Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shameless begging :)

JaldrenJaldren Member UncommonPosts: 363

Would love to try this game, someone has a beta key to spare?

Thanks!

Comments

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Also, I'm pretty sure it's not in beta yet.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821
    Originally posted by Jaldren

Thanks!

Strange title... anyway to answer your question:

The Closed Beta is not out yet. The current Beta phase was or still is Friends&Family. But I personally do expect them to release the CBT by the end of this months alongside Neverwinter going Open Beta.

Would be an intelligent step to spread the word à la "Have you heard of WS? It's currently in Closed Beta phase as we speak." and so forth

The official word on when the Closed Beta will arrive us is: "Soon." - or was it "Very soon." ? Something on that line.

So I believe not more than one month.

Like I've said, I'd like to repeat myself on this one: As a Veteran in MMO-Gaming - I can not wait!

• AazeniusAazenius Member Posts: 13
    Originally posted by Jaldren

Thanks!

Wildstar is currently not in Beta Testing. It is in Friends and Family Alpha testing. If you want to get into the beta, go here: http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/beta/

Good luck!

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

The only thing I can say about Wildstar personally is that after watching gameplay videos and trailers I get the same vibe I got when I did the same for The Old Republic... I hope my instinct's wrong but yeah... generally it can spot a turd (be it game, movie, song,etc) a mile away with a fair degree of reliability.

PS: To someone pointing out Wildstar's combat is radically different from WoW's... yes it is, just like the questing the The Old Republic was radically different from the questing in WoW.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Originally posted by Dihoru

PS: To someone pointing out Wildstar's combat is radically different from WoW's... yes it is, just like the questing the The Old Republic was radically different from the questing in WoW.

Did you even listen to anybody who played it at PAX? They all universally said it played like GW2's combat. You have a limited action set, not a million action bars. You have an active dodge and free-form targeting.

You've either never looked into it or are purposefuly spreading disinformation. Either way, your post is incorrect. Even a non-WildStar fan will tell you that.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Visually, it looks like they directly ripped their aesthetics from WoW. But I've seen gameplay that makes it look more like an action game than a typical tab target MMORPG. Besides that, I was also reading about warplots and the paths in the game and it seems like there are a few areas at least where it takes some serious departures from what we've seen in WoW.

But yeah, it's aesthetics are insanely similar in my view.

Originally posted by colddog04

Visually, it looks like they directly ripped their aesthetics from WoW. 

At a glance they only look similar because they both share the same philosophy. Actually WildStar is much more 'cartoony' since they took their influences from animation (i.e., Disney, Don Bluth, Pixar). I suppose it's easy to assume it's a copy. Actually WoW went a bit more realistic look than WildStar did if you look at the pic.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    They don't look like they play the same to me.  I don't remember seeing telegraphing and dodging in WoW combat.  But anyway, for the remainder, I don't know what the problem is.. WoW never played that poorly really, it's the features outside of combat that became stale, as well as the terrible story after Wotlk.  I happen to really enjoy the Wildstar art style.  If all you have to complain about is that "it's cartoony", play something else.  I'm sure the *cough* massive amount of people playing gritty realistic MMO's will tell you how that's working out.
  • MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Originally posted by Roxtarr

At a glance they only look similar because they both share the same philosophy. Actually WildStar is much more 'cartoony' since they took their influences from animation (i.e., Disney, Don Bluth, Pixar). I suppose it's easy to assume it's a copy. Actually WoW went a bit more realistic look than WildStar did if you look at the pic.

I would agree with you about the graphics, and that wow even looks slightly more realistic.  While some people won't care, and may even prefer this graphical style, there is no question that it is going to consistently be bashed for this.  It's already happened, whether it's on Massively or MMORPG.com or in my guild chat in other games or wherever.  People judge a book by it's cover all the time, whether they should or not - and this graphic choice will hurt them.  No one complains when a game looks realistic, they do complain when a game looks cartoony.

Originally posted by Margulis

No one complains when a game looks realistic, they do complain when a game looks cartoony.

Would love to see where these millions of players are that are complaining about cartoony MMO's. If you find them, let me know.

