Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If I don't like the Elder Scrolls games (at all), would I like this?

TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321

I'm not a fan of open world/sandboxy games. Too open and I get lost too easily. Like I got Skyrim (luckily for Xbox360, all I had to do was have my friend let me borrow is copy...didn't even have to buy it)...but 1 hour in I was so lost. There was the main quest, but once I was done with that...why didn't the game just end? And I was so overwhelmed with everything.

I did like the races/lore. But, the games (even Morrowind and Oblivion)...not so much. Oblivion was better than Skyrim though for me, and Morrowind was my least favorite. That was even WAY more confusing than Skyrim.

So with that said...from whats been revealed of Elder Scrolls Online...would this be more an MMO for me? Less overwhelming, and more a set path like WoW is? (WoW is my favorite MMO, very straight forward game).

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Comments

• SentnlSentnl Member Posts: 73
    ES is rubbish, this is an mmorpg. Yes you will like it.

I sometimes play under the alias "Exposed". Don't tell anybody.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    The world is bigger since its an mmorpg, its all those games lands put in one...but dont worry its the usual themepark type questing most likely so you will be hand helded through out the whole game through its quest.  Or maybe western rpgs arent for you in general?  Is this even a serious thread/post? cuz its kinda funny...
    Originally posted by Sentnl

If ES is rubbish why did they choose this IP to make an mmorpg out of instead of something else or just making one up?

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by TheScavenger

I'm not a fan of open world/sandboxy games. Too open and I get lost too easily. Like I got Skyrim (luckily for Xbox360, all I had to do was have my friend let me borrow is copy...didn't even have to buy it)...but 1 hour in I was so lost. There was the main quest, but once I was done with that...why didn't the game just end? And I was so overwhelmed with everything.

I did like the races/lore. But, the games (even Morrowind and Oblivion)...not so much. Oblivion was better than Skyrim though for me, and Morrowind was my least favorite. That was even WAY more confusing than Skyrim.

So with that said...from whats been revealed of Elder Scrolls Online...would this be more an MMO for me? Less overwhelming, and more a set path like WoW is? (WoW is my favorite MMO, very straight forward game).

Well games like Skyrim can be as linear as you want them to be.  Why anyone would only play the main storyline is beyond me but the point stands.

I honestly doubt you would find interest in ESO and sticking to WoW clones may be better suited to your sensibilities since you are led down a path from character generation to level cap.  My advice is to try it, if it suits you continue to play but by the blessed graces of the Nine, do not use your opinions of not liking the structure of the game to advocate for its failure as so many on these forums do.  Just quit the game and chalk up to poor planning or not heeding my very gracious advice to not play in the first place.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Originally posted by tkreep

If ES is rubbish why did they choose this IP to make an mmorpg out of instead of something else or just making one up?

Why did EA/Bioware chose star wars? There's already an established market for the product.

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959

to be honest, there is no way of telling all i really got about your post was that you where confused early in and lost, that dousnt tell me much about what kinda games you like.

also since this game isnt out it will also b hard to tell you if you will like it till i have played it a bit, and most beta players cant really speak due to the NDA ( not sure if it in effect still or not )

my sugesstion is wait a month or more after it comes out to find out what other are saying and check out some U tube vids on it before you get it

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

Why did EA/Bioware chose star wars? There's already an established market for the product.

And why is there a established market for both of those IPs...? Prolly cuz its not rubbish...so your saying Star Wars IP is rubbish too? I mean its your opinion of course but ya an opinion.

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959

you sir are asking for a ahmmer fall. although there is a giant argument about ESO, most of those said people luv the ES IP.

honestly if you think ES is rubbish i shudder to think what you think is a actual good game.

whats more dont bother responding to this cause i wont be to you agian, since im half certain your a troll.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

And why is there a established market for both of those IPs...? Prolly cuz its not rubbish...so your saying Star Wars IP is rubbish too? I mean its your opinion of course but ya an opinion.

I'll just pretend you aren't comparing the star wars franchise, to elder scrolls :)

• AnakamiAnakami Member Posts: 103

Hm, interesting question. I'd say, if you don't like Elder Scrolls at all, you will only have to rely on the devs delivering a solid MMO experience. And I think they are going to do that. From what I heard you advance through zones appropriate for your level and within these zones you will find lots of quests, although not necessarily only in quest hubs but spread over the whole zone. I don't think that you will get lost as they will very likely have some sort of quest tracker for your main story line quest and also some rough indicators for other quests.

In short: If you only care about a good MMO experience you will probably have some fun with this game :)

I'll just pretend you aren't comparing the star wars franchise, to elder scrolls :)

Star Wars is more popular and have much more background but how can you deny ES also has a significant amount of popularity among gamers and a well established lore?  To call it rubbish is an insult to some of us.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

While I don't agree in the least that TES is "rubbish", I never really get very far into them because of the fact that I mainly enjoy MMOs nowadays due to the social aspect.  Single player games don't grab me like they used to, no matter how great the lore is.. it's lonely and depressing.  So in effect, you may enjoy TESO because there are other people to do things with.  If you hate the lore or fantasy in general, you may not enjoy it.  I've never played it, but after watching videos, I feel like I have.  I still intend to give it a shot, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything new... another reason you might not like it, if you're into that sort of thing.

