Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: The 12 Least Popular Game Innovations of All Time

Comments

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022
    Is this a late april fools joke if so its a bit late and lame
  • BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    I thought this was great, I love it when you guys are funny and let loose a bit instead of like all these weenies that just read this complained, put some more tape on thier glasses and yelled upstairs for mom to make some meatloaf.
  • bbbb42bbbb42 Member UncommonPosts: 297
    >.> I think someone was drunk

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871
    When i was a young acid blob i used to like eating armors and rings,

Let's internet

• samooryesordsamooryesord Member UncommonPosts: 98

I like how some games don't have specific classes. I'm SOOOO sick of the standard warrior, ranger, mage, rogue. Or whatever.. I love games that just have your character pick up a weapon and unlock skills for that weapon. Pick up a sword, now you're a sworsman and can become a crazy dual wielding sword lunatic or a defender of the weak! Pick up a staff and you can be a pyromaniac shooting fireballs everywhere burning everyones houses down.. or a healer, keeping the tide of the battle in your party's favor.

I just really hope more games pick up this style and get rid of the generic class choosing at character selection. I want my character to be anything and everything.. but with a limit of course.   Of course.. =

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Not sure if you tried too hard, or not hard enough.

But I ended up making a few snicker and snorts while shaking my head or rolling my eyes.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• lostscout5lostscout5 Member Posts: 57
    I thought that was funny. But then I'm old enough to understand 8 and 9. And old enough to have played 1st addition D + D  {#'s 3 + 4}. 
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by ForumPvP

I laughed at this.  Most of the other comments in here are just rude.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Randayn
    It doesn't need to be dumbed down.....it's just really bad humor....I didnt laugh once.   I do give the writer credit for being creative...just didnt find it humorous.  I think it was because I was let down by the content not exactly matching the title.

Same here. I was expecting, well... the 12 least popular game innovations.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by ForumPvP

Jwilson, is that you? ;)

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

While I did chuckle at some parts. I have to agree this article was a little, out there. Just seemed to try to hard maybe?

Though I would never be as mean as some of the previous comments were.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by birdycephon
    WTF did I just read?

ROFLMAO.  That is EXACTLY what i was thinking about 3/4 of the way through the article.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by birdycephon
    WTF did I just read?

Another blog writer discovering (too late) that writing humor is much harder than they imagined.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• ROFLsaurusROFLsaurus Member UncommonPosts: 19
    I hate to leave negative feedback but this was awful. If this was an April fools joke you're 4 days late and if not you have no sources for the games that made these "Innovations" (bad journalism 101) and I certainly can't think of any for "Edible Armor" as an example. I don't know what games your playing but maybe you should join the rest of the world of gamers in the land of not suck. Oh and saying attacks are a one of the worst innovations is absurd, I know if The Devil's Advocate had made some nonsensical non-joke about it, that it would have at least been funny but since I have trouble finding the humor in anything you wrote it just comes across as if you're actually being serious, which sadly makes you look like a twat. Now I'm no stranger to having my account temporarily banned on this site so I'll end with this, I truly hope your writing improves, so whenever mocking a specific mechanic from some obscure game you played as some form of gamer-hipster, remember to reference it by name so the rest of us know what the fuck you're talking about.

Have a nice Day.

imageI am the ROFLsaurus I go RAWR!!!image

• ROFLsaurusROFLsaurus Member UncommonPosts: 19
    When I started writing my post there where no comments. I'm glad I wasn't the only one the thought the same thing.

imageI am the ROFLsaurus I go RAWR!!!image

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by C.L.O.U.D
    I was beginning to think I was just too dumb to understand what this article meant. I'm glad I looked at the comments above to realize I wasn't alone in this confusion.

Maybe it's one of those things you need to smoke pot to understand?

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by Randayn
    It doesn't need to be dumbed down.....it's just really bad humor....I didnt laugh once.   I do give the writer credit for being creative...just didnt find it humorous.  I think it was because I was let down by the content not exactly matching the title.

Same here. I was expecting, well... the 12 least popular game innovations.

We could make our own list:

1:   City of Heroes:   Mentoring.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• HarafnirHarafnir Member UncommonPosts: 1,350
    Wait wait... I just remembered the last part of her, use the term loosely, "article" So the last article she wrote, she stole from another author and did not give him credit? And now she write this? I can only guess, by herself... NICE choice of writers! Same quality as your moderators.

"This is not a game to be tossed aside lightly.
    It should be thrown with great force"

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Some things seem really great when your drunk!

unfortunately i don't have enough alcohol to decypher it ;D

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    Clever?  Nah.  Just boring.
  • Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

The writer of the article possesses a “unique” sense of humor that most game players will not relate too unless Apple happens to be their platform of choice. It could be worse. I was actually expecting a serious article...  So, I guess the joke really is on me.

• rejadrejad Member Posts: 346
    And I was actually interested in the headline.  I guess I'm the a-hole here, eh?
  • jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    cant tell if serious or trolling with this article...

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    I really have no idea what I just read. I also have no idea whether the blame lies with the author for failing to grasp the nuances of the English language and/or western-world customs, or the editor for failing to hit "delete".

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    the only thing that made any sense was the rather petty stab at EA at the end.. But that horse is beyonf glue by now and have moved in to atom-splitting territory by now.  by now.

This have been a good conversation