Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why the hype

Beerman27Beerman27 Member Posts: 23

All i can see is this game has some art and a kickstarter and some whispers of ideas with a heap of added assumption?

am i missing something here? i cant see why this idea of a mmo is so hyped up whats the development time? from the look of the website its 4 years away.

Comments

• BowbowDAoCBowbowDAoC Member UncommonPosts: 472

Bowbow (kob hunter) Infecto (kob cave shammy) and Thurka (troll warrior) on Merlin/Midgard DAoC
    Thurka on WAR

• Beerman27Beerman27 Member Posts: 23
    Originally posted by BowbowDAoC

http://camelotunchained.com

Yep it sure does have a website.

• MasahikoKobeMasahikoKobe Member Posts: 51

Its hyped because the ideas behind it remind people of  Dark age of Camelot. Which many find to be one of the best  large scale pvp games that was created. Many people have been looking for that game for a long time.

As for the dev cycle it looks like its about 2-3 years based on the info on the kickstarter.

Side note, we shouldnt treat everyone like they are trolling even if they are. Overall, it is usally easier to give people the info that you feel the game is hyped for. Otherwise the community just looks bitter and unwelcomming. I understand that trolls exsist, but its far more energy to be snarky than it is to tell people why you feel the game deserves the hype.

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Why are you here? Might be because this is a mmorpg site and people want the game to be made, that seems hard for some people to understand.
    Originally posted by Raagnarz
    [mod edit]

Im not trolling at all i love the idea of the game will likely play it when it comes out but at the moment there is nothing to see no gameplay footage, not even some screen shots that i can see, yet the forum posts are full of posts about a game that looks to be just starting development i dont understand the hype ive never seen so much hype for a game thats years away.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by Beerman27

All i can see is this game has some art and a kickstarter and some whispers of ideas with a heap of added assumption?

don't forget the forum banners, they got forum banners!

Just like Elite Dangerous had, but Elite showed actual GAMEPLAY

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

Originally posted by MasahikoKobe

Its hyped because the ideas behind it remind people of  Dark age of Camelot. Which many find to be one of the best  large scale pvp games that was created. Many people have been looking for that game for a long time.

As for the dev cycle it looks like its about 2-3 years based on the info on the kickstarter.

Side note, we shouldnt treat everyone like they are trolling even if they are. Overall, it is usally easier to give people the info that you feel the game is hyped for. Otherwise the community just looks bitter and unwelcomming. I understand that trolls exsist, but its far more energy to be snarky than it is to tell people why you feel the game deserves the hype.

Thanks for a non 12yo reply its good to see some actual human beings on MMORPG.

Originally posted by FromHell

don't forget the forum banners, they got forum banners!

Just like Elite Dangerous had, but Elite showed actual GAMEPLAY

LMAO sorry my bad.

• SebaliSebali Member UncommonPosts: 395

I dont get the hype either.

all we have seen is ideas and promises. 

they have a website that has nothing on it but them begging for cash and "principles"

c'mon.

they are at the most infantile stages of this game. they have ZERO hyet they are begging for cash

• BowbowDAoCBowbowDAoC Member UncommonPosts: 472
    Originally posted by Raagnarz
    Obvious troll asking the same question 1000 other people have half of them creating their own threads to do it.  Look around to the tons of other threads and you'll get answers from the fans and the haters.

Im not trolling at all i love the idea of the game will likely play it when it comes out but at the moment there is nothing to see no gameplay footage, not even some screen shots that i can see, yet the forum posts are full of posts about a game that looks to be just starting development i dont understand the hype ive never seen so much hype for a game thats years away.

Simple, games are more than screenshots, this game looks promising just according to their philosophy of what a mmorpg should be.

i suggest you read the forum, like you said it is full of posts, so you cannot expect us to to resume all that has been said in the past 2 months to give you an answer.

