Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To Fund or not to Fund is the Question

BinafusBinafus Member UncommonPosts: 230

DAOC - I played that game more than any other game in my life, because of that it is worth tossing money at this game.

CU is trying to make a game to me that would be better than DAOC and have said all the right things that I wanted to hear, again enough of a reason for me to put money into this game.

No PVE, NO Instances this turns off probably 90 percent of all gamers, they are not trying to make a game for everyone they are trying to make a RVR game only, this will never happen from a huge game company, this in it's self is a good enough reason for me to fund this game.

When showing off their graphics enngine they have 1,000 models running around, he says there is no FPS drop from this but you do have to give up things to make this happend like the surroundings might be a bit sparse compaired to other games, Game play over Pretty is a good reason to support this game to me.

If you do not feel these things are important that you want pretty of gameplay, instances, pve you should not even consider funding this game.  (You are in the majority of all game players)

If this is the type of game you are wanting I would suggest giving as much as you can and telling all your  friends about it, it is the only way a game like this will get funding.  (you are in the minority of all game players)

Comments

• fanglofanglo Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Originally posted by Binafus

DAOC - I played that game more than any other game in my life, because of that it is worth tossing money at this game.

CU is trying to make a game to me that would be better than DAOC and have said all the right things that I wanted to hear, again enough of a reason for me to put money into this game.

No PVE, NO Instances this turns off probably 90 percent of all gamers, they are not trying to make a game for everyone they are trying to make a RVR game only, this will never happen from a huge game company, this in it's self is a good enough reason for me to fund this game.

When showing off their graphics enngine they have 1,000 models running around, he says there is no FPS drop from this but you do have to give up things to make this happend like the surroundings might be a bit sparse compaired to other games, Game play over Pretty is a good reason to support this game to me.

If you do not feel these things are important that you want pretty of gameplay, instances, pve you should not even consider funding this game.  (You are in the majority of all game players)

If this is the type of game you are wanting I would suggest giving as much as you can and telling all your  friends about it, it is the only way a game like this will get funding.  (you are in the minority of all game players)

I was gonna say at least go for the $25 tier. That isn't a whole lot but gets you a ton of stuff. Most games these days are double that price.

I healed Mistwraith and all I got was this stupid tee-shirt!

• belatucadrosbelatucadros Member UncommonPosts: 264
    Honestly with the right classes I'd happily play on the shitty zone they showed in the smackhammer demo.
  • MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268

I smacked 250 USD into the project without a second though.

Looking forward to renew sub for 1 USD / year.

• gylnnegylnne Member UncommonPosts: 322
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ

Hard to beat 1 dollar a year

• Moridin82Moridin82 Member UncommonPosts: 103
    Backed with 180dollar..:) cant wait looks good so fare
  • JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519

Do not fund this.

Why? Mark Jacobs has not proven he's a relevant game developer in the past decade, having only Warhammer Online to show for himself.

[mod edit]

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

In live DAoC (the fake free shard is god awful), everyone seems to run like mad to the battleground non-instanced pvp zones to level up.  It's a sick amount of fun.  By 50 you are so well versed at pvp that it's a natural progression to defend the realm.

I vote WOOT.  ;)

• TalmienTalmien Member UncommonPosts: 189
    The funding seems to have slowed down alot, I'm feeling that it might not reach its goal.
  • Plastic-MetalPlastic-Metal Member Posts: 405

@Comaf:  I'd send you a private message, but some type of error is occuring.  Check your signature :)

It should be " [url=http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained][img]PAST-UPLOADED-IMAGE-URL-HERE[/img][/url] "

Hope that helps!  It looks like you're missing a [ and the image link may not be the 'direct link' url

Good luck!

My name is Plastic-Metal and my name is an oxymoron.

• SimplyAg3SimplyAg3 Member Posts: 4

I understand why people would be hesitant to drop money on an idea regardless of how good the idea is. However, for many people who play MMO's today it's quite clear that they're being turned off by these "ultra-casual everyone gets a trophy for showing up" type games. Is it a surprise when people hear something that really gets them excited, something that is different than the current market, that they would put their money behind that idea? On top of that the developer, one who has had many successes as well as some failures, is actively involved in the community and willing to listen to peoples input. I don't see Mark as being the type of guy to continue failed ideas and from what i've gathered he seems eager to make a game that will be great for this niche of players.

