Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMO are dying.

Comments

• tupodawg999tupodawg999 Member UncommonPosts: 724
    Originally posted by CalmOceans

Well that's my conclusion after thinking about it.

While MMO do well and sell well, they are not really MMO anymore, they're all small scale dungeon instancers (LoL, Vindictus), solo quest grinders (WoW SWOTOR), , or glorified action Hack & Slash multiplayer games (Tera, GW2).

I haven't seen a game with a true community where the primary focus was the world and human interaction and the gameplay came second in MMO in a number of years. Now the gameplay is frist and if it isn't too much trouble maybe you'll be interacting with someone too, and if no ones interacts, join an artificial bubble called a guild and interact in the bubble.

Most people don't need MMO to interact online, there are plenty of chat opportunities, facebook, twitter, disqus, liveFire, forums, email, messengers, smartphones, youtube. You have all these ways to interact with people you want, there is way too much noise to make a world where people will be truly immersed and willing to spend time with each other in a game outside of gameplay.

There's no need for it anymore, there are thousands of other and arguably better ways to interact online.

I think the term MMO lives on even though the games are now becomes multiplayer action games, but the idea behind MMO is long gone I think, it's replaced by other communities online that are far easier and more effective way to interact.

I don't think so. I think they went down a dead end for a long time trying to copy WoW's success and are just starting to reel back now - that still means a long wait though.

• SorninSornin Member Posts: 1,133

MMORPGs are not dying, they are just evolving. Unfortunately, that evolution is taking them away from their roots as community-driven, social games where people get to band together, invest in their character and guild, and share a good time. Now they are just ways to pass time.

I have given up looking at mainstream MMORPGs for now. What is on the horizon there does not interest me; same old, same old. I am hoping Camelot Unchained will be different by getting back to social gameplay.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952

I was a having a look at Lotro the other day, the open world vistas, the undulating terrain. Modern “ribbon worlds” do not match up.

Graphics is not just about quality, its about implementation. If your MMO is on a flat surface in a ribbon zone that is not a graphical advancement.

Modern easyMMO’s hardly deserve the “MMO” in the title. Old MMO’s have passed, like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow.

Only time will tell if the upcoming sandbox/themepark hybrid MMO’s will turn the tide. I don’t think they will, the market is too saturated, you can find a new niche, but poor quality MMOs are here to stay.

• vadess40vadess40 Member UncommonPosts: 38

Everything in this world, including how people game and socialize, evolves. The way I hang out with my friends now is not the same as the way people hung out with friends 10, 20, 100, 200 years ago. To presume that things can and always will remain the same is... well, to put it quite frankly is grasping at thin air really as human history has no grounds for it, especially since the turn of the 20th century in which change spead up at a dramatic rate (note this rate is continuing to get faster as faster as time moves on).

Personally, I don't think change/evolution is the issue that should be addressed, as it is an inevitable truth about the society we live in. Rather, I'd say the real issue is how can I evolve with the market and still get the social and community aspects of online games? I think the answer is simply that I have to go find it as it won't come to me. If I choose to go find it, instead of wait for it to come to me, then there are plenty of ways for me to do sofrom forming a guild to participating constructively in general chat discussions to simply saying hi when I get into a group via Group Finder .

So.. where comes the part where the OP explains how he or she is trying to build community in the MMOs he/she plays given how MMORPGs are evolving?

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

[quote]Originally posted by Nikopol
    [b][quote]

Even in WOW, the MMO that - for many - brought polished combat to the MMO scene, I remember a lot of people getting bored of the game itself and just sticking around for the community. 

[/b][/quote]

Come on, WOW: the game where people are not interested to see what gamer they encounter but rather the gear he brings to help someone progress themselves in the game?
    The game that has changed into a instanced lobby?

What the OP is experiencing with his "MMO ARE DYING" is that the traditional cookie cutter healer-tank-dps leveling template themepark MMO's are dying.

And thank God for that.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

Why do people think they need to make this thread on a weekly basis.... because they had a bad experience in a few games ? 

Just boggles the mind how people take personal mishaps and then decide its the end of an entire style of games.

Lolipops !

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

I started follow Darkfall on forumfall back in 2003 and it was still realy about old school then slowly it change around 2005-6 by the time when they announced beta in 2008 it became worsed community on forums keep demand manding featers we as true fans never wanted but harm was already done from 60k community went up to 350k mainly comming from themeparks we all know.

Darkfall was never the game Claus visioned to be but players made crap out of it by demanding constantly change to easy gameplay and darkfal slowly died now we have even a worse copy of darkfall unholy wars thats not worth any attention.

I reasondly came back to AC2 old school mmo and community change in many ways so much that im affraid as soon devs learn the gamecode again its going dumbdownhill.

MMO will never be as before 2004 thats fact.

• vadess40vadess40 Member UncommonPosts: 38
    Originally posted by Voiidiin

Why do people think they need to make this thread on a weekly basis.... because they had a bad experience in a few games ? 

