Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Of Bolsters & Brackets

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

A new developer blog has appeared on the Star Wars: The Old Republic site to talk about a pair of changes coming to the game when v2.0: Scum & Villainy arrive. The first features changes to the current bolster system, making it less level oriented. The second changes the bracket spans.

In Game Update 2.0, we are introducing a new Bolster system that will behave differently than what we currently have. You will still get a Bolster buff while in PvP areas and Warzones, but it will no longer be based purely off of character level. Currently, Bolster is setup to bring characters up to a set level of stats that are appropriate for entry-level PvP. The amount of stats given to a character is based on their level, more stats for lower level, to bring them up to this “entry-level” PvP base. At level 50 we stop bolstering characters, which you can see adds to the huge drop off of effectiveness once a character goes from 49 to 50. With Bolster, the most important change is that the stats are no longer granted on an assumption of stat power based on character level. Rather we look at each one of the Item Ratings (including the Mods, Augments, Armorings, etc. that go into the armor/weapon) of the current equipped gear and base the amount of stats given based on these values. The worse your items are the more stats you are given to get you to the base value we want every PvPer to be at.

Read more on the Star Wars: The Old Republic site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    I bet this will make a lot of hardcore PvPers mad.
  • bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689
    This new bolster on the pts was broken and made certain specs have almost a million hp and hit for almost as much on auto attacks.

Will be fun to see if it goes live the same

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

If it works the only people upset will be the twinks who wear purples while leveling to wtfpwn others in pre-50.

No real loss really and this coming from someone who did it.

You stay sassy!

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    One of the things that swtor gets right.  At least they try to balance pre-50 pvp, unlike other mmos (most notably wow).  Twinks can no long have the advantage.
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Ah so they are doing the Rift deal with bolstering? Hmm does make me wonder how valid pvp gear will be with the bolstering in terms of when they do the 'cut off' of just how much gear the bolstering boosts you to be at par with. 
  • red_cruiserred_cruiser Member UncommonPosts: 486
    Originally posted by birdycephon
    I bet this will make a lot of hardcore PvPers mad.

Hopefully.

Of course, I don't know how "hardcore" of a PvP'er you really can be considered if you are playing SWTOR.
  • jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    what does bolster have to do with queue time? the only reason queue time is long is that there aren't enough players in queue to do pvp. increasing the wz limit for f2p will decrease the queue time. and on top of that eaware needs to add another grade of gear between prototype and artifact or they need to put more prototype gears between tiers(T1/T2) and make them available through classic comm. even if a f2p is stubborn enough to surpass the quick bar restriction s/he can never work out gear imbalance at end game thus stop trying end game fp. it ensures higher queue time for HM FP. you guys need to work out on your restrictions for f2p if you really want queue time to drop. gear restrction works for eq2 and some other games because they have tons of gear grades not just 3(uncommon,prototype,artifact). 

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• ChthonChthon Member Posts: 7
    Interesting change but that's actually how it seems to work right now from a player perspective.  I can attest to the fact that queueing up for a warzone at lvl 10 or 11 with only one or two pieces of Artifact-quality gear will make you diesel, even with lvl 1 skills and only a handful of them.
  • DaranarDaranar Member UncommonPosts: 392
    This will help all the new players swarming to this game....Oh wait....it's a dieing game...maybe think about end-game for ur dwindling users and do something worth me coming back for

If I want a world in which people can purchase success and power with cash, I'll play Real Life. Keep Virtual Worlds Virtual!

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    The bolster system is ridiculous to begin with. I never liked it back then and still don't like it now. I have always stayed away from any MMO that relies on lazy & cheap Dev work like this that relies on boosting anyone for PvP as opposed to relying on the gear and skill of the player.
  • AdamaiAdamai Member UncommonPosts: 476
    if the game wasnt kids trash i would probably care.
  • velmaxvelmax Member UncommonPosts: 224
    Originally posted by jesteralways
    what does bolster have to do with queue time? the only reason queue time is long is that there aren't enough players in queue to do pvp. increasing the wz limit for f2p will decrease the queue time. and on top of that eaware needs to add another grade of gear between prototype and artifact or they need to put more prototype gears between tiers(T1/T2) and make them available through classic comm. even if a f2p is stubborn enough to surpass the quick bar restriction s/he can never work out gear imbalance at end game thus stop trying end game fp. it ensures higher queue time for HM FP. you guys need to work out on your restrictions for f2p if you really want queue time to drop. gear restrction works for eq2 and some other games because they have tons of gear grades not just 3(uncommon,prototype,artifact). 

My queue times as a 50 is about 30 seconds to a mintue, play the game before you start assuming stuff. And im a F2P character.

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Originally posted by jesteralways

The PvP warzones on swtor are not long, you never wait more than 2 or 3 min, not even with a premade, in primetime is even faster. FP HM have long queues because is pretty much more easy and faster to get a lv 27 crafter gear than do FP to earn BH gear, that will change with the 2.0 update. And Swtor is not really f2p.

• bakabrödbakabröd Member Posts: 129
    they should fix their fucking bugs and servers first...
  • aligada87aligada87 Member UncommonPosts: 234
    Originally posted by observer
    One of the things that swtor gets right.  At least they try to balance pre-50 pvp, unlike other mmos (most notably wow).  Twinks can no long have the advantage.

lol stop lieing to yourself. this game is dieing 

Originally posted by aligada87

also like to add that, one of the things that swtor gets wrong is cash shop system. who puts hotbars into cash shop, and worst who puts the ability to hide helmets in cash shop.