In addition, they KIND of MMO you are making has a lot to do with the graphical style you choose. Obviously, Age of Conan wouldn't work with the art style of WildStar. I would argue that the kind of game Carbine is making woudn't work with 'realistic' graphics.

A traditional-animation art-style allows for mechanics that realistic graphics can't get away with. WildStar will have zones on Meteors, Moons and all kinds of weird places that wouldn't have the same atmosphere if they were chained to looking 'realistic'.

In "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" the movie completely opens up when you get to Toon Town. In a cartoon literally anything is possible and nothing is limited to 'realistic' rules. This is WildStar's world.

Ultimately, you can't do 'realistic' and have the kind of game WildStar will be. Imagine this NPC (MMOhut press vid showing Vending Machine enemy) with 'realistic' graphics. It just wouldn't work, in my opinion.

My argument is that there are far fewer players that require their MMO to be 'realistic' than want interesting and creative gameplay and environments.

What?  Personally, I and many others thought TSW looked bad because it tried to be realistic and just looked awkward in the process.  "No one complains when a game looks realistic".  Well yeah, but that's not really the issue I have..
  • doorb7doorb7 Member UncommonPosts: 61
    lol appears my posts have been deleted in this thread? either way my comments still stand you must be pretty silly to think this is a wow clone. same silly ppl who said gw2 is a wow clone, having an opinion on a game is fine, not liking a game is fine, but spouting false information is not.

• AxewielderxAxewielderx Member Posts: 96

Interesting, my posts defending Wildstar as a non-wow clone were deleted. Seems the staff here at mmorpg are confused. You are supposed to delete threads that insult games, not the ones that defend the games. Perhaps I should start looking for another game website where the mods are a little less confused about their jobs.:)

If we fail to change the things of today, they will become the lucid nighmares of tommorrow.

God stuff, made me giggle.

Who ever played like all MMORPGs out there, knows that the grafics look more like Allods.

But comparisons are for the weak (minded).

• Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530
    OP, don't shamelessly beg for a beta key... Beg proudly! If I get one I'll definitely be back to let you know you can't have it cause I'm gonna play the beneezuz outa this game. I'm salivating for a good SiFi MMO and hoping that this fits the bill; but good luck though.

As for the WoW clone comments, yep! I see the similarity, don't care either.
  • NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    What?  Personally, I and many others thought TSW looked bad because it tried to be realistic and just looked awkward in the process.  "No one complains when a game looks realistic".  Well yeah, but that's not really the issue I have..

True. People don't complain that "the game is realistic"... They complain that "the game is ugly". :) That's precisely what happened with TSW, or even EQ2. It's hard to not dip into the uncanny valley without going stylized... And what's worse is that even if people don't get the uncanny valley vibe now, they just might two years down the road, because people's standards for what looks comfortably human tend to always go up.

Stuff like WOW... They don't do uncanny valley, they just risk looking a bit too old fashioned... but even then they have their charm, as old cartoons have their charm. I still watch the Fleischer Superman cartoons, and I'll even say they're still among my favorites.

If anything, WildStar is doing the right thing by going all the way and coming up with a really stylized look that freely acknowledges their "cartoony" roots. I for one am really digging it. 

• deviltheorydeviltheory Member Posts: 33
    Art direction actually reminds me a lot of Ratchet and Clank or even Jak and Daxter.  That was the first reason I started looking into the game in the first place lol.  So far I like what I see, it'll be a shame if this doesn't pan out the way I want it to.  Starting to think I'm never going to find an MMO that will hold my interest anymore lol.
    Originally posted by deviltheory
    Art direction actually reminds me a lot of Ratchet and Clank or even Jak and Daxter.  That was the first reason I started looking into the game in the first place lol.  So far I like what I see, it'll be a shame if this doesn't pan out the way I want it to.  Starting to think I'm never going to find an MMO that will hold my interest anymore lol.

No offense but are people nowadays really only getting into stuff they basicly think they know from their memories, such as you with Ratchet&Clank or other people making other comparisons to other games..

Is someone afraid of something new?

