Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR - PvP in Game Update 2.0: Scum and Villainy

Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

New developer blog at: http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20130405

New Bolster

In Game Update 2.0, we are introducing a new Bolster system that will behave differently than what we currently have. You will still get a Bolster buff while in PvP areas and Warzones, but it will no longer be based purely off of character level. Currently, Bolster is setup to bring characters up to a set level of stats that are appropriate for entry-level PvP. The amount of stats given to a character is based on their level, more stats for lower level, to bring them up to this “entry-level” PvP base. At level 50 we stop bolstering characters, which you can see adds to the huge drop off of effectiveness once a character goes from 49 to 50. With Bolster, the most important change is that the stats are no longer granted on an assumption of stat power based on character level. Rather we look at each one of the Item Ratings (including the Mods, Augments, Armorings, etc. that go into the armor/weapon) of the current equipped gear and base the amount of stats given based on these values. The worse your items are the more stats you are given to get you to the base value we want every PvPer to be at.

This new Bolster system is not as linear as the previous iteration and contains a greater ability to tweak from our perspective, which should mean a much smoother PvP Leveling experience for all characters. If there is a point at which the gain is too high or too low we can quickly adjust it on a per stat, per item rating level basis. Better control means a better balance. We have that control now.

A tangent of this Bolster change is the adjustments to the Expertise stat. In Game Update 2.0, the maximum Expertise possible to have on your character will be 2018. Wearing a full set of any of the new PvP sets, War Hero, or Elite War Hero gear will put players at that 2018 expertise cap. In addition, Expertise no longer suffers from diminishing returns. The first point is as effective as the 2018th. Once you get your full set of PvP gear you will have the max of your ‘PvP stat’. Later sets will have more primary, secondary and tertiary stats and increasing these stats will be how PvPers gain power in PvP, rather than going after a pure PvP stat.

New Brackets

The new PvP brackets will be broken up as follows: Level 10-29, 30-54, 55 & 55 Ranked.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

Comments

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

Weird downtime... I guess it's a bow towards EU gamers...

On April 8th at 6PM PDT (April 9th, 1AM GMT) all game servers, SWTOR.com, and the launcher will be unavailable as we perform scheduled maintenance. Game Update 2.0 will be implemented during this downtime.

Details are as follows:
    Date: Monday April 8th- Tuesday April 9th
    Duration: 6 hours
    Time: April 8th, 6PM PDT (April 9th, 1AM GMT ) - April 9th, 12AM PDT (7AM GMT)

Not too happy about it... there goes my Monday night playtime... sigh I guess I will play SimCity LOL or EVE but it's sooo boring....

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Regardless of what time they choose to do it, a six hour downtime is going to anger someone. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by ktanner3
    Regardless of what time they choose to do it, a six hour downtime is going to anger someone. 

That's the well known fact... I would say that they are preparing for the worst case scenario that something will get screwed up, so they can extend downtime for many more hours...

Well... Tuesday is going to be exciting for me.... now I just have to decide which toon to level first.... I guess my Marauder and Knight to try both factions... and of course Empire first!!!!!!!

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    This seems like a good change. If there is one thing that I will say is fun in SWTOR it's the warzones, and tuning these is a good idea.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

On PVP wake me when it isn't STUN WARS and there is actually something to fight over.

• VymmVymm Member Posts: 112
    On PVP wake me when it isn't STUN WARS and there is actually something to fight over.

I hate to agree with such a simple statement but that is the issue I had with the game when I was playing.  The pvp felt forced and not well thought out.  Have they made signifigant advances to bring more balance.  I do support the idea of brackets and rankings at the highest end of the game.  Does this help a lot?  Worth coming to play some pvp here?

Vymm

• SBE1SBE1 Member UncommonPosts: 340
    What ever happened to Ilum?
  • BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    When talking about TOR, Scum and Villainy can only refer to EA management.
  • AhnogAhnog Member UncommonPosts: 240

If so then its time for a /ignore

Ahnog

Hokey religions are no replacement for a good blaster at your side.

Originally posted by SBE1
    What ever happened to Ilum?

There are the dailies,and the Gree event which spawns for two weeks on a regular schedule.

Ahnog

Originally posted by Vymm

I hate to agree with such a simple statement but that is the issue I had with the game when I was playing.  The pvp felt forced and not well thought out.  Have they made signifigant advances to bring more balance.  I do support the idea of brackets and rankings at the highest end of the game.  Does this help a lot?  Worth coming to play some pvp here?

Vymm

The PVP felt forced and not well thought out.

This is true of world pvp, but the instances have improve greatly.

Have they made significant advances to bring more balance.

Yes they have. The classes are constantly be adjusted to make it more even. 2.0 (drops tomorro) brings a bolster system so that if you are in a pvp instance armor is adjusted equally so that personal skills are what makes the difference.

Ranked Warzones

Not so good. They still haven't started season 1, and they haven't made any place where player accomplishments and team standings can be listed.

Is it worth it?

I would say it is. They are working to improve the RWZ and making adjustments where they need to make them to make pvp awesome.

Ahnog

Originally posted by Ahnog

Have they made significant advances to bring more balance.

