Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Greed Monger switches back to Unity and Forums get Removed!

Comments

• DalekThayDalekThay Member Posts: 52
    Originally posted by mistmaker
    Originally posted by Biskop

in fact, all threads about this should be deleted, to protect mogus from himself.

Since when is it the responsibility of privately owned sites to protect idiots from destroying their own reputation on the internet?

read the whole post. thx.

both sides go too far, taus1 and mogus.

i just feel pity with mogus, because he is constantly doing harm to himself and he doesnt stop to. yeah, pity! protect him from himself and delete it.

its not being about someone anonym talking shit, its a war between someone anonym with someone with a real name. taus1 is taking this too far. mogus is not able to handle this right (and stop writing anything here.)

Funny thing is, all Taus has done is point out things both past and present which Mogus himself has said, and offered his opinion based on facts. If anyone is taking this too far, it's Mogus. Furthermore, it's been publicized (by Taus himself no less) that Mr. Appleton is well aware of his actual identity, so it's not an issue of an anonymous person hating on someone with less anonymity.

Even funnier is that your statement is possibly the greatest insult to Mr. Appleton's intelligence & integrity in this whole thread. Think about it; you're basically saying that he's too stupid, arrogant, or otherwise mentally incapable of dealing with this situation in a rational manner, so MMORPG.com should delete the thread in order to protect him from himself...

It is not the job of any authority figure, be it a site admin or a government, to protect people from themselves. People are ultimately responsible for their own words & actions, and the consequences thereof.

• RigurRigur Member Posts: 53
    It's funny I never heard of this game or guy before this thread. Now after seeing how he behaves himself I will avoid anything with his name even remotely near it.

The first MMO you loved will always be the best. You will never get that feeling back stop trying.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    I made beds, just ordinary beds. No one cared. Then one day I made a great bed. Everyone was happy. Then some people criticised. They called my beds bad. Even the good ones. I told them they were wrong. I wasn't wrong in saying they were wrong. So, I stated my protest. Then they said I had bad character. Had to close shops. I'm a cotton grower now.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Originally posted by taus01

Gotta love the internet, its full of fun and excitement.

Cheers | taus01

Did he unfriend you?

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• JayarisJayaris Member Posts: 308
    Did he pay the 1$ Facebook charge to have it sent to your main inbox?

Hi

• waffleyonewaffleyone Member Posts: 29

For those who are late to the party:

This is not even close to the start of JA's threats of lawsuits. They began when information from his personal blog was compiled and posted on the Wurm forums. Fearing for his credibility, he edited his blog and threatened to sue those people. It was these threats of lawsuits that have been the biggest detractor to his credibility. Each time he makes these threats, more people decide to make enemies out of him, some of whom he then threatens lawsuits against. JA has principally threatened lawsuits on the basis of unfavorable facts. Many of these unfavorable facts are regarding his threats of lawsuits.

I am not making personal attacks. I am not "trolling". It is worth noting that I have previously made groundless accusations regarding his motives and character which I do not stand by, which could be reasonably seen as personal attacks.

[Originally Posted December 2nd 2012: Information regarding GM website is outdated, 'shadiness of the operation' comments are referring to the website which was revamped before this repost.]

Greed Monger's Jason Appleton Threatens Lawsuit vs Forum Posters Using Kickstarter Money

I was an active member of the Greedmonger community, until I noticed a forum thread where Mr Appleton argued with some critics, then used an Alt to threaten to sue them and the forum they were posting on using money from the Kickstarter campaign. Upon seeing this I was irate, outed him on Greedmonger's forums, where my posts were deleted and I was immediately banned and labeled as a 'troll', and IP banned when I attempted to repost my findings. Upon posting this evidence on an interview regarding said controversy, my comments were deleted.

There is clear suppression of information going on around this project, and most of the fans are absolutely trusting "the developers can do no wrong" types - anyone who posts disagreement or question is immediately considered a hater/troll. Add to this the fact that the website itself is a facade, all features resulting in broken links, and all newsposts containing one sentence of information. Regardless of whether or not the developers are sincerely attempting to put out a real product, the shadiness of the operation and that the lead developer will threaten to use fundraiser money to sue people on the internet who hurt his feelings is enough to raise a lot of doubt.

References:

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/69845-greed-monger/page__st__40#entry694003

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/69845-greed-monger/page__st__40#entry694030

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/69845-greed-monger/page__st__60#entry694406

In the first link MaHaBone (an alt of Mr Appleton's, the second alt, after shaitan) threatens legal action against the forumgoers and Wurm Online itself. If he deletes/edits that post, it is quoted in the following post.