I personally have learned how I limit myself compairing games with eachother. You basicly limit your gaming experience when you compare this title with Ratchet&Clank in the first place. Because when you play it, your mind will automatically check each corner in that came if you see R&C in it. And if not, you will be disappointed. Automatically.

Basicly you disappoint yourself by comparing stuff. Easy as it is. So afterwards if you come up with things like "I thought this game would be like... and it wasnt /sad." dont blame the game, blame your memory and your mind :) and how you use them.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    They don't look like they play the same to me.  I don't remember seeing telegraphing and dodging in WoW combat.  But anyway, for the remainder, I don't know what the problem is.. WoW never played that poorly really, it's the features outside of combat that became stale, as well as the terrible story after Wotlk.  I happen to really enjoy the Wildstar art style.  If all you have to complain about is that "it's cartoony", play something else.  I'm sure the *cough* massive amount of people playing gritty realistic MMO's will tell you how that's working out.

Most of the people haven't tried to play the game but visualy yes..WIldstar has un canny resemblance to WOW. Even i was left scratching my head when i first saw WIldstar in action.

The npc standing around with quest icon over their heads in a barren like area...who wouldn't be confused. Except for housing system which looks great the more i read about Wildstar more i get the feeling that devs are trying to get as many WOW features in game as possible. 40 man raids in Wildstar and focus on hardcore raiding is just another addition.

I thought we were moving past this game design.

• Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731

Originally posted by Dihoru
    The only thing I can say about Wildstar personally is that after watching gameplay videos and trailers I get the same vibe I got when I did the same for The Old Republic... I hope my instinct's wrong but yeah... generally it can spot a turd (be it game, movie, song,etc) a mile away with a fair degree of reliability. PS: To someone pointing out Wildstar's combat is radically different from WoW's... yes it is, just like the questing the The Old Republic was radically different from the questing in WoW.

if by radically different u mean voice over then comparison sucks. the combat is radically different from wow to wildstar. but questing was the same from wow to swtor. having voice didn't change the style of questing just how it was presented.

• Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731

Originally posted by Bigdaddyx
    Originally posted by Eir_S They don't look like they play the same to me.  I don't remember seeing telegraphing and dodging in WoW combat.  But anyway, for the remainder, I don't know what the problem is.. WoW never played that poorly really, it's the features outside of combat that became stale, as well as the terrible story after Wotlk.  I happen to really enjoy the Wildstar art style.  If all you have to complain about is that "it's cartoony", play something else.  I'm sure the *cough* massive amount of people playing gritty realistic MMO's will tell you how that's working out.
    Most of the people haven't tried to play the game but visualy yes..WIldstar has un cany resemblence to WOW. Even i was left scratching my head when i first saw WIldstar in action.

The npc standing around with quest icon over their heads in a barren like area...who wouldn't be confused. Except for hosuing system which looks great the more i read about Wildstar more i get the feeling that devs are trying to get as many WOW features in game as possible. 40 man raids in Wildstar and focus on hardcore raiding is just another addition.

I thought we were morving past this game design.

how many posts have u seen with wow vets askin for vanilla servers? maybe the wildstar devs r those vets and got tired of askin so they decided to make their own. just sayin:)
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

Most of the people haven't tried to play the game but visualy yes..WIldstar has un canny resemblance to WOW. Even i was left scratching my head when i first saw WIldstar in action.

The npc standing around with quest icon over their heads in a barren like area...who wouldn't be confused. Except for housing system which looks great the more i read about Wildstar more i get the feeling that devs are trying to get as many WOW features in game as possible. 40 man raids in Wildstar and focus on hardcore raiding is just another addition.

I thought we were moving past this game design.

Yeah.. unfortunately I have to agree with most of that.  I did see the mention of 10 man dungeons, which sounds like more doable content for someone with my gaming preferences, if I'm going to group up with more than 5 people at all.  Honestly, I'll be surprised if 40 mans even take off.

The quest giver NPC thing bugs me a little too, though my post was more about the ART style than the MMO style.  Again, I tend to agree that things like these should be improved upon or left in the past, but I still think the game looks to have a lot of personality and I'm willing to give it a shot.