Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Auto Block...

NC360NC360 Member Posts: 67

I noticed this post on the official forums:

"In regards to PvP:

Is it true that auto-block only blocks attacks other than feints? If so, how is one supposed to make use of a feint skill against an opponents block if the enemy's auto-block knows it's coming and chooses not to activate? And why would they add auto-block if it removes the use of feint, and even player skill? Is this game not at least somewhat PvP focused? Am I missing something?"

WTF... why is that in the game? Auto-block is found in the advanced options.

Comments

• AlamarethAlamareth Member UncommonPosts: 570
    Originally posted by NC360

"In regards to PvP:

Is it true that auto-block only blocks attacks other than feints? If so, how is one supposed to make use of a feint skill against an opponents block if the enemy's auto-block knows it's coming and chooses not to activate? And why would they add auto-block if it removes the use of feint, and even player skill? Is this game not at least somewhat PvP focused? Am I missing something?"

Non-issue, that poster is not familiar with the combat system.  All auto block does is put up a block when a character is not moving or executing an attack.  There is NO type of block that works against a feint. 

In fact, auto-blocking makes anticipating feints more difficult as you cannot de-activate with a simple click - you MUST move or use a skill.

So before you get all bent out of shape, please play the game a little more and improve your combat abilities.

If your feints are so obvious, everyone will let down their guard - it's all about mixing things up so you don't fall into a pattern. 

Yes, there are issues with lag.  Sometimes you can correctly predict a movement but be unable to do anything since your lag is 200ms+ - that's an issue that isn't related to auto block though.

• NC360NC360 Member Posts: 67
    Originally posted by Alamareth

"In regards to PvP:

Non-issue, that poster is not familiar with the combat system.  All auto block does is put up a block when a character is not moving or executing an attack.  There is NO type of block that works against a feint. 

In fact, auto-blocking makes anticipating feints more difficult as you cannot de-activate with a simple click - you MUST move or use a skill.

So before you get all bent out of shape, please play the game a little more and improve your combat abilities.

If your feints are so obvious, everyone will let down their guard - it's all about mixing things up so you don't fall into a pattern. 

Yes, there are issues with lag.  Sometimes you can correctly predict a movement but be unable to do anything since your lag is 200ms+ - that's an issue that isn't related to auto block though.

1) I never said that auto-block works while moving, though manual block doesn't allow for that much movement to begin with.

2) I never said there are types of blocks that work against feints. The quote is about how auto-blocks knows what is worth attempting to block, and what is not. Thereby making the use of a feint against someone blocking impossible. That is the point of the quote.

3) I guess a person could use a feint against someone standing still with auto-block, but it's just strange that someone using auto-block will never be blocking as you use it.

4) I'm not sure why you're talking about paterns, when the point is the use of a feint against a block, when the person is using auto-block. I'm not asking wether or not it is even effective. But why they would take this away from the game.

5) You say "Yes, there are issues with lag". Who are you talking to exactly? What assumptions have you made that I or the quote doesn't list? I think you are getting a little carried away.

Overall I don't think it's enough for me to not to end up playign the game, but it's clearly something that shouldn't exist in a PvP focused game.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Alamareth

"In regards to PvP:

1) I never said that auto-block works while moving, though manual block doesn't allow for that much movement to begin with.

Rebind you block off right click witch is also your turn :p 

2) I never said there are types of blocks that work against feints. The quote is about how auto-blocks knows what is worth attempting to block, and what is not. Thereby making the use of a feint against someone blocking impossible. That is the point of the quote.

That's not how it works. If you are attacked auto block comes up. It doesn't go up and down. Just up on attack. I like to through something and hope it's a bad player with auto block on, then break it with a feint.

3) I guess a person could use a feint against someone standing still with auto-block, but it's just strange that someone using auto-block will never be blocking as you use it.

see above 

4) I'm not sure why you're talking about paterns, when the point is the use of a feint against a block, when the person is using auto-block. I'm not asking wether or not it is even effective. But why they would take this away from the game.

see above above

5) You say "Yes, there are issues with lag". Who are you talking to exactly? What assumptions have you made that I or the quote doesn't list? I think you are getting a little carried away.

sometimes a person  with high ping will kinda trough things of because they are lagging. Funny things happen then.

Overall I don't think it's enough for me to not to end up playign the game, but it's clearly something that shouldn't exist in a PvP focused game.

Look at it a lil closer. Get a friend have them put auto block on so you can see how it works. 1st rebind you block, so you can move freely while in combat.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • NC360NC360 Member Posts: 67

Not sure what's so hard to understand. The point is simply whether or not auto-block will attempt to block a players feint or not. That is all.

Well there is one more point, and that is why auto-block would be in the game at all. This isn't an attack on the game, as I am wiling to put up with the things I don't like because of the good that I do, but rather that such things shouldn't be in a PvP focused game. And people would disagree with this statement? I'm amazed.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

I noticed this post on the official forums:"In regards to PvP:Is it true that auto-block only blocks attacks other than feints? If so, how is one supposed to make use of a feint skill against an opponents block if the enemy's auto-block knows it's coming and chooses not to activate? And why would they add auto-block if it removes the use of feint, and even player skill? Is this game not at least somewhat PvP focused? Am I missing something?"WTF... why is that in the game? Auto-block is found in the advanced options.

All ill replies, local fanbois do not know their game...

Problem is elsewhere. Autoblock only blocks targeted attacks but AOE. Funny part is that most Feint moves are AOE. The result is an opponent that can block all of your strong attacks(those are usually targeted) and you cannot break his blocks ever.

Unless your skillset has targeted Feint, you are fucked up.

AoW is awfully flawed in many ways, this is one of them.

• bambuchabambucha Member Posts: 19
     i believe they put it in game to help newbies, thats all. Once you get to serious pvp, having autoblock on is a really really bad idea :P
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

Well there is one more point, and that is why auto-block would be in the game at all. This isn't an attack on the game, as I am wiling to put up with the things I don't like because of the good that I do, but rather that such things shouldn't be in a PvP focused game. And people would disagree with this statement? I'm amazed.

Yeh, it's a silly feature for a game that is supposed to be pvp focused but maybe it's typical of Asian games? 

/shrug

Who knows?

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• AlamarethAlamareth Member UncommonPosts: 570

Untargeted feints will NOT trigger the autoblock, at least that is how it used to work.  So yes, that kind of hurts tangs a bit - considering so much of their dagger set matters on effective combo stacking.

I personally don't use autoblock, I do not find it even remotely useful.  Some people like it.  All depends on your playstyle.

However, in general - I do not find that is achieves any sort of advantage.  Even if untargeted feints still don't trigger it (not sure, I stopped using AB weeks ago), there are certain aspects that are so predictable that you can work around it.

Also, if you are going to attack us "fan boys" at least play the game.  Or, come find me in the game and I'll take you down a few pegs myself.