Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will this be for me?

MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268

Hey guys.

I love PvP. I prefer PvP.

camelot unchained sounds very nice. But for you fans that has alot info, would this be a game for me?

- can I be casual and progress a little?

- Do I need to be a crafter and craft with others to get better gear?

- Am I depended on having friends playing the game?

Comments

• VanshoodieVanshoodie Member Posts: 34
    This game will require people to be social. No you do not have to craft. There will be crafter classes for that. If you wish to craft you can minor in it but will not be able to master. Crafting is where gear comes from so you will be required to interact with crafters to obtain your gear. Friends would be helpful to have since it will be all open world RVR.
  • MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268

Social often means:

Content will be available for hardcore users (like raiding in WoW. I know it is a joke now in WoW though, but old school WoW where you raided).

Sounds like this game is not for me. I like the idea, but I fear I won't have the time it demands, when you have a relation a job and a house.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    If you can create a forum thread, this game is for you...apparently. Good luck with the game.
  • evil13evil13 Member CommonPosts: 359

It's PvP - you go and you kill, that's all there is to it. Do you need other people? Well, clearly it's easier to kill with a group (or a zerg) than solo, but no.

Given the wide variety of play styes that exist(ed) in DAOC, everything from huge 3 way zerg fights to 8v8 to small group and solo CSE would be foolish not to allow for the same variety in CU.

So yes, if you enjoy pvp then this game is for you (unless by pvp you mean ganking people 50 levels lower than you while yelling about how awesome you are, then no)

• Ronald88Ronald88 Member UncommonPosts: 56

I have a question to. And that is: How much PVE, do you think there will be. I like PVP verry much and i know  the game is RVR focused. But you will need money for buying gear ( i dont like to craft ), so i think i have read somewhere that there will be no quests. Is that true ?

• tleartlear Member Posts: 142
    All depends on your pain tolerance if can handle being run over by zergs and small groups and just do solo, if you can not then probably not. You wil not be spoon fed challenges you can win in this game
  • meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Is this the mentally deficient troll thread or something? Why don't you guys go to the Kickstarter page and read all the Foundational Principles? Those will answer your questions pretty well if you even care.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• SorninSornin Member Posts: 1,133
    Originally posted by Ronald88

I have a question to. And that is: How much PVE, do you think there will be. I like PVP verry much and i know  the game is RVR focused. But you will need money for buying gear ( i dont like to craft ), so i think i have read somewhere that there will be no quests. Is that true ?

You will get loot and such from RvR itself; Mark mentioned the game will track and reward your actions you take on behalf of your realm. This may be in the form of currency rewards, which can then pay crafters.

In other words, you should be able to gear up without crafting or PvE. You may need to interact with other crafters to make the stuff for you, but you yourself will not need to craft.

• ZarthuxZarthux Member Posts: 28
    The thing with Vanilla WoW raiding (and most PvE progression) was that it was an instanced 40 man dungeon that required coordinating all of those people to sit down at the exact same time and progress through an area together in a certain amount of time before it all respawned. Whereas, this game is supposed to have an open world environment where anyone can run in and help. Yes there will be those hardcore players that are all guilded up but there is nothing stopping a group of players from joining alongside those players.

Look at Planetside 2 or WAR (in its hayday) or DOTA style games, there are hardcore players but the community as a whole functions well because of the efforts of the "casual."

I myself work 40 hour weeks and have real life things, but nothing should stop me and my future "more casual" guild from having fun and coordinating large scale battles with the "more hardcore" player base.

Past: WoW, WAR, SWTOR, and too many others
    Future: Camelot Unchained

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    PVE a non-factor in this game.  It's a PVP game.  If you don't like games with little to no PVE, then this game might not be a fit.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ

Hey guys.

camelot unchained sounds very nice. But for you fans that has alot info, would this be a game for me?

based on the info you learn about the game that question can only be answered by you. Being a PvP only mmo i can safely say it is not for me. CU has a good vision on focusing only on the PvP audience and crafting around PvP so all the effort and resources they would otherwise use for PvE it is used here for PvP.

Id love to see something similar in a game but focused on PvE only (and maybe 1 on 1 duels for fun, nothing more)

• FoggyeFoggye Member UncommonPosts: 96

Hey guys.

