Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is EA the worst company in America?

IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509

"EA responds to what could very well be their second ‘Worst Company in America’ award in a row."

"EA squares off against Ticketmaster. The company would be the first in the contest’s history to win the award twice. Both companies have somehow beat out Carnival" LMAO so true.

We all know that EA suckes at MMO gaming. Just did not realize how bad they sucked of other style of game play.

What do you guys think is EA the worst company in America?

Edit for Title corection.

It is amazing in how someone can word things. I do appoligize to anyone and or to EA who may feel that I was attacking EA in a nagative way. Looking back I did not mean to indirctly imply that EA is the worst company in America. I simply just wanted to get a honest opinion from posters of this comunity in if they agree or disagree if EA should win the contest of being "The Worst company in America" award.

So I changed the title of this thread to "Is EA the worst company in America?" This of course is my attention from the start to pose this question from post one. After all my poll did convay that.

P.S. I got the question from EA Chief Operating Officer, Peter Moore, Who asked “Are we really the “Worst Company in America?” As quoted from the link above.

Comments

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Probably not, there are companies that do far more unethical things and to the detriment of the general public, it is just the average person doesn't see it. Monsanto, Exxon, a little research will yield others.... But also, ask that question on a gaming site, and what do you expect people to say?
  • TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

EA is the worst company in the world when fun internet time is involved.  But in reality...come on, they aren't that bad.

I think EA's CEO put it best:

“This is the same poll that last year judged us as worse than companies responsible for the biggest oil spill in history, the mortgage crisis, and bank bailouts that cost millions of taxpayer dollars,” Moore notes. “The complaints against us last year were our support of SOPA (not true), and that they didn’t like the ending to Mass Effect 3.”

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509
    Originally posted by Burntvet
    Probably not, there are companies that do far more unethical things and to the detriment of the general public, it is just the average person doesn't see it. Monsanto, Exxon, a little research will yield others.... But also, ask that question on a gaming site, and what do you expect people to say?

Im not sure were else I would ask the question. After all  EA is a gaming company.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by Isturi

Im not sure were else I would ask the question. After all  EA is a gaming company.

You ask gamers what the worst company is, and they'll tell you the worst gaming company. It might be the worst game development/publishing company in the country (and probably is), but compared to some of the other ones out there, EA is small potatoes on the "bad company" scale. (Poke around on Monsanto if you want to find some REALLY underhanded shit.)
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    No, but by far one of the worst out there. If your looking at the entertainment industry your looking at the worst though.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347

Suppose that the question is "Who is the worst gaming company in America?"  Is there any real doubt about who would win?  Is there any real doubt as to whether it would be a landslide?

Okay, so let's change the question to "Who is the worst energy company in America?"  Now it's not so obvious who will win, is it?  People who hate ExxonMobil are likely to hate all energy companies that deal with fossil fuels.  There isn't one that you can point to and say, that particular company is terrible, but most of the rest of the industry is fine.

It's the same if we asked "Who is the worst financial company in America?"  Again, it's not obvious who would win, nor whether it would be in a landslide.  While many banks have drawn the ire of large numbers of people, few have managed to become hated by large numbers of people who have no problem with most of the financial industry.

Within the gaming industry, however, EA is uniquely bad.  When some big gaming company does something outrageous and scandalous, EA seems to be the culprit more often than not.

• thecapitainethecapitaine Member UncommonPosts: 408
    Originally posted by TheHavok

EA is the worst company in the world when fun internet time is involved.  But in reality...come on, they aren't that bad.

I think EA's CEO put it best:

“This is the same poll that last year judged us as worse than companies responsible for the biggest oil spill in history, the mortgage crisis, and bank bailouts that cost millions of taxpayer dollars,” Moore notes. “The complaints against us last year were our support of SOPA (not true), and that they didn’t like the ending to Mass Effect 3.”

Interestingly enough, it's this exact kind of ho-hum attitude when it comes to perception that makes EA so bad in many people's eyes.  Certainly other companies are run worse and have done worse but you'd be hard-pressed to find any that operate so poorly with such smug self-satisfaction.  That they're out of touch with the gaming public should be obvious given so many failures recently and the way they shrug off what should be an eye-opening, direction-changing referendum on their company's virtue.

• wordizwordiz Member Posts: 464
    If you think EA is a worse company that Halliburton or Monsanto, or JP Morgan or Merrill Lynch...well, you're priorities are pretty jacked. I wouldn't even say they're the worst company in the entertainment or media industries. I would say they are the worst company in gaming...without a doubt.
  • RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136
    Originally posted by Quizzical

Suppose that the question is "Who is the worst gaming company in America?"  Is there any real doubt about who would win?  Is there any real doubt as to whether it would be a landslide?

