Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I think I have created a monster (My mother in-law)!!!!!

drtack1drtack1 Member UncommonPosts: 273

My mother in law is an mmo junkie!!!! AHHHHH

I fired up the game a few days ago and was messing around with it and decided to let my mother inlaw create a character for herself. Needless to say my inlaw is a Star Wars fan. She is in her mid 50's and has seen all the mvoies and read all the books like x wing comander or whatever. She has a huge book collection of SW. 

My mother inlaw has never played any mmo ever. The closest thing she plays to any mmo is the old chinese game with the tiles that you have to match or whatever.

So the funny thing is she has a passive personality and is just a sweet kind woman. She created herself a female smuggler. I had shown her the basics like movement and camera and using skills, a basic how to 101. She struggled with movement because of using the keyboard and the mouse together (she is getting  hang of it.) 

Ever since she created her character she plays every night for at least an hour haha!! She will be playing with her headphones on deep in concentration and all of a sudden you hear SHOOT, or AHHH, or HAHAHAHAHA! It is hilarious!!!! I will watch her play and it makes me happy to know she is having so much fun lmao!!!

I will ask her how she is doing in the game and she will get excited and begin to tell me "I have to get my ship back! Someone stole it and is always a step ahead of me and now im wanted by bounty hunters because of the stuff I was transporting was stolen with my ship!" She will go on and tell me more about what she is doing in game, I cant help but to smile because of the pure child like joy she is getting out of playing SWTOR!

When my wife found out I introduced her mother to SWTOR she just said........"omg....great."

I am happy I could introduce my mother in law to her first mmo and see how much she enjoys being in the world of SW which she has always loved ever since she was a teenager! 

Comments

• WinterhoundWinterhound Member Posts: 66

Haha, awesome story.

Meanwhile, I failed bringing my wife to the MMO world.... :(

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Cool story, bro.

No, really, that's a pretty damn cool story.  For someone who obviously has a passion for Star Wars to start playing this and feel like she's in the SW world, it must be great.  I'm smiling just picturing it - granted, I have no idea what the mother-in-law looks like, but I'm picturing it nonetheless. 

Good times!

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

The best part is she doesnt know what MMO's are, she doesnt know what bugs are and she has no frame of reference to judge SWTOR against. 

She gets to experience the game with a clear mind and just enjoy it for what it is.

I have to agree though, you probably created a monster. 

• MondoA2JMondoA2J Member Posts: 258

Kudos +1!

This made me smile.

Great story and good on you for sharing MMOs.

Now just keep her away from forum trolls ;)

MMORPG Gamers/Developers need a reality check!

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Now just pray no one makes a Counter Strike copy in the Star Wars Universe using the newly released source code for Jedi Academy XD.

• winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 737
    Best story, ever! :D
  • RateroRatero Member UncommonPosts: 440

Awsome story :)

However, don't count the older people out... My Mother plays on line at times and she's 85 years old. :D

Ratero.

• Elevenb4Elevenb4 Member UncommonPosts: 362
    Originally posted by MondoA2J

Kudos +1!

This made me smile.

Great story and good on you for sharing MMOs.

Now just keep her away from forum trolls ;)

This x1000. Keep her out of the forums of any game and she will enjoy it. I played SWTOR for a year, currently on break till expac release which is soon thank god, but I always stay out of forums since I started seeing WoW trolls. I hate MMO forums.

-Unconstitutional laws aren't laws.-

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

Great story:) but bear in mind that many women in 50s play MMOs... :)

SWTOR is absolutely awesome :)

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530
    That's an awesome story!
    I just found out that a Vietnam Vet I work with plays Mech Warriors religiously... Made me double take and hoot with laughter and excitement. He wants me to play with him so he can kill me. I now almost fear log'n in!
  • drtack1drtack1 Member UncommonPosts: 273

lol. Yea I am keeping her out of the forums. I told her if she has any questions about anything just ask me. 

It is so cool seeing her so happy playing and having fun.

I completely agree with one of the earlier posters about having a clean slate and not being able to judge it against previous mmos and bugs and what not. She has a clean slate and SWTOR is perfect match for her! 

Today she told me she is going to buy some new headphones because she really likes my turtle beaches, and she is also thining about buying a new mouse haha. My father inlaw says "she is going to need a new keyboard soon because he can her her smashing keys frantically when she is in battle" lmao!

Thanks for all the fun and kind replies guys!

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

Good job, man.

This reminds me, I have an uncle who is retired and a huge consumer of fantasy books etc. I wonder if should get him hooked on something...

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Your father in law may not like you too much down the road though... just a little warning. I introduced my wife to WoW years ago and now I get to cook and clean and do laundry half of the time because of it... lol. Sometimes a simple act can have some pretty dire unpredicted consequences. Just fair warning. image

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by drtack1

My mother inlaw has never played any mmo ever. The closest thing she plays to any mmo is the old chinese game with the tiles that you have to match or whatever.

Mahjong?

In any case, that's great, love to see people who never were interested in video games enjoy themselves. ESPECIALLY away from all the needless drama that tends to swirl around some of them.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • madnosmadnos Member Posts: 84

This made me smile :D .

It also made me a little jealous . 

I remember having those same feelings  when I first started. Unfortunately that has long passed.

It also reminds of a episode from the TV series  " The Big Bang Theory ".

The guys got the neighbor   Penny into online gaming . I believe it was  "AoC'".

She would call them at work ,  and wake them up in the middle of the night looking for help .

One of the guys went to her apt. to talk to about her gaming problem . She was sitting there with empty RedBull cans all around and Cheetos stuck in her hair .  The guy said to her , Hey Penny , dont you have to work today ? She said ,I don't work on Mondays . The guy said , Ya . But today is Thursday .....

Anyways , great story ,I'm happy to hear she enjoys it .

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

What a great story :D

It is good to see a "good story" and brings back fond memories from my own first foray into MMOs.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984

Family of gamers.  My nephew's to blame.

I admit the title made me think, "So where's this going?"  And not in a good way, lol.   Nice story.  

• BakoryoBakoryo Member UncommonPosts: 469
    Originally posted by Brenelael

Your father in law may not like you too much down the road though... just a little warning. I introduced my wife to WoW years ago and now I get to cook and clean and do laundry half of the time because of it... lol. Sometimes a simple act can have some pretty dire unpredicted consequences. Just fair warning. image

Bren

So you mean you have to do chores that should be equally split at home? The odacity! ;D 

But on topic. That's great introducing someone to something new for them. The first experience of mmorpg's usually are so very good and she'll remember it for a very, very long time.

The speed of the mole and the power of steel is my weapon

• pokrakpokrak Member UncommonPosts: 111
    Originally posted by madnos

This made me smile :D .

It also made me a little jealous . 

I remember having those same feelings  when I first started. Unfortunately that has long passed.

It also reminds of a episode from the TV series  " The Big Bang Theory ".

The guys got the neighbor   Penny into online gaming . I believe it was  "AoC'".

She would call them at work ,  and wake them up in the middle of the night looking for help .

One of the guys went to her apt. to talk to about her gaming problem . She was sitting there with empty RedBull cans all around and Cheetos stuck in her hair .  The guy said to her , Hey Penny , dont you have to work today ? She said ,I don't work on Mondays . The guy said , Ya . But today is Thursday .....

Anyways , great story ,I'm happy to hear she enjoys it .

Both stories are very funny;) 

You made my day hehe