Maybe.  Mark is going to try to make the difference between someone fresh off the boat vs. a veteran possible, just not probable.  There's no PVE leveling, so you can PvP right away.  You can play casually a bit,  it's not a realistic expectation that you're gonna win 1v1 against a veteran often.  Though, it's not a 1v1 game.  You can certainly join a keep take casually, defenses, etc.

The economy will be player driven.  There's a crafter class in the game that's going to make all the gear in the game.  As you pvp you'll make money, which you'll in turn around go find a crafter and purchase whatever he's offering.  If you're lookin to be more casual, having your own crafter might not be as good as someone whom is dedicated day in and day out to it.

This is a community game.  The PvP guys are going to have to relay on the Crafters for gear, while the Crafters will have to relay on the Fighters for resources.  So yes, you'll need to communicate with those around you.  I'm not saying it's impossible to solo, but that's not the kind of game that the dev team wants to make.  The point of RvR is being a member of the community, your realm, and better your realm by kicking ass, crafting, and/or socializaing.

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430

I'll put it other way around: Do i have to PvP if i want to be a crafter, and can i even do PvP as a crafter?

How much content there is for someone who's not into PvP?

• ZiftylrhavicZiftylrhavic Member Posts: 222

Hey guys.

You can be casual and progress :

"We want to create a system where a high level character is better than he was, better…faster…stronger… than a low level player but it should also not be a system (if we want to have a truly open world) where the high level player sneezes and the low level player is scattered to the four winds."

(http://camelotunchained.com/en/top-ten-questions-no-realm-ranks-abilities-what/)

So you won't have to worry about being a casual player.

You do not need to craft for this game. As stated in previous posts, you will be able to buy some gear with a little social interaction.

You will probably not depend on friends to play the game. The aim is to have a great comunity, and as any player that has pride in his realm, any realm mate will help you to get better and to do some good fights.

Now we have to wait and see if there is a good comunity, but from what i can read it seems like it'll be fine^^

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268
    Originally posted by Ziftylrhavic

Hey guys.

You can be casual and progress :

"We want to create a system where a high level character is better than he was, better…faster…stronger… than a low level player but it should also not be a system (if we want to have a truly open world) where the high level player sneezes and the low level player is scattered to the four winds."

(http://camelotunchained.com/en/top-ten-questions-no-realm-ranks-abilities-what/)

So you won't have to worry about being a casual player.

You do not need to craft for this game. as stated in previous posts, you will be able to buy some gear with a little social interaction.

You will probably not depend on friends to play the game. The aim is to have a great comunity, and as any player that has pride in his realm, any realm mate will help you to get better and to do some good fights.

Now we have to wait and see if there is a good comunity, but from what i can read it seems like it'll be fine^^

Thanks Ziftylrhavic, that was the answer I was looking for.

Originally posted by Foggye

This is a community game.  The PvP guys are going to have to relay on the Crafters for gear, while the Crafters will have to relay on the Fighters for resources.  So yes, you'll need to communicate with those around you.  I'm not saying it's impossible to solo, but that's not the kind of game that the dev team wants to make.  The point of RvR is being a member of the community, your realm, and better your realm by kicking ass, crafting, and/or socializaing.

That's true. But i think it won't penalize casual player (if you ever meant it that way), because of a specific way of thinking i think the veterans should have, if they have pride in their realm :

After playing to the game for so long (if you didn't then you are not a veteran ^^), you pretty much attained the best you could do, and so did your enemies. The main factor in the fight to get an edge over the other realms is then how well the new players improve. That's why those veteran will help those new players to handle the game, and facilitate their integration.

And as a casual player, either you'll make friends over time that'll play with you when you show up, either you'll be mistaken for a new player that needs some help. You should be able to then easily find a group or play solo according to your mood and/or playstyle^^

Originally posted by deniter

I'll put it other way around: Do i have to PvP if i want to be a crafter, and can i even do PvP as a crafter?

How much content there is for someone who's not into PvP?

We don't know much about the crafter class yet, but it seems you will have to go out into the contested area to craft good gear. However, it seems like the crafters won't have any fighting power, or very limited one, so you'll only have to worry about getting away while your allies protect you.

