Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Viking > TDD (Update #8)

2»

Comments

• naezgulnaezgul Member Posts: 374
    Originally posted by Corinthian-X
    Originally posted by naezgul
    Originally posted by BowbowDAoC

Its nice, although i would like it better if there was "less"...i'm of a "sober" approach, especially when its comes to vikings...less colors, more dirty would be better, to my taste anyways.

i never like flashy characters.

But its nothing that cannot be arranged with some good old dyes :)

Exactly what I felt about the garb.

comparing the two races so far I like the TTD except lose the facentlers.

its just the Viking look is too far out of nnorms at too many decorative layers 

I think the piece of concept art that has the 3 different viking figures is pretty awesome. Would love to see those modeled in 3d.

What we all have to remember is this is just an early prototype. Its one rendering out of probably dozens of concepts, so I wouldn't get to bent out of shape just yet.

That stuff looks like a cross between American Indian & asian(Chinese/Japanese)

• Corinthian-XCorinthian-X Member Posts: 86

I don't see it.

• Father_JackFather_Jack Member Posts: 81

Totally that is what I thought too, definitely not Viking. An awesome design and stunning, just not very viking.

• WolvanWolvan Member Posts: 49
    Originally posted by Tumblebutz
    What I don't like about it is that it makes me want to play a viking... and I don't want to want to play a viking!

Come to the Cold Frozen North Emercy...we are strong their!

• pokrakpokrak Member UncommonPosts: 111
    Super! I love it. Show me more! 
  • davurdavur Member Posts: 4

I honestly like the general concept, especially the drawings. But I have problems with the shield on the picture of the 3d model.

I would love to see them remove the random bone spikes from the small shield thingie or at least place the shield the back. It makes no sense to have a shield on the thigh that has up-going spikes, which can rip your arm to pieces, when using a halberd; I really hope that the huge halberd is a two-hander…

• KarraptathidKarraptathid Member Posts: 78
    Originally posted by drakon3
    All in all I like it.  But I'm a bit worried about the use of huge bone spikes on the shoulder pads of some of the concepts.  That's almost getting into WoW territory and they are extremely silly in "reality".

I just got through mentioning the teeth/bone spikes issue in another thread.  I suggested that MJ take his artist to a local  http://www.markland.org/ event to see why it would be a bad idea.  Especially if one of them lent their gear to MJ so he can get some first hand experience which would be great youtube footage. 

Midranki - To us, Thidranki Faste is not just some center keep, it's our field Guild Hall.
    Camelot Unchained's Kickstarter - Warrior Forever

• ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182
    The graphics/art styles are much better than I thought. When DAOC released, the graphics was not the selling point, it was the RvR etc :)
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Her chest piece looks hungry.
  • ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    Originally posted by redcapp

You hibbies are doomed.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained/posts[/img]

I'm all for simple.  I get the concept of folks want a fantasy mmorpg, but this has more of a Warhammer look to it (imho).  I'd be thrilled if they just followed the Tolkien model of norsemen i.e., Riders of Rohan, who have a very Russ River raiders look (for those who don't love history :) - Viking settled early Russian along the Russ River, fending off some pretty serious tribes, i.e., the Scythians, in the process).

Edit:  I also get that a computer artist is going to walk into a job interview and sit in front of Mr. Jacobs with a plethora of wildly dazzling fantasy art.  I get that - but we have been buried in 80 lb. shoulder pads with glowing lights in our mmorpgs for so long - that the "Keep It Simple Stupid" (KISS) rule really applies here to the innocense and fresh feel of what I would see CU as were I in authority :)

In this case, less is definitely more.

• morbuskabismorbuskabis Member Posts: 290

For my taste it has a bit too much of a anime style to it. I woulden't mind the tree hugers to look a bit like this, but Vikings... no, thats not a Viking style to me. I like them more beefy with big beards. Bit more savage.

Its a bit too close to the blood elfs from WoW..

image -Massive-Industries- Heavy Duty

• SBE1SBE1 Member UncommonPosts: 340

Yes, when I really think about vikings, I must admit feathers don't really seem to come to mind.  I know we want to try to think outside-the-box on vikings, I get it, but feathers seem a bit out of place.   

The feathers seem to be placed around the exit points for flesh, so it assumes some kind of comfort level for the wearer.  Vikings and comfort don't mix.   Fur/pelts around the edges might be better suited.    Perhaps as the level of the armor improves, the type of animal fur/pelt changes.   Perhaps at the highest end of armor, you have a bear pelt or something, and a mid-tier armor would be a wolf pelt, and a low-teir armor would be a rabbit pelt or something.

The good thing about pelts versus feathers is that if you want to dye the pelt to change its color, that seems realistic.  You can't really "dye" feathers without destroying them.

• MaricMaric Member UncommonPosts: 98

I like the female models and art shown, though maybe slightly more colorful than I would prefer.  

The male models look more like elves than Vikings.  Somewhat effiminate and in some aspects animeish which I don't like at all.  

There are fans on both sides.  I am confident CSE will listen to feeedback and a happy medium can be agrred upon and/or we get to choose from a more iconic/traditional looking Viking to the more refined looking models.

• ArcherBullseyeArcherBullseye Member Posts: 77
    My wife loves that they are actually wearing real clothes! good job CSU, she might even play it with me in a few years..

Anyone know if there will be any updates over the weekend? MJ stated to have a good weekend or seen you next week or something to that affect at the end of the last video.