Just boggles the mind how people take personal mishaps and then decide its the end of an entire style of games.

I think it's cause they need something to complain about, and are not really interested to evolving along with the games in order to make things better.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by tupodawg999

I don't think so. I think they went down a dead end for a long time trying to copy WoW's success and are just starting to reel back now - that still means a long wait though.

The good devs already went different directions like ARPG (PoE), MOBA (LOL), instanced pvp (WOT, Star Conflict), MMOFPS (Defiance).

There is a lot of talk about MMO’s evolving, does it stand up? Have the dinosaurs of the MMO world died out? Think back to EQ, UO, AC etc. No they have not.

With each new generation MMO’s are becoming diminished, faltering clones which wither on the vine after a few months. There is the odd success, but it is a rare one. Will GW2 have the longevity of EQ or UO? I doubt it.

If you want evidence MMO’s are dying, consider this. Do you play your old solo games? The ones from twelve years ago? Ok maybe your system can't run those anymore, what about from four years ago? No you do not; modern solo games are still seen as worthy successors of the old. Why are players still playing EQ, UO, and WoW? Why have they not been blown away by modern MMO’s?

Because modern MMO’s are by comparison shallow and very limited in gameplay.

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

You're right, the acronym MMO is now synonymous to any online game with multiplayer aspects. But tha'ts not necessarily a bad thing. Think about how many more people are now playing online games. It's become something that's almost viewed as normal. 

I would much rather have the choice to play a 20 minute action game than be forced to play a single type of game, namely quest and gear grinding, in traditional MMOs. The main problem with the interactions that you want is the fact that people will find any way to screw the other guy or the system.

Trading interactions infected with bot farmers, PvP with griefers, the guy who messes up zone chat, exploiting systems then crying "well they should have known!" These are the people to blame for ruining your interaction games. 

After playing a lot of gw2 and helping others kill monsters if feels completely alien to not help people in almost all other MMOs. However it has this horrrible problem of people not really talking to one another. I still feel that GW2 has the most potential of all MMOs out there. Yeah I said it. The question of whether it has reached it's potential is up for arguement. For me it's not quite where I would like it yet. A little bit more to do out in the world - a couple more world bosses, hidden secret world bosses maybe?

Vistas are a stupid part of GW2, I feel that the effort there should have been spent on doing cutscenes with those badass views instead of forcing them on us for map completion.

Traditional MMOs won't work anymore because we are sick of them. We need something better and newer than everything we already have. While we wait for 'that' MMO we have a ton of new smaller MMOs to play!

Path of Exile is pretty win for a party mmo. Mechwarrior Online has a lot of potential. Age of Wushu (plagued with bots) is a good example of a near traditional MMO with nifty new features like offline NPC mode and being free to learn badass kung fu moves with awesome names like Seven Star Deadly Strike or Falling Crane Sweep.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245
    Originally posted by Scot

There is a lot of talk about MMO’s evolving, does it stand up? Have the dinosaurs of the MMO world died out? Think back to EQ, UO, AC etc. No they have not.

With each new generation MMO’s are becoming diminished, faltering clones which wither on the vine after a few months. There is the odd success, but it is a rare one. Will GW2 have the longevity of EQ or UO? I doubt it.

If you want evidence MMO’s are dying, consider this. Do you play your old solo games? The ones from twelve years ago? Ok maybe your system can't run those anymore, what about from four years ago? No you do not; modern solo games are still seen as worthy successors of the old. Why are players still playing EQ, UO, and WoW? Why have they not been blown away by modern MMO’s?

I agree on play old solo games no.

Its offcorse matter of taste and opinion how others see this but i think there still amazing solo games made name few:

The Witcher 2

Skyrim

Dishonred

Bioshock infinite

These for me are TOP NOTCH solo games.

For me personal i can't mention any superb mmo(closed for me Darkfall1) released in past 9 years.

Im not looking forward to any MMO at moment.

But im eagerly awaiting THE WITCHER 3 i think this will SHAKE the whole solo rpg genre ten fold.

I am not playing old MMO either. EQ and UO are thrown away by modern MMO like games. There are order of magnitudes more players that play D3, PoE, LoL, WOT, GW2 .. than EQ and UO.

WOW is the only odd man out.

It is because modern MMOs and MMO-like games are much better games.

• Pixel_JockeyPixel_Jockey Member Posts: 165

This

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    Originally posted by JudgeUK

I believe the title of the post is misleading, rather it should be traditional mmo's with good social interactions are dying - but that's got near zero headline attraction.

So the current headline is working in attracting comment, although a little sensational in relation to the actual well thought out post. 

So what?  That's like saying "traditional cars that you have to crank to start are dying".  Big deal.  The reality is that the majority of players of MMOs simply do not like the traditional MMO model and the market has changed to accomodate them.  MMOs aren't dying at all, they're more popular than they've ever been, there's just a small, but very vocal minority who doesn't like the direction they've gone.

