Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why the hype

Comments

• Corinthian-XCorinthian-X Member Posts: 86
    Originally posted by PerfArt
    Honestly, we are all just hyped up because we are idiotic troglodytes that don't possess the cognitive capacities of most other mmorpg forum posters and have all been snared by a magical form of hype-notism for which there is no precedence. We are all very sorry for inconveniencing you, and will soon be gone so that you can return to your regularly scheduled forum wars based upon unreleased games that have gameplay videos up that completely let you know how a game will play and thus matter more than design concepts that interest us (in an obviously misguided fashion.)

It took this to make me realize how foolish I have been. I am sorry that concepts excite me more than "proven" gameplay videos deciphered by expert video analysts. I made the mistake of believing in a concept that will never see fruition unless I believe in it, rather than hovering on the sidelines bitching about every game that doesn't meet the exact criteria of the dream game I am not willing to pay for. I am sorry that I think service should deserve payment.

I also don't hover over a live feed on a mmorpg forum and chime in just because it is attracting the most activity. I would ask why the copycat themepark mmos aren't attracting similar interests here, but then I remember that this is a dedicated mmorpg forum, and that the fact that this game is attracting this negative attention, even in pre-production, is indicative of the levels of banality and homogenization the genre has reached. That is my, and I dare say OUR bad. We should not have usurped your very meaningful forum power. Ironically, I didn't give a SHIT about your forum dynamics. I just wanted to talk about the game. Really. So effing sorry. We weren't trying to mess with anyone.

We didn't realize that it was stupid to believe in a brilliant concept. But thanks to the efforts of forum warriors that defend the sanctity of tried-and-true forum wars, we will go ahead and forget about what we love about this game concept and replace it with jaded cynicism. Does that make you less annoyed?

Don't think too harshly of us. We didn't know that there were rules for being interested.

Here's what's awesome. Us cluttering up your precious realtime feed is totally more annoying than us trying to talk amongst one another and being attacked for it. IN A DEDICATED FORUM.

I know this might be crazy, but maybe if you have a real problem with it, you should contact the site and petition for filters.

Oh, wait. Then what would you do for fun? Play games? Nah. Apparently they all suck.

Impressive! You opened with PA and finished the fight before the stun from Dragonfang wore off!

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by Beerman27

All i can see is this game has some art and a kickstarter and some whispers of ideas with a heap of added assumption?

am i missing something here? i cant see why this idea of a mmo is so hyped up whats the development time? from the look of the website its 4 years away.

How do you figure this out?

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by Fearum
    Originally posted by naezgul
    Originally posted by Sebali

I dont get the hype either.

all we have seen is ideas and promises. 

they have a website that has nothing on it but them begging for cash and "principles"

c'mon.

they are at the most infantile stages of this game. they have ZERO hyet they are begging for cash

No different than what they do in front of a boardroom 

Except the board room isnt going to make them add panda's or anything else to bring in more kids, because there is no boardroom.

*Yawn*

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• ArbroathArbroath Member UncommonPosts: 176

I find it amazing that people won't back a brilliant concept for a game being developed by a proven dev. The fact that a $25 investment, which includes the game at launch, is met with souch anxiety is baffeling. Instead you are drawn to games backed by large budget publishers who show you snippets of exactly what you need to see to be sucked in. It's like movie previews. You see the preview and think what a great freaking movie. But when you get there you realize they showed you the best parts, and the rest is complete fucking rubbish. But you see the pretty graphics, the dazzling effects, and the ad banners around every screen and you let yourselves get tricked....again. I did the same thing with GW2. The game is shite. You get to the end and there is fuck all to do. But they presented it so very well. It was a must have game...couldn't loose. Well I fucking lost. Because it sucks. And I "invested" $60 in that steaming heap of shit. 

excuse me while I refill my whisky...

And now I have an oppertunity to spend as little as $25 on a game that has so much potential, even if it's only in concept atm. I'm sick of being a corporate sheep. I'd rather take the risk (which I don't feel much at all) to see a concept I believe in to fruition. 

Sheep baffle me

It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom — for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself. ~Declaration of Arbroath

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Many years and much hard work to go; the self-evident point of this thread?

But don't underestimate the power of the pre-built fanbase carryover from a previous game(s) -- remember what Blizzard did with theirs?

You are are currently using a marketing engine's free message board. See the advertisements?

<----Games listed (individually!) over there? Interviews with developers, articles about gaming, etc?

From time to time, you will encounter "Hype", from various titles upon this site. Something else that, perhaps, could be considered more fodder for Captain Obvious.

If you intensely dislike "hype"--common sense would suggest closing your browser now, or at least navigating it to some other location on the internet.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• gylnnegylnne Member UncommonPosts: 322

they have a website that has nothing on it but them begging for cash and "principles"

c'mon.

they are at the most infantile stages of this game. they have ZERO hyet they are begging for cash

Sebali do you understand what kickstarter is for? It is a platform to raise money to make something, which in turn you usually get something for your support, game at reduce price, etc.

