Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

POLL: CU versus ESO - the rise of the RvR titans!

EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868

I'm very excited to see 3-way RvR making somewhat of a comeback, but I am having a tough time deciding between CU and ESO to lend my support.  Sure, I could support both, but I really want to just get lost in one.

Two games in development with RvR at their core design.  Curious to see which people are more drawn to. Let me know if this should go in general discussion.

ESO:

- Big budget (approx 300 million)

- Huge team (250+ devs)

- DAOC and Ultima Online Legacy (Matt Firor and Paul Sage, respectively)

- Highly customizable class-based skill system with separate weapon and racial trees

- Corporate overhead (non-indie)

- Possible money-only motivation (debatable)

- Possible release late 2013 early 2014

- Massive, storied franchise spanning almost 20 years of games, arguably the most popular SP RPG franchise to date, save maybe for Final Fantasy

- A jack-of-all-trades design, with lots of outlets for PvE, crafting as well as PvP

CU:

- Small budget (approx 5 million)

- Small team

- DAOC and Warhammer Online Legacy (Mark Jacobs)

- Rigid class system with specfic crafter class

- Indie game (little/no overhead)

- Passion-driven

- Release could still be a few years away

- Single spiritual ancestor in DAOC with no franchise attachment

- Fully PvP focused design

Comments

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Honestly, ESO does not interest me in the slightest. It works well for a single player dungeon crawler, but as an MMO? I don't think its a good idea with what they are showing so far.
  • meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Easy. Donate to the CU Kickstarter then sign up to beta test TESO. If you like AvA in TESO, then buy it when it comes out later this year and play it until CU comes out. TESO is your standard PvE game with RvR tacked on like GW 2, so I don't have high hopes for it. Levels and PvE gear will play a role in your AvA success. Plus the ability bar system sounds like the same kind of limited FPS/console system I strongly dislike from GW 2. But maybe it will surprise and be a lot of fun. That would be a pleasant change.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    3 things that ruin an mmo for me. The phasing, instancing, and mega server are all reasons I can't see myself buying ESO.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• SorninSornin Member Posts: 1,133
    Originally posted by Tayah
    3 things that ruin an mmo for me. The phasing, instancing, and mega server are all reasons I can't see myself buying ESO.

Exactly. I hope ESO does well, but it is not for me because the ongoing conflict means nothing. It is all instanced, so there is no pride, no reason to take a huge interest. It is a game, not a war.

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344

I don't think we should compare a fully-funded game that is playable with an unfunded game that is essentially "on paper" except for a questionable tech demo and some other videos that are nothing more then PowerPoint slides.

It's a little early for a comparison.

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by Sornin

Exactly. I hope ESO does well, but it is not for me because the ongoing conflict means nothing. It is all instanced, so there is no pride, no reason to take a huge interest. It is a game, not a war.

I feel like that too about the war, it will end up feeling like GW2 where it's more of a sport than an actual meaningful fight.

But will CU's engine be able to handle hundreds, possibly thousands of people fighting in one area?

• OgrelinOgrelin Member Posts: 636

I'll play both, but ESO isn't a Kickstarter so I'll just buy it when it is available :)

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

I had to go with CU because I don't think ESO will last that long. From the recent news about it, it seems they are gearing up for another mmo to be fun for a few months and than it will die off. I will most likely purchase ESO anyway because I like the ES world being made into a 3 way war, but I don't think they are going as far into the war as I would like and it seems they are making just a feature. ESO is being made with a ton more money and they have to try and capture a bigger audience, doing that they will suffer in alot of areas with being mediocre at everything instead of having 1 or 2 strong points. The fan base also is a big let down from what I have seen so far with ESO and really feel it will be another GW2 type game with little interaction between players and more on the focus of being solo and silent.

CU the community so far is above and beyond anything I have seen for ESO. I think it will last alot longer and have a better feel of actually being part of something. Not much really else to say about CU as the game is still at its infancy but from just seeing the community and where CSE wants to go with it was enough for me to throw $110 to try and make it a reality.

Originally posted by topographic

I don't think we should compare a fully-funded game that is playable with an unfunded game that is essentially "on paper" except for a questionable tech demo and some other videos that are nothing more then PowerPoint slides.

Fair enough, was just curious to see how people were feeling at this stage.