Tough titties.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Dying? They're stone dead. They've been dead for a solid 8 years now. 

Yup, the multi-billion dollar a year industry is dead.  Riiiiiiight...

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more

Originally posted by NorseGod
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by NorseGod

Doesn't change the fact that these amazing games you boast about coming out every year only last a month or so, or, technically they last :rollseyes:, I mean hobble along with gimmicks.

So what? A great fun 1 month is better than a mediocre 1 year.

Entertainment does not have to be long to be good. Is a longer movie always better? Is a longer novel always better?

True. But what about those MMOs that were good to play for years at a time?

I honestly don't know that they really were good to play for years at a time.  Back in the day, those were the only choices  you had, if you wanted to play an MMO, you could pick from product A, B or C.    It really wasn't much of a choice and people stuck with games, not because the games were great, but because it was all there was.  I  got pretty damn bored with a lot of those games back then, but if I wanted to play that kind of game... there it was.

Just because a relatively few people sit on a game for years at a time doesn't really mean it's great overall.

• FradenFraden Member UncommonPosts: 53

First of all I agree with the guy above me (excuse the hyperlinked text as mmorpg.com messed it all up). I played Asheron's Call for over 5 years, but now that I think of it.. it wasn't amazing. It was pretty good, but in the end I found myself quiting and re-subbing for one simple reason, there was literally nothing else to play. 

However I disagree that there isn't any hope at all. There is some, EoC looks ok, Origins of Malu looks to shaping up very nicely. Archeage also comes to mind, and one of my favorite sounding ones is Divergence.

You could check out this game and see if you think MMO's are truly dead. They will be if more projects like this dont start pushing larger companies to be inventive. Maybe it wont be a huge success, maybe it wont live up to everything it says it will, but it's a start, and you have to start pushing to start anything.

<a data-cke-saved-href="http://www.mmorpg.com/profile.cfm/username/Cephus404"; href="http://www.mmorpg.com/profile.cfm/username/Cephus404"; title="View information about Cephus404" suhlink"=""> 

http://divergence-online.wix.com/divergence-online

They also interviewed the guy here on mmorpg.com: 

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/269/feature/7282/Introducing-a-Hardcore-Sandbox-MMO.html#post

(It sucks you dont wanna see it)

Originally posted by Cephus404
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Dying? They're stone dead. They've been dead for a solid 8 years now. 

Yup, the multi-billion dollar a year industry is dead.  Riiiiiiight...

Come on we have had all these arguments before, if an industry is still making money that does not mean the newer product is better. You can have an inferior product, which you sell to more people and make lots of money. That's where MMO's are rigjht now.

And the industry is looking to sell to even more people, expanding into the social media market. With games on small screen platforms with smaller processing power and memory. They are making lots of money though, are you going to say these games on mobiles and tablets are better as well?

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

MMOs of the past weren't that different from multiplayer games.  The concepts of a persistent, online world, was still new and developing, but that doesn't mean they were better.  Past, and current, MMOs are still the same in concept; online worlds, sharing the same virtual space, whether instanced or open-world.  Both instances and open-world concepts are used differently and work for different purposes.

To suggest that MMOs are dying because they use different mechanics, designs, and alogrithms, for different purposes,  is nonsense.

Likewise to say two things are the same because they share the same concept is nonsense. Implementation of the concept can make games or for that matter anything else have huge differences.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

I agree with the OP in many ways.  Community was #1, now its last.

What I don't agree is that its because of the players choice.  Now that is what everyone thinks so I understand where the OP gets this from.  BUT DEVELOPERS MADE THE CHANGES ON THERE OWN.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Originally posted by delete5230

What I don't agree is that its because of the players choice.  Now that is what everyone thinks so I understand where the OP gets this from.  BUT DEVELOPERS MADE THE CHANGES ON THERE OWN.

This is a bizzare statement that is trying to re-write history.

Name one game that financially benefited from having a 'community #1' mentality and why they no longer do now.

The majority just doesn't care about 'community' in an online video game. That's what the market said for the past 7 years, whether you like that fact or not is irrelevent.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

Come on we have had all these arguments before, if an industry is still making money that does not mean the newer product is better. You can have an inferior product, which you sell to more people and make lots of money. That's where MMO's are rigjht now.

Well more people are buying the product .. they must like it better .. so "better" for them.

If you don't like the product, it does not mean that it is inferior.

To me, modern MMOs are much better games. And i don't think my preference is any less valid than yours. And i vote with my feet & wallet.

Originally posted by jpnz
    Originally posted by delete5230

This is a bizzare statement that is trying to re-write history.

Name one game that financially benefited from having a 'community #1' mentality and why they no longer do now.

The majority just doesn't care about 'community' in an online video game. That's what the market said for the past 7 years, whether you like that fact or not is irrelevent.

Yeah .. it is not hard to understand. I play games to have fun .. not to make friends. That may be a by-product .. but it is not that important.

Give me a good game first.