Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn: Tempting FATE

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

It seems that 'dynamic content' is all the rage in MMOs these days. But sometimes that dynamic content can be a double-edged sword. In today's Eorzea Reborn column, we take a look at how that might manifest in Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn. Read on before heading to the comments.

In the recent Video Producer’s Letter embedded above, Yoshida demonstrates a couple of FATE iterations.  For an example, see the 1:05:33 mark of the producer’s letter.  In one example, the players have to fend off waves of rushing Goblins.  In the video, FATE appears both on the mini-map and zone map (1:06:59) and appears to have context sensitive pop-up text for each FATE (in Japanese, so I can’t be certain).  In the second demonstration (1:09:25), the heroes are working together to take a fort from bandits.  Entering a FATE area prompts the player with a large splash screen message and gives the player a set of objectives for the FATE.  Players appear to work together to complete the FATE, regardless of whether or not they are in a party.

Read more of Ryahl Smith's Eorzea Reborn: Tempting FATE.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Dynamic events need to become a standard in mmo development. I know GW2 set it a standard for me. It will be hard for me to engage a new mmo that only offers generic questing as the main route of character / story progression. Hopefully the more people implement it the more fresh ideas will come to both improve the way dynamic events are used these days and how can they evolve into even more branching (and with more consequences) and in-depth content.

I hope the FATE take on dynamic events work well in FF14.

Me + FF14 beta = happy panda. Gimmie now!

• NoizMchnNoizMchn Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Nice to see Funcom get some of the respect it deserves.  They had horrible launches and no one can deny that, but they also are very innovative.
  • WaldoeWaldoe Member UncommonPosts: 642
    Originally posted by NoizMchn
    Nice to see Funcom get some of the respect it deserves.  They had horrible launches and no one can deny that, but they also are very innovative.

• ThourneThourne Member RarePosts: 757

Anyone who cannot recognize Funcom's innovations and abilities to think outside the box is just blind.

Have they failed on execution from time to time?

Definately! ... but they do not play it safe most of the time either.

• Shana77Shana77 Member UncommonPosts: 290
    Originally posted by Thourne

Anyone who cannot recognize Funcom's innovations and abilities to think outside the box is just blind.

Have they failed on execution from time to time?

Definately! ... but they do not play it safe most of the time either.

I agree, games like Age of Conan (combat system) and secret world (skill system, puzzle quests) each brought something new. 

Another great thing about Funcom is that I love the settings of their games, Science Fiction, violent and sexist Hyboria and finally the cult modern setting of the secret world. I wish more mmo's did that. 

Where they unfortunatly fail is in execution. It's a shame this company doesn't have more money, time and patience to really polish their games like some of the bigger studios can. AoC was a buggy mess upon launch and regions felt unfinished, The Secret World had horrible combat animations and a terrible and offputing character creation. 

• ThachsanhThachsanh Member Posts: 331
    The writer forgot FFXI Besieged system in Treasure of Aht Urhgan expansion. That's 2006.
  • VembumeesVembumees Member Posts: 79
    I wish best of luck to funcom, I hope they manage and will make a great expansion.
  • FarstryderFarstryder Member UncommonPosts: 69

Thank you for finally publishing a great article of truth. I'm sick of hearing every new player talk  bash and claim about some system some new hit made. Please write more articles like these maybe some people will listen. I suggest the new article dismiss the fallacy that WoW made all mmo's please.

Farstryder,

• zefiaionzefiaion Member Posts: 1

He also seemed to miss Aion's implementation of the AI faction (in this case, the Balaur) acting as an antongist that players would fight against (back in 2008/2009). What Aion added into the mix was mass castle siege events between not only the AI and players, but also splitting that war into an event with three participating factions (The Elyos, Asmodians, and Balaur).

I would think Aion deserves some credit for predating many of these games in implementing mass player vs AI events and making this a cornerstone of their game within the Abyss (contested area).

• victorbjrvictorbjr Member UncommonPosts: 212
    Oh man... This is some interesting MMO history here. Thanks for sharing! :D

A writer and gamer from the Philippines. Loves his mom dearly. :)

Can also be found on http://www.gamesandgeekery.com

• GibocracyGibocracy Member UncommonPosts: 17
    Rift did it well and in my opinnion, they did it best.  Im not sure how its doing now but when i played it was awesome it forced you to work together.  I normally play Solo and ocasionally group in raids but in this game i found myself soloing less.  
  • TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435
    Looking forward to this game so so SO very much!

