Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What would you consider hands off in your mmos ?

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

What would you consider hands off in your mmos, sometimes BEFORE you would even try it ?

Even just a few years back, none of this would even be an issue, in fact they were never even in the mix.

My list of will-not-play :

1) Released F2P

2) Went F2P

3) Mega servers ( Kills community )

4) Zoning to servers ( Kills community )

5) Ridicules easy to play

6) Dungeon finder games ( Sometimes and depends on the game )

I hate to say it,but this leaves almost nothing for me to play.

Comments

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    I'm sitting here pondering deeply, trying to think of an mmo that did not sell me out because of the above list. The only mmos left would be EvE and Darkfall Unholey Wars. I know Darkfall is PvP and I like more of an everything game, but I'll have to research Darkfall. However time devoted to a clan may be a problem.
  • deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    I can pretty much agree with your list. I might try to play them but most likely will not pay money for doing so.
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072

Vendetta Online is an open-world PvP sandbox MMORPG that may match your description.  It is Not-Free-To-Play(tm).

The following is a recent article from Massively involving some hands-on impressions:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/04/03/gdc-2013-hands-on-with-vendetta-online-on-the-ipad/

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    Sry, lost me there with the "hands off" terminology.  Maybe because I'm out of coffee but I can't really get what you're saying.

• LeaningKidGokuLeaningKidGoku Member Posts: 41

I know this is gonna sound wrong, but gender-locked classes in MMOs is something I hate with a passion. Like whats the point? You didn't have enough time to make a gender for both classes? Like Scarlet Blade, it looks decent I know, but just because of the gender-locked classes I wouldn't know cause I wouldn't play it.

Like the reason I left Vindictus, at first it was ok, but then they gone add a class that wields scythes called, "Evie."

I was so pissed that they gender-locked it I quit the game after I worked hard to get to level 30.

I know it's nothing big for most guys I know who play MMORPGs on a gender-locked class, but for me if you can't atleast choose a class without choosing if your character is going to be male or female its lacking a big step in the customization.

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    The #1 thing that will make me walk away from any MMO is forced, open-world, full-loot PvP.  If I cannot completely and totally opt out of it, I'll take my time and money elsewhere.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043
    Originally posted by Cephus404
    The #1 thing that will make me walk away from any MMO is forced, open-world, full-loot PvP.  If I cannot completely and totally opt out of it, I'll take my time and money elsewhere.

This. I played EVE for 7 years but I never once deployed a POS in null sec knowing full well it was only a matter of time before someone with a capital fleet would just roll in and insta-gib it while I was at work or alseep. I refuse to participate in games where the Devs forced players to shank one another to keep "balance".

• KuviskiKuviski Member UncommonPosts: 215

Things that turn me personally away:

1) F2P (except if the model is to have non-free and free servers separate from each other)

2) The genre not being high fantasy. I just love high fantasy

3) Heavy instancing/solo instances

4) Overly used phasing

5) Dungeon Finder

6) Multiple "single-player type" difficulty modes  for the same content (such as for instanced raids)

7) Belonging in a guild not being important for the end game content.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Sandbox

FFA 

no faction PvP.

pvp focused.

no levels.

Few levels if it had levels.

no meaningful crafting.

instanced game world.

weapon based classes.

gender based classes.

race limited armor and weapon skin designed MMO.

no high fantasy armor models or weapon models..

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• StrommStromm Member Posts: 243
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

Sandbox

FFA 

no faction PvP.

pvp focused.

no levels.

no meaningful crafting.

instanced game world.

weapon based classes.

gender based classes.

Hehe, so basically every MMO ever?

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Originally posted by Stromm
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

Sandbox

FFA 

no faction PvP.

pvp focused.

no levels.

no meaningful crafting.

instanced game world.

weapon based classes.

gender based classes.

Hehe, so basically every MMO ever?

Yeah, I was thinking it left a pretty short list

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574

- Gender locked classes

- Poorly or goofily named classes

- Free-to-play games with too much emphasis on the cash shop. 

- Anything with central character development relying upon faction grind. 

• PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423
    Anything that contains a manual on how to use the cash shop. I understand developers have to make money but if I sense duplicity and/or constricted game play I'm out. 
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

1 Maybe my biggest peeve is ancient old school tech like the overhead Diablo type view of gaming.Then add in incredibly cheap objects liek that of Diablo or Starcraft ect ect and i am turned right off.

