Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Re. CC and why it should be in CU: Group Fights! :P

Lore84Lore84 Member Posts: 69

Yeah yeah this isn't DAOC....but I can't believe there are not people around here that doesn't want those good times back of full group roaming fun xD This is a good video of what is was like back on my server in the day, even after TOA (but before NF *shudders*) and my argument for why CU should have CC, without it, it really is going to be a nasty zergfest :D

^^ Won't be happening without some nice strong CC and proper tanks being back :D Nice hard CC and stuns makes for a fun game. Getting steamrolled by a zerg constantly is boring and should not be catered for. So, heres to hoping CSE and MJ! If you want a good idea of how tanks should be, slam/guard is a good and simple place to start xD See above for how it can be used to help protect your group xD

Not that CU will be or should be a DAOC clone, but I think we should be taking the good elements from it :P

As a side note, anyone else from old Excalibur around? ^.^ Was a nice trip down memory lane!

Ex-DAOC, Excalibur

Comments

• Corinthian-XCorinthian-X Member Posts: 86
    Mark has already said that CC will be in the game. I'm not sure if it will be to the extent of DAoC, but he has said he wants well-coordinated, small groups to be able to take on the less organized masses and have a chance to win.
  • SBE1SBE1 Member UncommonPosts: 340

I don't mind having some CC in the game.  Some being the key word.

Furthermore, you have to have a class in each realm that is pretty much immune to CC, like a lightly armored melee DPS.  Plus, the less CC you put in the game, the less effective interrupts should be on people like casters and archers.  Perhaps you don't fully interrupt them, but you slow their casting speed down by 50%.

Back in DAOC where CC was super powerful, it made sense that once a caster/archer was under attack, you were shut down. It would be unfair to have hardly any CC combined with the ability to permanately interrupt a caster/archer.  

• OgrelinOgrelin Member Posts: 636

Stunns that hold forever is real nasty, mezzes and roots aint that bad.

• OdamanOdaman Member UncommonPosts: 195
    I'd rather see hard interrupts than long duration cc... if it were an either or choice :) I agree though, the game needs it and mj already stated there would be some (duration etc is up in the air still).
  • AdorianBladeAdorianBlade Member Posts: 62

I honsetly think with game design at the point it is we should have all the CC back, I remember being hit with CC and it sucked, it sucked hard. Yet at the same time if we got the CC off and were well cordinated it easily allowed us to take on 3 FG's at once as a single FG. Giving this power back to the group in a open world Tri Realm enviorment is the single most entertaining thing you can give. Most of my stories involved some sort of CC and why it ruined us or worked for us. Too many attempts at large open world PvP have shied away from CC to keep down the whiners, however this isn't a game for hand holding and fihgts should last more then 2 seconds. So for me I want it all back.

Aadorian Alb Igraine Scout

Farhnin Mid Gareth Pac Healer

• Lore84Lore84 Member Posts: 69
    Originally posted by AdorianBlade

I honsetly think with game design at the point it is we should have all the CC back, I remember being hit with CC and it sucked, it sucked hard. Yet at the same time if we got the CC off and were well cordinated it easily allowed us to take on 3 FG's at once as a single FG. Giving this power back to the group in a open world Tri Realm enviorment is the single most entertaining thing you can give. Most of my stories involved some sort of CC and why it ruined us or worked for us. Too many attempts at large open world PvP have shied away from CC to keep down the whiners, however this isn't a game for hand holding and fihgts should last more then 2 seconds. So for me I want it all back.

Aadorian Alb Igraine Scout

Farhnin Mid Gareth Pac Healer

^^ This! So agree :D

Ex-DAOC, Excalibur

• belatucadrosbelatucadros Member UncommonPosts: 264
    Lots of people seem fine with CC, provided care is taken:
    http://www.mmorpg.com/mobile/forums.cfm?ismb=1&threadId=380564
  • fanglofanglo Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Originally posted by Ogrelin

4 seconds should be the max for a stun. Daoc and its 9 second stun is way op

I healed Mistwraith and all I got was this stupid tee-shirt!

• AdorianBladeAdorianBlade Member Posts: 62
    Originally posted by fanglo

TTK has changed alot over the last 2 decades, 9 seconds was painful i agree but OP? maybe in todays world where the average pvp encounter is less then 30 seconds.

• ArcherBullseyeArcherBullseye Member Posts: 77
    i feel some type of CC is needed for support classes.. A healer and crafter need some way to defend themselves or atleast get a chance to run away..

• OdamanOdaman Member UncommonPosts: 195
    I don't mind stun being a bit shorter than daoc since caster stun were trash and melee stuns really weren't combating larger forces anyways. Though I don't think 9s stun was overpowered, ttk was longer (with the exception of overpowered mechanics... and casters after toa).
  • PeZzyPeZzy Member UncommonPosts: 154
    Some people believe the excessive use of CC drove players away from DAoC.
  • naezgulnaezgul Member Posts: 374
    Originally posted by AdorianBlade
    Originally posted by fanglo

TTK has changed alot over the last 2 decades, 9 seconds was painful i agree but OP? maybe in todays world where the average pvp encounter is less then 30 seconds.

When you had no buffs and was hit with a 5 sec. Stun by a botted toon it meant doom......

now with "free" buffs it's nowhere near as bad.....

• naezgulnaezgul Member Posts: 374
    Originally posted by PeZzy
    Some people believe the excessive use of CC drove players away from DAoC.
    The added time sink of ToA and champion levels to remain competitive did that
  • KarraptathidKarraptathid Member Posts: 78
    Originally posted by naezgul

now with "free" buffs it's nowhere near as bad.....

NPC buffers were needed because from the get go, there was very rare for potion drops from mobs.  And the potions out there were not good enough for the level to give a toon a fighting chance against those who had buffs.  Hopefully CSE will make it fairly easty to buy potions or have them dropped in RVR kills. 

Back on topic, CC FTW!  Long as there is no baseline stun/nuke/nuke class, it's all good as long as there are counter CC abilities/spells/items for people to use.

Midranki - To us, Thidranki Faste is not just some center keep, it's our field Guild Hall.
    Camelot Unchained's Kickstarter - Warrior Forever