in the same position as the OP. I live in Australia and hence, my ping to NA games are handicapped somehow. Sure you can do OK, but you can never beat someone with equal skill but with less latency.

So is the most viable option for people like us Warrior with Polearms? I'm asking because usually if you've latency issues, it's reocmmended to go for ranged character. They are usually less forgiving in terms of latency.

• MykellMykell Member UncommonPosts: 780
    Long as you find a clan / friends to run around with you'll be fine. You probably aren't going to an uber PK'er with that ping but you can still enjoy the game.
  • HotcellHotcell Member UncommonPosts: 279
    But what's the most forgiving class/wepaon combination for poeple with high latency? We may not be uber-PKer, but I'd like to minimize the latency disadvantage as much as I can.
  • BrownAleBrownAle Member Posts: 399
    Anyone know if this game will be playable with a high ping ?

multi player skirmishes...yes.

1vs1 youll either get stomped because of high ping (of use it as an excuse) or youll enjoy the natual lagswitching that occurs and be dubbed a cheater for it.

The old darkfall i did play with people who were in asia and had incredibly high ping..they were the few i could easily beat in 1vs1.

You can still enjoy pve, and you still can be of use in seiges.  Just dont expect to get jumped and win.  Dont expect to duel low ping players and have an advantage...and be prepared for cheater accusations if your high ping flares up mid fight and your opponent is hitting your character thats frozen on his screen as you run around on your screen...that only happens if you have horrid ping or pull your plug/lag switch.

• NaowutNaowut Member UncommonPosts: 663

I played a few months on Darkfall 1s NA server and had about 200 ping.

The only thing I had to get used to was archery, but since archery is already based on predicting it was pretty easy to adjust.

No experience with high ping in DF UW but I imagine it wont be any different.