I have scoured kickstarter in the gaming area and many developers wanting help creating a game have no more than art work, etc. posted.

I don't know what you consider hype. My excitement stems from Mark Jacobs Foundational Principles he will create CU with.

Just the kind of game I have been looking for.:)

• OgrelinOgrelin Member Posts: 636

If you are wondering what we are exited about, and why we are spreading the word about a game we haven't seen yet it's because we LIKE the ideas the persons behind CU has presented to us.

And it's a natural part of a KS for the backers to try to spread the word about the project so that is becomes funded.

You don't see this from fanboys (Yes we are) to other games because they don't have to promote their game to make it a reality.

• SebaliSebali Member UncommonPosts: 395
    Originally posted by gylnne

c'mon.

Sebali do you understand what kickstarter is for? It is a platform to raise money to make something, which in turn you usually get something for your support, game at reduce price, etc.

I have scoured kickstarter in the gaming area and many developers wanting help creating a game have no more than art work, etc. posted.

I don't know what you consider hype. My excitement stems from Mark Jacobs Foundational Principles he will create CU with.

Just the kind of game I have been looking for.:)

i get what kickstarter is and am all for it. this thread, however, asks why the hype.

so im pointing out that this game his hyped to all hell yell they dont have such things as pree alpha footage, concept art, direction beyond 3 real rvr...hell they dont even have a name.

yet its being hyped and people are donating. I dont get it. and ill say again, all other kickstarters i have seen the devs actually had a working product. they already had their own ideas theire own concept.

these guys have squat

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

All i can see is this game has some art and a kickstarter and some whispers of ideas with a heap of added assumption?

am i missing something here? i cant see why this idea of a mmo is so hyped up whats the development time? from the look of the website its 4 years away.

everyone who played DAoC is hoping for a similiar good work :) thats it

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• HeartsparkHeartspark Member Posts: 69
    Originally posted by BowbowDAoC

http://camelotunchained.com

Yep it sure does have a website.

You could, you know, read the kickstarter page and everything is answered for you. 2015 is date. 2 is not 5. Simple math.

Heartspark: Animist rr12, bors, Lone Enforcer, Retired

Dranzerk: Berzerker (kay) retired
    Dhei: Spiritmaster (Kay) retired
    Goblinking : Hunter (Kay) retired
    Moongoose: Shadowblade (Kay) retired

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759

I watched the recent video with the "man" telling me why this game is going to be so great. I do like some of the ideas of the game, but (and you knew there was gin gto be a but) the crafting concept, right now, just does not play out basaed on how I am understanding the concept.

As far as "why so much hype" goes.... it has brought back the memories of the "Good Ol'days". What many will find out though.... there is a reason they are the "Good Ol'days".  

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323
    Originally posted by Slampig

Except the board room isnt going to make them add panda's or anything else to bring in more kids, because there is no boardroom.

*Yawn*

Yea, when in doubt and you have nothing else to go on bash WoW. Its cool to bash WoW.

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by GreenHell

*Yawn*

Yea, when in doubt and you have nothing else to go on bash WoW. Its cool to bash WoW.

Ok, hello-kitty back packs like GW2. Sorry for offending you about panda's didnt know WoW had them tm. How about SWtOR, probably ruined by suits, or is that offending you also? How about EA and FIFA 2012 and 2013? Same exact game with updated roster but sold as a new game. COD with just a higher number added to the end and sold as a new game, they keep doing this type of stuff and consumers keep buying it like they are mental.

• Plastic-MetalPlastic-Metal Member Posts: 405
    Why hasn't this been locked and the trolls within it slapped with a warning?

My name is Plastic-Metal and my name is an oxymoron.

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699

If there's one thing they love around here, it's a game that's in potentia. The most popular game will always be the one that's not released yet because it can and, in the minds of the faithful, will be whatever they want it to be. Toss in some buzzword bingo -- PvP! RvR! DAoC! Sandbox! -- and you're golden.

Not exactly a tough market to crack if you know your audience, and if there's one thing the person behind this has shown, it's that he knows his audience.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

The hype will fade away soon.  It's hot right only since Jacobs needs money.

by 2017, the same folks hyping CU might not even still be interested & possibly no longer working for MJ.

3, 4, 5 years .. games rarely keep their release schedule.  All the premature hype is a bit silly outside of an ambitious, yet unrevealing kickstarter project.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• Plastic-MetalPlastic-Metal Member Posts: 405
    Originally posted by Karteli

by 2017, the same folks hyping CU might not even still be interested & possibly no longer working for MJ. 

This made me LOL if you think a majority of the vocal supporters work for Mark Jacobs or City State Entertainment.  You're completely clueless.

My name is Plastic-Metal and my name is an oxymoron.

• FugglierFugglier Member Posts: 25
    Why the hype? Are you new to mmorpg.com? This is one of many things we do here.

"..........Lulz......try to IP ban me if you want, hasn't worked yet. I am still here. I have always been here.........."

