Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gametrailer's launch report: stay away from the console version

Comments

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997
    well if Defiance play, like they show in the report, TRION certainly should have made FFXIV, and just push the launch for the console version, even if it would miss the TV show release, which ofc is defiance major selling point - but releasing in that state aint acceptable
  • RzepRzep Member UncommonPosts: 767

I can't say I am surprised and it is all down to what I think we all have heard throughout the years about updating games on consoles. It is no secret that the closed nature of consoles is a major obstacle to quick patches. Everything has to go through a certification process and supposedly costs money making releasing patches a more time consuming and costly endevour.

So instead of small patches fixing problems as they show up, the devs are most likely going to release bigger patches less often.

• LivnthedreamLivnthedream Member Posts: 555
    LOL. Oh god, if its actually worse on console than pc I truly pity anyone who shelled out for it.
  • fallenlordsfallenlords Member UncommonPosts: 683

It's weird but are the issues only happening to Xbox users in the USA? Because I have had no problems at all. I got a message the other day about being in the queue but after 15 seconds waiting I was in with no bother.  Not come across a quest with an issue yet.  Ark fall events seem fine to me as well, you get the odd bit of lag but then with that many players it isn't surprising. They say they are trying to fine tune the Xbox cluster to sort this out.  Textures and that are muddy, but then it's a console it's what you expect.  The games has got to run at a reasonable wallop on an outdated machine with a lot more players than the norm.  Texture quality is going to be way down low.   But then I was never expecting Crysis 3 type graphics from this game and I think in terms of multiplayer they are pushing the Xbox to the limits. probably beyond.

I am actually impressed  by the Xbox version in the scope of what they are trying to achieve. I half expected a lot more issues.  There is some random stuff going on, like my runner keeps changing colour on each spawn. Few items do seem to have gone missing in the inventory if you mess around with the Salvage Matrix.  Odd things like that.  On that video he seemed to be making a big deal of a floating player - graphical glitches like that aren't they the norm for most MMO's.  Isn't  getting stuck also a norm. Hence most of the time you have some sort of unstuck command.  

Pretty weak to my mind warning people off the console version, the PC is always going to be graphically superior so it's a bit of a none argument. If textures matter to you, don't buy the console version is perhaps more what he should of said.  As for all the other problems not really seeing them, perhaps just lucky or the time I play or something.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by Volgore

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/wa7mty/defiance-launch-report

Good thing i skipped console version.

• StrommStromm Member Posts: 243
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Rzep

I can't say I am surprised and it is all down to what I think we all have heard throughout the years about updating games on consoles. It is no secret that the closed nature of consoles is a major obstacle to quick patches. Everything has to go through a certification process and supposedly costs money making releasing patches a more time consuming and costly endevour.

So instead of small patches fixing problems as they show up, the devs are most likely going to release bigger patches less often.

Only major design changing things have to pass Microsoft recertification process. Defiance for Xbox has already undergone several patches since launch, often several patches a day, so obviously those did not have to pass recert.

Bottom line Trion is working hard to fix stuff as usual, they are the most aggressive Dev when it comes to patching fixes.

That's as may be, but the real question is "How did such an unacceptable product go live?".

Back in the day one of the console advantages I used to eye off enviously (as a PC gamer) was the stability and reliability of their games. No online connectivity meant the devs had to get it right for release. The advantages of the console platform being a predictable and static hardware/software config facilitated this. The price you paid was that it was a console game, weaker hardware, worse peripherals and controls in general.

Now it seems like devs just don't give a shit because they know they can send you through endless patch cycles.

I havn't played the game in beta or live but from reviews and vids my take away is:

- The PC players are unhappy with a console-port version of the game.

- The 360 players are unhappy because their version is a mess.

- The PS3 players aren't making any noise I have noticed.

TRION needs a serious arse-kicking for putting out a product like this. 1 out of 3 platforms being acceptable is not the standard they need to be setting for themselves.

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

PLaying this on the PS3 and it's pretty fun. The frame rate can get pretty low during Arkfalls after like a hundred people swarm around, but it's not all that bad. I did, however, get disconnected quite frequently as was mentioned in this video.

Aside from it being a TPS, it's pretty generic as far as MMO's go, however. Nothing crazy special to point out as of yet, but I've only played for a few hours really.

• StrommStromm Member Posts: 243
    Originally posted by Stromm
    Originally posted by Rzep

Only major design changing things have to pass Microsoft recertification process. Defiance for Xbox has already undergone several patches since launch, often several patches a day, so obviously those did not have to pass recert.