In the second link, MaHaBone threatens that the kickstarter money could be used to fund a lawsuit. If he deletes/edits, it is quoted 3 posts down.

In the third link, Enki, forum Administrator, clearly identifies Mr Appleton with his alts and states "Do not continue using secondary forum accounts for the purpose of deception or threats against our members".

The fourth link is to a youtube interview where Mr Appleton addresses most of the controversial points regarding his credentials to make an MMORPG, where some of my comments which contained above information, under handle "squeethehobo", were deleted.

Notes: Shortly thereafter I personally contacted Markee Dragon regarding the removal of my comment from his video, and he didn't think that had happened. Others responded to the comment before it vanished, so it's hard to say what happened.

• VengerVenger Member UncommonPosts: 1,309
    Is this really what mmorpg.com has become?  At this point right and wrong doesn't matter mods and/or admins should of stepped in a long time ago and stopped this crap.
  • taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352
    Originally posted by DalekThay
    Originally posted by Biskop

in fact, all threads about this should be deleted, to protect mogus from himself.

Since when is it the responsibility of privately owned sites to protect idiots from destroying their own reputation on the internet?

read the whole post. thx.

both sides go too far, taus1 and mogus.

i just feel pity with mogus, because he is constantly doing harm to himself and he doesnt stop to. yeah, pity! protect him from himself and delete it.

its not being about someone anonym talking shit, its a war between someone anonym with someone with a real name. taus1 is taking this too far. mogus is not able to handle this right (and stop writing anything here.)

Funny thing is, all Taus has done is point out things both past and present which Mogus himself has said, and offered his opinion based on facts. If anyone is taking this too far, it's Mogus. Furthermore, it's been publicized (by Taus himself no less) that Mr. Appleton is well aware of his actual identity, so it's not an issue of an anonymous person hating on someone with less anonymity.

Even funnier is that your statement is possibly the greatest insult to Mr. Appleton's intelligence & integrity in this whole thread. Think about it; you're basically saying that he's too stupid, arrogant, or otherwise mentally incapable of dealing with this situation in a rational manner, so MMORPG.com should delete the thread in order to protect him from himself...

It is not the job of any authority figure, be it a site admin or a government, to protect people from themselves. People are ultimately responsible for their own words & actions, and the consequences thereof.

Thank you for your support. Mr. Appleton is indeed aware of who i am in real life and i have no problem with that.

I have never attacked Mr. Appleton personally saying silly things like he eats babies or something along those lines. In fact, in the original thread i told him more than one time that i think he has the intention of making this game and not run with the money, but that i think people should be aware of the fact that it is a very risky investment pointing to the links provided.

Mr. Appleton went to extraordinary lenghts to boast about his past experience. He publicly posted that information about himself. He prides himself in mentioning his past experience at every possibility, in video interviews, interviews here on MMORPG (now removed), on his LinkedIn profile...

What i did was link to posts by him or to his blog containing information about these experiences and I then asked everyone to draw their own conclusion.

I will say it again. I do not think that Mr. Appleton is a scammer. I think he genuinely wants to make this game and i admire him for his persistence and stamina as much as i despise his constant threats against my person and his stalking.

I personally think its a disaster and will never see the light of day, but that is just my opinion.

I will even go so far as to promise to apologize here publicly on MMORPG if Mr. Appleton prooves me wrong and releases a great game.

Cheers | taus01

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

Originally posted by Venger
    Is this really what mmorpg.com has become?  At this point right and wrong doesn't matter mods and/or admins should of stepped in a long time ago and stopped this crap.

If you read my OP you will see that the only thing i did was inform people that greedmonger changed back to Unity. I also asked why they removed every trace of the game, even interviews. Is that wrong or an attack at Mr. Appleton or his game?

It has never been about right or wrong. It is about information and the removal of it. I am sure we all can agree that MMORPG can do whatever they please on their forums, but that does not mean we as a community have to like it. If there is a concern about this becoming a presedence (which i seriously doubt) then people should be able to voice that concern.

If a disgruntled developer comes here and threatens to sue MMORPG and some of it's users then it should be made public and discussed because it affects everyone to some extend.

Originally posted by Slapshot1188

Did he unfriend you?

To be honest, i don't even know how he sent me this message as i can not recall adding him as friend or ever looking him up on Facebook. I got a friend request from one of his developers, Jim Proctor, he has been posting here too under the moniker JamesP if i am not mistaken. I am not interested however to engage in any relations with any of them so i respectfully declined.