Bowbow (kob hunter) Infecto (kob cave shammy) and Thurka (troll warrior) on Merlin/Midgard DAoC
    Thurka on WAR

• bofadeezbofadeez Member Posts: 5

What grabs me: it's subscription based, they are very anti-cash shop, and they are not aiming for mass appeal. They're not trying to make the next blockbuster AAA WoW killer. I've been following their updates and foundational principles since the project was announced, and as an old-school MMO player, I really like their ideas.

• VervayneVervayne Member Posts: 18

Why the hype - because many of us who loved Dark Age of Camelot, who understand the thrill of real RvR, the warmth and competition of a close-knit community, and the rewarding feeling that comes from both triumph and failure in old-school MMO systems, are still searching for a new MMO home. 

Mark Jabobs has a better chance of delivering on that vision than any other game dev on the planet.  He understands fully why we loved DAoC, and he's seeking to create a game that glorifies those aspects that we loved so much.  He's taking chances that big publishers can't afford to take.  He's pandering to a group of niche players, and we who make up that niche fully get the potential of this game.

So it seems to me the hype is based around the legacy DAOC has left behind, that is a scary and tough act for Camelot Unchained to follow i wish them all the best but knowing the MMO crowd to well i do not envy them at all.
  • MasahikoKobeMasahikoKobe Member Posts: 51
    Originally posted by Sebali

they have a website that has nothing on it but them begging for cash and "principles"

c'mon.

they are at the most infantile stages of this game. they have ZERO hyet they are begging for cash

Thats the whole idea of kickstarter. You dont go in with a ready to ship product. You go in saying i have this idea and if you think its a good idea well give you X if you help to fund us.

• saitohxsaitohx Member UncommonPosts: 18

Subscription based MMO, are for the truly deserving game. 

I would gladly pay subscription fees on games such as Archage or Blade and Soul. Game has been tested proven by many others to be great.

Camelot Unchained, is riding on the old camelot mmo greatness. I dont like this... I feel like it wont be able to deliver what everyone wants or expect... which im sure is very HIGH.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Vervayne

Why the hype - because many of us who loved Dark Age of Camelot, who understand the thrill of real RvR, the warmth and competition of a close-knit community, and the rewarding feeling that comes from both triumph and failure in old-school MMO systems, are still searching for a new MMO home. 

Mark Jabobs has a better chance of delivering on that vision than any other game dev on the planet.  He understands fully why we loved DAoC, and he's seeking to create a game that glorifies those aspects that we loved so much.  He's taking chances that big publishers can't afford to take.  He's pandering to a group of niche players, and we who make up that niche fully get the potential of this game.

IMO you can't have that feeling without the PvE to support it.  Without PvE it becomes Fantasy based Call of Duty.  Hardly any community is made in those types of games because you do not have the slow down predictable but grindy nature of the PvE element.  My opinions only.

Normally I would say if you wanted a true spiritual successor to DAoC to try Elder Scrolls Online but since the announcement of non faction locked terretories and cross faction guilds that will fail on the DAoC spiritual successor front as well.

IMO it looks like we're gonna need a new direction for "true" DAoC fans to look for and right now I will wait with baited breath on Blizzard's Titan.  Maybe Blizzard can do to DAoC what it did to EQ1 and make it mainstream.  One can only hope I guess.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• naezgulnaezgul Member Posts: 374

c'mon.

No different than what they do in front of a boardroom 

So it seems to me the hype is based around the legacy DAOC has left behind, that is a scary and tough act for Camelot Unchained to follow i wish them all the best but knowing the MMO crowd to well i do not envy them at all.

Funny thing is all CSE would have to do is take daoc pre-toa change skins, names and flashy effects and it would be a winner

Originally posted by naezgul

c'mon.

Except the board room isnt going to make them add panda's or anything else to bring in more kids, because there is no boardroom.

Originally posted by Fearum

c'mon.

Except the board room isnt going to make them add panda's or anything else to bring in more kids, because there is no boardroom.

I meant anyone trying to pitch an idea to a large company or investors.

kickstarter targets the end user.