Yes they have. The classes are constantly be adjusted to make it more even. 2.0 (drops tomorro) brings a bolster system so that if you are in a pvp instance armor is adjusted equally so that personal skills are what makes the difference.

The PVP in TOR is not even close to being balanced. Mercs and Commandoes have been gimped forever and no one even bothers to use them in warzones anymore. We'll see how the changes help but from what I'm readingg it hasn't helped those classes much at all due to lack of mobility or means of escape. 

• DavynelordDavynelord Member Posts: 122

I don't know about merc (don't have one) but of all my classes my commando feels like the worst for warzones....the problem I have with that class is that everything it does well forces you to remain stationary like a turret....all the best abilities are channeled or requires 2 - 3 second activation time, which means anytime you use them, you can't move at all or the ability gets cancelled.   Then your left with the worst damage abilities that you can do on the move...whether you heal or DPS, being stationary is where you power comes from.

Therefore in order to do anything well with commando in WZ's, you have to rely on your front line to occupy the enemy while you stand behind and do your thing like a turret.   The moment you get attention and/or focus fired and your marked for whatever reason, you can forget about doing as well as other classes can do after that.

For example, when my sage is marked as a healer or DPS, the classes is so powerful that I can always manage to do my thing even when focus fired upon.    Healing yourself with force armor, slows, roots, snares, knockbacks and with abiltiies that can cast twice as fast, tick twice as hard pushing your damage to the best in WZ's or no lower than top 3 every match....well commando can't compare to any of that.

As a healer, my scrapper is a better healer than commando.

As a DPS, any class is better than commando.

When it comes to defense, commando isn't even in the discussion.

When it comes to utility, they pretty much suck

When it comes to mobility, they suck

When it comes to guarding/defending turrets/doors, they can't do it by themselves

Why is it every time I see a commando healer in WZ, I end up having to heal him to keep him alive so he acan heal, LOL.

So yeah, commando is the worst PVP class from my experience.....Sage/Sorcerer are probably the most OP from the standpoint that no other class can step into WZ at level 14 or so and put up 200k damage when everybody else in the WZ is level 40+.    I did WZ from level 14 to 33 so far on my sage and 98% of the matches I did over 200k damage and 100k healing and was either 1st or 2nd in both damage and healing in every match I've played.   Not only that, but I was wearing level 19 - 25 green gears, no relics and the most shocking thing was I often when 30+ kills and no more than 3 deaths....I even had a stretch of 9 games in a row without a single death and averaging 30+ kills....and that was in every game mode.....

Also I've always had trouble scoring in huttball on my other classes (well guardian was pretty easy to score with once I got past level 40) but as soon as I stepped into huttball with my sage, I was scoring easily....force speed, force armor, heals, force wave and 2 CC's....man it was so easy.

After 2.0 update however, things got even easier...I now put up 400k damage and 200k healing as a balance sage....the day before I never broke 250k damage or 200k healing in a match (because I'm not a heal build).....my first WZ just 15 minutes after 2.0 went live, my first attack did something like 6k damage...wtf.   I never did more than 3k on any single hit before 2.0.

So for me, sage is just a beast in pvp...as long as you can keep the melee away and keep the DOTS off you, there really is only focus fire than can be a problem for sage/sorcerer....the ability to escape, heal up and jump back into the frey...man that is OP.

I also tried my vanguard, commando and guardian in 2.0 PVP...commando still stucks, vanguard still performs about the same to me (I didn't see much improvement personally) and guardian, meh they are a bit better now that alacrity improves the speed at which all abilities execute....felt like my guardian was executing skills faster...heck all my classes felt that way...but my sweep damage did lose about 200 - 300 damage....going from just over 4k to about 3800 was noticeable right away....and the fact that I can't stack singularities with force stasis anymore is disappointing, but then they let us have 25 second cooldown on combat focus now when still gives full stacks of singularity....so I guess it's a even tradeoff...I just use combat focus more and sunder strike (due to increased cooldown but don't have to stack it anymore)  and force stasis a lot less now.

Overall, I'd say WZ pvp is a bit better...feels like the game is sped up a bit...but level 50 players with WH and EWH gears kind of got the shaft since every sub-50 character automatically gets max recruit level expertise now...and the big thing is that it's applied whether you have gear on or not.....so that needs some balancing still and I suspect BW will modifty the expertise stat somehow...because it's kind of ridiculous for a level 31 to hit a level 51 player for 10k crits when the 51 is in EWH gear and the 31 is in level 29 greens LOL.

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937
    Just get naked.
  • tintilinictintilinic Member Posts: 283
    Originally posted by Davynelord
    snip

1. I did that much damage on sniper lvl10/vanguard with no sweat (before 2.0)

2. Who the f cares what a class can or cannot do at level 14? Thats why PvP is completely borked at max level. Only valid build for sage was bubble stun hybrid build, scrappers/ops crapped on them with healing and vanguards/knights/shadows melt any sage in 2-3 hits (except...ta-da....bubble stun hybrid). BUT to make it more funny, they reduced stun range so you HAD TO go in mellee range on top of all that lol. How much more stupid can it get ha ha

3. Did anyone hope they will actually fix anything in PvP? They already had 1 and a half year in which they made it worse with almost every patch. Now, after so many failures, people still hope they will actually fix something? *nuts*