Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lucas Arts Shut Down

Comments

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by Gaborik
    Originally posted by Karteli
    Originally posted by tiefighter25

The relevance of Disney shuttering LA and its 2 projects in relation to SWTOR is that Disney is obviously aggresively rebranding the Star Wars franchise it has purchased. (SW 1313 had a lot of money already poured into it, and it is not known if anyone will pick up its development.)

Whether or not this directly affects SWTOR remains to be seen. Regardless of licesnse status, a curious question is that LA did have several people whose responsibilty was to approve or dissaprove new SWTOR content as to whether or not it was acceptable in the SW EU canon. We don't know if those people still have jobs and what if any impact that has on new SWTOR content. (Will it be delayed, do they have more wiggle room at Bioware in regard to canon?)

When the SWTOR title screen comes up, LA is one of the 3 names.  Since SWTOR launched there have been big changes at Bioware, EA, and now LA. It doesn't seem off topic ,to me, to wonder how this will affect SWTOR when so many big rocks are being thrown in the pond. How  those ripples will possibly affect SWTOR seems relevant to discussion.

I am sorry this long winded stretch of an explanation as to why this article has anything to do with SWTOR is weak at best.  Its just an attempt by you to continue your 2 yr bash fest of a video game.  The more conspiracies the better for some folks i guess.  

How I've been bashing on a a game for 2 years, but have been a memeber for less then a year, I'm not sure.

If you bothered to read my long winded explanation, you would have noticed I pointed out that this change at LA might make life easier for Bioware.

There have been major changes at LA, which may affect SWTOR; it's a pretty hot topic on the SWTOR official forums as well.

Besides telling the OP what he can't make a thread about, or telling the moderators how to do their jobs, or telling me how or what I can comment on, do you have anything to add to the discussion?

1YR Or 2 Yrs Both Are Pretty Sad When It ComesTo Bashing A Video Game. As For Calling Out The Op For Putting This Under SWTOR. Once aAgain This Article Had Nothing To Do With Swtor. To Purposely Put It In Swtor And Not General Gaming IsPurposely Misleading. I Guess I Am Confused How Hard That Is To Understand. If This WaS In General Gaming There Would Be No Issue. You Also Said This Could Affect Content Being Delayed? That Is A Joke, This Will Not Affect Swtor At All.

Source? =P

Its An Educated Guess. Since The Only Involvement LA Had In Swtor Was Selling The Naming Rights Of Star Wars TO Bioware (Which Usually Is A Term Contract Of 7-10 Yrs) . I Guess I Should Have Said This Will Have No Affect Until Their Licensing Deal Expires. But You Two Dont Think The Game Will Last Another Year Or Two Anyways.

Considering Smed said that LA called the shots with SWG, then it would stand to reason that EA/BW would have little control over SWTOR as well.

It was something that SOE could say "yes" to a couple of months after it had to say "no" to pleading Star Wars Galaxies fans. So why did EQMac get saved while SWG was not? It came down to licensing, and with LucasArts calling the shots with SWG, SOE didn't have the flexibility that it did with EQMac. SOE's reticent to shut anything down, Smedley said, although sometimes the higher-ups have to make the call to do so.

LA were involved with SWG quite a lot up until NGE, but then after NGE they just let SOE get on with it, like they did with SWTOR from the start, as tiefighter just pointed out.

SWGs licence was up for renewal in 2012, but got shut down early in 2011. Lucasarts had the power to do that and was out of SOEs control. The same will be for EA/BW with SWTOR, and they have already poured tonnes of money into it that they are not willing to pour any more, unless some miracle happens and 20 million of people start subbing and paying $15 and buying everything in the Cartel Market on a daily basis

Disney are now the licensors, and they are seriously restructuring the SW brand quite aggressively. They have said they are not interested in the expanded universe which would include SWTOR, but are mainly focussing on SW after episode 6. If SWG was still active then that would be less at risk as they could just expand the game with episodes 7-9 but they can not expand SWTOR with that as it would be stupid.

