Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Divergence is THE Star Wars Galaxies Refugees MMO

ShakklesShakkles Member UncommonPosts: 58

I keep seeing people posting on forums like this one and sites like swg emu who still haven't heard about this game yet and it's unforgivable. It's already underway and the videos are just spectacular, so I really want to see it complete! I think what's holding it back is that it has a lot of hype on it's listing here but not enough to get onto the front page.

Just go to video 2, watch the awesomness that starts about halfway through, then notice right at the end it's even called "The Star Wars Galaxies Refugees MMO".

Site: www.divergence-online.com

Forums:www.divergence-online.com/forums

Comments

• NakoomerNakoomer Member Posts: 8
    I've watched this video and have been waiting for another game in which I can destroy prestine landscapes via my strip-mining enterprise.   This game needs more funding, I can't wait to dig up resources in an open mmo again.
  • KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086
    Divergence sounds very SWG-ish, but I lost interest when I read about the forced PvP with corpse looting and "limited" perma-death. Why these smaller developers rely on this PvP model to make the core content of an MMO is beyond me. It ceretainly didn't work well with games like Xsyon or Mortal Online. Many more potential players ($$$) would be attracted with a consentual PvP model (such as a flagging system). I still wish them and interested playersluck, but I will not be contributing.

• Trident9259Trident9259 Member UncommonPosts: 860

these games are pure vaporware.

we've heard it all throughout the years - but these games will other end up in the drawing board featuring a nice fancy video or become a total flop upon release. 

• sarabearrahsarabearrah Member UncommonPosts: 22

Im a carebear....looting, perma death along with open pvp isn't my style.

Too bad, because the videos really got me hooked.

Ill stick to veers elite and the other one I'm playing.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by sarabearrah

I was thinking the same thing. The only perma death in SWG was in the early days of the jedi grind and there was no looting corpses. Personally I'm looking forwad to the Repopulation. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by ktanner3

I was thinking the same thing. The only perma death in SWG was in the early days of the jedi grind and there was no looting corpses. Personally I'm looking forwad to the Repopulation. 

I don't feel you should call yourself a carebear, because to me a carebear is one who needs the game to tell him/her what to do. The hardcore player playes the way he/she wants to play (obviously within the games rules) but it all has to be optional, else again developers tell the player how to play instead of the player making up their own minds.

Apart from that I do agree.

If..

Open PVP & Lootable Bodies

Open-PVP everywhere. No exceptions. If you don't like the way that alien is checking out your girl, put a bullet in his face. Just be prepapred to lose faction with the establishments bouncers who with enough ruckus may elect to toss your ass out.
    Lootable Corpses. You won't have an inventory full of thousands of ridiculous objects. All objects have a mass equivalent and slow you down based on your physical ability to carry loads. Don't carry your valuables on you!
    Limited Permanent-Death. The most controversial of the controversial. Cloning in Divergence is common but not guaranteed. You'll need clone insurance, a few clones in storage, to be within the sphere of a cloning beacon and a race which can actually clone in order to avoid starting over on your character after death. Death means something, and thus life means something. Dancers, don't despair. Most NPC and player towns have their own cloning spheres.

Would be optional it truly would be SANDBOX

the rest of the game sounds amazing....shame really about the above part.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Looks like vaporware.

You make me like charity

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

Another indie sandbox makes the same mistake, open PvP and full loot. This is another title destined to face low population and money troubles as a result.

When will they learn?

Originally posted by Reklaw

I don't feel you should call yourself a carebear, because to me a carebear is one who needs the game to tell him/her what to do. The hardcore player playes the way he/she wants to play (obviously within the games rules) but it all has to be optional, else again developers tell the player how to play instead of the player making up their own minds.

Apart from that I do agree.

If..

Open PVP & Lootable Bodies

Open-PVP everywhere. No exceptions. If you don't like the way that alien is checking out your girl, put a bullet in his face. Just be prepapred to lose faction with the establishments bouncers who with enough ruckus may elect to toss your ass out.
    Lootable Corpses. You won't have an inventory full of thousands of ridiculous objects. All objects have a mass equivalent and slow you down based on your physical ability to carry loads. Don't carry your valuables on you!
    Limited Permanent-Death. The most controversial of the controversial. Cloning in Divergence is common but not guaranteed. You'll need clone insurance, a few clones in storage, to be within the sphere of a cloning beacon and a race which can actually clone in order to avoid starting over on your character after death. Death means something, and thus life means something. Dancers, don't despair. Most NPC and player towns have their own cloning spheres.

Would be optional it truly would be SANDBOX

the rest of the game sounds amazing....shame really about the above part.

I ddn't mean to say that I was a carebear, it's just that the free for all loot PVP aspect is going to be the biggest turnoff for old  SWG fans. 

I AM a carebear.

When I played EVE that was the term for players  that didnt pvp.

I dont care about the name, its just a game.