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

3, 4, 5 years .. games rarely keep their release schedule.  All the premature hype is a bit silly outside of an ambitious, yet unrevealing kickstarter project.

Don't be sad because a game you look forward too isnt getting that much hype, it just makes you look bitter.

• gylnnegylnne Member UncommonPosts: 322

Don't be sad because a game you look forward too isnt getting that much hype, it just makes you look bitter.

rofl

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323
    Originally posted by GreenHell

*Yawn*

Ok, hello-kitty back packs like GW2. Sorry for offending you about panda's didnt know WoW had them tm. How about SWtOR, probably ruined by suits, or is that offending you also? How about EA and FIFA 2012 and 2013? Same exact game with updated roster but sold as a new game. COD with just a higher number added to the end and sold as a new game, they keep doing this type of stuff and consumers keep buying it like they are mental.

Oh yes, I am so offended by what a nameless, faceless, person on a video game forum has posted.

It's amazing to me that you have trouble understanding that people keep buying those games because they enjoy them. Its a tough one to understand I know. The world does not work how YOU want it to.

The problem is you just don't like the direction that this industry has been going for many years. Way before WoW. You call people that buy and play games that they enjoy mental. WTF does that make you? A person that bitches and complains and then insults people who are actually having fun? 

If you are an example of the CU community then it is doomed to failure. Your elitist attitude is only matched by your ignorance. Bashing one game to try and make another look good is pathetic. Really though thats all you can do though considering CU has nothing to show for itself except some ideas and promises. Since you have nothing you take the easy way out and do the most popular thing you can think of..bash WoW.

• StormsoneStormsone Member UncommonPosts: 83
    Originally posted by Fugglier
    Why the hype? Are you new to mmorpg.com? This is one of many things we do here.

Yes but usually there is an actual product to hype not a bunch of gibberish and promises. I mean did people actually read the camelot unchained website? Could the developers be any more vague? I would never give someone money who can't even be specific about what their product is going to be like.

Heres an example they have their so called  foundational principle 11# .What is the principal here? All they write about  is that they like sandboxes but won't be calling their game a sandbox game. It took  1526 words just to say that they won't be a calling themselves a sandbox, no mention of a themepark design either but,  if they copy dark age of camelot design they will be a themepark. Everything they have said so far implies they will be a themepark game like daoc but they don't want to say that of course,they might lose potentials fans or be called  a wow clone. This is not a principal or idea its 100% bs as are most their foundational principals.Its purposely vague and intended to sound like they have a plan and know what they are talking about so they can get idiots to give them money.

Frankly as someone who enjoyed daoc I find this to be a cheap exploit of fond memories people have of playing daoc not  a real visionary attempt to improve upon the orginal game. Time will tell of course  and I hope I am wrong and that this turns out to be a great game.

One other thing thats abit off topic. Does anyone else find it ironic that CU is getting  a million dollars in kickstarter fund with the only real concrete feature being three faction pvp while the Elder Scrolls online is being trashed for having that feature?

• AeodoAeodo Member Posts: 61
    all other kickstarters i have seen the devs actually had a working product. they already had their own ideas theire own concept.

these guys have squat

You didn't see Tides of Numenera's kickstarter, which just broke a record in kickstarter history.

These guys had only concept arts too, no gameplay footage, no screenshots. If people funded it so quick, it's because they believed in the developers team and in the ideas. It's exactly the same thing, except Torment won't be a MMO.

• SalemovSalemov Member UncommonPosts: 17
    Originally posted by evil13

"Im not trolling at all i love the idea of the game will likely play it when it comes out"

This just it - the game isn't going to come out unless it gets backed. CSE is asking the market (that would be us, the players) to tell them what we want. If there is enough interest, they will make it, if there isn't... well, why make a game that people don't want to play?

So the current kickstarter is as much a vote for the actual game (which doesn't exist beyond concepts and ideas atm) as it is a vote for the concept the game is based on - tri-realm RvR with little to no focus on PvE.  If that's a game you want to play, well, better back this up because no one else is making this type of a game.

I agree. and one more thing for me backing up in kickstart not to buy  somthing but to help somone achive his goal(oky getting into the beta is nice:) )

• naezgulnaezgul Member Posts: 374
    Originally posted by Salemov
    Originally posted by evil13

"Im not trolling at all i love the idea of the game will likely play it when it comes out"

This just it - the game isn't going to come out unless it gets backed. CSE is asking the market (that would be us, the players) to tell them what we want. If there is enough interest, they will make it, if there isn't... well, why make a game that people don't want to play?

So the current kickstarter is as much a vote for the actual game (which doesn't exist beyond concepts and ideas atm) as it is a vote for the concept the game is based on - tri-realm RvR with little to no focus on PvE.  If that's a game you want to play, well, better back this up because no one else is making this type of a game.

I agree. and one more thing for me backing up in kickstart not to buy  somthing but to help somone achive his goal(oky getting into the beta is nice:) )

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHH.....MY EYES.....I'VE BEEN BLINDED!