• HazelleHazelle Member Posts: 760
    Originally posted by superniceguy

The relevance of Disney shuttering LA and its 2 projects in relation to SWTOR is that Disney is obviously aggresively rebranding the Star Wars franchise it has purchased. (SW 1313 had a lot of money already poured into it, and it is not known if anyone will pick up its development.)

Whether or not this directly affects SWTOR remains to be seen. Regardless of licesnse status, a curious question is that LA did have several people whose responsibilty was to approve or dissaprove new SWTOR content as to whether or not it was acceptable in the SW EU canon. We don't know if those people still have jobs and what if any impact that has on new SWTOR content. (Will it be delayed, do they have more wiggle room at Bioware in regard to canon?)

When the SWTOR title screen comes up, LA is one of the 3 names.  Since SWTOR launched there have been big changes at Bioware, EA, and now LA. It doesn't seem off topic ,to me, to wonder how this will affect SWTOR when so many big rocks are being thrown in the pond. How  those ripples will possibly affect SWTOR seems relevant to discussion.

I am sorry this long winded stretch of an explanation as to why this article has anything to do with SWTOR is weak at best.  Its just an attempt by you to continue your 2 yr bash fest of a video game.  The more conspiracies the better for some folks i guess.  

How I've been bashing on a a game for 2 years, but have been a memeber for less then a year, I'm not sure.

If you bothered to read my long winded explanation, you would have noticed I pointed out that this change at LA might make life easier for Bioware.

There have been major changes at LA, which may affect SWTOR; it's a pretty hot topic on the SWTOR official forums as well.

Besides telling the OP what he can't make a thread about, or telling the moderators how to do their jobs, or telling me how or what I can comment on, do you have anything to add to the discussion?

1YR Or 2 Yrs Both Are Pretty Sad When It ComesTo Bashing A Video Game. As For Calling Out The Op For Putting This Under SWTOR. Once aAgain This Article Had Nothing To Do With Swtor. To Purposely Put It In Swtor And Not General Gaming IsPurposely Misleading. I Guess I Am Confused How Hard That Is To Understand. If This WaS In General Gaming There Would Be No Issue. You Also Said This Could Affect Content Being Delayed? That Is A Joke, This Will Not Affect Swtor At All.

Source? =P

Its An Educated Guess. Since The Only Involvement LA Had In Swtor Was Selling The Naming Rights Of Star Wars TO Bioware (Which Usually Is A Term Contract Of 7-10 Yrs) . I Guess I Should Have Said This Will Have No Affect Until Their Licensing Deal Expires. But You Two Dont Think The Game Will Last Another Year Or Two Anyways.

Considering Smed said that LA called the shots with SWG, then it would stand to reason that EA/BW would have little control over SWTOR as well.

It was something that SOE could say "yes" to a couple of months after it had to say "no" to pleading Star Wars Galaxies fans. So why did EQMac get saved while SWG was not? It came down to licensing, and with LucasArts calling the shots with SWG, SOE didn't have the flexibility that it did with EQMac. SOE's reticent to shut anything down, Smedley said, although sometimes the higher-ups have to make the call to do so.

LA were involved with SWG quite a lot up until NGE, but then after NGE they just let SOE get on with it, like they did with SWTOR from the start, as tiefighter just pointed out.

SWGs licence was up for renewal in 2012, but got shut down early in 2011. Lucasarts had the power to do that and was out of SOEs control. The same will be for EA/BW with SWTOR, and they have already poured tonnes of money into it that they are not willing to pour any more, unless some miracle happens and 20 million of people start subbing and paying $15 and buying everything in the Cartel Market on a daily basis

Disney are now the licensors, and they are seriously restructuring the SW brand quite aggressively. They have said they are not interested in the expanded universe which would include SWTOR, but are mainly focussing on SW after episode 6. If SWG was still active then that would be less at risk as they could just expand the game with episodes 7-9 but they can not expand SWTOR with that as it would be stupid.

