Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Heart Warming News for the Anticipating.

2»

Comments

• NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861
    Originally posted by sanshi44
    Originally posted by Neanderthal

Ok, EQ was never a sandbox game.  In general, "sandbox" means that the players can change the game world in some way.  In EQ you could not do that.  The game world was a static, unchanging stage. 

It was definately a themepark game but it was different from later themepark games in that it didn't "hold your hand" and tell you what to do and where to go.  It felt more open and free simply because you were left to figure things out for yourself, find things for yourself, and make your own decisions about what to do.

I really wish I could believe that EQ next will turn out to be an improvement on that original EQ design with some actual sandbox features added to it.  But I have no faith in SOE at all.  I fully expect that it will be just another generic, craptastic themepark of the modern type but probably with some customizable looks for equipment or something you can buy from the cashshop which will turn out to be what they meant by "sandbox style" features.

Bit in orange, if i recall correctly players change the world in someway by creating a market place in the East command land tunnels where people went to trade/barter there good to each other.

People did that but gathering together in a certain spot doesn't change the game world.  It doesn't add anything to it or take anything away.  It just means people gathered together in a certain spot and people can do that in any MMO.

But I don't really want to get in a pissing contest over the definition of "themepark" and "sandbox".  "Sandbox" used to mean something in relation to MMO games but maybe it has lost it's meaning over the years after being so completely buried under all the themepark games.

So whatever, EQ was what it was.  I loved it.  Then I hated it.  Now I wish I could have a version of EQ with the parts I loved and not the parts I hated and hopefully some improvements and new things to love.  But I'll believe it when I see it.

• hMJemhMJem Member Posts: 465

John Smedley Apr 5th

"In an everquest reveal meeting"

Maybe the game will come out this year if they're doing a private reveal before they publicly reveal it at SOE Live in August.

• quseioquseio Member UncommonPosts: 234
    Originally posted by Slampig
    Originally posted by voigt
    I am not exactly sure what Themepark means if EQ1 was a themepark, I do not recall ever doing any questlines or going to quest hubs.  I went out into the world traveled from Faydwer to Odus killing monsters for loot and exp.  It wasn't until several expansions later that they really started adding quests, and even then I rarely did one other than my Epic weapon.

Obviously missed the mail quest from the high elf city to the tree elves... But yeah, no quests there...

and there was the quest that turned  gnoll teeth in blackburrow into   exp faction and moon orb which you could turn in for more exp and ale.  glos into a research book, soulfire the origional paladin epic, and that blue steel sword  well that wasnt  finished till  years and years later when it got fixed everquest had tons of quests in the origional no expansion game

The temple of ro was filthy  with quests, and one 9of my faVORITE quests of all time the chesguard protector series lol

• TheKrautTheKraut Member Posts: 48

My only conern is the mention of this possibility being ported to 'mobile gaming' devices. While I don't give a shit how you play, I don't want options or depth dumbed down/taken away to accomodate them.

I did get a good feeling when he talked about how most games fail because they don't have a family feel; I know exactly what hes talking about and the last time I felt it was Eq1. From the last 2 minutes it sounds like there COULD be a million ways to play this game a la SWG.

Come on SOE; DONT FUCK THIS ONE UP.

• bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689
    Originally posted by voigt
    I am not exactly sure what Themepark means if EQ1 was a themepark, I do not recall ever doing any questlines or going to quest hubs.  I went out into the world traveled from Faydwer to Odus killing monsters for loot and exp.  It wasn't until several expansions later that they really started adding quests, and even then I rarely did one other than my Epic weapon.

^ This.  Eq1 was not a themepark mmo.  You did not go from A to B doing fedex quests and collecting 10 bear asses.  You wandered around the world and killed monsters that wouldn't own your face off with a group of people.

LDoN did help drive the stake into the heart of the game though

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.