Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lets get one thing straight.

DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789

This isnt the next "wow killer" this game is niche and trion knows it. I dont even qualify Defiance as an MMO. Its and open world shooter that you can enjoy with your friends. People coming into defiance expecting a mmo with shooter mechanics are gonna be disappointed. Its for people who miss Tabula Rasa and who are looking forward to the show (as I am). 

If you are looking for a OPEN world TPS that you can play by yourself or with others then Defiance is for you. If you want a deep mmo with crafting, raids, housing, and more then keep moving on. Defiance content releases will coincide with the show. As things happen in the show things will happen in the game and vice versa.

I like to tell people Defiance is an Open world Borderlands 2 with a more serious tone. If you loved BL2 loot farming then take a look at Defiance.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

Comments

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Originally posted by DSWBeef
    If you loved BL2 loot farming then take a look at Defiance.

Not even remotely.

Borderlands' loot is almost on the level of a hack'n'slay, while loot in Defiance is rather poor in general even compared to mmorpg-standards.

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

Borderlands guns are much better then defiance, a low level VS a high level gun in defiance barely makes a Stat difference.

I would agree with saying defiance cant be treated as MMO though, expect a box price single player game with options to group with others, it'll give you about 30-40 hours worth of content and be over. ( All missions, side quests, and challenges Gold ) not counting achievements and instances.

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893

This isnt the next "wow killer" this game is niche and trion knows it. I dont even qualify Defiance as an MMO. Its and open world shooter that you can enjoy with your friends. People coming into defiance expecting a mmo with shooter mechanics are gonna be disappointed. Its for people who miss Tabula Rasa and who are looking forward to the show (as I am). 

If you are looking for a OPEN world TPS that you can play by yourself or with others then Defiance is for you. If you want a deep mmo with crafting, raids, housing, and more then keep moving on. Defiance content releases will coincide with the show. As things happen in the show things will happen in the game and vice versa.

I like to tell people Defiance is an Open world Borderlands 2 with a more serious tone. If you loved BL2 loot farming then take a look at Defiance.

I agree that Defiance was never meant to be a WoW-killer. WoW isn't eben on the radar for this game and Trion does indeed know that. 

This game, however, is not for Tabula rasa fans. In Tabula rasa you could lose territory across the map. Waypoints, vendors, bases and missions were locked out until AFS (you) retook the objectives. Defiance has none of this. Tabula rasa was a visually beautiful game who's story trancended that of being a grunt in the army. Defiance has a story but it is firmy rooted in the post-apocalyptic "the world is barren and grey" vibe, similar to Fallen Earth. 

As far as weapon farming is concerned, Borderlands 1 and 2 both have an amazing and VARIED pile of weapons that you could get with tons of different weapon parts (5 or 6 each ing BL1 and 13-15 each in BL2) that make them visually and usefully unique. Once you've seen one VBI AR in defiance you have pretty much seen them all. Modding helps but I modded guns in BL (no hex) and I would barely call what Defiance has crafting. It's socketing, that's all.

Defiance is a fun game and I can't wait to see what trion has in store but don't pull out BL and TR to push the game. While similarities are shared, fans from both of those games can see right through it.

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• fallenlordsfallenlords Member UncommonPosts: 683
    Who was expecting a deep MMO experience from this game?   I am a bit bemused about the expectations placed on this game and to even mention WoW or WoW killer is like totally bizarre. But it is an MMO, it's a good game and a lot of fun.  But I would suggest anybody looking for a 'deep MMO' experience doesn't look at anything that involves shooting and guns.  Because that is always going to be shallow, no shooter has any depth.  All shooters are repetitive, even the best shooters.
  • ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372
    So it plays a lot like Tabula Rasa did?  I sure with they'd bring TR back, ah well.

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356
    And where you saw somebody calling it "WoW Killer"?
  • asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by mindw0rk
    And where you saw somebody calling it "WoW Killer"?