LA called the shots with regards to licencing which probably involved story approval.

Releasing the game without JTLS and then selling it to us as an expansion was SOE.

The combat rebalance was SOE.

The combat upgrade instead of the rebalance was SOE.

The NGE was SOE.

The release of Trials of Obi-wan just prior to the NGE release was SOE.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by Hazelle

LA called the shots with regards to licencing which probably involved story approval.

Releasing the game without JTLS and then selling it to us as an expansion was SOE.

The NGE was SOE.

Exactly.The revisionists can say what they want,but Smedley himself said that it was a mutual decision between SOE and LA to end Galaxies.  

The decision to shut down SWG is first and foremost a business decision mutually agreed upon between SOE and LucasArts. LucasArts has a new game coming out, and the contract would be running out in 2012 anyway, so we feel like it's the right time for the game to end.

On the NGE..

There's really nothing we can do about it. We've taken some hard-knocks for SWG in years past with theNGE. We've apologized for it. It was a mistake, and not one we're going to make as a company ever again.

He said "we as a company made a mistake." Meaning "we were all for it." 

So enough with the bull from the SOE apologists. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by ktanner3

The NGE was SOE.

Exactly.The revisionists can say what they want,but Smedley himself said that it was a mutual decision between SOE and LA to end Galaxies.  

The decision to shut down SWG is first and foremost a business decision mutually agreed upon between SOE and LucasArts. LucasArts has a new game coming out, and the contract would be running out in 2012 anyway, so we feel like it's the right time for the game to end.

On the NGE..

There's really nothing we can do about it. We've taken some hard-knocks for SWG in years past with theNGE. We've apologized for it. It was a mistake, and not one we're going to make as a company ever again.

So enough with the crap.

It seems a little open ended, since SOE was sweet talking LucasArts with Clone Wars Adventures, and they likely weren't willing to start any blame or smack talk.

The mutual agreement seems more like Lucas raising the licensing fee (plus removing the previous waiver), then SOE realizing that paying those fees would not be cost effective.  So SOE couldn't pay, and LucasArts wouldn't let them continue.  Thus a mutual agreement was reached .. and I'm sure it wasn't all smiles either.

As for NGE+other changes SOE made, it was just SOE trying to maximize revenue, much like EA is doing with microtransactions and new content via gambling boxes.  Opinions vary on whether any or all changes at any time in history is good or not.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605
    ...old news.  why would disney keep two studios open?

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• theoneandonlytheoneandonly Member Posts: 102
    Now there r some more hope. New SW MMO is closer with this news.
  • FluxiiFluxii Member Posts: 184
    Speaking of less competition, it's most likely why they're shutting down Clone Wars too (from what I read on another site).  It's on their direct network competition, Cartoon Network.
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by Sornin
    I am quite sad to hear LucasArts is closing. I am not a massive fan of Star Wars, but the games they made were amazing. Shadows of the Empire will always be near and dear to my heart.

For the N64?  Yeah, I remember renting that one.  It was hard as balls because the controls were terrible, but it was cool.

Ah, I see the reason people might be disappointed about 1313.  I'm not sure I got a "Star Wars" vibe from the video (no Jedi or anything), but it looks really good.  I always liked the "blaster and body armor" half of Star Wars better anyway.  I loved my trooper in SWTOR.

It was about a bounty hunter going in to the ghetto/slums deep into the depths of coruscant which is called 1313.

Originally posted by noncley

http://www.avclub.com/articles/disney-shuts-down-lucasarts-ending-its-video-game,96052/

Disney shuts down LucasArts, ending its video game production forever

This Post Should Either Be Deleted Or Re-Named. Nothing About This Article Has Anything To Do With Swtor. A Matter Of Fact I Remember Other Failed Attemped At Trolling Post ThAt Was Along The Lines Of " Lucus Arts Has Removed Their Name From Swtor". The Stretch These People Continue To Go Just To Bash A Video Game Is A Joke.

