Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Here is what I am telling all my friends....

NanulakNanulak Member UncommonPosts: 372

This is a no brainer.  You make a pledge of X dollars to get this game off the ground.  If the game does not meet the funding goal by the determined date the entire project is scrapped and you will never get charged for the pledge.  Nothing lost. 

If they meet the financial goal by the predetermined date they you are basically pre ordering the game and get a bunch of additional perks.

Example:  If your pledge was for $50 you would receive a digital copy of game with 60 days of subscription (at least $75 value), digital manual, digital strategy guide, extra 7 months of beta access and invitations to all stress tests.  Also one additional character slot, digital soundtrack, 25 founders points to spend on in game extras.  And many more in game benefits listed in the funding tier description. 

So basically for a $50 pledge you get at least a $100-$150 return….again, NO Brainer.

Nanulak

Comments

• ArcherBullseyeArcherBullseye Member Posts: 77

Isnt the client going to be free?

"·The client will be DRM-free and distributed via Torrent."

Do you think they will do Access Key's?

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by grogstorm

This is a no brainer.  You make a pledge of X dollars to get this game off the ground.  If the game does not meet the funding goal by the determined date the entire project is scrapped and you will never get charged for the pledge.  Nothing lost. 

If they meet the financial goal by the predetermined date they you are basically pre ordering the game and get a bunch of additional perks.

Example:  If your pledge was for $50 you would receive a digital copy of game with 60 days of subscription (at least $75 value), digital manual, digital strategy guide, extra 7 months of beta access and invitations to all stress tests.  Also one additional character slot, digital soundtrack, 25 founders points to spend on in game extras.  And many more in game benefits listed in the funding tier description. 

So basically for a $50 pledge you get at least a $100-$150 return….again, NO Brainer.

Unless they meet the goal and then spend too much of the budget on coke and hookers to complete it. At that point you have lost your investment.

It is definitely not a no brainer, you need to judge whether the people making the game have the ability to complete it for the money they are asking for.

I hope you do not give your friends financial advice.

• Alaya_AngelSoulAlaya_AngelSoul Member Posts: 27
    Count me in!

Alaya AngelSoul Domus Caliburn Guinevere
  • MasahikoKobeMasahikoKobe Member Posts: 51
    Originally posted by ArcherBullseye

Witcher is DRM free. Just saying

• Corinthian-XCorinthian-X Member Posts: 86
    Originally posted by ArcherBullseye

No the cleint isn't going to be free. It is going to be free of Digitial Rights Management. It has nothing to do with the game itself being free.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management

• EdanyEdany Member UncommonPosts: 179
    Originally posted by RefMinor

Unless they meet the goal and then spend too much of the budget on coke and hookers to complete it. At that point you have lost your investment.

It is definitely not a no brainer, you need to judge whether the people making the game have the ability to complete it for the money they are asking for.

Well, considering the founders of CSE are Mark Jacobs (DAoC) and Andrew Meggs, and DAoC was originally developed on a budget of $2.5M with the expectation that they 'might' sell 30k copies on release, I feel more than comfortable making the judgment call that this team will be able to deliver given half a chance.

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344

Unless they go build something different than what you assume the foundational principles are telling you they are going to build.

Doh! There I go being practical again...

• gylnnegylnne Member UncommonPosts: 322

Wow Grog some common sense in MMORPG forums? What is the world coming to.:P

• gylnnegylnne Member UncommonPosts: 322
    Originally posted by Edany

Well, considering the founders of CSE are Mark Jacobs (DAoC) and Andrew Meggs, and DAoC was originally developed on a budget of $2.5M with the expectation that they 'might' sell 30k copies on release, I feel more than comfortable making the judgment call that this team will be able to deliver given half a chance.

There ya go ahead Edany, making sense.:P

• EdanyEdany Member UncommonPosts: 179
    Starting to feel like Brittany Spears... "Ooops....." ;)
  • RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Edany

The fact the people behind it have a track record is a positive. However quoting the costs of a 10 year old game to judge the funding needed isn't necessarily an accurate portrayal of the costs to produce a modern game in 2013. 

I am not against Kickstarter, I threw £20 at Elite and will be ok if it hits the fan, but throwing money at CU is definitely not a "no brainer" as previously stated and a guaranteed return.