This is the first I've heard of it.  Actually, people stopped using that term a long time ago for the most part...

You make me like charity

• alkrmralkrmr Member UncommonPosts: 236
    wow-killer? you people still playing that game? 
  • DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    If Trion says it is a MMO then yes it is a MMO. Now you can attach shooter to it or TPS..whatever you desire.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• PanthienPanthien Member UncommonPosts: 559

Atleast now we know who took the coolaid.

But is a mmo, maybe not a mmorpg. but thats besides the point.

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

I'm not playnig Defiance barely paying attention to it..

But I don't think I've heard anyone limp out there with any "WoW Killer" claims yet.. I doubt we will..

But w/e OP..

/shrug

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177

Where did the OP see Trion referencing Defiance as the next WoW killer? Who in their right mind would think that players who deeply play a fantasy RPG would somehow be drawn away by a buy to play third person sci-fi shooter rather than just play both? 

When you start your thread out by rebutting a claim that was never made, it hurts the rest of your argument. It doesn't help that the rest of your thread is downplaying what Defiance isn't, and never claimed it would be.

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Originally posted by Omali

Where did the OP see Trion referencing Defiance as the next WoW killer? Who in their right mind would think that players who deeply play a fantasy RPG would somehow be drawn away by a buy to play third person sci-fi shooter rather than just play both? 

When you start your thread out by rebutting a claim that was never made, it hurts the rest of your argument. It doesn't help that the rest of your thread is downplaying what Defiance isn't, and never claimed it would be.

I never said that trion said it. People ALWAYS say the next mmo is a wow killer. I simply implied that someone somewhere said it and for people looking for a "wow killer" to move on.  And IMO i feel all those claims that I made are true IMO. Defiance feels like TB and bl2 to me. Just because it doesnt to you doesnt make me wrong.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Volgore
    If you loved BL2 loot farming then take a look at Defiance.

Not even remotely.

Borderlands' loot is almost on the level of a hack'n'slay, while loot in Defiance is rather poor in general even compared to mmorpg-standards.

agreed i play BL games mostly just because of how loot works... defiance felt nothing like that..

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    Originally posted by Agoden

Borderlands guns are much better then defiance, a low level VS a high level gun in defiance barely makes a Stat difference.

I would agree with saying defiance cant be treated as MMO though, expect a box price single player game with options to group with others, it'll give you about 30-40 hours worth of content and be over. ( All missions, side quests, and challenges Gold ) not counting achievements and instances.

I've played about 15 hours and feel I've barely sratched the surface.  I haven't even gotten to 200 ego or whatever it is.  I feel this is a game that is best played in spurts, an hour here or an hour there, instead of what a lot of people seem to do with MMOs and play them 10-12 hours a day.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• WarjinWarjin Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    Originally posted by alkrmr
    wow-killer? you people still playing that game? 

I agree, no game will ever, ever, ever take WoW's number 1 spot, WoW is no longer a game it's more like a religion, a way of like for online gamers, a paid version of steam chat or xfire, WoW is in a nut shell Facebook in a 3D fantasy setting, there are people that don't even like WoW anymore but still pay because it's just that, a 3D facebook, a way to keep ties with people.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    IDk if i would say a Tabala Rasa look a like,the game i thought of watching the video was Fallen Earth.I don't remember much in way of any vehicles in TR but in FE you could ridearound on a motorbike or build a car or an identcal sort of vehicle like in that video a 4 wheeler.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• jedensuscgjedensuscg Member Posts: 209
    Originally posted by Ginaz

I've played about 15 hours and feel I've barely sratched the surface.  I haven't even gotten to 200 ego or whatever it is.  I feel this is a game that is best played in spurts, an hour here or an hour there, instead of what a lot of people seem to do with MMOs and play them 10-12 hours a day.

This

A lot of complaints about  Defiance are coming form people saying its too short, but because they powered through a 12 horu gaming session focused on the main story and ignored everything else. 

