Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Poll: How do you like your armor?

TimothyTierlessTimothyTierless ColumnistM, ORPosts: 2,163Member Uncommon

Comments

• Plastic-MetalPlastic-Metal Highland Heights, KYPosts: 405Member
    Good poll.  It's also important to note the direction of the lore itself.  People have their panties in a wad because anytime a developer uses certain art techniques and styles, it's immediately labeled World of Warcraft clones.  That being said, I feel CU would work well with a "Functional, but with some flare and magic touches".

I guess at this point in the game, I shouldn't expect much  :P  If the lore is more magically infused than historical, expect it to have an artistic flare to it - if it's more historical than magical, expect functionality over flare.

My name is Plastic-Metal and my name is an oxymoron.

• eye_meye_m Notta Chance, ABPosts: 3,132Member Uncommon

where is the option for "virtually nonexistant on females, ridiculously overdone on males" ?

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

• ArcherBullseyeArcherBullseye Ellwood City, PAPosts: 77Member
    Originally posted by eyelolled

where is the option for "virtually nonexistant on females, ridiculously overdone on males" ? 

WoW

• ComafComaf Chicago, ILPosts: 1,154Member Common
    I like the traditional look but I get your point:)

• NiurNiur ManchesterPosts: 45Member Uncommon
    Went for the battered and functional look. I like armor that looks like it does the job its supposed to and has the marks to prove it.
  • OgrelinOgrelin JonkopingPosts: 636Member

Changing to beat up when used in battle.

• Father_JackFather_Jack Portland, ORPosts: 81Member

As designer aethetics are important to me, and I prefer skins that are bit less fantastical. But that is just a matter of taste and tasts vary, I'm more intereasted in gameplay and wether it is fun.

I don't mind things being stylised, I thought the CD in Brave and HTTYD were stylised but still grounded for example. (not suggesting that level of abstration for CU just pinting how it can be balanced well.)

• OgrelinOgrelin JonkopingPosts: 636Member

Would be awesome if the player could choose what kind of look he wanted on his armour. (IE, buy armour looking the way he wants to from a crafter)

• Father_JackFather_Jack Portland, ORPosts: 81Member
    Originally posted by Ogrelin

Would be awesome if the player could choose what kind of look he wanted on his armour. (IE, buy armour looking the way he wants to from a crafter)

I maybe misremembering this but I thought I read somwhere that they want crafters to be able to customise the look fo the armor they make.

• RobokappRobokapp Dublin, OHPosts: 5,205Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by eyelolled

that's my option as well...

that's what they look like in my fantasy. :D

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen USA, GAPosts: 2,451Member Uncommon
    I l really don't care as long as my female characters aren't in bikini armor, it's rediculous and stupid.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKPosts: 8,494Member Uncommon

Little to none, I prefer minimalistic armor with lots of muscle showing. Kind of like monks in EQ.

What I really dislike is super ornate armor, with glowing effects and big shoulders that are bigger than characters head!

The more over the top armor is the more I dislike it.

• RobokappRobokapp Dublin, OHPosts: 5,205Member Uncommon
    this is where tanks vs healers vs mdps vs rds will differ in opinions greatly...every tank wants heavy armor. :)

• StilerStiler Athens, TNPosts: 599Member

With the game resting on player crafting, why not allow enough customization that you can have a wide variety? From more orealistic looking functional armour, that looks worn/used, to having flashy/stylistic armour?

Allow the crafters or players to develop their own "look/style" that they want to use, instead of making it one way and having everyone be that way.

That is part of the fun of good customization, you can allow people to look how they want.

• DaizeddDaizedd Salon de ProvencePosts: 142Member

The arty and fantastical look has been done and redone so so many times, I am personally just fed up of it. I went for gritty and functional. 

I think it would be alot more impressive, original, appealing, and different then the overworked stuff which we have nowadays. Even though I think the art work CU has shown is nice, and it won't be a gamebreaker for me, its fantastical quality, though of course original, is par for the course when it comes to MMOs over several years now.

The problem with realistic is that at a distance armor may look similar, but the devil is in the details, and you could have alotta fun with those details :) Its gotta be easier on the rendering engine too.

• KarraptathidKarraptathid Tequesta, FLPosts: 78Member
    Less WAR like and more DAoC like.  If this was a kickstarter for War Unchained, I wouldn't say anything about the current art work. This however, isn't about WAR.  One of many things I love about DAoC, the armor looks appropriate and not cartoon silly as some of the WAR armor trends. It's all about balance really, DAoC got it right.  Since CU is supposedly just after a catalysm, the armor initially shouldn't look too high quality for many years to come.  Planned increases over the years should allow crafters to create better looking armor over their previous generation of finished work.  In other words, start out functional with minor flair and build on it as the Devs have time.

