Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TotalBiscuit does his early impressions on Defiance (40 minutes)

TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321

For those who may want to know more about Defiance, before going in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuGU4_k3q1Y

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Comments

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    Is the meta still spamming MIRV launchers? I honestly felt like this game couldn't be helped.
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Nice I have to say he actually went back and reviewed more, specially after his first video seemed quite negative against the game. Playing the game more he sounded to enjoy it a lot more then he had before to admitting to have fun with it. Was glad he at least went about making a more in depth review after his short rant against the game which ended up yeilding him liking the game (least as much as a cynical person can :)

Its a good video for showing the good and the bad of the game, at least as much as one could show given the limited time the game has been available to play and experience, given the beast that is an MMO.

Like all things though, you never really know until you try it yourself.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

There doesn't seem to be a demo / trial version for Defiance..

oops.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509
    Wish TotalBiscuit just stuck to WoW.

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    Originally posted by Karteli

oops.

Show me an example of any MMO, excluding F2P, that has had a demo or trial on offer in it's first week after launch. Or in it's first month.

Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

oops.

Show me an example of any MMO, excluding F2P, that has had a demo or trial on offer in it's first week after launch. Or in it's first month.

WoW?  10 day guest pass X 2 inside every box.  I gave mine away, others were given away online.  What better way to sell a game than to have players try it.

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    Not buddy keys, a demo or free trial. There is a difference.
  • niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

There is also a difference between having the option of trying out the game through a buddy key, and having no option whatsover to play the game outside of spending 50$.

• PanthienPanthien Member UncommonPosts: 559
    Originally posted by niceguy3978

There is also a difference between having the option of trying out the game through a buddy key, and having no option whatsover to play the game outside of spending 50$.

Which is common nowadays. Most games/mmos dont seem to come with buddy keys these days.

Especially with the digital verions.

Some difference, but the idea is the same.  If anything it's more of a hassle to go on a forum and ask for a key, or go to a game shop and ask around for one, etc.  But perfectly doable, and there is plenty of posts back in 2004 of people doing exactly that.

From the video the game looks like it might be fun.  The vehicle speed was fast, stuff could be run over, action looked fine.  I'm not sure I like the play controls and mechanics though .. rolling / dodging repeatedly looked sort of dumb.  Inventory was flakey.  Some other stuff I would need to try first hand.  So I have my reservations.

Oh well.

• bugmenobugmeno Member Posts: 85

Defiance = Planetside 2 with Lorebackground and a better Combat mechanics, but nothing more. 60$ for it? dont think so, 20 bucks maybe, not 60$. Do you really believe the TV Series will help this one of of its misery?

What if the Show fails within a month or so, to behonest : the premise about the show aint nothing groudbreaking new, Alien Invasion, lets join forces together and fight back (in between some blablabla Talk Captain A and Sergant B, you get soem Sex Scene, Family Scences, some Teen ones, some weirdo Shit just to show how cool they are for showing it to you.... blablablabal :)= , by the way : Pilot already viral ?

Get Borderlands 2, play it online, have fun. (BL1 was the better game though...); have no opinion on Total Biscuit what-so-ever.... just to be on the same topic, kinda.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006

WoW starter packs for $1 closest thing to a free trial which wasn't free really now for free of course.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    I respect TB but he seems to have been over critical these past couple months. The Sniper Nazi Army impressions made the game look like a bug ridden bore fest. ITS 15$ and amazing fun with friends. The only "reviewer" I listen to anymore is Angryjoe since we have A LOT in common. If I see a game and it looks fun and i get ATLEAST 10 hours of fun out if it then 60$ was well spent. Im 40+ hours in defiance and still having a blast.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Originally posted by bugmeno

Defiance = Planetside 2 with Lorebackground and a better Combat mechanics, but nothing more. 60$ for it? dont think so, 20 bucks maybe, not 60$. Do you really believe the TV Series will help this one of of its misery?

What if the Show fails within a month or so, to behonest : the premise about the show aint nothing groudbreaking new, Alien Invasion, lets join forces together and fight back (in between some blablabla Talk Captain A and Sergant B, you get soem Sex Scene, Family Scences, some Teen ones, some weirdo Shit just to show how cool they are for showing it to you.... blablablabal :)= , by the way : Pilot already viral ?

Get Borderlands 2, play it online, have fun. (BL1 was the better game though...); have no opinion on Total Biscuit what-so-ever.... just to be on the same topic, kinda.

Its not about an alien invasion. That already happened and ended with the battle of Defiance. Its about surviving in a world where numerous aliens species are trying to coexist.  And yes the first 14 minutes of the pilot are online. 

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• BrownAleBrownAle Member Posts: 399

actually thought it was a decent first look, it was a bit harsh at first i guess, and i assume most stopped there either being satisfied that the game was going to be trashed or pissed at the harshness.

i think this guy kinda nailed it for me.  issues aside the combat is a blast and its fun to travel around the world.  combined it makes for some good entertainment.

i dont know if it will suck at endgame, i dont know how long the fun will last.  right now im having a good time driving around and blong stuff up though...so ill keep at that i guess.

it really ends up being a pretty positive but cautious review, and ive seen other videos by this guy and he seems a pretty harsh critic on most single player shooters of any type, certainly more exact in what hes looking for than i am given im a mmorpg player primarily.

really a good first look, i recommend watching the whole thing though, the end really highlights what exactly is fun in the game quite well i think.

• daniel!!!daniel!!! Member Posts: 400

It isnt the greatest game in the world but its incredibly fun and you don't have to play it seriously.

