Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] Defiance: Review In Progress #1

13»

Comments

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    i m sad to see all those negative comments about TRION. i respect them as a former  RIFT player. i wanted to buy defiance but i ll wait a couple of months to see how it gows.
  • describabledescribable Member UncommonPosts: 407

loving the game on the PS3 - the cut scenes are quite good with decent voice acting.

the horny van boch or whatever his name is, cracks me up.

arkfalls are fun, running out of ammo isn't... so many guns, loving assault rifles and infectors.

but yeah it's better than some full fledged MMO's (looking at you DC). And quite fun, rough around the edges... but

1) i'm having fun

2) people around me actually help out and are having fun

so far better than most MMO's ;) plus i have a gun....

way too many "mods" rewards, although one of the episode rewards was a lovely blue assault rifle with 4 mod parts.... my green rifle upgraded 4 times was more powerful though. c'est la vie.

i got most of the story background from the series wiki though rather than in game.... not really an explanation of such of what happened before... unless i missed it :P

"nothing actually matters, we're just slightly evolved monkeys clinging to a dying piece of rock hurtling through space waiting for our eventual death." - Frankie Boyle, Mock The Week

• Binny45Binny45 Member UncommonPosts: 522

STAY AWAY! DO NOT BUY THIS GAME! The Customer Support is worse than SOE circa Shadows of Luclin.

I've been trying to get my account sorted out for days and the only response I've had from Trion is a warning for cursing out a Troll on the forums.  I think their Customer Support section is non-existant.

Starve em out, see if they sort themselves out, otherwise I hope they crash and burn.  Tired of being taken advantage by these companies.

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    I found out if you pay your bills on time things workout better, give it a go. :-)
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Well when I saw it in the store today for $59.99 I did a double take.  There is no way this game is worth that price.

At that price they are not going to do very well.  There marketing department is dreaming.

• BlindchanceBlindchance Member UncommonPosts: 1,112
    Another mediocre game, bound to be forgotten in the next 3 months.
  • Notice that the Mutants say "hey you guuuuuuys"  

Totally a sloth reference.

• Binny45Binny45 Member UncommonPosts: 522

Got rid of the preorder today.

The game is fun, but not $60.00 worth, especially with subpar customer service.

• trash656trash656 Member UncommonPosts: 361
    Originally posted by bestever
    Originally posted by Vampero

My quick thought’s about Defiance ! Don’t call it a MMO ,save your money ! If you called it a 3rd person multiplayer online shooter, I would have been ok with it.

The show is going to be better than the game..lol

*UI is made for consoles
    *Chat system is lacking
    *Can’t change the UI
    *No Crafting
    *No real guild system
    *Mutants are dumber than a box of rocks.
    *The Mutants remind me of  sloth from the Goonies ! Baby Ruth,Baby Ruth !
    *Skill tree’s are so weak
    *Arkfalls are a carbon copy of Rifts
    *No auction house too !

Its a mmo and what you stated does not make a mmo a mmo anyways. Those are features of mmo's. If you mean its not a mmorpg then yes you're right. Its a mmotps. Its has massive amounts of players in the same world, check. Yep its a mmo

No shit sherlock

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Originally posted by bestever
    Originally posted by Vampero

My quick thought’s about Defiance ! Don’t call it a MMO ,save your money ! If you called it a 3rd person multiplayer online shooter, I would have been ok with it.

The show is going to be better than the game..lol

*UI is made for consoles
    *Chat system is lacking
    *Can’t change the UI
    *No Crafting
    *No real guild system
    *Mutants are dumber than a box of rocks.
    *The Mutants remind me of  sloth from the Goonies ! Baby Ruth,Baby Ruth !
    *Skill tree’s are so weak
    *Arkfalls are a carbon copy of Rifts
    *No auction house too !

Its a mmo and what you stated does not make a mmo a mmo anyways. Those are features of mmo's. If you mean its not a mmorpg then yes you're right. Its a mmotps. Its has massive amounts of players in the same world, check. Yep its a mmo

I would say that 100 players per shard isn't that massive..and even less massive considering it is a 2013 title. Battlefield 1942 already had 64 players back in 2002, plus a huge variety of vehicles and flying allover.