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Interesting history.  The outpost and fortress battles against the Bane, in Tabula Rasa have always been one of my favorite aspects of the game.  I'm hoping thet eventually, that the Chosen war in FireFall will be developed further.
    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    Dynamic events loking good. I am thinking that XIV reborn might be the best fantasy MMORPG to land soon. 
  • JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519
    Seems they learned from WoW indeed, copying every good game feature known to man. The question is can they expand upon them?
  • Aela_DelphiAela_Delphi Member Posts: 5

Hey folks, Ryahl is actually sick...so I'll do my best to address some of what is here:  

Thachsanh & drivendawn -  Ry mentioned he saw this, and yes, he did miss those.   As with zefiaion 's comment about Aion, Ryahl often misses some of the expansion content; however he does try and do what he can to cover his knowledge on the topic and this is far from an exhaustive list of all MMO dynamic content.  

Vembumees - This is actually not a Funcom MMO, it is Square Enix's relaunch.  However, when you look back at MMO innovation Funcom has been on the leading edge in many regards.  

Epic1oots -  Relevant username?  ;)  That said, it is true that one must be careful balancing dynamic events.  Too good of loot makes Raid content too easy, while too little makes them useless.  It looks like Square Enix is looking at ways to address this issue -- however this can not be directly addressed due to NDA -- so keep an eye on this point for future information!

JimmyYO - I am not sure I follow you on this one.  The majority of the point on this article is Dynamic Events, something that isn't really a selling point for WoW.  Additionally, your statement about "copying every good game feature..." is definitely a true statement about WoW.  They were actually not overly progressive with their feature list.. they just did everything well and made it very accessible.  They are actually the direct opposite of Funcom in this article.

Anari Delphi -- Co-owner and author of EorzeaReborn.com
    Check out Ry's MMORPG.com FFXIV Column -- EorzeaReborn
    Follow Ry and I on Twitter: @EorzeaReborn

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    Originally posted by rojo6934

Dynamic events need to become a standard in mmo development. I know GW2 set it a standard for me. It will be hard for me to engage a new mmo that only offers generic questing as the main route of character / story progression. Hopefully the more people implement it the more fresh ideas will come to both improve the way dynamic events are used these days and how can they evolve into even more branching (and with more consequences) and in-depth content.

I hope the FATE take on dynamic events work well in FF14.

Me + FF14 beta = happy panda. Gimmie now!

Dynamic events are a must.  Even in the old school title, "Asheron's Call," the monthly events were intoxicating.  Just pure fun.

• ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586

"In the recent Video Producer’s Letter embedded above..."

Video is embedded below...does anyone actually give their work a final read before hitting the publish button?

• duuude007duuude007 Member Posts: 112

I'm kind of surprised Campaign and Beseiged dynamic events from FFXI aren't on here.

Or even the Active Time Event side quests from the offline FFIX, lol.

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352
    • On-demand, summoned boss encounters?  Final Fantasy XI (2003).
    • Dynamic Events?  Final Fantasy XI (2006)

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• MyownGodMyownGod Member UncommonPosts: 205
    Played the beta = Getting the collector edition, thats how much I loved it.
  • TaishiFoxTaishiFox Member RarePosts: 999
    Originally posted by NoizMchn

I think you certainly have your companies mixed up.  For starters, FunCom created games such as Age of Connan and The Secret World, not Final Fantasy.  Also, although AoC wasn't exactly the most playable game for some people at launch, FunCom have always been successful and have high respect especially these days with AoC being more playable and free along with their more successful title The Secret World, which is also free to play now.  As for Square Enix, who is the creator of Final Fantasy, they've never had a failed launch, FFXIV was the only failure they had as an MMO or a game in general.. well, mostly.  And if you want my personal opinion FFXIV wasn't really a failure, its just some people didn't like how it was cus they want too much of the themepark multi-quest and easy to solo gameplay, though you see alot of people saying they're getting bored of it, how ironic.  So.. yeah, anyway, if you're going make a statement like that at least get some facts straight unless of course you really are trolling which to me is an epic fail right there cus frankly your statement doesn't even come close to the truth about either of the companies, its not even funny.

imageimage

• RolanStormRolanStorm Member UncommonPosts: 198
    Oh, thank you. I had so much fun reading this article. And learned a bit. So much innovation in AO? Damn, I should have played it back then and not listen to naysayers.
  • OnslaughtPrimeOnslaughtPrime Member Posts: 1
    First off, You get invited to the beta for being a Legacy member. And the only way you could get that is if you played the game BEFORE the cut off date last June of 2012. Second the the F.A.T.E. system they have implemented is working quite well, though they can (and i hope) they add random drops that everyone that had a hand in the fight gets. All in all i think SE is doing a good job revamping the game and i cant wait for the release. 
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by OnslaughtPrime
    First off, You get invited to the beta for being a Legacy member. And the only way you could get that is if you played the game BEFORE the cut off date last June of 2012. Second the the F.A.T.E. system they have implemented is working quite well, though they can (and i hope) they add random drops that everyone that had a hand in the fight gets. All in all i think SE is doing a good job revamping the game and i cant wait for the release. 

not only legacy members got invited to beta

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg