Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is EA the worst company in America?

Comments

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509

I have been keeping a steady eye on the poll. Intreasting enough from our comunity only 20% more voted yes EA is the worst company in America. To be honest its been a 60/40 vote and that is telling me that with that kind of margin and yes this is not a official poll or anything like that. But more or less with it being a honest gaming poll gamers on this site at least 40 % of them are still willig to support EA one way or anouther.

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

I think of the fact that I and all of my gaming buddies would be playing Dark Age of Camelot again - had EA allowed for the dev team at Mythic to produce Origins server.  Some whispered that the fear was that even more players would be pulled from the drowning Warhammer title.

Regardless, you have years of loyal followers and dedicated gamers that had a love affair with Dark Age above all other mmorpgs.  And after all these years, we cannot have Origins?  Frustrating...especially now when even the most uninformed executive at EA should consider Origins due to the sudden stir over CU and ESO.  Perhaps aliens run some of these companies - it's the only explanation.

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by Ramonski7

Just a little more info on the subject. Here is a full list of the contenders:

• Time Warner Cable (79%) vs. Cablevision (21%)
    • Walmart (58%) vs. Best Buy (42%)
    • DirecTV (56%) vs. Dish (44%)
    • Sallie Mae (53%) vs. PayPal (47%)
    • Facebook (89%) vs. Google (11%)
    • Chase (51%) vs. Wells Fargo (49%)
    • Spirit (59%) vs. American Airlines (41%)
    • Sears (77%) vs. JCPenney (23%)
    • Apple (65%) vs. Microsoft (35%)
    • Bank of America (68%) vs. Capital One (32%)
    • EA (92%) vs. Anheuser-Busch InBev (8%)
    • Comcast (89%) vs. T-Mobile (11%)
    • Ticketmaster (64%) vs. Equifax (36%)
    • United (25%) vs. Carnival (75%)
    • AT&T (68%) vs. Verizon (32%)
    • UPS (45%) vs. FedEx (55%)
    Funny how the paired up all of them again similar companies and they put EA up again BEER.....lol
    Full article is here.

Yeah, I had to laugh at that as well.

Beer > all things.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Isturi

I have been keeping a steady eye on the poll. Intreasting enough from our comunity only 20% more voted yes EA is the worst company in America. To be honest its been a 60/40 vote and that is telling me that with that kind of margin and yes this is not a official poll or anything like that. But more or less with it being a honest gaming poll gamers on this site at least 40 % of them are still willig to support EA one way or anouther.

Official, unofficial, any poll who puts EA as the worst company in America is wrong, and its voters myopic.  And I don't support EA simply because I believe that fact.  You have companies that ruin lives vs. a company who ruined the ending of a game series.

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    Originally posted by Eir_S

Official, unofficial, any poll who puts EA as the worst company in America is wrong, and its voters myopic.  And I don't support EA simply because I believe that fact.  You have companies that ruin lives vs. a company who ruined the ending of a game series.

NO. It isn't wrong at all. This is a GAME site where we write about all the frivilous electronic wastes of our time that we find fun in order to escape the deathly serious stuff that causes one and all to hang their heads during the day. This is a thread about what amounts to a pop culture poll on whom we feel does us wrong in such ventures. It is not a site nor thread for the serious written debate of topics relating to actual social ills costing people life and limb. Leave that for the courts to ponder. As such, EA sucks more than most anyone else and clearly so. They are even outpreformed by beer companies with untreated sewer water in their cans. This is saying something...

If you can't loosen up and enjoy the poll for what it is.... >.<

I already said it's one of the worst game companies, if not the worst.  But the "poll" doesn't say that.  *shrug*

EA is not the worst company in America, is all I'm saying.  OP's title is misleading and I'm not the only person who noticed.

I already said it's one of the worst game companies, if not the worst.  But the "poll" doesn't say that.  *shrug*

EA is not the worst company in America, is all I'm saying.  OP's title is misleading and I'm not the only person who noticed.

Its not my title. To be honest it is Forbes title. If you chk out the link I provided you would of seen this and so would they.

Originally posted by Crazy_Stick

NO. It isn't wrong at all. This is a GAME site where we write about all the frivilous electronic wastes of our time that we find fun in order to escape the deathly serious stuff that causes one and all to hang their heads during the day. This is a thread about what amounts to a pop culture poll on whom we feel does us wrong in such ventures. It is not a site nor thread for the serious written debate of topics relating to actual social ills costing people life and limb. Leave that for the courts to ponder. As such, EA sucks more than most anyone else and clearly so. They are even outpreformed by beer companies with untreated sewer water in their cans. This is saying something...

