Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Hard Sell

13»

Comments

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Mark Jacobs, no PVE, and 5 classes per realm are major concerns.....These are all things that are major gamebreakers in many other games...I get that alot of people are looking for teh RVR from the golden age of DAoC but its most likely a long shot.....In PVP it doesnt take much to break the game and make people quit, just ask WAR.....Even DAoC, once a certain expansion came out, people started leaving in droves.
  • FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by Theocritus
    Mark Jacobs, no PVE, and 5 classes per realm are major concerns.....These are all things that are major gamebreakers in many other games...I get that alot of people are looking for teh RVR from the golden age of DAoC but its most likely a long shot.....In PVP it doesnt take much to break the game and make people quit, just ask WAR.....Even DAoC, once a certain expansion came out, people started leaving in droves.

No PvE gear grind or leveling is what he said, there will still be NPC to kill. 5 classes per realm to start, no mirrored classes.

• JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009

5 Classes per realm, but they are all unique so its more like 15 total. Also remember that race matters so there will be further variation within each class.

I would say that crafting structures in RVR is a fairly unique mechanic.

• OgrelinOgrelin Member Posts: 636

Originally posted by Nihilist
    5 Classes per realm, but they are all unique so its more like 15 total. Also remember that race matters so there will be further variation within each class. I would say that crafting structures in RVR is a fairly unique mechanic.

I agree

If there are Stonemasons and Carpenters that are needed to rebuild structures it will be a new take on things for RvR-games

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

5 Classes per realm, but they are all unique so its more like 15 total. Also remember that race matters so there will be further variation within each class.

Did they say that about the races or are you assuming that. It could be as little as one Race specific skill per profession - that doesn't mean squat.

• ArbroathArbroath Member UncommonPosts: 176

The fact of the matter is, so many people now seem to jump from game to game frequently. Back in the day, people used to play the same game for years. Why the change? People get bored because they are led by the hand to everything they need to level. They don't have to think. They barely have to react. And when the time comes that they can't take it anymore, they leave for the next game that promises that things will be different. Only to find out that the publishers really want just the same things as the last game, because they think it's the best way to financially suceed. Rinse....repeat. This isn't so much an opinion. This is what I hear when I talk to people. "Did you hear about the new game x? It's supposed to be revolutionary!" Or some other coperate buzzword. The realization for most here is that we are not going to get real change in our MMO's unless we exact that change ourselves. By Saying to the marketplace, Hey, this isn't good enough anymore. We demand something different. We want something fresh. I don't want to be told how to play, where to go, and what path I need to take. For me, the best way of doing that right now is by backing games like CU, that have taken the ideas of something that a lot of people want, and evolving it to a point we have yet to realize. But if we want change, it will need to start with us.

I've played WoW to the point where dailies became a second job. I've played other MMO's looking for that thing that made them unique. But never quite found it. I thought I did a couple times, but the development ideas were never quite realized. The las game I was playing was GW2, which was fun because of the non-linear system. But in the end, you were still hunting bad guys in the swamps for coin and gear. And in the end, unless you wanted different color armor, there was no reason to play except PvP, which was between fun and meh. 

Also, it seems these monorail type games have completely removed any imagination or creativity from the minds of it's playerbase, that we can't even fathom playing something that doesn't have a glowing line telling us what to do next. 

I'm begging for this game to fund. I need something new. Not just in terms of a new game, but a new idea. A new concept. We need to make that change. So please, step off the glowing line and discover what else can be out there, and throw $25 or whatever you can at the project. I think if this gets funded, it will atract a lot more than what MJ expects.

It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom — for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself. ~Declaration of Arbroath

• SorninSornin Member Posts: 1,133
    Originally posted by botrytis

Did they say that about the races or are you assuming that. It could be as little as one Race specific skill per profession - that doesn't mean squat.

Yes, they did say race and even gender will matter: http://camelotunchained.com/en/foundational-principle-4-choice-matters/

• MasahikoKobeMasahikoKobe Member Posts: 51
    Originally posted by jtcgs
    Originally posted by PerfArt

Camelot: Unchained has so much promise for a new style of online gaming...

There has been nothing said by Jabocs that points to something actually new, just a bunch of old ideas with some newer ones thrown together to update DaoC.

The one and only MMO announced over the last few years that actually points to something ACTUALLY new is Shroud of the Avatar and I have no intention of backing that game either despite some of the actual great ideas being spoken about, the overall game design doesnt interest me.

And there lies the problem for CU...its DaoC, a hard sell because the only people that thought it was good, are some of the players which wasnt many...no, it doesnt actually matter that it seemed like a lot for its time...because it wasnt. UO, EQ1, SWG, Lineage 1, FFXI all had more players and it was at a time when there werent many MMORPGers. It would be like a company trying to sell betamax 2 or Laserdisc 2, few would care other than those that had the first iteration.

UO came out before hand and was entierly a sand box game.

EQ was the god of MMOs at the time and nothing was going to beat it. Much like wow is now.

SWG came out years after DAoC orginally launched

Lineage came out before DAoC but was Korean game and was most popular over in korea.

FF11 came out after and i would say didnt do that well in the states either.

Kickstarter is littered with the old school ideas that people dont play anymore making multiple millions of dollars. In Exile is a clear example of great kicksarters of old school ideas.

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

A hard sell indeed. I personally would never support a kick starter for a video game. My main reasoning is that any game still in the early stages has too many variables to consider, and due to that there is a very high chance the game could change prior to production due to something unforseen. A concept is something we should all support if we find that it matches what we are looking for. I just personally think we need more then just "this is what were planning to do".

• ArbroathArbroath Member UncommonPosts: 176

Im not sure why $25 is so much money in an environment that you obviously support, online games. i go see live bands all the time and spend $25 on their music just to support them. I know their music isn't in concept alone but still...it's also about 4 beers at the pub. (tip included)  :P

plus when you put it on a CC and don't actually pay till it's funded, is $25 that much for supporting the genre that you love? Plus you get the game itself for that price when it launches. And if it doesn't launch because it didn't meet goal. You don't pay anything anyway.

It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom — for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself. ~Declaration of Arbroath

• StrommStromm Member Posts: 243
    Originally posted by Arbroath

Im not sure why $25 is so much money in an environment that you obviously support, online games. i go see live bands all the time and spend $25 on their music just to support them. I know their music isn't in concept alone but still...it's also about 4 beers at the pub. (tip included)  :P

plus when you put it on a CC and don't actually pay till it's funded, is $25 that much for supporting the genre that you love? Plus you get the game itself for that price when it launches. And if it doesn't launch because it didn't meet goal. You don't pay anything anyway.

I agree with your sentiments, and in a way they parallel Chris Taylors soul-searching that came out of his own failed KS "Wildman". He ended up being very worried that he had created these expensive tiers, and people desperate to support him, his company, his fellow workers and perhaps even the game, would feel the need to pledge to levels that they could not reasonably consider disposable entertainment income. He ended up concluding that if he had it to do all over again he would create a lot fewer tiers and they would all be lower prices. Check his vids out, it's difficult to watch someone in that much distress.