How is this a troll post? hes just gave some big news about disney shutting down lucas arts and lucas film.  Your the the troll here.

On the NGE..

So enough with the crap.

It seems a little open ended, since SOE was sweet talking LucasArts with Clone Wars Adventures, and they likely weren't willing to start any blame or smack talk.

The mutual agreement seems more like Lucas raising the licensing fee (plus removing the previous waiver), then SOE realizing that paying those fees would not be cost effective.  So SOE couldn't pay, and LucasArts wouldn't let them continue.  Thus a mutual agreement was reached .. and I'm sure it wasn't all smiles either.

Do you have a source for this or did you just make all that up?

As for NGE+other changes SOE made, it was just SOE trying to maximize revenue, much like EA is doing with microtransactions and new content via gambling boxes.  Opinions vary on whether any or all changes at any time in history is good or not.

Opinions don't vary very much on the NGE . Even the biggest SOE apologist on this board can admit that was a bad move. I don't remember  many applaidng it at the time it happened either.  That was an entire revamp of the game so not a very good comparison. 

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by tkreep

http://www.avclub.com/articles/disney-shuts-down-lucasarts-ending-its-video-game,96052/

This Post Should Either Be Deleted Or Re-Named. Nothing About This Article Has Anything To Do With Swtor. A Matter Of Fact I Remember Other Failed Attemped At Trolling Post ThAt Was Along The Lines Of " Lucus Arts Has Removed Their Name From Swtor". The Stretch These People Continue To Go Just To Bash A Video Game Is A Joke.

How is this a troll post? hes just gave some big news about disney shutting down lucas arts and lucas film.  Your the the troll here.

I have to agree.  Someone even went so far as to report the OP for no good reason.  And what's with all the caps?

• noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718

I have to agree.  Someone even went so far as to report the OP for no good reason.  And what's with all the caps?

I am the original poster. Not only was the topic reported but Michael Bitton, who has been a vehement cheerleader for SWTOR for the last four years, changed the title of the thread to make it less critical of Bioware and the game.

I am the original poster. Not only was the topic reported but Michael Bitton, who has been a vehement shill for SWTOR for the last four years, changed the title of the thread to make it less critical of Bioware and the game.

Your original title was wrong. It was changed to be more accurate. 

• MondoA2JMondoA2J Member Posts: 258

Disney is a business first and foremost.

I am 100% sure they will continue to make new games especially with the new trilogy on the horizon.

I don't see this as a bad thing. Its a good thing.

Is it sad these people lost their jobs? Yes.

Is it the end of Star Wars games? Far far from it. (see what I did there?)

Now speaking to the matter of MMORPGs? I don't think any company will be foolish enough to try EVER again on this IP unless Disney themselves backs it and makes it.

MMORPG Gamers/Developers need a reality check!

On the NGE..

So enough with the crap.

(1) Do you have a source for this or did you just make all that up?

(2) Opinions don't vary very much on the NGE . Even the biggest SOE apologist on this board can admit that was a bad move. I don't remember  many applaidng it at the time it happened either.  That was an entire revamp of the game so not a very good comparison. 

(1) If I have time I'll look that bit up.  I recall reading such info in articles.  Perhaps other's might pipe in.  It's mostly a dead topic, but it might shed light into how contracts get forced into closure via "mutual agreements".

(2) Opinions do vary with regard to NGE.  SOE no doubt took a hit, but some posters still say NGE wasn't that bad.. it might just come down to the usual casual vs elitist argument.  When SWTOR went F2P I'd say that was a major splitting rift in the player base .. some quit, some stayed while hating it, some loved it.  Casuals now get to buy their way to the top - screw working for legacy, etc.

I fail to see how it isn't a very good comparison, because if what you say about SWG's NGE is to be believed (and nobody applauded it), then SWG would have had exactly zero players after it went live.

Some people obviously liked it .. or dealt with it as SWG was the only SW MMO apparently .. or they tolerated it while going vocal about their dislikes.  Some just play and never post.