2 Hand holding,markers,sparkly paths ect ect.

3 ugly textures with no detail

4 talk of END  game.

5 Models....I know when a developer is trying to fool us by using one model.There is actuall ya lot of games doing this,one model thing,add a tattoo ,change the face,add horns some decals and pretend it is 5 races.Making models is a huge part fo game design,that is what operates throughout  the game with various animations.

6 buildings with no moving doors.This like points 2/4 is really lazy work and well CHEAP work.A total amateur knwos how to do it,so it tells me the dev was just cutting corners on effort.

7 i guess this should have been number 2 or 3 becuase it  is a definite game ending scenario for me.Thaty would games with no key mapping,set to the WASD only.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by delete5230

What would you consider hands off in your mmos, sometimes BEFORE you would even try it ?

Even just a few years back, none of this would even be an issue, in fact they were never even in the mix.

My list of will-not-play :

1) Released F2P

2) Went F2P

3) Mega servers ( Kills community )

4) Zoning to servers ( Kills community )

5) Ridicules easy to play

6) Dungeon finder games ( Sometimes and depends on the game )

And everything you listed is the future of MMO.  For good reason too I might add.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059
    I'll try just about anything except MMOs without combat that are essentially just 3D/2D chatrooms with virtual avatars.  If you are too picky you wind up missing out on a few gems.

Automatic Deal breakers for me are:

1. Indie development
    2. Games that were funded by Kickstarter and other crowd sourcing.
    3. Games that feature SciFi heavy elements (i.e. pew pew lazers)
    4. Games that feature something other then a single player avator in 3rd person.
    5. Games that do not have some form of Dungeon Finder or Group Finder (only if the game features Instanced content)
    6. Games which are Raid Centric and require elements of "Scheduling" to play (all games should be sporadic in nature.
    7. Games which feature forced grouping.
    8. Games which offer little to no Player progression (beyond gear).
    9. Games with strict linear paths from Character Creation to Level Cap.
    10. Games which feature Tab Targetting MMO combat.  *For many many years the claim I alway seen in games like WoW was less RNG and more Skill, and all of a sudden Skill based Action games come about and alot of people are upset*  Boggles my head really.

I am a product of Asheron's Call and and as such every MMO I play from here on out will be gauged by that standard.  The only true old school game which featured skill and allowed the solo player the opportunity to be jsut as good and powerful as someone else.

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Originally posted by azzamasin

1. Indie development
    4. Games that feature something other then a single player avator in 3rd person.
    5. Games that do not have some form of Dungeon Finder or Group Finder (only if the game features Instanced content)
    6. Games which are Raid Centric and require elements of "Scheduling" to play (all games should be sporadic in nature.
    10. Games which feature Tab Targetting MMO combat.  *For many many years the claim I alway seen in games like WoW was less RNG and more Skill, and all of a sudden Skill based Action games come about and alot of people are upset*  Boggles my head really.

I am a product of Asheron's Call and and as such every MMO I play from here on out will be gauged by that standard.  The only true old school game which featured skill and allowed the solo player the opportunity to be jsut as good and powerful as someone else.

So if an amazing-looking, amazing-playing MMORPG came out and you were having fun, then someone told you it was Kickstarted, you would throw down your keyboard and walk away from a good time?  Weird...

And calling WOW "RNG" when RNG has so little (read: almost nothing) to do with performance in any given role leaves me scratching my head too...

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

Originally posted by Axehilt

1. Indie development

So if an amazing-looking, amazing-playing MMORPG came out and you were having fun, then someone told you it was Kickstarted, you would throw down your keyboard and walk away from a good time?  Weird...

And calling WOW "RNG" when RNG has so little (read: almost nothing) to do with performance in any given role leaves me scratching my head too...

Well first of all Im a McDonalds, Walmart, Nickleback type of MMO player.  If its good for the masses its good for me.  I dislike anything Indie with a vehemet passion.  (call it my anti social, anti-hipster stance).  Secondly I follow MMO's very closely and I know what is triple-A and what was crowd sourced so I would never play the kickstarter game in the first place.  Lastly you call it weird but in all actuality I am part of the majority so in essence you are the weird one.