Best thing to do is get on with a few things and drive do the random events, side missions and story missions together 

• KLECKOKLECKO Member UncommonPosts: 48
    Nothing in that video  looked like fun
  • BrownAleBrownAle Member Posts: 399
    Originally posted by KLECKO
    Nothing in that video  looked like fun

Then this wouldnt be a game you will like lol

• knapuknapu Member Posts: 131

oops.

WoW?  10 day guest pass X 2 inside every box.  I gave mine away, others were given away online.  What better way to sell a game than to have players try it.

Seriously ? ure posting this after a question which mmo had a trial in its forst week or month .. and u post a guest pass from a game thats been 8 years in the market ... 

I am the punishment of God...
    If you had not committed great sins,
    God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you
    — Genghis Khan

• WarjinWarjin Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

For me this game gets bettter the more you understand it and progress, so many little things that make the game fun.

As for TB, he is full of shit, just about all of those main stream opportunistic youtube game reviewers and pretty much all the game reviewer sites sell out at some point and do crap reviews of games, the reason is because reviews turn into a job for them, to really get a good solid review you need to hear it from a gamer, a person that spends hundreds of hours in a game, not a few hours then moves along to the next game, those dudes play so many games there isn't enough time in the day to give a single game or all a solid review, the moment those dudes go main stream they lose all credibility.

TB is junk now, this dude is nothing more then a opportunistic money hungery game reviewer, you want good reviewer watch some real youtubers that don't get paid for it, they will in most cases tell you the truth because those dudes play for many, many weeks, not a few hours maybe days if they get a check sliped to them by game devopers.

P.S. also this I can tell you first hand  this games IA gets hard as fuck the higher up you get, some of those bosses, single man dungs. and missions I die a lot.

• CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

Looked ok to me. I enjoy his videos. You just have to learn to take what he says with a grain of salt.

If you take ANY Youtuber to seriously then your just gonna get riled up for no good reason.

Originally posted by Warjin
    For me this game gets bettter the more you understand it and progress, so many little things that make the game fun.

As for TB, he is full of shit, just about all of those main stream opportunistic youtube game reviewers and pretty much all the game reviewer sites sell out at some point and do crap reviews of games, the reason is because reviews turn into a job for them, to really get a good solid review you need to hear it from a gamer, a person that spends hundreds of hours in a game, not a few hours then moves along to the next game, those dudes play so many games there isn't enough time in the day to give a single game or all a solid review, the moment those dudes go main stream they lose all credibility.

TB is junk now, this dude is nothing more then a opportunistic money hungery game reviewer, you want good reviewer watch some real youtubers that don't get paid for it, they will in most cases tell you the truth because those dudes play for many, many weeks, not a few hours maybe days if they get a check sliped to them by game devopers.

Calm down buddy, all is not so bad! :P He's but one man, one voice on Youtube that you can freely ignore. Getting mad at what he says is like, well, its just stupid really lol. Also, Warjin, you need to make the distinction between initial impression and review. He does not do reviews, he does first impressions.

Im not sure what yall are expecting from a Youtube personality called the Cynical Britt. Expecting him to not harp on games is like expecting the Angry Video Game Nerd to not be, well, angry.

• WarjinWarjin Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    Originally posted by Cacaphony

Calm down buddy, all is not so bad! :P He's but one man, one voice on Youtube that you can freely ignore. Getting mad at what he says is like, well, its just stupid really lol.

I'm not mad lol, I just wanted to tell the truth about those dudes, it's a bussiness to them, they sold there gaming souls for money, if you know what I mean, all I am saying is take those mainstream reviewers with a grain of salt, they are not the same person they where when they made reviews before the money came in, they had the time and in most cases played only a few game, enough to know there stuff, that's not the case when it becomes a job, you have to review hundreds of games.

There is no way in hell you could give people a solid review when there is only 24 hour in one day with 15 games a week to review.

Originally posted by Cacaphony  

Originally posted by Warjin For me this game gets bettter the more you understand it and progress, so many little things that make the game fun.   As for TB, he is full of shit, just about all of those main stream opportunistic youtube game reviewers and pretty much all the game reviewer sites sell out at some point and do crap reviews of games, the reason is because reviews turn into a job for them, to really get a good solid review you need to hear it from a gamer, a person that spends hundreds of hours in a game, not a few hours then moves along to the next game, those dudes play so many games there isn't enough time in the day to give a single game or all a solid review, the moment those dudes go main stream they lose all credibility. TB is junk now, this dude is nothing more then a opportunistic money hungery game reviewer, you want good reviewer watch some real youtubers that don't get paid for it, they will in most cases tell you the truth because those dudes play for many, many weeks, not a few hours maybe days if they get a check sliped to them by game devopers.  
        Calm down buddy, all is not so bad! :P He's but one man, one voice on Youtube that you can freely ignore. Getting mad at what he says is like, well, its just stupid really lol.
    I'm not mad lol, I just wanted to tell the truth about those dudes, it's a bussiness to them, they sold there gaming souls for money, if you know what I mean, all I am saying is take those mainstream reviewers with a grain of salt, they are not the same person they where when they made reviews before the money came in, they had the time and in most cases played only a few game, enough to know there stuff, that's not the case when it becomes a job, you have to review hundreds of games.

There is no way in hell you could give people a solid review when there is only 24 hour in one day with 15 games a week to review.

He did not do a review. He did a first impressions video.
    /shrug
    Theres a pretty big distinction between the two, no?

But as far as reviews go, if he were to actually provide a review, don't you think gamers would be more concerned about the acutal game website reviews like IGN and whatnot? In the grand scheme of things, his channel is drop in the ocean as far as relevance goes.

• seafirexseafirex Member UncommonPosts: 419

It took over 1 to 2 years before Blizzard got us a trial version of the game. You can still download it as of today. 

But they are right You dont get a trial of a mmo the first few months or first year of its release.