If I'm going to pay to play a game it  will be one I WANT to play.  Spending the monthly fee isn't a big deal to me, the content and things that I LIKE in the game are, PVP  let alone FORCED PVP isnt one.  I can go play dozens of them now FOR FREE........

Good luck OP, let us know if you change your game plan some day, if so Ill be there for you.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    This would deserve the attention Camelot Unchained is getting a lot more

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Pretty crappy webpage, not a good first impression.  It plays background music, which is fine and all, until you go to watch a video and can't hear it because of the webpage song, lol.

:P

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153
    Originally posted by Karteli

Pretty crappy webpage, not a good first impression.  It plays background music, which is fine and all, until you go to watch a video and can't hear it because of the webpage song, lol.

Yup, I believe the kids call this "total fail".

Naming all the races "homo" something is stupid.  Drop the "homo" part if it's all the same.

Originally posted by Karteli

seems like one guy did everything so far, that is quite an accomplishment. Webpage is average but who cares.

I like the project and backed it, also it has a prototype unlike other KS projects which are vaporware written down in some hyped up paragraphs of text.

The Return of ELITE !

• jandrsnjandrsn Member Posts: 187
    You have to carry valuables with you sometimes, and free for all pvp has too many gankers to make me want to go window shopping or go out harvesting rescources. If a game has a pvp flagging system, then I'd be willing to try corpse loots.
  • LivnthedreamLivnthedream Member Posts: 555
    It is vaporware. Just selling those "trade secrets" he keeps attributing all of these amazing tech breakthroughs to would net him many millions of dollars. One man does not do that. Take a look at Euclidean for example.
    Originally posted by Livnthedream
    It is vaporware. Just selling those "trade secrets" he keeps attributing all of these amazing tech breakthroughs to would net him many millions of dollars. One man does not do that. Take a look at Euclidean for example.

You know what´s "vaporware" ? That Camelot project.

Divergence has ACTUAL GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE, I guess you comprehend the difference.

The Return of ELITE !

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

I AM a carebear.

If I'm going to pay to play a game it  will be one I WANT to play.  Spending the monthly fee isn't a big deal to me, the content and things that I LIKE in the game are, PVP  let alone FORCED PVP isnt one.  I can go play dozens of them now FOR FREE........

Good luck OP, let us know if you change your game plan some day, if so Ill be there for you.

You didn't PVP in EVE? You enjoyed the game...... for how long?

Cause if you don't PVP in EVE and still have for a longer period of time fun I would say you're pretty hardcore to survive in such a harsh universe. So doesn't that make you wonder who's really the carebear? the one caring for you to play a certain way, or playing the game the way you want it?

Sorry OP slighty image

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I started looking at this game also and stopped at open PvP loot .
  • Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    Interesting. But I am not sure what will keep this game from becoming nothing more than a spawn camping gank fest where nothing matters other than killing and looting the other guy and allow it to live up to a sand boxes real potential. Open PVP with full loot has been the death sentence for one too many games. I am still waiting on a sand box outside of EVE (which was made to reward the worst in you) that can survive contact with its player base.
  • MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    EDIT:  Just watched the videos on the site.  Sounds intriguing.  I didn't even know it existed until today.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

Originally posted by cura
    Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

Another indie sandbox makes the same mistake, open PvP and full loot. This is another title destined to face low population and money troubles as a result.

When will they learn?

Thanks god not everyone tries to catter to mass market.

True but there's a reason why free for all PVP isn't done much anymore and most fans of the old SWG aren't looking for that.

Originally posted by Reklaw

I AM a carebear.

You didn't PVP in EVE? You enjoyed the game...... for how long?

Cause if you don't PVP in EVE and still have for a longer period of time fun I would say you're pretty hardcore to survive in such a harsh universe. So doesn't that make you wonder who's really the carebear? the one caring for you to play a certain way, or playing the game the way you want it?

Sorry OP slighty image

Nope never PVP'd in EVE......all I did was mine, I played for  about 3 years till my friend joined Goonsquad.

Had my own corp and never was war dec'd either.....

Had allot of low friends in even lower places.

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323
    Originally posted by cura
    Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

When will they learn?

Thanks god not everyone tries to catter to mass market.

True but there's a reason why free for all PVP isn't done much anymore and most fans of the old SWG aren't looking for that.

I dont know what most of the fans are looking for but I know thats not for me. I give this guy credit for his dedication to the project and his ability to make some really kick ass videos that had me sucked in. He almost got me to loosen that death grip on my wallet..right up until the FFA full loot PvP. Maybe the next game.

You can turn off the music and listen to the video..I dont know if anyone brought that up yet.

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012

I also agree.  I played SWG from Day 2 (Day 1 the servers barely ran lol) and i seen what Perma death did to my friends who played.  It sounds good however in the MMO world it does not work unless you want only a few thousand players at best.  Your Average MMO player will not play these type of games.