Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kickstarter / CU no funding (combined) topic

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Keep buying the big company reskinned horse crap they can't shovel out fast enough to feed the masses. Keep purchaseing from that cash shop to get the new shiney.
  • meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344
    Originally posted by Dren_Utogi

Wooah yay players can fund the game they've always wanted.. or simply fund more disappointment from sales men that have a good sales pitch ?

THeir's a reason why something doe off, it is cause they suck and people didn't want to play the games. I've been looking over the kickstarter games list and I got to say that this is the end of the road for almost every genre on the pc platform. The pc platform was always about the future of the entire gaming genre with consoles playing catch. That is how it should always be, with the technologies we can put into gaming machines, a pc gamer should never be last to get the best.

But here we are, last at getting the best, and in out angst of wanted something, kickstarter comes along and all of a sudden it breathes life into games that we really don't need, want or even going to play even if they are released. I was super excited for kickstarter, but as time goes on the inevitable will happen :

Time line is missed for release

Game Never releases and developers skips town

The game is utter garbage cause jonny boy in his garage just wasn't up to the task

A big Publisher snatches the title that the community was told was going to be indie

big publishers funnel through kickstarter double dipping  by getting players to fund a development cycle, then selling the title back to then for 59.99.

I refuse to put money down on words, visions, theories or a cool graphic image. I don't care if you are lord British, Brad Mcquaid or Steven Spielberg. if the developer is serious about a game, he will find the proper funding for it, instead of the smoke and mirrors os kickstarter. With that said, almost every pc kickstarter program is for technology that is 4 to 5 years behind consoles. Simply unacceptable.

/off soap box

Kickstarter is the new shiny. Once people get over the newness of it, they will see the model for what it is: a potiential hotbed of scams and patent disputes. I forsee a lot of projects going down after release becuase the amatuers running them don't perform their due diligence and get themselves sued. You won't get your money back at that point, you can be sure of that.

Originally posted by topographic

Wooah yay players can fund the game they've always wanted.. or simply fund more disappointment from sales men that have a good sales pitch ?

THeir's a reason why something doe off, it is cause they suck and people didn't want to play the games. I've been looking over the kickstarter games list and I got to say that this is the end of the road for almost every genre on the pc platform. The pc platform was always about the future of the entire gaming genre with consoles playing catch. That is how it should always be, with the technologies we can put into gaming machines, a pc gamer should never be last to get the best.

But here we are, last at getting the best, and in out angst of wanted something, kickstarter comes along and all of a sudden it breathes life into games that we really don't need, want or even going to play even if they are released. I was super excited for kickstarter, but as time goes on the inevitable will happen :

The game is utter garbage cause jonny boy in his garage just wasn't up to the task

A big Publisher snatches the title that the community was told was going to be indie

big publishers funnel through kickstarter double dipping  by getting players to fund a development cycle, then selling the title back to then for 59.99.

I refuse to put money down on words, visions, theories or a cool graphic image. I don't care if you are lord British, Brad Mcquaid or Steven Spielberg. if the developer is serious about a game, he will find the proper funding for it, instead of the smoke and mirrors os kickstarter. With that said, almost every pc kickstarter program is for technology that is 4 to 5 years behind consoles. Simply unacceptable.

/off soap box

Kickstarter is the new shiny. Once people get over the newness of it, they will see the model for what it is: a potiential hotbed of scams and patent disputes. I forsee a lot of projects going down after release becuase the amatuers running them don't perform their due diligence and get themselves sued. You won't get your money back at that point, you can be sure of that.

Yeah because guys in suits and lawyers should be telling us how and what games should be.

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344
    Originally posted by Fearum

/off soap box

Yeah because guys in suits and lawyers should be telling us how and what games should be.

It is what it is. Stop living in the land of "should be". Games are big business now. Get used to it. You step on some corporation's patent and you'll be hard-pressed to even see the ashes your product as they float away on the wind.

/off soap box

It is what it is. Stop living in the land of "should be". Games are big business now. Get used to it. You step on some corporation's patent and you'll be hard-pressed to even see the ashes your product as they float away on the wind.

No thanks, I won't keep purchasing subpar crap and eating it with a smile for more from the cash shop. Not sure we are talking about the same things here though.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

/off soap box

I haven't given them any money, but I doubt hardly (had anyone alone, but their is always that guy) anyone thinks they will get money back, if it doesn't work out.  People flush money all the time, they might as well do it to something that speaks to them, or they are passionate about, and if it works out, all the better....If people approach these things with that mindset, then all is well.

The average donation is probably in the $5 to $30 range for most people, and if kickstarter shows itself to be a scammer paradise, it won't ruin anyones lives and it will go away and screw those that were honest and delivered.

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    One need only take a cursory glance at a list of highest funded PC games to know the OP is pure nonsense.
  • achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726

/off soap box

Better the devil you know than the devil you don't know.

Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

But here we are, last at getting the best, and in our angst of wanted something, kickstarter comes along and all of a sudden it breathes life into games that we really don't need, want or even going to play even if they are released. I was super excited for kickstarter, but as time goes on the inevitable will happen :

/off soap box

While I am not a fan of Kickstarter, I am not one to stop game players to pay whatever and whomever they desire to.

First off, What do you mean when you say "best?" The "best" what? The best graphics that only 3-5% of PC users can run? The best stories in a game? The best combat mechanics? The best weapon design? What do you mean by "best?"

The big difference I see between Kickstarter and Producers is that Kickstarter backers are silent partners. No voice, what-so-ever. Sure, they can post their desires to whomever they gave their money to, but when all is said and done, that Kickstarter project doesn't have to heed their words or ideas. Producers have the ability to pull the plug or redirect whenever they are displeased with any direction the game takes.