Originally posted by MondoA2J

Disney is a business first and foremost.

I am 100% sure they will continue to make new games especially with the new trilogy on the horizon.

I don't see this as a bad thing. Its a good thing.

Is it sad these people lost their jobs? Yes.

Is it the end of Star Wars games? Far far from it. (see what I did there?)

Now speaking to the matter of MMORPGs? I don't think any company will be foolish enough to try EVER again on this IP unless Disney themselves backs it and makes it.

Anfortunatly for MMO Disney is not Carlsberg.............

How much was spend on voice acting VS how much spend on game development? C the difrents?

Originally posted by RexNebular
    I never even heard about 1313.. was it in mid-development?

Nice target render. I wonder what the actual game looked like. (edit: Christofer Sundberg from Avalanche tweeted LA employees told him they needed two more years to complete the game so I guess that answers that.)

Anyway, they already said there's no interest among the developers to finish the game.

Margins are so small with licensed properties that only some mad or absolutely desperate developer/publisher would agree to work on an AAA Star Wars game.

that was in-game...is it that hard to believe with games like Uncharted already out that looks just as good or the New Tomb Raider.

• red_cruiserred_cruiser Member UncommonPosts: 486
    Good riddance.  LucasArts was synonymous with bad games.  1313 is better off living in our memories over what it could have been than ever living to see the light of day.  How many years back do we have to go to see any of LucasArts really big hits? 

On the NGE..

So enough with the crap.

(2) Opinions don't vary very much on the NGE . Even the biggest SOE apologist on this board can admit that was a bad move. I don't remember  many applaidng it at the time it happened either.  That was an entire revamp of the game so not a very good comparison. 

(1) If I have time I'll look that bit up.  I recall reading such info in articles.  Perhaps other's might pipe in.  It's mostly a dead topic, but it might shed light into how contracts get forced into closure via "mutual agreements".

(2) Opinions do vary with regard to NGE.  SOE no doubt took a hit, but some posters still say NGE wasn't that bad..

Some still say Hitler wasn't that bad of a guy, but not very many. 

it might just come down to the usual casual vs elitist argument.  When SWTOR went F2P I'd say that was a major splitting rift in the player base .. some quit, some stayed while hating it, some loved it.  Casuals now get to buy their way to the top - screw working for legacy, etc.

I fail to see how it isn't a very good comparison, because if what you say about SWG's NGE is to be believed (and nobody applauded it), then SWG would have had exactly zero players after it went live.

Holy cow, SWG  went from over 300,000 subs down to 50k after the NGE was put in. It was a revamp of the entire game(sandbox to themepark) and it was panned very loudly.  Cities went empty, protests were done in game and lawsuits were filed. TOR's FTP option didn't lose players, it gained them. Plus, nothing changed for subscribers except free cartel coins to spend on the market or an option to use them on legacy unlocks in place of credits. That was it. When SWG players logged in Nov. 2005 their game was unrecognizable.  Imagine EVE or Darkfall players waking up one day and seeing their game turned into WOW. That would give you a good idea of the level of change and how ridiculous you look trying to make the comparison.

All it means that whoever wants can develope SW game. If they will buy rights fom Disney. Hope they will do shortly. Hate to see SW turning into Cartoon Network. Though they do better staff in visual customisation then EAware.

On the NGE..

So enough with the crap.

(2) Opinions do vary with regard to NGE.  SOE no doubt took a hit, but some posters still say NGE wasn't that bad..

it might just come down to the usual casual vs elitist argument.  When SWTOR went F2P I'd say that was a major splitting rift in the player base .. some quit, some stayed while hating it, some loved it.  Casuals now get to buy their way to the top - screw working for legacy, etc.