As the show progresses (start April 15th I thinK) the game will update with new content.  That is the point of the game.  Likewise, I have probably about 10-12 hours in the game, but Spent time doing side missions, exploring, cooperative maps, and even tried PvP(which really does suck)

I have only seen 1/4 of the entire map, maybe less.  Only have an ego of 157. 

I play for about an hour or two and then log off.  It keeps me interested.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Why do I see posts about the amount of content, when its been pretty much pushed that game and show are suppose to be running simaltaniously? People for some reason thing the game is 'short' yet its SUPPOSE to release content as the show goes on, meaning its purposely holding back content for the show and releasing it in unison with it. It doesn't have as much available right away because its meant to come out with the show giving more as the story goes on and having both works 'evolve' together in sorts.
  • taziartaziar Member Posts: 52
    Anyone who expects large content additions tied to the show will be likely sorely dissapointed.  I expect it will be mostly things on the level of easter eggs.  Minor references to characters and events.  Other than that, they will be separate stories that exist in the same IP.  
  • WarjinWarjin Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    Originally posted by Purutzil
    Why do I see posts about the amount of content, when its been pretty much pushed that game and show are suppose to be running simaltaniously? People for some reason thing the game is 'short' yet its SUPPOSE to release content as the show goes on, meaning its purposely holding back content for the show and releasing it in unison with it. It doesn't have as much available right away because its meant to come out with the show giving more as the story goes on and having both works 'evolve' together in sorts.

Bottom line, people are idiots.

• Yavin_PrimeYavin_Prime Member Posts: 233

This isnt the next "wow killer" 

ROFL, people are still talking about games that are trying to "kill wow" last time I checked wow was killing itself.

• FluxiiFluxii Member Posts: 184
    Originally posted by Omali

I never said that trion said it. People ALWAYS say the next mmo is a wow killer. I simply implied that someone somewhere said it and for people looking for a "wow killer" to move on.  And IMO i feel all those claims that I made are true IMO. Defiance feels like TB and bl2 to me. Just because it doesnt to you doesnt make me wrong.

Dude, you got caught Trolling; suck it up.  Everyone already knows what this game is and isn't and NO-ONE ever even hinted at it being a "w0w-killer".

You were spewing your "biased opinion" that you got caught at.  Have you even played the game passed the BETA?  Or did you just "watch a buddy play"?

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Opapanax

I'm not playnig Defiance barely paying attention to it..

But I don't think I've heard anyone limp out there with any "WoW Killer" claims yet.. I doubt we will..

But w/e OP..

/shrug

Not sure why so many are hung up on this, it was said rhetorically the OP didn't claim to have seen it said nor did they imply it would be said.

Seems like no one knows what an expression is around here.image

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• FluxiiFluxii Member Posts: 184
    Originally posted by jedensuscg
    Originally posted by Ginaz

This

A lot of complaints about  Defiance are coming form people saying its too short, but because they powered through a 12 horu gaming session focused on the main story and ignored everything else. 

As the show progresses (start April 15th I thinK) the game will update with new content.  That is the point of the game.  Likewise, I have probably about 10-12 hours in the game, but Spent time doing side missions, exploring, cooperative maps, and even tried PvP(which really does suck)

I have only seen 1/4 of the entire map, maybe less.  Only have an ego of 157. 

I play for about an hour or two and then log off.  It keeps me interested.

Anyone who says this game is "12 hours long" (and heard it from their buddy most likely) is a F'n moron.  Even rushing the content, it's be hard to get enough of a boost I'd imagine for the end areas as it does get slowly harder. 

I've been doing every mish, arkfalls and the general PQ's, and I doubt I'm 1/2 though the map and over 30 hours in.  I'm still in the upper section of the map, around 400'ish ego, I honestly don't remember.

I kinda agree too that the game is better played in spurts than marathons.  Then again, I never could play shooters for extended periods as I could play pure MMO's.  Gets too tedious.