Bottom line Trion is working hard to fix stuff as usual, they are the most aggressive Dev when it comes to patching fixes.

That's as may be, but the real question is "How did such an unacceptable product go live?".

Back in the day one of the console advantages I used to eye off enviously (as a PC gamer) was the stability and reliability of their games. No online connectivity meant the devs had to get it right for release. The advantages of the console platform being a predictable and static hardware/software config facilitated this. The price you paid was that it was a console game, weaker hardware, worse peripherals and controls in general.

Now it seems like devs just don't give a shit because they know they can send you through endless patch cycles.

I havn't played the game in beta or live but from reviews and vids my take away is:

- The PC players are unhappy with a console-port version of the game.

- The 360 players are unhappy because their version is a mess.

- The PS3 players aren't making any noise I have noticed.

TRION needs a serious arse-kicking for putting out a product like this. 1 out of 3 platforms being acceptable is not the standard they need to be setting for themselves.

You are generalizing - some are unhappy some are loving it. 

As a PC player I am having a blast, so is my guild.

Are there those who hate it, sure there are, as is the case with every game. But there is no consensus like you are concluding.

Xbox-US players have had issues for sure, but Xbox EU seems to be fine.

Again I disagree with your assessment as "unacceptable product" that is IMO, far to harsh and over dramatic.

Fair enough, you're actually playing, I'm just going off gameplay vids. Perhaps you have different standards, so acceptable to you includes the footage in the OP. That doesn't work for me.

I bought Darksiders II (PC) and binned it for the very same reason, terrible Consolified UI.

Oh and don't misunderstand, the basic game concept actually sounds ok for a bit of fun. My concerns are about implementation not game design so much.

• BaltoBroBaltoBro Member Posts: 48
    Playing on Xbox and every day is a new issue.  The "service not available" has been an every day issue though.
  • hidrohidro Member UncommonPosts: 52

My friends and I are having a blast. We are in Canada.. we picked it up on 360 on release day..

Yeah, there were some hickups on release day and a few days after that. Yes I got disconnected OCCASIONALLY (Played from 5PM until 7AM last night, 4 man LAN.. 4 TV's and Xbox's in one room... boy it was getting hot in there) and I only got disconnected once. Well... minus the fact that everything I would win/lose a PVP Competitive map it would kick me off. but questing and whatnot was flawless.

I think the big problem here for console gamers is that they are not used to playing MMO's at launch like we are... We are used to seeing issues.. especially with server optimization and handling the bulk of players.

Then again.. even with all these issues, everyone is still playing the game.. because it IS fun. I did not enjoy it so much on my PC.. but for consoles, its really a blast to play with friends!

Console Esports?
    www.supergamebowl.com

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    Thats funny because the PC version is a pretty crummy console port, imo. 
  • fallenlordsfallenlords Member UncommonPosts: 683
    Console release is a brave move.  You can't hide behind it's your graphics card, settings, internet connection, drivers, DX level etc etc. In other words deflect the user into thinking it's something their end to buy you any breathing time.  Game just has to work on console.  Because as console users there is nothing to tweak our end.  Probably the reason most MMO developers have stayed well away from releasing on console, they wouldn't be able to hack it (yes looking at your Funcom who announced TSW on the Xbox and didn't deliver).

Trion have admitted the issues, which do seem predominantly USA based at least on Xbox.   They are fine tuning things to get balance - releasing a major client patch on the 15th.  Another major patch a few weeks after.  Acknowledge the problems and address them... I can't see what more they can do.  I think people need to cut them a bit of slack, just due to the scope of the whole game.  Most MMO's launch on just one platform and make an ass of it.

• BaltoBroBaltoBro Member Posts: 48
    Originally posted by BaltoBro
    Playing on Xbox and every day is a new issue.  The "service not available" has been an every day issue though.

Assuming US Xbox, have you been able to play this morning? How has it been today?

this morning was fine, tried again around 5pm and service got disconnected, haven't tried again

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153

Assuming US Xbox, have you been able to play this morning? How has it been today?

this morning was fine, tried again around 5pm and service got disconnected, haven't tried again

It's a pity.  I would be nice if Defiance could work as  gateway drug to get some more of the console gamers into the MMO PC market, and ideally more developers doing some more cross-platform games.  360 and PS3 are really showing their age now, though.