Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A question in regard to the ROC and advertising.

DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

I'm seeing a lot of promotion as of late for CU, I guess one could call this advertising a product, now the question is, how does MMORPG view this? Will they change such rules given the nature of Kickstarter and it's reliance on backer created advertising?

Kickstarter based games will rely mostly on fans spreading the word and advertsing the products, where is the line drawn?

How do you guys/gals (CU backers) feel about this as well?

• Advertisements
    • MMORPG.com does not allow users to advertise products or companies in our forums. If you want to advertise, contact [email protected].

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Comments

• Plastic-MetalPlastic-Metal Member Posts: 405

My counter question would be..

Do you think MMORPG will cut their own throats by removing the ability for Camelot Unchained supporters (or other games that utilize kickstarter as a means of funding) to attach a simple banner in their signature?  Every action related to removing the signature banners would assist in killing ad revenue on MMORPG made by CU traffic.

Advertising for your carpet cleaning business is totally different.

My name is Plastic-Metal and my name is an oxymoron.

• CU_now_pleaseCU_now_please Member Posts: 47
    Help us for 26days then we'll be out of your hair with a tip of our hats :)

/anon

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Plastic-Metal

Do you think MMORPG will cut their own throats by removing the ability for Camelot Unchained supporters (or other games that utilize kickstarter as a means of funding) to attach a simple banner in their signature?  Every action related to removing the signature banners would assist in killing ad revenue on MMORPG made by CU traffic.

In the ROC it's a blanket rule, so by that, it's really not different, hence the question in the OP, there's little wiggle room when looking at the rule, and like I said I wonder if that will be changed now that user supported/advertised products are becoming a more common occurance today.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Distopia

In the ROC it's a blanket rule, so by that, it's really not different, hence the question in the OP, there's little wiggle room when looking at the rule, and like I said I wonder if that will be changed now that user supported/advertised products are becoming a more common occurance today.

Life isn't black and white.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Perhaps they would just ask that you turn off signatures completely to avoid it. That would be a bit harsh though as some people like viewing (and showing) signatures without having to see advertising everywhere. Honestly, I think you make a good point.

Is your question specifically directed at signatures btw? I read your post and was thinking more about the content of thread topics advertising the game and not the signatures. And to that I would say that the area is so gray that it's difficult to really make a rule like that. The "I like this game, it's awesome!" threads have always been around and never been moderated before. I suppose there are some that are literally making an argument for people to fund the game and they might be considered advertising.

Originally posted by waynejr2
    Originally posted by Distopia

Life isn't black and white.

Well i'll be...

Originally posted by colddog04

Perhaps they would just ask that you turn off signatures completely to avoid it. That would be a bit harsh though as some people like viewing (and showing) signatures without having to see advertising everywhere. Honestly, I think you make a good point.

Is your question specifically directed at signatures btw? I read your post and was thinking more about the content of thread topics advertising the game and not the signatures. And to that I would say that the area is so gray that it's difficult to really make a rule like that. The "I like this game, it's awesome!" threads have always been around and never been moderated before. I suppose there are some that are literally making an argument for people to fund the game and they might be considered advertising.

I really wasn't thinking about the sigs in the OP, my thoughts were on the nature of kickstarter and it's reliance on fan based advertising.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

Backer signatures are fine. Spamming the forums all over with CU threads is not. Threads made elsewhere will be moved in here, and hijacking other discussions isn't cool either.

MikeB can answer more about policy, but just keep the general rules in mind when posting.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

• OgrelinOgrelin Member Posts: 636

Don't know, perhaps if the company behind the KS was here and actively promoted the game, but not people who like the game.

• SorninSornin Member Posts: 1,133

Heaven forbid we support an MMORPG on a site called MMORPG.com in the forums specifically designed for that MMORPG!

Like Amana said, there is nothing wrong with discussing and supporting the game in its own forums. I also agree that some backers have been too zealous and have rudely gone to other areas to get support where it is unwanted - that is not cool.

But everything in this forum should be just fine; I am sure MMORPG.com is enjoying the number of hits and ad impressions this one forum is driving - likely almost as much as the rest of the forums combined!

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by CU_now_please
    Help us for 26days then we'll be out of your hair with a tip of our hats :)

Sounds good. I will save this and print off many many copies. These I will hand out to all to mop up their tears of woe when CU fails to live up to their expectations. While handing them out I will explain that I am happy to help whipe up tears, but other than that I have been freed of responsibility and would sure like it if you hushed up.

/sarcasm off

But seriously, if it is bad the forums will errupt in chaos and I will remind all of this attitude.