I like looking at all the Camelot Unchained topics that are polls and "Do you want this feature?" Like they have any say what-so-ever in the development of the game. Remind backers of this and they kind of get understandably defensive.

It is a good vehicle for keeping the dreams alive of the disenchanted. It is still too early to see how this will pan out in the end.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
  • wordizwordiz Member Posts: 464

Kickstarter is good for the industry. It shows them that if they don't make the games we want, we'll fund them ourselves.

You're wrong on so many levels.

The suits are the ones that rush out unfinished games or pull the plugs on potentially great projects. They're the reason nobody can get the team and budget, and more importantly, TIME to develop quality MMOs anymore. They're also the guys that fire studios full of designers and programmers when a game doesn't make the profit they want, thus killing any chance of further development and screwing you out of any money or time you spent.

The further we keep the corporate world out of artform the better products we'll see...games that are actually worth what we pay for them again hopefully.

Honestly though, regardless of anything that goes on in Kickstarter, the major developers and distributors will keep on just as usual until they see a loss of profit. You'll still see the games you're used to seeing, there will just be more choices in the market, and a lot more opportunities for independent companies and their employees. 

You hate jobs? You hate games? No? Then what's your problem? Nobody is putting a gun to any of the pledgers heads.

• taziartaziar Member Posts: 52

Kickstarter offers people to vote for something they want to see made.  Is there risk?  Yes, but not much more than what the publishers push for.  

Publishers are putting out money-grabbing crap.  Games are being heavily pushed for pre-orders by giving exclusive in-game items and such.  So while you are pretty much guaranteed a game, you are buying it before anyone sees it.  So you might get a really crappy game. (which will still somehow get 10 ratings)  To me, a bad game is not worth any more than no game.  

So to me, If I kickstart a handful of games and only a couple suceed, I still come out way ahead of the pre-order-always-on-dlc-abused-microtransaction-laden-crap the publishers are offering.  

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Keep buying the big company reskinned horse crap they can't shovel out fast enough to feed the masses. Keep purchaseing from that cash shop to get the new shiney.

Will do, because I like the masses prefer good games with quality production quality and high value over games that couldn't get backed from real investors.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• blutigfaustblutigfaust Member UncommonPosts: 129
    Originally posted by redcapp
    One need only take a cursory glance at a list of highest funded PC games to know the OP is pure nonsense.

LOL, with the big camelot unchained kickstarter logo/link as your signature...guess you're not biased   O.O

Current games playing: MechWarrior Online
    Games being watched:  Project Genom
    Favorite played games: SWG, RomaVictor, and Xsyon

• PanthienPanthien Member UncommonPosts: 559
    Originally posted by wordiz

Kickstarter is good for the industry. It shows them that if they don't make the games we want, we'll fund them ourselves.

You're wrong on so many levels.

The suits are the ones that rush out unfinished games or pull the plugs on potentially great projects. They're the reason nobody can get the team and budget, and more importantly, TIME to develop quality MMOs anymore. They're also the guys that fire studios full of designers and programmers when a game doesn't make the profit they want, thus killing any chance of further development and screwing you out of any money or time you spent.

The further we keep the corporate world out of artform the better products we'll see...games that are actually worth what we pay for them again hopefully.

Honestly though, regardless of anything that goes on in Kickstarter, the major developers and distributors will keep on just as usual until they see a loss of profit. You'll still see the games you're used to seeing, there will just be more choices in the market, and a lot more opportunities for independent companies and their employees. 

You hate jobs? You hate games? No? Then what's your problem? Nobody is putting a gun to any of the pledgers heads.

Actually.. kickstarter doesnt keep the coperate suits out at all.. once they see how much money players are willing to invest in "just an idea" they'll move into that. Its fairly easy to use one of their many sub-companies or even create a new one to give the illution of being a small indi-cooperation.

Surely the irony didnt escape you.. you/we dont want to keep putting money in unfinished products, but are now people are putting money into an idea instead, into an unfishished creation at best, and hope it will turn out into the gem they are hoping for.

I dont think kickstarter is a bad thing, in some ways its even a good thing, because it does show we, the players ARE willing to invest into innovation and change. But in the end the published game will be the thing that really matters, how ..good or successfull they will be. That and both unfurtunately and fortunately the shine will fade and people will be far less intested in kickstarters in the future.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    I like to let others fund the kickstarters while i sit and wait for an actual product.
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Like which?  I'm genuinely curious.  Also, how many of the top games on the market have been KS games?   I'm not sure there's anything inherently wrong with Kickstarter, but I read that the funding success rate is only about 30%.  What happens to all the money that's donated?  They have to give it back right?

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    Originally posted by Eir_S

Like which?  I'm genuinely curious.  Also, how many of the top games on the market have been KS games?   I'm not sure there's anything inherently wrong with Kickstarter, but I read that the funding success rate is only about 30%.  What happens to all the money that's donated?  They have to give it back right?

AFAIK: you don't actually pay a dime untill the KS is successfull.

• taziartaziar Member Posts: 52
    Correct.  If the entire KickStarter $ goal is not achieved, the project doesn't get any of the money.  Backers are only charged when a project is successful.  
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Awesome, thanks for the info.
  • MidBossMidBoss Member Posts: 93

that's your opinion. Age of Conan, Lord of THe rings, and my top 5 list of free mmos have been tried and tested for years with millions of players coming abd going, all uyou have is a cup jingling looking for lose change from jaded and burn out mmorpg players. Prove me Wrong, that is my point of the thread.

So you wan't somone to show you something that doesn't exist because the notion that you could even fund something like that through a kickstarter isn't even a year old?

Nothing to see here people, move along.