Star Wars is more popular and have much more background but how can you deny ES also has a significant amount of popularity among gamers and a well established lore?  To call it rubbish is an insult to some of us.

That's fine and all, I enjoy some good lore, the dwemer myserty is great. I'm just saying ESO will be better than the single player ES games, even if only because it's an mmo.

• WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599

How can you not like Skyrim?

It has to be the Best RPG since FF7...

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868

Well considering that TES is the second largest RPG franchise in the world, behind only Final Fantasy, I think you'll find yourself in the minority, frankly.

That said, I think it will be different enough that you might enjoy it but if you were to tell us more about why you dislike TES (aside from, it's too open and gives me too many options, because ESO will probably feel the same way) then maybe people could give you some constructive feedback.

Do you prefer a connect-the-dots or hub-based approach, or like a fully linear corridor experience?

I think if WoW if your favorite MMO you will hate this.  Unlike WoW you actually have to play this game and pay attention, you can't just macro your way through it while watching TV.

It's also hilarious to me that you like Oblivion most, Skyrim second and Morrowind least, which is usually the exact opposite of what most people say.  This makes me start smelling troll...hehehe.

Originally posted by WellzyC

Well that explains a lot.  I thought FF7 was overrated.  Well, the characters anyway..

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by Eir_S

Well that explains a lot.  I thought FF7 was overrated.  Well, the characters anyway..

I prefer Skyrim to any Final Fantasy game really, FF7 was good for its time, but it really doesn't hold up like, say Morrowind does.

Originally posted by Entinerint

I prefer Skyrim to any Final Fantasy game really, FF7 was good for its time, but it really doesn't hold up like, say Morrowind does.

Yeah, I actually thought of Morrowind when I saw the "Best RPG since.." comment, but opinions are opinions.  The best part about Morrowind is that it can be modded.  FF7 will always be chunky.  Remakes don't count.  It's just the first game I can remember being disappointed in after having high hopes.  Guess I bought the hype lol

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

From the looks of things it seems like the races and lore will be the bulk of what TESO retains from the Elder Scrolls series. Many of the mechanics and design are more in line with other MMOs rather than to TES games. 

Think of it as a typical MMO with some newer features and mechanics with TES races and lore. 

If your a fan of MMOs in general you will likely enjoy TESO, if you are a TES fan (in my opinion) it is less likely that you will enjoy TESO. 

Yeah, I actually thought of Morrowind when I saw the "Best RPG since.." comment, but opinions are opinions.  The best part about Morrowind is that it can be modded.  FF7 will always be chunky.  Remakes don't count.  It's just the first game I can remember being disappointed in after having high hopes.  Guess I bought the hype lol

I love elder scrolls but none of the story is as memorable to me as Final Fantasy 6 and 7 story...none of the elder scrolls story ever had an emotional impact on me as with most western rpgs.  IMO Xenogears was the best rpg and the first Mass Effect second.  And I dont think  I have played a rpg that had as story as deep complex as xenogears which was also another squaresoft game.

Final Fantasy 7 got a CGI movie and tons of other spinoffs its a lot more popular around the world and the Final Fantasy IP in general is a lot more popular than ES IP.  In the end you cant realy compare the two since they are both different types of RPGs a JRPG is very different from a western rpg.  Final Fantasy 7 had more memorable characters.  Whos ever gonna forget Sephiroth lol.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79

From the looks of things it seems like the races and lore will be the bulk of what TESO retains from the Elder Scrolls series. Many of the mechanics and design are more in line with other MMOs rather than to TES games. 

Think of it as a typical MMO with some newer features and mechanics with TES races and lore. 

If your a fan of MMOs in general you will likely enjoy TESO, if you are a TES fan (in my opinion) it is less likely that you will enjoy TESO. 

Actually, this is contrary to the opinion of the vast majority of people who have had 1/2 hour or more in the game. The consensus seems tobe that they have captured the "feel" of the TES games in ESO.

There are many things here that are not the standard MMO fare: separate advancement progression for class, armor, weapon and even guild skills resulting in unique combinations. This seems very TES-like to me.

They are also taking care to avoid a linear guided progression on rails. They describe their game play as "distraction based" in that it's built to allow you to explore what you want and along the way you will encounter events and quests. That also seems to me to be very TES like.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by Iselin
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79

Actually, this is contrary to the opinion of the vast majority of people who have had 1/2 hour or more in the game. The consensus seems tobe that they have captured the "feel" of the TES games in ESO.

There are many things here that are not the standard MMO fare: separate advancement progression for class, armor, weapon and even guild skills resulting in unique combinations. This seems very TES-like to me.

They are also taking care to avoid a linear guided progression on rails. They describe their game play as "distraction based" in that it's built to allow you to explore what you want and along the way you will encounter events and quests. That also seems to me to be very TES like.

I can't get into this discussion fully just yet, but I've had more than a 1/2 hour in game and most that I've discussed this with all having 1/2 hour or more in game tend to agree with what I said, at least in the places I'm currently discussing the game. We will have to wait to discuss it further though.