People funding this game, myself included, are putting money where our mouths are. We want to invest in an idea that we believe will be successful. Like all investments there is a possiblility that they will turn out bad, but just because there is a chance that an investment will go sour doesn't make the people investing in it stupid. People invest in things all the time that have a greater chance of failure than a game. (I'm looking at normal people who think putting $200 behind a politicans [they lie all the fucking time] campaign will bring them happiness, the chances of which are close to nil) 

To me games are a form of art. You have to put the money out there first before you can get what you really want. If I wanted a great family picture I would go to a photographer and give him money to take pictures. I am not guaranteed that the pictures will turn out great but that's why I look for someone who I believe has the skill to make it happen. That's essentially the same thing that is happening with this game. CSE have experience, they know the mistakes that have been made in the industry and they're passionate about this game. 

To me if the game doesn't fund than I lost nothing but if it does fund then me and the community can influence the development. Mark wants to here what we have to say and he wants us to be honest and brutal with him. It's not like we're funding a game and the developer will just vanish never to be seen until the game is released. If DAoC gave you so many years of enjoyment than I don't think it's unreasonable to put a little bit of money into a project like this. 

• MC_LaggMasterMC_LaggMaster Member Posts: 36
    I would put more money in it but I want to help in the IT.  Not willing to put up 1,000 dollars, would be willing to buy an inbetween tier if there was one.  Originally IT tier was expose to go in the 250 dollars $1/year sub, it was removed to make it so people did not buy into the IT tier for the other items.  I would be willing to pay 300-350 for a merged IT tier and @$1/year sub tier.
  • ArcherBullseyeArcherBullseye Member Posts: 77
    Originally posted by Talmien

The funding seems to have slowed down alot, I'm feeling that it might not reach its goal.

I am not too worried. No updates (yet) today so it might be slow.. CU is at 27K for the day and needs 43K to stay on pace.

• OgrelinOgrelin Member Posts: 636

25 days left to make up your minds :) Watch the updates!

• NanulakNanulak Member UncommonPosts: 372
    Sounds easy to me.  Buy now at discounted price with more game play (beta).  Or buy later at higher price and less game play.

Nanulak

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268

Originally posted by gylnne

Exactly.

Originally posted by JimmyYO

Do not fund this.

Why? Mark Jacobs has not proven he's a relevant game developer in the past decade, having only Warhammer Online to show for himself.

[mod edit]

Warhammer Online is one of the greatest MMOs I've played.

Only reason it really got crushed was because of EA's greed, releasing it too soon.

Originally posted by gylnne

Exactly.

Do not fund this.

[mod edit]

Warhammer Online is one of the greatest MMOs I've played.

Only reason it really got crushed was because of EA's greed, releasing it too soon.

One more realm and I'd still be playing it - along with a half dozen friends.

Originally posted by Plastic-Metal

@Comaf:  I'd send you a private message, but some type of error is occuring.  Check your signature :)

It should be " [url=http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained][img]PAST-UPLOADED-IMAGE-URL-HERE[/img][/url] "

Hope that helps!  It looks like you're missing a [ and the image link may not be the 'direct link' url

Good luck!

Thank you friend!

I finally got it thanks to your help.

/salute!

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by grogstorm
    Sounds easy to me.  Buy now at discounted price with more game play (beta).  Or buy later at higher price and less game play.

I don't know what I'm paying for yet. I haven't seen what they will actually be able to pull off. I know that if the game launches I'll get all the perks listed, but I still don't know how the game will play, how it will look, if the mechanics and ideas they have in mind will actually work, will work with each other. I don't know how fluid combat can be. 

I know nothing about the game besides what they hope to accomplish. I haven't even seen a playable demo. 

It's not as easy as it sounds. I actually like a lot of what I've heard about what they "want' to do, just as I liked a lot of what I heard Greed Monger "wants" to do. The problem is in the fact that I haven't seen anything to back up anything I've heard. 

So sure, I can pay less now for a game that may or may not be something I would enjoy when its finally finished if it is ever finished or I can wait and pay more but do so with a clearer idea of whether I will like the game or not, assuming I still want to purchase the game at that time. 

• dreamer05dreamer05 Member UncommonPosts: 679
    Definitely sold by the idea and a huge fan of DAoC.  However,  I'm not going to be funding anything just yet.  I hope for the best and that it meets it's goal but funding a game that is just in it's idea stage isn't a right feeling for me.  More power to those who feel like funding but I'd rather wait till it's a little further along or just buy it at release.  The ideas and interest coming from the fans and developers though shows promise.

"God, please help us sinful children of Ivalice.."

• naezgulnaezgul Member Posts: 374
    Because the $250 I'm throwing at this game is less than all the money I spent on games trying to replace the thrill I had gotten from DAoC. Even though nothing exists yet it is still my best chance because its goal IS to fill that niche/void!
  • ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351

Planetside 2....and it's free to play.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• RocketeerRocketeer Member UncommonPosts: 1,303

Personally i think we(as in the mmorpg.com community) need to support this. Not because of Mark Jacobs, the RvR focus or because we think this might be THE GAME we have been hoping for all these years(and horrible dissapointing launches), but because its the only way to break the the big publishers stranglehold on WoW clones.

