Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: The 12 Least Popular Game Innovations of All Time

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

When is an innovation not an innovation? When everyone hates it, some of you undoubtedly answered. In today's Fair Game column, we take a look at some of the worst innovations in gaming history. See if you agree before adding your thoughts to the list in the comments.

1. Edible Armor: The idea being that backpacks looked silly and ruined one’s attempt to cut an adventuresome dash, one needed a way to do without them. Alas, adventurers have an unfortunate tendency to injury, and healing draughts simply have to go somewhere. Several attempts (and much chafing) later, and the idea for eating one’s own armor was born. If injured, one could simply start snapping off (and snacking on) one’s pauldrons. Edible Armor was available in three styles: Matzo Mail, Jerky Jerkins and Flowing Robes of Ramen; eventually discontinued after the invention of pockets.

Read more of Lisa Jonte's Fair Game: The 12 Least Popular Game Innovations of All Time.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• StrommStromm Member Posts: 243
    Been on the "special" cookies again eh? :-)
  • birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    WTF did I just read?
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454

Late April Fool's ?

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

List has 13 items actually (between 2 and 3 :D)

Character Classes - The standard mix of Warrior, Mage, Cleric and Thief, having long since lost its luster, has game designers ever on the hunt for something new and exciting for players to imprint upon like addled baby birds.

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519
    We should be able to vote for the most poorly written articles of all time.
  • PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    I don't understand this at all.
  • kastakasta Member Posts: 512
    I think it was supposed to be funny but as Edmund Gwen said, "Dying is easy, comedy is hard."
  • C.L.O.U.DC.L.O.U.D Member UncommonPosts: 365
    I was beginning to think I was just too dumb to understand what this article meant. I'm glad I looked at the comments above to realize I wasn't alone in this confusion.
  • BootezBootez Member UncommonPosts: 72

^ What C.L.O.U.D. said.... 

What the hell did I just read?

• DracondisDracondis Member UncommonPosts: 177

Woo hoo!  Fame!

Wow...  That didn't last long.

:D

• nuttobnuttob Member Posts: 291
    How about some real ones, like in eq1 where the more coin you carried, the more slowed down you would get.  Who the hell put that in the game hehe!
  • DracondisDracondis Member UncommonPosts: 177
    Also, I think that you're too subtle for this group.  You're going tohave to dumb down the sarcasm.  But I got it.  And it was clever.
  • PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by Dracondis
    Also, I think that you're too subtle for this group.  You're going tohave to dumb down the sarcasm.  But I got it.  And it was clever.

Please interpret for the rest of us!!!

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904
    It doesn't need to be dumbed down.....it's just really bad humor....I didnt laugh once.   I do give the writer credit for being creative...just didnt find it humorous.  I think it was because I was let down by the content not exactly matching the title.

• SinkaelSinkael Member UncommonPosts: 68
    wait...what?
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Don't give up your dayjob...

I am very curious of Dracondis explenation of the deep humor.. more so the the.. what ever it is up there.

This have been a good conversation

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    More importantly, why did the editor at MMORPG.com allow this to be posted in its current state?

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by tawess

Don't give up your dayjob...

I am very curious of Dracondis explenation of the deep humor.. more so the the.. what ever it is up there.

Reading his post made me think of homer singing "I am so smart, S M R T".

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350
    wha? 

All die, so die well.

• BTrayaLBTrayaL Member UncommonPosts: 624
    WTF was that...?

• Thats a special brand of crack ya'll smoke over there
  • HarafnirHarafnir Member UncommonPosts: 1,350
    Where is the "report for spam" button?

"This is not a game to be tossed aside lightly.
    It should be thrown with great force"

• xDracxDrac Member UncommonPosts: 201
    What is this shit?

Web & Graphic Design - www.xdrac.com

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001

Ok, good..I'm not the only one left scratching my head over here.

Why was this even published?

• red_cruiserred_cruiser Member UncommonPosts: 486
    The problem with this article is that there are no doubt 12 unpopular game innovations out there that witty observations could have been made about; that people would have enjoyed reading and sharing their own insights on.   Taking absurd ideas out of real life and seeing how they could be shoe-horned into a vide game didn't seem to translate that well.