• TybostTybost Member UncommonPosts: 629

Good read guys! - +25 Entertainment Sim

Iv popped 2-bags of popcorn and finally got to the end!  ;D

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Are you also going to threaten to sue if they don't?

See sig below.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• VengerVenger Member UncommonPosts: 1,309

If you read my OP you will see that the only thing i did was inform people that greedmonger changed back to Unity. I also asked why they removed every trace of the game, even interviews. Is that wrong or an attack at Mr. Appleton or his game?

It has never been about right or wrong. It is about information and the removal of it. I am sure we all can agree that MMORPG can do whatever they please on their forums, but that does not mean we as a community have to like it. If there is a concern about this becoming a presedence (which i seriously doubt) then people should be able to voice that concern.

If a disgruntled developer comes here and threatens to sue MMORPG and some of it's users then it should be made public and discussed because it affects everyone to some extend.

I personal find it disgraceful that this Jerry Springer episode has been allowed to keep going.  The class of this site has definitely gone down on this site over the years.  I am all for honesty but this trash thread has stopped about being honest y a while ago.

• StrommStromm Member Posts: 243

Hehe so many bored people.

I know I am, only reason I'm reading a drama thread about a game I don't care about changing to an engine I don't care about from an engine I don't care about.

The armchair legal debate was amusing for 10 or so pages though.

The Recent Activity List has a lot to answer for. ><

• EyrothathEyrothath Member UncommonPosts: 200
    It's nice to know that my pledge could potentially go into a lawsuit. Quit being a drama queen Jason and finish your game and give the backers what you promised!
  • RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    And this is why I have kept from backing a Kickstarter project no matter how good it looked or tempted I was to do so.

Smile

• Whiskey_SamWhiskey_Sam Member UncommonPosts: 323
    This thread is more entertaining than any MMO on the market.  It should also serve as a wake-up call to people to not throw money blindly at Kickstarter campaigns without first doing due diligence into who you're funding.

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by Razeekster
    And this is why I have kept from backing a Kickstarter project no matter how good it looked or tempted I was to do so.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

I just have to ask , Is any of this even worth the effort?

Even if the guy is a scam artist ( which I dont think he is ) why put all of this time and effort into posting about it? I think its fine to have an opinion and not contribute to the KS but this almost seems like a crusade against him and the company.

I personally do not think this will ever even get off the ground. An inexperienced dev team lead by an even more inexperienced guy has pretty much zero chance of making it in this market. If they manage to pull it off then good for them I say.

I guess I just dont see why its anyones duty or business to warn people away. If people want to contribute to a KS that seems shady at best then thats no one elses business.

This just seems like alot of trouble for a game & company that you really have no personal stake in. Even if you donated to KS you should have done the research and made an informed decision.  Then have to live with it for good or ill.

• blognorgblognorg Member UncommonPosts: 643

Originally posted by Razeekster And this is why I have kept from backing a Kickstarter project no matter how good it looked or tempted I was to do so.

Wait. . . are you serious? You realize that the vast, vast majority of them actually accomplish what they say. In the case of Greed Monger, it hasn't even been proven that he won't bring the game to fruition. I've backed tons of things on Kickstarter, and all of them have paid off (except for the ones that haven't finished yet, of course). Blaming Greed Monger for your mistrust is not very well founded.

Originally posted by jdnewell

Even if the guy is a scam artist ( which I dont think he is ) why put all of this time and effort into posting about it? I think its fine to have an opinion and not contribute to the KS but this almost seems like a crusade against him and the company.

I personally do not think this will ever even get off the ground. An inexperienced dev team lead by an even more inexperienced guy has pretty much zero chance of making it in this market. If they manage to pull it off then good for them I say.

I guess I just dont see why its anyones duty or business to warn people away. If people want to contribute to a KS that seems shady at best then thats no one elses business.

This just seems like alot of trouble for a game & company that you really have no personal stake in. Even if you donated to KS you should have done the research and made an informed decision.  Then have to live with it for good or ill.

Yet you found it compelling enough to warrant an effort on your side to make this post. It's good to hear different opinions and that is a great thing about forums. They are full of opinions mixed in with facts. No one was warned about anything, people can make up their own mind if they want to back a project on Kickstarter or not.

I do believe that people have the right to check facts if they are used to promote a project that asks them for charity. Kickstarter is just that, it's a charity site.