If this gets funded it will change things. It will mean niche MMOs will get a chance to be developed, which in turn means YOUR me will be made.

But yeah, i liked DaoC, and i loved Warhammer(mostly due to the IP, orcs should have been their own faction). If that game hadn't been been released unfinished and then cut of at the knees as far as updates where concerned ... I want to see what kind of game MJ can create without a bunch of executives looking over his shoulder and meddling with things that should be left to people actually in the industry. If it doesn't work ... well thats life. Atleast the money will go to actual people(as in wages and stuff for the people working on the game) instead of some huge corporation thats probably paying millions in boni to managers even for failure while not even paying taxes. Can't really be sorry about that can you?

• poisonmanpoisonman Member Posts: 59

Do not fund this.

[mod edit]

Have to Agree with MikeJezz and Comaf.   Mark Jacobs is not really the person to be blaming here, that doesn't mean he wasn't part of problem nor am I trying to claim that none of the blame falls on him.  He admits his mistakes and failures.

But you have to look at the situation logically and realistically,  since the day EA bought Mythic, Mark Jacobs was no longer in charge, he was middle management at best, no real power anymore, just a fancy / flashy title.   EA was in charge, they are the ones issuing people paychecks at that point, their money, their rules.  They had all the control, I'm sure Mark tried to push back as best as he could at times and tried to convince them to do things their way, but you can only do so much.

Look at every MMO EA has had control of, they all pretty much fail because instead of trying to make a good game, and / or try something new and innovative, they are just try to be WoW and pull in WoW money / WoW numbers / and WoW levels of subscribers.

And that really is the bottom line of it all, now with using Kickstarter instead of a publisher they can control their own destiny again and do their own thing without someone constantly hanging over them forcing them to be more like WoW and pull in as many customers as possible so they can make more money.

AKA all the casual bastardization being done to every MMO nowadays, I miss the HARD old school MMOs like UO, EQ, DAoC, etc.

I agree Rocketeer

• ArbroathArbroath Member UncommonPosts: 176
    Originally posted by dreamer05
    Definitely sold by the idea and a huge fan of DAoC.  However,  I'm not going to be funding anything just yet.  I hope for the best and that it meets it's goal but funding a game that is just in it's idea stage isn't a right feeling for me.  More power to those who feel like funding but I'd rather wait till it's a little further along or just buy it at release.  The ideas and interest coming from the fans and developers though shows promise.

I hope they have a chance to show you their vision before the end of KS. Whatever it takes to get you to support a game that you say shows promise and are obviously looking forward to playing. The problem is, if we don't help it by funding it, these things that we both obviously want to see as a final MMO will never come to fruition. And we will be forced to play the games that make us feel meh. It's in the "taking a chance" that we get what it is we want to play. If we don't take that chance, we are left with big publishers pushing the same rubbish that left us searching for a game like this in the first place. 

Many people have said they are waiting for launch and are excited by the vision of the game. Problem is, if you wait to get what you want in this case, you may never get to play what you want to play. Plus, if you belive in the vision, backing the game gets you a lot of rewards in the form of reduced sub, game copies, etc. 

It's great to be a Dreamer(05) but in order to make your dreams a reality it takes action. And thats what we need to do here in order to see our dreams realized.

It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom — for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself. ~Declaration of Arbroath

• Father_JackFather_Jack Member Posts: 81
    Originally posted by Rocketeer

Personally i think we(as in the mmorpg.com community) need to support this. Not because of Mark Jacobs, the RvR focus or because we think this might be THE GAME we have been hoping for all these years(and horrible dissapointing launches), but because its the only way to break the the big publishers stranglehold on WoW clones.

If this gets funded it will change things. It will mean niche MMOs will get a chance to be developed, which in turn means YOUR me will be made.

But yeah, i liked DaoC, and i loved Warhammer(mostly due to the IP, orcs should have been their own faction). If that game hadn't been been released unfinished and then cut of at the knees as far as updates where concerned ... I want to see what kind of game MJ can create without a bunch of executives looking over his shoulder and meddling with things that should be left to people actually in the industry. If it doesn't work ... well thats life. Atleast the money will go to actual people(as in wages and stuff for the people working on the game) instead of some huge corporation thats probably paying millions in boni to managers even for failure while not even paying taxes. Can't really be sorry about that can you?

I fully agree with this. I think this is the time we could see a change in the gatekeepers of entertainment, away form big companies with small ideas and into the hands of the consumers and creators with big ideas. It's already happening in hollywood, music and comedy. But I feel as consumers we have to act and demonstrate it's somehting we want and deserve.