Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Viking > TDD (Update #8)

Comments

• Father_JackFather_Jack Member Posts: 81
    This is a very goreous design and model, but it doesn't read as viking at all. It feels very high fashion runway. I get more of a steeps/mongol vibe off it. Personally I'd rather see a more grounded practical feel with more scandi flavor to it.
  • OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376
    Looks great. From what I've seen so far, I love the art style.
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    I loved Midgard, after seeing the Viking digs, I still couldn't play anything but them. I'm glad she looks badass too, and not running around in underwear.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• MightyPitMightyPit Member UncommonPosts: 92
    I would say less feathers, more sealskin. And more horns and bones. They could also be affine to frost / ice magic. 

MMO's played so far:
    UO,EQ,DAOC,EQ2,GW,ROM,WOW,WAR,AOC,LOTRO,RIFT,TSW,GW2,POE
    Looking forward to: Camelot Unchained, Star Citizen

• NanulakNanulak Member UncommonPosts: 372
    I'm ready to already!  Lets get moveing :)

Nanulak

• BowbowDAoCBowbowDAoC Member UncommonPosts: 472

Its nice, although i would like it better if there was "less"...i'm of a "sober" approach, especially when its comes to vikings...less colors, more dirty would be better, to my taste anyways.

i never like flashy characters.

But its nothing that cannot be arranged with some good old dyes :)

Bowbow (kob hunter) Infecto (kob cave shammy) and Thurka (troll warrior) on Merlin/Midgard DAoC
    Thurka on WAR

• KejekKejek Member Posts: 14

Yea, I like this, but definitely less feathers.

I think the shield hits it right, but the armor/feather look just doesnt feel "Viking" to me at all. Too soft. Vikings are not soft. Sharp, hard scraps should be the feel. Metals, bones, etc.

Fur, definitely FUR. Fur cloak, replace the feathers with fur. Wolf/Bear fur. 

Could just be the artwork, but less clothy feel on the rest of the pieces. More sealskin /leather like.

The model in general though? Awesome. Just really the armor that I have complaints with. I am a diehard Midgard fan :P

• RaagnarzRaagnarz Member RarePosts: 576
    Since I'll be playing vikings, should it get made, I am loving the design. Has a little traditional flavor but definitely a different take on it. And I second that its nice to see the woman's armor actually be you know...armor lol.
  • EdanyEdany Member UncommonPosts: 179
    I agree, replace the feathers with fur and you've damn near reached perfection. :)
  • meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    I like it. If the characters in the actual game look like these protoypes, I would be satisfied. Let's see something other than a tank for Arthurians: a caster or acher perhaps. Oh and you Middies are going to get beat down in CU by us Hibbies just like in DAOC.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• NcrediblebulkNcrediblebulk Member UncommonPosts: 138
    Hello uncovered concept art to the left of the artist's head when he's talking. What's that a giant fat orange race? Sign me the $@%^ up. Unless the TDDs can look like Ganondorf, which was the first thing that went through my mind when looking at the TDD model.

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth."

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    I like the look of the feathers, tbh.  Maybe it could be a class thing.  Fur, feathers.. it's all dead animal really. :p
  • TumblebutzTumblebutz Member UncommonPosts: 322
    What I don't like about it is that it makes me want to play a viking... and I don't want to want to play a viking!

Emeryc Eightdrakes - Ranger of DragonMyst Keep - Percival

RED IS DEAD!

• OdamanOdaman Member UncommonPosts: 195

I don't dig the feathers much either. The only bird I can see mids connected to are ravens and they damn sure wouldn't kill Odin's pets to wear on armor. Still looks good,  I just don't think it fits vikings very well. Bones and fur would be a better path.

At the same time, after an apocolyptic event maybe religion has gone out the window or spite for the gods so then raven feathers would be more fitting.

• KrullenKrullen Member Posts: 18
    Looks more like dragon scales then feathers. Make more sense being that too.

DAOC - Krullen - Hero/Tristan

• BowbowDAoCBowbowDAoC Member UncommonPosts: 472
    Originally posted by Tumblebutz
    What I don't like about it is that it makes me want to play a viking... and I don't want to want to play a viking!

lol !

and i agree with previous posters...less feathers more furs :)

Bowbow (kob hunter) Infecto (kob cave shammy) and Thurka (troll warrior) on Merlin/Midgard DAoC
    Thurka on WAR

Originally posted by Krullen
    Looks more like dragon scales then feathers. Make more sense being that too.

Actually thats a real good point. I have to agree with this. Especially since dragon's spewed out of the piercing or something. If they are hunting dragons, dragon's scales would make a lot of sense.

• KejekKejek Member Posts: 14

In the model (and the artwork) the shoulders defenitely look like long black feathers.

The rest, could be dragonscale. The light green / blue near the bottom of the .. Cloak? look like much smaller scales, to neat and precise imo.

I don't want to say "COLOR BAD STAHP", but I think vikings are going to have a bit less color. The dragons may have multiple colors, but I would think that the dragons that would prefer the climate of the vikings would probably be grey, white, or some such. So if they are scales, altering their color,  or if sticking with the same color, making it more weather worn, beaten up (battle damaged! heh), cracked, scarred, etc.

But yea, even with the scales, remove the long black feathers, use fur for the top of the cloak (around the shoulders) and make the scales a bit more worn/weathered, and I think we might have a decent compromise.

• tleartlear Member Posts: 142

Way too cartoonish for me, better then TDD(that look just stupid) but too much feathers, too much useless "fashion statement" type stuff. Less is more please..

Keep in mind color is a moot point. There will be dyes in the game as they are part of kickstarter backings, so the concept art is just colors the designer picked. We'll be able to tailor them more to our liking lol.
  • drakon3drakon3 Member Posts: 114
    All in all I like it.  But I'm a bit worried about the use of huge bone spikes on the shoulder pads of some of the concepts.  That's almost getting into WoW territory and they are extremely silly in "reality".
  • Corinthian-XCorinthian-X Member Posts: 86
    Originally posted by Ncrediblebulk
    Hello uncovered concept art to the left of the artist's head when he's talking. What's that a giant fat orange race? Sign me the $@%^ up. Unless the TDDs can look like Ganondorf, which was the first thing that went through my mind when looking at the TDD model.

I could very well be wrong, but that looks kinda like one of the models from MoO.

• naezgulnaezgul Member Posts: 374
    Originally posted by BowbowDAoC

Its nice, although i would like it better if there was "less"...i'm of a "sober" approach, especially when its comes to vikings...less colors, more dirty would be better, to my taste anyways.

Exactly what I felt about the garb.

comparing the two races so far I like the TTD except lose the facentlers.

its just the Viking look is too far out of nnorms at too many decorative layers 

• naezgulnaezgul Member Posts: 374
    Originally posted by Father_Jack
    This is a very goreous design and model, but it doesn't read as viking at all. It feels very high fashion runway. I get more of a steeps/mongol vibe off it. Personally I'd rather see a more grounded practical feel with more scandi flavor to it.

Steppes

• Corinthian-XCorinthian-X Member Posts: 86
    Originally posted by naezgul
    Originally posted by BowbowDAoC

Exactly what I felt about the garb.

comparing the two races so far I like the TTD except lose the facentlers.

its just the Viking look is too far out of nnorms at too many decorative layers 

I think the piece of concept art that has the 3 different viking figures is pretty awesome. Would love to see those modeled in 3d.

What we all have to remember is this is just an early prototype. Its one rendering out of probably dozens of concepts, so I wouldn't get to bent out of shape just yet.