• SebaliSebali Member UncommonPosts: 395
    Originally posted by Fearum

c'mon.

I meant anyone trying to pitch an idea to a large company or investors.

kickstarter targets the end user.

but we are not investers. we are just giving them money and get acess to a few pixels if we give them even more money. we dont get paid if the game takes off.

every other kickstarter i have seen the game atleast has a working prototype and in most cases are in alpha state.

this game doesnt even have a name yet. 

its basically been "we're gonna create a rvr game. give me some other ideas to put into it and oh...gimme money too"

• dreamer05dreamer05 Member UncommonPosts: 679
    Looking forward to it based on my love of DAoC.  And I really don't understand the people complaining about the kickstart.  I'm very much looking forward to this game but haven't invested in the kickstart.  Thats the point you really don't have to, so why are people who aren't even interested in the game complaining about the kickstart?

"God, please help us sinful children of Ivalice.."

• evil13evil13 Member CommonPosts: 359

"Im not trolling at all i love the idea of the game will likely play it when it comes out"

This just it - the game isn't going to come out unless it gets backed. CSE is asking the market (that would be us, the players) to tell them what we want. If there is enough interest, they will make it, if there isn't... well, why make a game that people don't want to play?

So the current kickstarter is as much a vote for the actual game (which doesn't exist beyond concepts and ideas atm) as it is a vote for the concept the game is based on - tri-realm RvR with little to no focus on PvE.  If that's a game you want to play, well, better back this up because no one else is making this type of a game.

Originally posted by dreamer05
    Looking forward to it based on my love of DAoC.  And I really don't understand the people complaining about the kickstart.  I'm very much looking forward to this game but haven't invested in the kickstart.  Thats the point you really don't have to, so why are people who aren't even interested in the game complaining about the kickstart?

They are probably shills for some large publisher and fear what could happen if games are actually made and even maybe succeed without big money backing them that people would stop falling for reskinned sequels.

• SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861
    Honestly, we are all just hyped up because we are idiotic troglodytes that don't possess the cognitive capacities of most other mmorpg forum posters and have all been snared by a magical form of hype-notism for which there is no precedence. We are all very sorry for inconveniencing you, and will soon be gone so that you can return to your regularly scheduled forum wars based upon unreleased games that have gameplay videos up that completely let you know how a game will play and thus matter more than design concepts that interest us (in an obviously misguided fashion.)

It took this to make me realize how foolish I have been. I am sorry that concepts excite me more than "proven" gameplay videos deciphered by expert video analysts. I made the mistake of believing in a concept that will never see fruition unless I believe in it, rather than hovering on the sidelines bitching about every game that doesn't meet the exact criteria of the dream game I am not willing to pay for. I am sorry that I think service should deserve payment.

I also don't hover over a live feed on a mmorpg forum and chime in just because it is attracting the most activity. I would ask why the copycat themepark mmos aren't attracting similar interests here, but then I remember that this is a dedicated mmorpg forum, and that the fact that this game is attracting this negative attention, even in pre-production, is indicative of the levels of banality and homogenization the genre has reached. That is my, and I dare say OUR bad. We should not have usurped your very meaningful forum power. Ironically, I didn't give a SHIT about your forum dynamics. I just wanted to talk about the game. Really. So effing sorry. We weren't trying to mess with anyone.

We didn't realize that it was stupid to believe in a brilliant concept. But thanks to the efforts of forum warriors that defend the sanctity of tried-and-true forum wars, we will go ahead and forget about what we love about this game concept and replace it with jaded cynicism. Does that make you less annoyed?

Don't think too harshly of us. We didn't know that there were rules for being interested.

Here's what's awesome. Us cluttering up your precious realtime feed is totally more annoying than us trying to talk amongst one another and being attacked for it. IN A DEDICATED FORUM.

I know this might be crazy, but maybe if you have a real problem with it, you should contact the site and petition for filters.

Oh, wait. Then what would you do for fun? Play games? Nah. Apparently they all suck.