Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] World of WarPlanes: Wargaming Storms GDC

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

During the recent Game Developers' Conference, the Wargaming team made a big splash with both World of WarPlanes and the new tablet game, World of Tanks: Blitz. We caught up with Wargaming and have a preview of both to share. Check it out!

World of Warplanes continues to run in closed beta. They are using this time to add polish to the game and tweak some of the gameplay. With their fourth build they have recently revamped the visuals to make them much more vivid. They are also taking feedback from the community to customize controls more towards a flight simulator. The game will support basic controls for everyone however, there is a group of testers who really want to set up controls like a simulator. The team at Wargaming.net is working to make sure those controls are also in the game. Right now they are balancing how deep to go with simulator controls compared to fast-paced gameplay. They also want to make sure it all works with flight sticks and game pads.

Read more of Garrett Fuller's World of WarPlanes: Wargaming Storms GDC.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

I want world of battleships now lol..

• GrafbendaGrafbenda Member Posts: 51
    World of Tanks is not bad, but thier latest effort "World of Warplanes" falls short when compared to War Thunder!

• HolyfleadipHolyfleadip Member Posts: 67

Pure PVP.

No constant world, no exploration, no auction, nothing to do but the battle sim runs.  It got old.  I hit lvl 8 on a couple tanks and a TD, then quit. 

I had hope for Mechwarrior on-line, but it's the same as this. 

If you're a purist pvper, then this is a hit for you for sure.  It is well designed, and is good if you only have a few minutes to do a round. 

They have messed up arty, but beyond that it's good.

• MMO_FanMMO_Fan Member UncommonPosts: 178
    Originally posted by Grafbenda
    World of Tanks is not bad, but thier latest effort "World of Warplanes" falls short when compared to War Thunder!

I've endured wowp since alpha and was very happy to have found a fun, well designed and managed game like War Thunder.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

*cough* Star Conflict *cough*.

Made by the same guys as War Thunder.

• ReesRacerReesRacer Member UncommonPosts: 179
    Originally posted by BizkitNL

*cough* Star Conflict *cough*.

Made by the same guys as War Thunder.

actually Star Conflict is only being published by Gaijin.

nevertheless, War Thunder is a much better game at this stage of development, but Wargaming.net is not stupid, and the competition has led to numerous improvements. this kind of direct competition in almost exactly the same genre can only mean good things for the consumer. 

• ManioxManiox Member Posts: 25
    No matter what these two rivaling companies decides to do, I would imagine it would only benefit the players as they are gonna have fierce competition, and War Thunder being the better game by an immensely large margin compared to Wowp atm.

no i

• HancakesHancakes Member Posts: 1,045

While they both need work, War Thunder is better hands down.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Found it to be a far weaker product than other flight games.  Needs a lot of work.
  • LokathLokath Member Posts: 33
    Quit treating Wargaming.net stuff as MMOs. They're not, any more than CoD:MW is. MW probably has even more players than WoT.
  • TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953
    World of warplanes is terrible. Horrible controls & gameplay. Warthunder & Heroes in the sky are much more enjoyable.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Didnt try WoWar because I didnt really like WoT all that much...Sure the first couple of tiers was fun, but then you hit 4-5 and all of a sudden you can't do any damage unless you buy better ammo in the cash shop...No thanks...Figured WoWar will follow the same footsteps and just sounded like a short term game.
  • Radar11xRadar11x Member UncommonPosts: 118
    Originally posted by MMO_Fan

I've endured wowp since alpha and was very happy to have found a fun, well designed and managed game like War Thunder.

i agree with these comments.

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    Originally posted by Lokath
    Quit treating Wargaming.net stuff as MMOs. They're not, any more than CoD:MW is. MW probably has even more players than WoT.

Agreed!

It's nothing more than an online FPS game, except you drive a tank. 15 v 15 is not Massive! Doesn't matter how many arre registered or in the garage - read Lobby - only how many play together.

For an MMORPG site there's far too many games here that just don't qualify. Maybe you should rename the site to OMG.com Online Multiplayer Games.

• korsunkorsun Member Posts: 2

Does anybody at mmorpg.com actually play games anymore?  I mean have you even tried it?  Or just copy & past a press release from Wargaming.net. May be should divert some attention to Warthunder?

Don't just blindly support the big names...

it is your business to inform us gamers on the good titles.  And on this occurence, you fail short

• Land_SharkLand_Shark Member UncommonPosts: 52
    WoWP does not, and will not, ever come close to Warthunder. They are too far behind the 8 ball, and Gaijin's game is improving by leaps and bounds ahead of it's 'competitor' (I use that term very loosely).
  • Land_SharkLand_Shark Member UncommonPosts: 52
    Not only these points you've mentioned, but at least Warthunder is aiming to be a 'true' MMO with it's World War mode. As it stands, it already has something for everyone in Arcade mode, Historical mode, and Full Real Battle mode; World War will be the icing on the cake when planes, tanks and ships are all fighting in the same persistent map. Wargaming.net isn't even bothering to do that!!!