Dalaran on a good day had way beyond 100.

So Defiance is only massive compared to the average 8 vs 8 shooter.

• OlgarkOlgark Member UncommonPosts: 342

I play alot of mmo's but shy away from multiplayer shooters, mainly because I am rubbish at them and the pvp in 99% of the multiplayer shooters tend to get boring for me after a while as I am always dying.

So for me this game was a very nice surpprise, I liked the story arc to it and who it all ties into the tv series, and as the series makes progress we will see episode missions appear in the game and then vanish as the tv program moves on. So your going to have to be active for most of it. This doesn't bother me though as the game play itself is easy to get to grips with and quite fun at times.

The UI from a PC users point of view is clunky to navigate and like the article says took me a while to figure out how to quit the game for the night. Chat is hidden and difficult to see at times so a lot of the social side of the mmo is realtivley invisable.

With all this in mind there are a few kinks and bugs to iron out which is not unusual for a mmo release.

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    A few days in the beta was enough for me. I saw the same thing the reviewer saw. A hybrid game that was missing a mountain of features. Will be fun for a month and then people will get bored of it. 
  • kedarakedara Member UncommonPosts: 72
    I dont know where these high-def pictures are coming from. The graphics aren't that good. The UI isn't nearly as difficult as everyone is making it out to be. It is not a sophisticated game, nor is it intense or immersive. I personally enjoyed it, but that was only because the story is integrated into the regular gameplay. You do not have to join someones team or even talk to them to help with their missions and you can leave at any time.
  • ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by remyburke
    Going to wait for a sale or a trial before I give this one a go. If people are still having fun after 2 months I'll definitely check it out

Yep. This.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• fishboy11fishboy11 Member UncommonPosts: 5
    i dont know how long the reviewer played for but he failed to mention the incredible lack of content, and the content that is there is just the same stuff recycled over and over again
  • erikk3189erikk3189 Member Posts: 306
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

Well when I saw it in the store today for $59.99 I did a double take.  There is no way this game is worth that price.

At that price they are not going to do very well.  There marketing department is dreaming.

Game sucks. Too many things are broken and customer service is just like many things in the game, not working.

If you really want a game that works and has a community and a chat system, then forget this one. The only people who like this game are those who don't care about playing a game that works.

Currently, it's a solo game with nothing but mindless shooting. You shoot, you die, you rezz then you shoot again, die again and rezz again. Other then this, it has nothing of value. Nothing but a mindless game. It's sort of like Planetside, another mindless game to play.

And forget about customer service, it's non-existant.

Real long time players want more then a dumb game where you run around shooting and dying and nothing more. Most times, grouping up doesn't work either and neither does clan chat or grouping with them either.

It's totally worthless.

• DkuangDkuang Member UncommonPosts: 37

Honestly, Trion does work hard in the fact that they crank out stuff quickly, like with Rift, but quick doesn't equate to great. Even though I left that "meh" game of RIft 4 months in from launch with my entire guild quiting before their free month was up. (Don't fret my guilds only like 10 people)

As far as Defiance is concerned, I feel they way rushed the game out. It's seriously nothing new or epic, in terms of anything. Content is lacking, grahics, UI is meh, gameplay (shoot shoot shoot and more shoot and its NOT A FPS), customization is limited to heck, and overall just a very incomplete game. Thank the heavens I played it on my friends account and didn't sink the 60$ to get this.

Knowing Trion though, they'll patch and patch and try their best to pump in some content but from experiencing Rift and trying this out, meh. Go save yourself some time and money and sit this one out or wait for them to offer more than what they currently have in game.

You reap what you sow.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

The reviewer's comment that there needs to be more in an MMO than just combat is very profound. 

This is the main shortcoming of Eve Online and DUST 514 - they both do combat excellently, but something is *lacking* - like a feeling of exploration or wonder.