Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shroud of the Avatar: MMOFTW Live with Richard Garriott Tonight!

SBFordSBFord Associate Editor - News ManagerThe Land of AZPosts: 17,651MMORPG.COM Staff Uncommon

The MMOFTW Live team has a special guest tonight in the form of Richard Garriott who will be on hand to talk about Shroud of the Avatar. Join the fun in the Streams Channel at 9:00 pm EST / 6:00 pm PST tonight!

Associate Editor:
Follow me on Twitter: @MMORPGMom

• VorthanionVorthanion Laguna Vista, TXPosts: 2,226Member Uncommon
    I thought this was being designed as a single player / LAN type game?  Why do you guys keep following it as if it were an MMO?

• trancejeremytrancejeremy St. Louis, MOPosts: 1,222Member Uncommon

He's playing it very shady with this. He says it's going to be story focused, blah blah blah, but then later said that it never even occured to him that people would want to play it offline.

Basically he's trying to get all fans of his - either the Ultima fans or the Ultima Online fans, by promising everyone everything. 

This is going to be such a train wreck. He should have picked one or the other, but you can't have both in a game. The original Ultimas were about the exact opposite of Ultima Online.

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Managing Editor Berea, OHPosts: 2,593MMORPG.COM Staff Rare

The VOD is coming soon, and yes it's both offline (solo if you want) or online MMO (or even online solo if you desire).  Think sort of like Torchlight 2, how you can login and play online, with others (many others, not just a few like TL2 or D2) or alone.  But if you want, you can play entirely offline, like old Ultimas, but you can't then take that character online (for fear of cheating).  You can take your online character, and play him offline when you want, but the game "validates" your data when you go back online later on.  

It's very interesting, and really sounds like the best of both worlds.  

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• VorthanionVorthanion Laguna Vista, TXPosts: 2,226Member Uncommon
    It still doesn't sound like an MMO to me, but something more akin to Diablo or Starcraft through the service.  He makes it sound like you will never have more than a dozen or so people around you per instance, be they friends listed or pure strangers.  There is nothing massive about that.

• ForumPvPForumPvP KingstownPosts: 871Member
    Originally posted by Vorthanion
    I thought this was being designed as a single player / LAN type game?  Why do you guys keep following it as if it were an MMO?

Its Master Garriott man.

I would follow him even if he was making köttbullars.

Let's internet