As for doing PvP as a crafter, you'll be the one making siege weapons, traps, and wall repairs/saping during a siege. It should be very interesting, and you won't have to do it if it doesn't interest you. You won't be able to really fight in open fields though.

Originally posted by Ziftylrhavic

Thanks Ziftylrhavic, that was the answer I was looking for.

You are welcome :)

• tauraktaurak Member Posts: 174
    Originally posted by rojo6934

Hey guys.

based on the info you learn about the game that question can only be answered by you. Being a PvP only mmo i can safely say it is not for me. CU has a good vision on focusing only on the PvP audience and crafting around PvP so all the effort and resources they would otherwise use for PvE it is used here for PvP.

Id love to see something similar in a game but focused on PvE only (and maybe 1 on 1 duels for fun, nothing more)

Omg a PvE game with no loot drops? I somehow don't think that'd work out too well. Why would you kill bosses? e-peen points?

As for the origional poster, I think the game would be for you, yes.

In DAoC at least, you didn't have to be in an Uber Guild just to be able to join the PvP battles, and I'm sure it will be that way here too. You won't have to join up with a large group of friends from another video game to be able to enjoy this one. Your realm will be a big community of people who work together for the common goal of kicking some butt, and I'm very very sure that the common internet troll will gain a bad reputation very quickly and not be invited.

I know in Everquest one, if you acted like a typical WoW player, you got blacklisted, nobody wanted to group with you ever again.

If you acted cool and contributed to the team then you made a new friend in almost every group you ever joined. Same wil be true here. The game is built around a social model in a way that it almost forces you to have to mke friends, which is GREAT!

I can honestly say that I leveled from 1-90 in World of Warcraft without making one single friend. Raided without making a single friend, and quit the game, with no friends. They abandoned the social parts of the MMORPG genre, and made them forgotten, and most recent games have followed the trend, in an attempt to be the next WoW.

• Corinthian-XCorinthian-X Member Posts: 86

Social often means:

Content will be available for hardcore users (like raiding in WoW. I know it is a joke now in WoW though, but old school WoW where you raided).

Sounds like this game is not for me. I like the idea, but I fear I won't have the time it demands, when you have a relation a job and a house.

The main difference is that raids in WoW and other games of that ilk are instanced and exclusive. You could bring 40 people, no more. In the open world RvR setting there won't be those artificial limits. There were plenty of nights in DAoC when it was just me or me and one or two friends. Its pretty easy to run around with other people in the same situation or join the zerg. You aren't going to be automatically shut out of RvR because you are alone or in a very small group.

Originally posted by taurak
    Originally posted by rojo6934

Hey guys.

Omg a PvE game with no loot drops? I somehow don't think that'd work out too well. Why would you kill bosses? e-peen points?

As for the origional poster, I think the game would be for you, yes.

In DAoC at least, you didn't have to be in an Uber Guild just to be able to join the PvP battles, and I'm sure it will be that way here too. You won't have to join up with a large group of friends from another video game to be able to enjoy this one. Your realm will be a big community of people who work together for the common goal of kicking some butt, and I'm very very sure that the common internet troll will gain a bad reputation very quickly and not be invited.

I know in Everquest one, if you acted like a typical WoW player, you got blacklisted, nobody wanted to group with you ever again.

If you acted cool and contributed to the team then you made a new friend in almost every group you ever joined. Same wil be true here. The game is built around a social model in a way that it almost forces you to have to mke friends, which is GREAT!

I can honestly say that I leveled from 1-90 in World of Warcraft without making one single friend. Raided without making a single friend, and quit the game, with no friends. They abandoned the social parts of the MMORPG genre, and made them forgotten, and most recent games have followed the trend, in an attempt to be the next WoW.

Well, you won't go kill a boss, unless you like PvE^^

And it doesn't bother me at all. I view PvE pretty much the same way than a console game : once you did it that's all. There is no fun in doing it again ten time after.

I agree with the rest of the post, that's why this game has so much hype, it'll be the first game since DAoC to have a good RvR and good community. And DAoC got out 11 years ago... It's time for some new stuff^^