Holy cow, SWG  went from over 300,000 subs down to 50k after the NGE was put in. It was a revamp of the entire game(sandbox to themepark) and it was panned very loudly.  Cities went empty, protests were done in game and lawsuits were filed. TOR's FTP option didn't lose players, it gained them. Plus, nothing changed for subscribers except free cartel coins to spend on the market or an option to use them on legacy unlocks in place of credits. That was it. When SWG players logged in Nov. 2005 their game was unrecognizable.  Imagine EVE or Darkfall players waking up one day and seeing their game turned into WOW. That would give you a good idea of the level of change and how ridiculous you look trying to make the comparison.

Imagine if honesty was thrown out.

Hypothetically, Sony could have said:  Subs are below 300k, but more than 50k.

I prefer honesty, but it was those same candid quarterly results that fuels your argument.  EA doesn't provide any, how interesting?  Trash SOE for being honest .. praise EA for being ambiguous.

Those lawsuits ended how? Ah yes, they were baseless.

Blue: That is your opinion.  It's my alaysis that SWTOR did lose many players because of F2P.  They also gained some.  It was a major churn.  Except, EA replaced long term subscribers with freemiums.  Not a good trade, IMO.  F2P players have no addition to the game, nothing meaningful to stick around for.

Xfire shows some of what I'm talking about.  Over a short period of time, values dopped.  Now this is likely made up with new players who don't use XFire.  The part to remember, is that the value dropped, meaning former subscribers are not playing.  The churn is high with SWTOR .. it's very risky.

• Nerfer84Nerfer84 Member UncommonPosts: 8

Disney, the company that once filed a DMCA against....wait for it....THEMSELVES!

Not to mention all the crap they pulled when they took over Marvel and went after fansites, i.e. hardcore customers.  Not holding my breath on the future of the Star Wars franchise.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

Source? =P

The NGE was SOE.

The NGE was LA. LA wanted SWG to improve to compete with WOW, and SOE coded the NGE, but if it was not for LA, the NGE would not have happened. Here is Julio Torres of Lucasarts talking cockily about how great the NGE will be

Everything from launch up until the NGE was the cause of LA. After that LA just left SOE to it.

As far as them not releasing JTL with the game, was not a problem as far as I am concerned, it just made the game more awesome later on. There was so much in game, that it was good just playing and getting used to the ground game. SWG was a MMO,to play for years and years, not a single player game to play for a few months.

• noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718

I am the original poster. Not only was the topic reported but Michael Bitton, who has been a vehement shill for SWTOR for the last four years, changed the title of the thread to make it less critical of Bioware and the game.

Your original title was wrong. It was changed to be more accurate. 

That's not his decision or yours to make. And in fact, it was not wrong: LucasArt will never make anoher SW MMO again.

• HazelleHazelle Member Posts: 760

On the NGE..

So enough with the crap.

Imagine if honesty was thrown out.

Hypothetically, Sony could have said:  Subs are below 300k, but more than 50k.

I prefer honesty, but it was those same candid quarterly results that fuels your argument.  EA doesn't provide any, how interesting?  Trash SOE for being honest .. praise EA for being ambiguous.

Those lawsuits ended how? Ah yes, they were baseless.

Blue: That is your opinion.  It's my alaysis that SWTOR did lose many players because of F2P.  They also gained some.  It was a major churn.  Except, EA replaced long term subscribers with freemiums.  Not a good trade, IMO.  F2P players have no addition to the game, nothing meaningful to stick around for.

Xfire shows some of what I'm talking about.  Over a short period of time, values dopped.  Now this is likely made up with new players who don't use XFire.  The part to remember, is that the value dropped, meaning former subscribers are not playing.  The churn is high with SWTOR .. it's very risky.

The lawsuits ended because SOE gave a refund to people that bought Trials of Obi-Wan.

SWTOR was bleeding subs faster than Pre-CU SWG.  They weren't bleeding those subs because of F2P they lost players because SWTOR is more like a multiplayer version of KOTOR than a MMORPG.  People had played out the content and had no reason to continue playing the character they created so they rolled an alt then another and so on until they hit their limit and quit since the game itself offers nothing meaningful to stick around for except the story they've made for you to play out which is the same story as everyone else that's your class or has played your class on an alt which is everyone around you.