Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

POLL: CU versus ESO - the rise of the RvR titans!

EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868

I'm very excited to see 3-way RvR making somewhat of a comeback, but I am having a tough time deciding between CU and ESO to lend my support.  Sure, I could support both, but I really want to just get lost in one.

Two games in development with RvR at their core design.  Curious to see which people are more drawn to. Let me know if this should go in general discussion.

ESO:

- Big budget (approx 300 million)

- Huge team (250+ devs)

- DAOC and Ultima Online Legacy (Matt Firor and Paul Sage, respectively)

- Highly customizable class-based skill system with separate weapon and racial trees

- Corporate overhead (non-indie)

- Possible money-only motivation (debatable)

- Possible release late 2013 early 2014

- Massive, storied franchise spanning almost 20 years of games, arguably the most popular SP RPG franchise to date, save maybe for Final Fantasy

- A jack-of-all-trades design, with lots of outlets for PvE, crafting as well as PvP

CU:

- Small budget (approx 5 million)

- Small team

- DAOC and Warhammer Online Legacy (Mark Jacobs)

- Rigid class system with specfic crafter class

- Indie game (little/no overhead)

- Passion-driven

- Release could still be a few years away

- Single spiritual ancestor in DAOC with no franchise attachment

- Fully PvP focused design

Comments

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

both.

plus, one will release far before the other.

• walltarwalltar Member Posts: 58
    Since i enjoy both PvP and PvE then i am more interested to ESO, but seeing thet CU is quite some time away id say i am going to play both. I don't think that eso does have longetivity (it is themepark) to be played until CU release anyways.
  • RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Duplicate thread, please close this down / edit* same post different forum
  • EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by Wakygreek

It's in both to find a concensus without confirmation bias.

Hrm, guess it should just go to the main general discussion since it deals with two games, huh?

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Easy choice: ESO is real, CU is yet another KS wishfulrware project.

On a side note about Kickstarter...

In my opinion--notice the use of the word opinion--there is something sleazy about using Kickstarter to prey on the hopes and dreams of MMO gamers to raise capital to fund a for-profit venture.

The standard in the real world is that when you ask potential investors--be it one or very many-- for money, you promise a profitable return on the investment. It's up to the investor to asses the risk and decide whether they will take the risk or not.

MMO kickstarters all have one thing in common: the goal of the campaign is to raise money in order to create a product that will return a profit. Except the investors in this case are being offered goods in virtual space and no profit sharing. Any profits will go to the individual or company that created the KS campaign.

I would have no issue with KS MMO projects if they offered a "piece of the action." But, to my knowledge, none do. The best you get is the possibility of getting your money back in the form of virtual digital goods or an equivalent amount of subscription time. And even that is highly questionable since the goods and services only have a potential future value that may be as characterized or much less depending on the eventual outcome when the game is released...if it's ever released.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Originally posted by Entinerint

Hrm, guess it should just go to the main general discussion since it deals with two games, huh?

I didnt realize it was in a different forum, I thought it was double posted that was my bad. But yeah I think this would be best put in the general discussion forum. My 2 cents

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by Entinerint

I didnt realize it was in a different forum, I thought it was double posted that was my bad. But yeah I think this would be best put in the general discussion forum. My 2 cents

I'll see about petitioning a moderator about it.

• VarossVaross Moderator UncommonPosts: 11,414
    Moved one of the threads to the Pub.  Locking this one.
    To give feedback on moderation, please contact [email protected]
This discussion has been closed.