Would you donate to a charity before checking the facts? Would you say everyone that warns about shady charities should mind their own business?

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

I've got to say, I'm astounded at how far this thread has gone.

Some interesting points:

1) This is a kickstarter project, yet, Greed Monger and Jason Appleton threatens to sue MMORPG and various forum affiliates over "defamation" -- with what money?  Is he using kickstarter money for a legal battle?

2) Now when you search for Jason Appleton MMO or Jason Appleton Greed Monger, these MMORPG threads come up on the first page.  For someone who's threatened to keep himself out of the limelight, by fueling this fire, he's brought it closer to the forefront. 

3) This is a site dedicated to MMORPG players, which is Greed Mongers prime objective, and many of us have accounts on other similar sites... overall this is a bad play for them.  Whereas this "defamation" could have previously been set as conjecture had there been no response, it is now a very big reality that they are ostracizing their playerbase.

4) Many of us on this site are either in the process of creating games, have worked on games in the past, or plan to create games in the future. Some of us have funding from private companies, others are self funding and others may be part of a Kickstarter campaign.  Look at  Mark Jacobs and the Camelot Unchained kickstarter, or Pathfinder Online, you don't see them here attacking and threatening to sue, even after all of controversy over WAR.

5) PR starts when the game is in a workable state, not when its bouncing back and forth between engines.  Its almost as if the game is back down to square one.  Even non-designers can see the gross mismanagement at this stage, and its not the fault of the "game" its the fault of the lead developers.  If people are blaming Jason Appleton for this, and he's making the design decisions, then - sorry - but this is to be expected.  If this was an investment deal, investors would have pulled out for less, luckily this was a kickstarter campaign and as far as I'm aware, the money is gone to the "investors".  All that is left until there is something concrete is animosity.  This comes with the territory.

Lastly, I am quite fond of this site, and Bill, and have absolutely no respect for someone who would threaten them in any capacity, and then turn around and repost their "disappointment" of Bills decision to address the public with the issue.  This is childish and a massive fault on the part of Greed Monger and all involved.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237
    Originally posted by jdnewell

Yet you found it compelling enough to warrant an effort on your side to make this post. It's good to hear different opinions and that is a great thing about forums. They are full of opinions mixed in with facts. No one was warned about anything, people can make up their own mind if they want to back a project on Kickstarter or not.

I do believe that people have the right to check facts if they are used to promote a project that asks them for charity. Kickstarter is just that, it's a charity site.

Would you donate to a charity before checking the facts? Would you say everyone that warns about shady charities should mind their own business?

I agree with what your saying for the most part. And as for the effort of me posting thats just me killing time on a day off work.

And for the most part I would say people should mind their own business. I guess if I donated to a shady charity without doing due diligence and fact checking then thats on me.

But my main point was more along the lines of - is this worth your time personally? if it is then all good, its your time after all. Just seems like alot of effort and trouble for no return. I am not above proving a point just to prove a point, but usually there is more of a reason than what I have seen here.

Appleton has totally flubbed this up from a PR perspective and should have handled things differently to say the least. Threatening lawsuits was just a bad idea from the word go. He would have been better off just ignoring it or asking nicely for the game forums to be removed.

Either way I hope it all works out for the best for everyone involved. =)

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Originally posted by blognorg

Originally posted by Razeekster And this is why I have kept from backing a Kickstarter project no matter how good it looked or tempted I was to do so.

Wait. . . are you serious? You realize that the vast, vast majority of them actually accomplish what they say. In the case of Greed Monger, it hasn't even been proven that he won't bring the game to fruition. I've backed tons of things on Kickstarter, and all of them have paid off (except for the ones that haven't finished yet, of course). Blaming Greed Monger for your mistrust is not very well founded.

Well according to this stat, more than half of all kickstarter projects are not even successfully funded.

We don't know what percentage of those that are successfully funded go on to complete their project, so you can't really say the fast majority accomplish what they say now can you?

http://www.kickstarter.com/help/stats

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
    Originally posted by VengeSunsoar

Well according to this state, more than half of all kickstarter projects are not even successfully funded.

We don't know what percentage of those that are successfully funded go on to complete their project, so you can't really say the fast majority accomplish what they say now can you?

http://www.kickstarter.com/help/stats

I think that might be a bit much.  I'm sure he was talking about funded kickstarter projects, not that everyone who's had an idea has been successful.  That said, I don't know of a single game that has come out from being funded by kickstarter.  It's been my impression that they are all still in development.

This discussion has been closed.