You are delluding yourself if you think WoW was anything other then an RNG based game.  It was at the start and was when I finished one of the greatest outcrys against the game.  In fact one could look back on mmochampions.com (when I played) and evry single day there was a blue post responding to some form of RNG.  For those who don't understand it, RNG is Random Number Generator.  WoW was littered wiht all sorts of RNG mechanics, especially within Defensive and offensive hidden numbers such as +hit and +block.  It was even more prevelant in Arena and PvP with things like Fear breaking on damage, Stormherald stun and offensive procs from overpowered items such as most trinkets.

• LivnthedreamLivnthedream Member Posts: 555

Nothing is really hands off mechanically. Virtually everything has a button to push, and a system to learn that can be interesting.

There are some art styles I just do not care for, and some themes I do not want to deal with, like slavery, racism, abuse of children and the like, but for the most part those do not hit in mainstream games, or if they do, the developers are smart enough to explore it in interesting fashion.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by LeaningKidGoku

I know this is gonna sound wrong, but gender-locked classes in MMOs is something I hate with a passion. Like whats the point?

It's not wrong at all to me.  I was thinking over the question and read your post and this is one I definitely agree with.  I mean, you're right, what IS the point of it?  Laziness is my guess.  What's better than being less creative but still getting paid, I ask you?

In a similar way, I'm not a huge fan of TERA's "one weapon per class" feature.  I played that and then RaiderZ, and though RaiderZ is not nearly as popular by the look of it, it's more fun and is the main reason I quit TERA along with the aforementioned weapon issue.  I don't even like this in WoW or GW2, though they are much more flexible.  But yeah, at least TERA lets you choose male or female no matter what... well sort of, the Poppori are kind of like the male versions of the Elin, but beast-like, and I guess there are no female barakka (sp).  Even then, I think they'd look out of place so it's no biggie.

As for the rest, I don't really like F2P limitations like only being able to have 2 characters per server/account.  That way you have to keep deleting ones you tried to try other classes, which is just a waste of time and does NOT make me want to pay money for character slots.  It just makes me want to go play better F2P games.  I'm glad EQ2 doesn't do this anymore, I will definitely try it again after hearing this.

I like to think I'm pretty flexible about features as long as they don't limit me in a way that makes me have to delete characters or choose a gender or weapon I don't want.

A few things I can do without, but aren't necessarily "hands-off", ie: I can usually find ways to either ignore them or the games they're part of:

- raiding (WoW)

- steep gear treadmill (WoW, Rift, TERA, Aion)

- inactive or just plain apathetic GM's or staff (in regards to gold spammers mostly) (Dragon Nest)

- extreme Asian themes (Age of Wushu)

- No polearms (Guild Wars 2) :(

• EverwestEverwest Member Posts: 75

1. Indie development

Well first of all Im a McDonalds, Walmart, Nickleback type of MMO player.  If its good for the masses its good for me.  I dislike anything Indie with a vehemet passion.  (call it my anti social, anti-hipster stance).  Secondly I follow MMO's very closely and I know what is triple-A and what was crowd sourced so I would never play the kickstarter game in the first place.  Lastly you call it weird but in all actuality I am part of the majority so in essence you are the weird one.

You are delluding yourself if you think WoW was anything other then an RNG based game.  It was at the start and was when I finished one of the greatest outcrys against the game.  In fact one could look back on mmochampions.com (when I played) and evry single day there was a blue post responding to some form of RNG.  For those who don't understand it, RNG is Random Number Generator.  WoW was littered wiht all sorts of RNG mechanics, especially within Defensive and offensive hidden numbers such as +hit and +block.  It was even more prevelant in Arena and PvP with things like Fear breaking on damage, Stormherald stun and offensive procs from overpowered items such as most trinkets.

Pretty sure you're the weird one, lol.  I don't know many people who care where a game comes from as long as its good.  I mean, consider Minecraft.  Minecraft is huge, and it's an indie game.  So clearly, the majority doesn't care about Kickstarter and indie development.  It sounds to me like you're just confusing the culture of indie game development with the culture of indie music, which are two totally different things.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Huh?  WoW is an RNG game... I'm not sure how anyone tricks themselves into thinking otherwise.  At least, it was last time I played it.

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Anything that resemble WoW and its clones cause im just sick of those games, cmon dev get creative and make somthing u want to not a duplacit of a game already out.
  • AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    Originally posted by delete5230

Well, at least you don't have to make any decisions.

People really wonder why they "can't find the game for me", with a reject-reflex list that long?

Really?