• OldskooOldskoo Member UncommonPosts: 189

He's right here. I like the idea of CU more than ESO's implementation of RvR as we know it currently, but it is a bit unfair to compare CU to ESO at this stage. I love the concept of CU, but it is still just right now. That said, I didn't vote and think this poll is more likely to invite more unwanted attention here than anything. 

• kostoslavkostoslav Member UncommonPosts: 455
    What makes CU a Titan? In this stage CU is a make believe story.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Entinerint

How does wording such as Rigid class system vs A well-rounded design seem like a balanced setup?  Seems like you are biasing this in favor of ESO.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344
    Originally posted by waynejr2

How does wording such as Rigid class system vs A well-rounded design seem like a balanced setup?  Seems like you are biasing this in favor of ESO.

Where are you getting "well-rounded design" from?

• morfidonmorfidon Member Posts: 245

I'd like ESO but yea this is the thing that makes it bad for me and what's more the combat sytem looks horrible.

• OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376

I like CU's focus on RvR only. I've never been much of a PvE'er (though I'd love to see a Darkness Falls style dungeon in CU). Also ESO is making heavy use of phasing, that's a massive turn-off. And I'm not really a fan of ESO's mouse click based combat system. Nor am I keen on the mega-server. I like smaller communities that get established on individual servers.

I may end up playing ESO to pass the time, but CU is what I'm really waiting for.

Am I wrong?  I'll for sure edit it if there's evidence to the contrary.

Also those aren't comparative.  The Well-rounded design is compared with CU's PvP focus, not with the class system.  Well-rounded isn't necessarily a good thing, some people prefer a focused design, instead of a jack-of-all-trades.  I'll change the wording, to jack-of-all-trades.

EDIT: done

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Easy choice for me: ESO is real, CU is yet another KS wishfulware project.

On a side note about Kickstarter...

In my opinion--notice the use of the word opinion--there is something sleazy about using Kickstarter to prey on the hopes and dreams of MMO gamers to raise capital to fund a for-profit venture.

The standard in the real world is that when you ask potential investors--be it one or very many-- for money, you promise a profitable return on the investment. It's up to the investor to asses the risk and decide whether they will take the risk or not.

MMO kickstarters all have one thing in common: the goal of the campaign is to raise money in order to create a product that will return a profit. Except the investors in this case are being offered goods in virtual space and no profit sharing. Any profits will go to the individual or company that created the KS campaign.

I would have no issue with KS MMO projects if they offered a "piece of the action." But, to my knowledge, none do. The best you get is the possibility of getting your money back in the form of virtual digital goods or an equivalent amount of subscription time. And even that is highly questionable since the goods and services only have a potential future value that may be as characterized or much less depending on the eventual outcome when the game is released...if it's ever released.

You can also look at KS MMO projects as supporting "starving artists", I suppose. If you have unlimited dispossable income and wish to do this, by all means do so. But if that's what KS MMO projects are all about, why even have tiered rewards? Just give them money and wish them well.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• MasahikoKobeMasahikoKobe Member Posts: 51
    This isnt hate on ESO, however, i will bet a large amount of dosh that the RvR in that game is overegineered.

Apologies for the double thread, putting it here is a much better solution for sure.  Should have thought of that in the first place /derp.

Thanks to Varross for taking care of it.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,202
    Kickstarter has a very high vapourware to finished product ratio.  It's pointless to enthuse or debate about something that will very likely never be released.
  • ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

ESO will definitely be another flavor-of-the-month game. That is obvious to anyone who has followed news of it on these forums. ESO hasn't taken any direction different compared to other flop MMOs released in the past few years.

But, they are probably banking on the fairly large ES audience and hoping those consumers buy the game without researching it. That alone might win them enough $ to recoup dev costs.

Caveot emptor

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• eldariseldaris Member UncommonPosts: 353

Elder scrolls online for now. Depends on how things go I will like to try CU too if the combat is interesting enough and not a copy of an old and out of date system with 20 s or more of crowd control.It would be interesting to see if the developers can deliver a successful game and not repeat the mistakes made with warhammer.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Where are you getting "well-rounded design" from?

It was a cut and paste from the OP.  Something has changed since to remove that.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,384
    Originally posted by kostoslav

This is what I am feeling. We know so little about this game. Hard to make such a vs thread off of paper hype. Seems silly in a way.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Originally posted by MMOExposed
    Originally posted by kostoslav

This is what I am feeling. We know so little about this game. Hard to make such a vs thread off of paper hype. Seems silly in a way.

True, but I'm just asking which has people more excited or interested, not whether one is vaporware or not.