If you can't loosen up and enjoy the poll for what it is.... >.<

TYVM I could not of said it any better myself. image

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

I just read interesing article by Peter Moore.

http://www.ea.com/news/we-can-do-better

Quote:

Are we really the “Worst Company in America?”  I’ll be the first to admit that we’ve made plenty of mistakes. These include server shut downs too early, games that didn’t meet expectations, missteps on new pricing models and most recently, severely fumbling the launch of SimCity.  We owe gamers better performance than this.

Some of these complaints are 100 percent legitimate – like all large companies we are not perfect. But others just don’t hold water:

• Many continue to claim the Always-On function in SimCity is a DRM scheme.  It’s not.  People still want to argue about it.  We can’t be any clearer – it’s not. Period.
    • Some claim there’s no room for Origin as a competitor to Steam.  45 million registered users are proving that wrong.
    • Some people think that free-to-play games and micro-transactions are a pox on gaming.  Tens of millions more are playing and loving those games.
    • We’ve seen mailing lists that direct people to vote for EA because they disagree with the choice of the cover athlete on Madden NFL. Yes, really…
    • In the past year, we have received thousands of emails and postcards protesting against EA for allowing players to create LGBT characters in our games.  This week, we’re seeing posts on conservative web sites urging people to protest our LGBT policy by voting EA the Worst Company in America.

That last one is particularly telling.  If that’s what makes us the worst company, bring it on.  Because we're not caving on that.

We are committed to fixing our mistakes.  Over the last three weeks, 900,000 SimCity players took us up on a free game offer for their troubles.  We owed them that.  We’re constantly listening to feedback from our players, through our Customer Experience group, Twitter, this blog, or other sites.  The feedback is vital, and impacts the decisions we make.

And I tend to agree. EA is not the worst company in US... 

Edit: Sorry Crazy... did not recognize you already mentionned it /grin

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    There are companies blowing the freaking tops off of mountains.  Does a game company using shitty DRM really come close?

Its not my title. To be honest it is Forbes title. If you chk out the link I provided you would of seen this and so would they.

Er... no it isn't.  Their title is

EA Responds To Worst Company In America Contest: 'We Can Do Better'

Yours is a completely different declarative statement.  Besides, Forbes would be wrong if they said it anyway.  If you actually READ the article, the author says he doesn't even think EA should still be in the running, instead placing behind Carnival.

And to the poster above me, in short: nope.

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344

Well, it validates that it's trendy to hate EA, just like it's trendy to hate WoW. You can add these two to the list with "I hate suits" and "corporations are evil".

All this tells me is that a large number of people here are slaves to vocal opinion, or more accurately...sheep.

Originally posted by topographic

Well, it validates that it's trendy to hate EA, just like it's trendy to hate WoW. You can add these two to the list with "I hate suits" and "corporations are evil".

All this tells me is that a large number of people here are slaves to vocal opinion, or more accurately...sheep.

ITT: Internet educations.

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    that will be ncsoft west, killer of mmo. i understand that EA is greedy but as i have been playing their games for a very long time i can say that there is one thing they do that no other publisher does, they copyright a game not only in their name but also in the name of developer groups. this way if EA no longer wants to publish a certain game the developer can take it to other publishers and EA make deals with them and let the developers continue to do what they want to do with their life's work. i don't see any other publisher doing that these days. developers are even forced to steal their own works from publishers in some cases. i am sure you guys can appreciate it. 

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by niceguy3978
    There are companies blowing the freaking tops off of mountains.  Does a game company using shitty DRM really come close?

The way I view most of those is that the Government and others are stepping in. Some get hit with fines, jail time, sanctions, regulations, etc. They end up having to make public appologies and compensate those they have effected. They are in many cases required to fund clean up and restoration efforts. 

On the other hand, no one is regulating companies like EA. Its just a gaming company, they are just games seems to be the mentality of many. EA and others like them get free reign to do as they please and its left up to gamers to file lawsuits and such if they feel up to it. 

They don't make public appologies, they try and pass off their failings as the fault of the consumer. They don't like to reimburse players even when they have stripped them of the right to play games they have purchased without cause. There is no one stepping in and saying "Hey, thats a bit to far. Keep it up and there will be repricussions". 

Companies blowing the tops off of mountains are being bombarded by legal battles and law makers and congressmen are being preasured to take action against them. 

Carnival is about to get hit bad because they pissed off a couple of Senators which are in talks about the 4.2mil its cost the coast guard and the navy to step in on 90 serious events. 