Okay, so let's change the question to "Who is the worst energy company in America?"  Now it's not so obvious who will win, is it?  People who hate ExxonMobil are likely to hate all energy companies that deal with fossil fuels.  There isn't one that you can point to and say, that particular company is terrible, but most of the rest of the industry is fine.

It's the same if we asked "Who is the worst financial company in America?"  Again, it's not obvious who would win, nor whether it would be in a landslide.  While many banks have drawn the ire of large numbers of people, few have managed to become hated by large numbers of people who have no problem with most of the financial industry.

Within the gaming industry, however, EA is uniquely bad.  When some big gaming company does something outrageous and scandalous, EA seems to be the culprit more often than not.

I like your premise here Quiz, I'd only add that because we are gamers and spend so much time dealing with gaming companies its a clear victory for EA. I'd wager that if you put forth the same premise above to anyone who is not a gamer, the same conditions as the financial company and energy company are in. With my experience in the telecom industry I could answer which company is considered the worst in that industry, it seems obvious to me , but not so to people not in that industry.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    While I do think EA is the worst video game company in the world.They are not even close to the worst company in America.
  • AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

I continue to enjoy many EA games, and consider the Mass Effect series to be one of my alltime favorite RPGs.

EA's response seems largely justified and accurate in this case, even admitting their own mistakes (in spite of Sim City having a smoother launch than Diablo 3 had.)  They may twist the truth a bit, as the article rigthly points out, but the gist of what they're saying is true.

It's a shitty position to be in, since the gaming public (particularly the harshest hardcore-gamer critics) seems completely disinterested in the facts, and only interested in having a Big Company Scapegoat to hate.

For example, Diablo 3's launch for me was identically bad, if not worse, than Sim City's launch, and yet gamers are rabidly against EA and generally supportive of Blizzard (This tiny forum's abberative Blizzard-hate notwithstanding.)

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I have an easy rank system for just gaming companies.

Worst=Hasbro....this is not even clsoe,they are miles ahead of the pack.

EA=second worst

NCSOFT=3rd worst

Frogster=4th worst

I cannot even think of a 5th worst,it shows how far above the pack these four are.

None of these operations come close to other's outside of the gaming industry.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722

No, definitely not.  But they're clearly one of the worst with a moderate level of visibility to the public. 

The worst corporations are the ones that most people barely know exist, or what their functions are, or just how influential they become.

Although, in the limited scope of the gaming industry, EA is probably at least tied for the worst. 

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Um.. sure, if you have blinders on, then EA is the worst company in America.  But if you look beyond games, not really.  Very close perhaps, but there are a few that nudge them out.
  • VolenibbletsVolenibblets Member UncommonPosts: 246
    He says during one of the worst recessions in recent history chiefly caused by the unethical activities of innumerable financial companies. It would be laughable to even put EA on the list in this climate.
  • Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    In America? No. I'm neither that shallow nor ignorant.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    for me they are the worst because they have turned battlefield into Cod......  their mmos suck but it was battlefield that i really loved and they have totally ruined it.
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Axehilt

It's a shitty position to be in, since the gaming public (particularly the harshest hardcore-gamer critics) seems completely disinterested in the facts, and only interested in having a Big Company Scapegoat to hate.

Here's some facts. A pretty impressive body count imo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_acquisitions_by_Electronic_Arts

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

Monsato?

Bank of America?

read a newspaper maybe?

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Quizzical

From forbes.  http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2013/03/21/ea-looking-for-a-repeat-in-the-consumerists-worst-company-in-america-bracket/

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    i ticked yes..but in retrospect i am sure there are worse.over the yrs they have made some great games..i dont think its the games that are bad.its the support and their attitude once they have sold the games that comes into question.take simcity for instance.the promise of a refund if your not happy.they led with that one.they need t stop with the bullshit and start being honest with their customers instead of lying to them.
  • JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519
    EA makes it sound like they're content with being the worst vidoe game company as opposed to the worst company in general.
  • Teh_AxiTeh_Axi Member UncommonPosts: 380

Amazing how people will defend a company like EA on the grounds "there's somebody worse".

How about I come and kick you in the nuts, I mean some other guys are murderers so I'm not a big deal right?

• ChthonChthon Member Posts: 7
    Monsanto or your random pick of any large bank.  EA isn't even in the same weight class, no matter how greedy their income model is.
  • IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

I like it how most of the comments explain a No, but Yes is ahead atm.

Thinking be damned! You got me upset over Mass Effect 3 ending ahhh!! And you got me again with Sim City, but I just keep buying your products and saying you suck image