Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

paper,rock,scissors,crafter?

zekuelzekuel Member UncommonPosts: 39
MJ has said he is going with a paper rock scissors class system and not a mirror system. My question is how do we not make the crafter class a mirrored class for relams. I would like to hear everyones ideas and opinions on this.

Comments

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by zekuel
    MJ has said he is going with a paper rock scissors class system and not a mirror system. My question is how do we not make the crafter class a mirrored class for relams. I would like to hear everyones ideas and opinions on this.

Did he say that about crafters?

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• naezgulnaezgul Member Posts: 374
    Originally posted by zekuel

Yes, it's true....their WILL be three crafter types.... One to make each. Rock/paper/scissors, and they will not infringe on each others work domain

• SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861
    I have wondered the same here on the forums.

One way to approach this is to make certain crafting paths more or less powerful based on realm.

Maybe the TDD make excellent bows and leather, and excel at spellcrafting.

The Vikings might make better melee weapons and great seige equipment.

Arthurians could have better Armorsmiths and fort/keep-building assets.

These are just examples.

Actually, the crafter class variations could provide the dynamic that DAoC tried to by making Vikings the melee realm, the TTD the magic realm, and Arthurians the balanced/defense realm. Instead of doing it through just abilities, it could be done through crafting.

Point of interest: when I say spellcrafting, I don't mean only like DAoC did it. I mean that it would be cool if there was a crafting specialization that was able to affect staves and thus augment/diversify spellcasting.
  • redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    Different realms would hypothetically use different types of gear, siege weaponry, structures, etc.
  • poisonmanpoisonman Member Posts: 59

You know what I was just thinking about with crafters, I know they aren't combat oriented at all and I'm not asking for that, but it would be cool if they could make traps and stuff, would be defensive stuff that would allow them to get away. could be pretty unique.

They could go crazy and allow crafters to be like engineers from warhammer with turrets and things but I'm pretty sure they don't want to go that route, but traps and defensive things could be cool.

• NanulakNanulak Member UncommonPosts: 372

They may have different technologies.  Say the 3 realms are A, B, and C.  Realm A has awesome long range trebuchets but poor (short range) arrow carts and catapults.  Where the other realms would have different combinations and use different equipment.  Also one realm may have crossbows and the others only had bows.  And there are many more types of siege equipment that can make all sides quite unique.  These kind of variations could make the realm crafters totally unique.

Nanulak

• pokrakpokrak Member UncommonPosts: 111
    Originally posted by DMKano

I'd love to be water to cut the rock, rust the scissors, soak the paper and drown the crafter.

:)

hehehe good one

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Originally posted by poisonman

You know what I was just thinking about with crafters, I know they aren't combat oriented at all and I'm not asking for that, but it would be cool if they could make traps and stuff, would be defensive stuff that would allow them to get away. could be pretty unique.

They could go crazy and allow crafters to be like engineers from warhammer with turrets and things but I'm pretty sure they don't want to go that route, but traps and defensive things could be cool.

I think this is actually the answer. If crafters are expected to be out there RvRing, then they need to be a complete class with the ability to contribute in RvR beyond building stuff. So the crafters will have combat and/or support abilities in addition to their crafting skills. Then CSE can just vary what their combat skills are for each realm like they do for the other class types.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• poisonmanpoisonman Member Posts: 59

They don't necessarily need to be "combat" at all, just some traps or defensive stuff that allows them to contribute and possibly get away, I'm sure they will still need protecting from their realm, but if they get lost or fall behind they will have at least some chance of getting away, or holding out for a short time for their group to reach them if they aren't too far away.

Be a cool way for them to contribute to RvR in another way other than just building, crafting, and repairing stuff.  

Being non combat these things they could do would do little or no damage at all, could just be traps that provide types of CC possible, like snares, roots, whatever so the crafter can get away.

Could be other defensive things or group based things that possibly buff, cleanse, and heal friendly players.

Or if you wanted to swing the other direction they could also debuff, damage, poison, CC, etc enemy players, like turrets, traps whatever.

Some of these things could be invisible to enemy players, and you could make it a meta game against crafters or possibly stealthers and archers from enemy realms that could disarm these traps and things if they have a high enough skill to detect them since they would normally be invisible to enemy players.

Lots of ideas swirling in my head about this at the moment.

• SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861
    All in all, I prefer Rock-Paper-Scissors-Lizard-Spock.
  • LokbergLokberg Member Posts: 315

Or crafters Could be the stealth class would get in hand as a defence messure but leave your pack animal and hard work gathering materials to be taken by the enemies.

• grimjakkgrimjakk Member Posts: 192
    I don't mind being the one that hides under the wagon with a big crossbow and my little tin miners hat... that's a good angle for a crossbow, actually. 
  • tauraktaurak Member Posts: 174

I don't think it would be a good idea to make different crafted siege weapons for different reallms.

Someone will end up at a huge disadvantage if that happens, example a very powerful long range catapult for one realm only. They could knock holes in walls from long distances, while other realms had to get much closer and take fire from archers and casters off the tops of walls.

Mark did say crafters would be able to make traps and things like that too. The ability for each crafter to make their armors look different than everyone else's also makes me pretty happy to say the least.

This game is really sounding cool, and every day it seems to get better.

The only bad news in my oppinion at all, is that character models won't really look as nice as most games, and probably not the environment either.

Either way though I really hope the game funds, it may give birth to even more detailed games like it.