All these companies have people watching them and holding them accountable. 

Companies like EA don't. 

It is amazing in how someone can word things. I do appoligize to anyone and or to EA who may feel that I was attacking EA in a nagative way. Looking back I did not mean to indirctly imply that EA is the worst company in America. I simply just wanted to get a honest opinion from posters of this comunity in if they agree or disagree if EA should win the contest of being "The Worst company in America" award.

So I changed the title of this thread to "Is EA the worst company in America?" This of course is my attention from the start to pose this question from post one. After all my poll did convay that.

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    This thread speaks volumes.  Look at what the western corporate elite have been doing to the third world for the past 70 years.  How the hell can anyone even try to pretend that a greedy game company that produces subpar entertainment is the worst in that context?  The naivety is mind blowing.
  • hammarushammarus Member UncommonPosts: 196
    Originally posted by TheHavok

EA is the worst company in the world when fun internet time is involved.  But in reality...come on, they aren't that bad.

I think EA's CEO put it best:

“This is the same poll that last year judged us as worse than companies responsible for the biggest oil spill in history, the mortgage crisis, and bank bailouts that cost millions of taxpayer dollars,” Moore notes. “The complaints against us last year were our support of SOPA (not true), and that they didn’t like the ending to Mass Effect 3.”

If the CEO truly said what you quoted, then they deserve to get worst company again.  Being worst company isn't just about causing or thru lack of care creating an ecological disaster.  Being worst company can be about customer responsiveness, product integrity, producing what your mission statement says you do, etc.  In fact I tend to believe its more related to these than some tree hugger concern, which frankly, are never going away as issues with the likes of Exxon or BP.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

The worst gaming company - yes... I hate them and I'm not buying a single thing anymore from EA unless something changes for the better.

Probably not THE worst company in america I guess. 

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

Originally posted by redcapp
    This thread speaks volumes.  Look at what the western corporate elite have been doing to the third world for the past 70 years.  How the hell can anyone even try to pretend that a greedy game company that produces subpar entertainment is the worst in that context?  The naivety is mind blowing.

It is not about naivety, its about as you mentioned, context.  What are the criteria by which the companies are judged?

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    Originally posted by hammarus

It is not about naivety, its about as you mentioned, context.

Question asked if EA is the worst company in America.  Not worst game company.  Not worst entertainment company.  Worst company period.  The notion would be laughable, if we weren't simply ignoring those companies that ARE getting away with HORRENDOUS abuses of their power every day.  Sorry, but annoying DRM on Sim City isn't comparable to deregulated corps destroying the environment and polluting neighborhoods, causing disease and birth defects, war mongering, political corruption, economic sabotage, irresponsible financial gambling, etc. 

Originally posted by hammarus

It is not about naivety, its about as you mentioned, context.

Question asked if EA is the worst company in America.  Not worst game company.  Not worst entertainment company.  Worst company period.  The notion would be laughable, if we weren't simply ignoring those companies that ARE getting away with HORRENDOUS abuses of their power every day.  Sorry, but annoying DRM on Sim City isn't comparable to deregulated corps destroying the environment and polluting neighborhoods, causing disease and birth defects, war mongering, political corruption, economic sabotage, irresponsible financial gambling, etc. 

Which is why I edited my response to your post.  Its about criteria.  And as I mentioned in an earlier post, my thoughts on the criteria use lead me to believe they are based on business decisions not on ecological or global fiscal issues.  But again, its all about what the criteria are.

Oh, and by the way.  Is the question originally the OP's?  Or is the OP pulling the question from another source and reposting here without all the details.
  • DalekThayDalekThay Member Posts: 52

Not even close. If you honestly think EA is worse than say, any of the Big Huge Multinational banks (granted, owing to our completely idiotic banking system) or even General Motors, then you've got some seriously f*cked up priorities in your life.

Now, as far as entertainment companies go, they're pretty high up on that particular list for sure.

Er... no it isn't.  Their title is

EA Responds To Worst Company In America Contest: 'We Can Do Better'

Yours is a completely different declarative statement.  Besides, Forbes would be wrong if they said it anyway.  If you actually READ the article, the author says he doesn't even think EA should still be in the running, instead placing behind Carnival.

And to the poster above me, in short: nope.

TY It was not my attention to have a declarative statement from the start. That is why after you brought this to my attention I did see my error in my title in how it could be so. With this in mind I was only to happy to change the title of this thread to pose a Qustion instead of a statement. Again I apoligize if I inderctly offended you or anyone else in our community.