Midranki - To us, Thidranki Faste is not just some center keep, it's our field Guild Hall.
    Camelot Unchained's Kickstarter - Warrior Forever

• DaizeddDaizedd Salon de ProvencePosts: 142Member
    Originally posted by Stiler

With the game resting on player crafting, why not allow enough customization that you can have a wide variety? From more orealistic looking functional armour, that looks worn/used, to having flashy/stylistic armour?

Allow the crafters or players to develop their own "look/style" that they want to use, instead of making it one way and having everyone be that way.

That is part of the fun of good customization, you can allow people to look how they want.

That is NOT a bad idea! Crafters can choose a style and then work within it. The only problem with that though is there has to be a reasonably common style within each realm.

• HersaintHersaint Oak, WIPosts: 366Member

Went with historical option. I want to be able to tell that someone is wearing chainmail or platemail, piece by piece, leather or simply cloth. Big honking swords and hammers twice the size of the characters has already been done. Im hoping for something like historical fiction.

BTW How do I get one of those Kickstarter banners in my sig like the others. I'm a "Young warrior"!

• naezgulnaezgul Homer Glen, ILPosts: 374Member

First and foremost design something that doesn't overload your computing power.

I was actually wanting to cast a vote for combination of 3rd & 4th choices

• TimothyTierlessTimothyTierless Columnist M, ORPosts: 2,163Member Uncommon

I was pretty hung up between option 3 and 4 but in the end I think have to go with battered, beat up, functional and war torn. I just love me some grunge.

I definitely don't like the over the top fantasy stuff in a game based on battle and war. To me war times strap resources and ravage everything and I want that to shoe in my armor.

• SorninSornin Richmond, BCPosts: 1,133Member

I voted this: Functional but with some flare and magic touches

I like armour that is not crazily overdone; I dislike it being too big and bulky, like your character could not even move in it.

Then again, I play fantasy games to escape, and do not mind a bit of flare and stuff that clearly is not realistic. If it all looked realistic, our characters would be wearing scratched, dinged up, torn, patchy, crappy armour. I want to look a little badass.

So far what has been shown is awesome, in my books. It is not silly looking, or too big and bulky, and has a lot of nice flare and style.

Bring on the Arthurians!

• Delavega86Delavega86 adhkulPosts: 112Member

nothing gigantic (ie: shoulderpads and weapons)

nothing flashy/glowy/glittery/lightningy/fiery or too spikey.

gritty would be nice.

but best of all would be a simple way to remodel and dye your items. like in any self-respecting mmo.

i like it simple and minimal.

• Squeak69Squeak69 Colorado Springs, COPosts: 956Member

i like a mix of functional and cool factor.

to be honest im easy to please on armor.

what i dont like to see is armor that requires superglue to hold it on I.E. most female armor in most fantasy games.

i can understand wanting a char to look sexy, in armor but when you get to a point where its not even armor but rather a bikini that needs glue to keep it on in places, no just simply no.

this is the first and biggest turn of for a game for me, when i log in and people are looking at the pretty bright colors im look at the athistics, the fill of it rather then the how many individual hairs the system can manage, (WHO CARES).

to me a game looks good not by how strong the engine is but how much detail and attention the artisits put into the game itself.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• TimothyTierlessTimothyTierless Columnist M, ORPosts: 2,163Member Uncommon

Originally posted by Plastic-Metal
    Good poll.  It's also important to note the direction of the lore itself.  People have their panties in a wad because anytime a developer uses certain art techniques and styles, it's immediately labeled World of Warcraft clones.  That being said, I feel CU would work well with a "Functional, but with some flare and magic touches".   I guess at this point in the game, I shouldn't expect much  :P  If the lore is more magically infused than historical, expect it to have an artistic flare to it - if it's more historical than magical, expect functionality over flare.

qft

• redcappredcapp brook, NYPosts: 722Member

I voted functional with flare.

I do think fashion has its place in RPGs.  This isn't real life.  Nothing wrong with some awesome looking gear.

That said, WoW for instance, was just too much.  Giant, flaming shoulder pads aren't necessary on every set of armor you can get your hands on, lol.

DAoC had/has some great style.  Some of GW2s armor sets are awesome, some are a bit much.  GW1, while I didn't play it extensively, I do recall being quite beautifully done.  AoC had a style that I think a lot of folks on this forum would like.

Then again, even in UO where there was minimal flare, you could still create a unique look and be proud of your avatar.   I also liked how in UO heavier armor.. weighed more, lol, and had an impact on dexterity etc. 

Oh, and for the record, I really can't stand the whole 'naked female in full plate' thing.