Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where is Everyone? My Server Says "Very High" Population but...

fat_taddlerfat_taddler Member Posts: 286

So I finally decide to give GW2 another shot to check out the recent changes but my server (Isle of Janthir) is completely dead. 

According the server list, Isle of Janthir is rated as "Very High" population but there has to be some mistake.  

Lion's Arch has maybe 3-5 people running around at prime time, WvW queues are popping instantly which is cool but I soon learned why, the zones are completely dead.   I was able to find a decent group of about 15 people last night but haven't had much luck since.  

I know there are a lot of GW2 players on these forums so I was hoping that someone could possibly shed some light on the server population issues or point me to a more active server.  Considering that most servers say "Very High" pop it seems like a crap shoot in my opinion. 

Comments

• papabear151papabear151 Member UncommonPosts: 110
    Originally posted by fat_taddler

So I finally decide to give GW2 another shot to check out the recent changes but my server (Isle of Janthir) is completely dead. 

According the server list, Isle of Janthir is rated as "Very High" population but there has to be some mistake.  

Lion's Arch has maybe 3-5 people running around at prime time, WvW queues are popping instantly which is cool but I soon learned why, the zones are completely dead.   I was able to find a decent group of about 15 people last night but haven't had much luck since.  

I know there are a lot of GW2 players on these forums so I was hoping that someone could possibly shed some light on the server population issues or point me to a more active server.  Considering that most servers say "Very High" pop it seems like a crap shoot in my opinion. 

I think they are total server pops, not active.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Im on Tarnished Coast and always seems to be humming.  LA is always busy as is WvWvW.    
  • aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by fat_taddler

Most people left to go to the top 3 tiers of servers. There are still a decent amount of people playing on IoJ, but not like it used to be. TL / Ascension basically split up, and lost a lot of that traction they brought with. Many people are also in instances of the Mists (the spvp area).

• tintilinictintilinic Member Posts: 283

IoJ is last in T6 WvWvW. I thought people liked "non zerg" WvWvW better. oooops.

People dont hang out in LA like they used to any more (thanks to ANet, they did a very good thing) and theres still culling in PvE.

• fat_taddlerfat_taddler Member Posts: 286
    Originally posted by flizzer
    Im on Tarnished Coast and always seems to be humming.  LA is always busy as is WvWvW.    

Thanks for the info, I xferred to Tarnished Coast and it definitely seems much more active and more in line with what I was hoping for. 

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by flizzer

I'm on TC as well and I'm finding myself in overflows in world maps now that guesting has started.  It's starting to feel like too many people again. I might have to start guesting at Isle of Janthir  :)

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Perhaps the guesting feature is throwing off the population indicators?  People are server hopping for meta dragon events to maximize loot and gold, ever since the nerf.
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Lots on Sanctum or Rall! Come on over!

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• AdrenAdren Member UncommonPosts: 69
    isnt Isle of Janthir where the aussies play?
  • emikochanemikochan Member UncommonPosts: 290
    I'm on aurora glade , very high and looooooads of people :D
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Northern Shiverpeaks here, more people around than I saw around the turn of the year.
  • RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

I wonder do they count WvW and PVP into the server status, I'm sure they do.

Any way Sanctum of Rall is doing great.

This question is also done to death and funny enough...eh forget it.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• aSynchroaSynchro Member UncommonPosts: 194
    It's not WoW: people in GW2 are actually spreaded all over the world !
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    Originally posted by aSynchro

Yep people are all over the place, especially since the last couple of patches. I think IoJ has mostly aussie players on it also, so your prime time is probably different. We have ques randomy all throughout the day for all BLs in SoR with the exception of prime time which is a que for all of them. 

• RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531

Jade Quarry was alive and kicking at any time of the day/night during the holidays.

I visited at least 3 main tows of the races and there were quite a lot people to be seen.

Lions Arch had less people than usuall but it was mainly because of WvsWvsW, Dungeons and the Adventure Box which is awesome in my opinion, grabbing a lot of the population.

• nastyjmannastyjman Member Posts: 161
    I'm in NYC, and I'm at Isle of Janthir. I chose IoJ because most of my friends are in Oceanic. I imagine that the bulk of our population plays when I'm at work or when I'm recovering from a hangover the night before... I do want to switch to a mainly US server, but IoJ had become an underdog in WvW that I don't want to betray them... Plus, commanders are needed when the Oceanic crew is at work or recovering from their hangovers.
  • KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022
    Originally posted by aSynchro

This.

Dungeon peepz are using the LFG site.

People for SAB are on Rata Sum

Dragon peepz are on dragon spawns (Use dragon timer)

And WvWvW peeps are on WvWvW :/

Normally people are doing they dailies on lower tier zones, where events pop up more (because of more peep, high and low levels).

i am on dragonbrand. wisper if ya need help there.

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

• beb2592beb2592 Member UncommonPosts: 61
    Originally posted by Raekon

Jade Quarry was alive and kicking at any time of the day/night during the holidays.

I visited at least 3 main tows of the races and there were quite a lot people to be seen.

Lions Arch had less people than usuall but it was mainly because of WvsWvsW, Dungeons and the Adventure Box which is awesome in my opinion, grabbing a lot of the population.

Really glad to hear that. I am on Jade Quarry but have not played in about a month (new computer and didn't install) I am coming back to the game today and my main worry was server population.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Odds are they are either playing ths adventure box dungeon, in fractals, doing WvW for the new rewards, spread out all over the world gathering tokens for the monthly update...or spread out all over for the new guild quests.

I hope GW2 never EVER becomes a game where most people are doing the same thing like other MMOs.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• NaMeNaMeNaMeNaMe Member Posts: 88

You realise that "Very High" Is actually Accounts made ( Accounts that have that server as their home server). Not how many people playing at one time. 

So Very High doesn't mean there is a near full amount of people playing on the server at one time, but how many accounts there are on that server. Counting both inactive and active accounts. A "High" Server could have half of it's players inactive. 

"if u forcefully insert foriegn objects into my? body, i will die"

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065
    Originally posted by NaMeNaMe

You realise that "Very High" Is actually Accounts made ( Accounts that have that server as their home server). Not how many people playing at one time. 

So Very High doesn't mean there is a near full amount of people playing on the server at one time, but how many accounts there are on that server. Counting both inactive and active accounts. A "High" Server could have half of it's players inactive. 

Actually it does take into account people playing since it fluctuates on servers depending on the hour of the day.

As for where everyone is, check Rata Sum around the SAB box, wayfarer foothills or diessa plateau that's where the living story is happening now (at least on Yak's Bend it's not uncommon for those two areas to get overflow), queensdale (human starter area) specially on the swamp where the shadow behemoth spawns.

Personally, playing on Yak's Bend at least, around 9 to 12 pm venezuelan time during the week, I have seen LA less populated than. saw, late last year, but I've also seen the rest of the world much more populated. I guess it makes sense considering that back then the big thing that was added was the fractals, and you had to be on LA to do them.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

Originally posted by NaMeNaMe

Nope. The server population is based on people playing online at the time you are looking at the server list. This is pretty easy to verify as if you look at server populations off peak times some of them change to medium. 

• DinastyDinasty Member UncommonPosts: 212
    I find it quite telling when the majority of players in game are level 80.
    Originally posted by Dinasty
    I find it quite telling when the majority of players in game are level 80.

It is easy to level. That is pretty obvious. Not sure what is so telling about that. I don't get it. 

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    This is probably a silly question, but have you tried asking in game? They would know better than we would where everyone is on your shard.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre