Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

People Kicking Down CU On Purpose?

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    Originally posted by skyexile

Originally posted by JimmyYO
    It doesn't exactly have much competition other then TESO so wouldnt be too concerned with any hype meter fluctuations. Afterall, DF Unholy Wars was at the top not to long ago.

I'm more concerned about all these gamers willing to throw money at developers before they're even put to work despite the fact that every MMO in the past decade was a crapshoot full of unfullfilled promises, Warhammer Online being one of the biggest offenders..............

name a open world mmo pvp game released in the last 7 years with better pvp than WAR.

WAR was on open world MMO pvp game?  You could attack anyone, anywhere outside a few small safe zones?  (a la Mordred on DAOC, and not the blue servers)

That's not how I recall it, seems to have been more of an RVR style game with combat restricted to certain areas, but was a long time ago that I played it.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• morfidonmorfidon Member Posts: 245
    Originally posted by meddyck

I confess I dropped my hype from 9 to 7 after the 10,000 models video made me wonder whether CSE is planning for fights on a scale that I think would be boring and stupid. But I like the TDD concepts shown and will likely bump it back up in a few days.

Mostly though don't pay any attention to the hype meter. It's about as meaningless as which forum gets the most posts daily (ours probably lol).

They shown it to show how optimized it is not that we will meet 10k ppl at the screen lol. 500 models like that doing nothing but walking wouldn't make any impression. 

• bambuchabambucha Member Posts: 19
    Originally posted by Qallidexz

I noticed everytime our game gets to #1 on the hype meter, it shoots down several points all at once... It seems that some people are artifically keeping it down, maybe by giving it 1 ratings? I don't know about you guys, but I am super excited for this game, and so I gave it a 10/10 on the hype meter...  I wish there was something we could do about these false ratings, that are in favor of other games, or seem to be...

yea me too, but im afraid thats not possible. So we'll have to learn to live with people like you giving 10's, and your virtual enemies - giving 1's to games nobody knows a thing about.

i like this topic though.

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    Originally posted by bambucha

I noticed everytime our game gets to #1 on the hype meter, it shoots down several points all at once... It seems that some people are artifically keeping it down, maybe by giving it 1 ratings? I don't know about you guys, but I am super excited for this game, and so I gave it a 10/10 on the hype meter...  I wish there was something we could do about these false ratings, that are in favor of other games, or seem to be...

yea me too, but im afraid thats not possible. So we'll have to learn to live with people like you giving 10's, and your virtual enemies - giving 1's to games nobody knows a thing about.

i like this topic though.

Hahaha now that I have reread the underlined part, I really see how absurd it is. I haven't even voted on this game, but the topic is quite good. Plus great response :)

• SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861
    @winter

I actually don't care about the hypemeter. At all. I just care about CU. Which is why I am here. A place where people who care about the game can talk about it.

Seems simple to me. But enjoy yourself. Like I said in the "no gameplay" thread, we all have our roles.

:P
  • MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Originally posted by Kyleran

WAR was on open world MMO pvp game?  You could attack anyone, anywhere outside a few small safe zones?  (a la Mordred on DAOC, and not the blue servers)

There were a few PvP-anywhere WAR servers, as I recall, but, as tends to be the case with such things, they quickly died and were among the first to get axed.

Edit: Personally I've never even noticed, let alone paid attention to, the "Hype meter" on this site -- one hardly needs a meter to see what's being hyped around here.

I think the CU stuff has gone beyond hype at this point, though.

I don't think I've ever seen a 'game' that hasn't even entered development yet become a religion before.

Props to MJ, not even Anet could manage that one.

• TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435

I actually don't get involved in all this 'hype' metre stuff. But I would say if people are able to vote a 10 then people should be able to vote a 1. So getting frustrated that your game is getting knocked down a peg should be just part of  how it works. 

This is just fan-boyism at the end of the day and these things tend to be circular in arguement. People will always vote a 10 that are really looking forward to a game. This builds hype and gets the game noticed. People then look at this nearly hyped game and some people go 'meh, not for me' and then give it a 1 to indicate they aren't very hyped for the game. 

You can't fault people for that, its their vote to use as they please. 

For instance, I would vote a 1 as I am not hyped about this game at all. I'll keep my eye on it, see how it shapes out... but nothing about this title grabs me at all. 

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Originally posted by Tsumoro

For instance, I would vote a 1 as I am not hyped about this game at all. I'll keep my eye on it, see how it shapes out... but nothing about this title grabs me at all. 

I only hype a game a 1 if I think the game will be terrible. Games that I think are mediocre and don't really interest me I hype a 5.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• MystaisMystais Member Posts: 72

Well on one hand we have CU which has very little to show but is asking an awful lot.  Funny though that the developer already has 2-3 million but will not put it into developement unless he gets 2+ million from Kickstarter.

Compared to

Divergence Online which is being developed by one man who has already completed a vast majority of the game development  with little to no money and is only asking for $15,000 and may or may not even get that.

Divergence Online dev (Ethan):

"This is something I started with a couple friends back in 2006 who unfortunately went back to their day jobs within about three months while I stuck it out.  It's been something I've put my blood into every chance I got but the same crushing issue was always there... there's virtually no money."

Listen to this and decide who could use the helping hand:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=trpmoQnEDfA#!

One has done very little and asks for a lot and the other has done a lot and asks for very little.  You can guess who I'd hype and support.  But then again, I have a conscience.

Tabletop RPG gaming since Chainmail and D&D was a blue book with some cheap plastic dice and a crayon. MMORPGing since MOOS/MUDS, when forums were just bulletin boards and players actually roleplayed their characters.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

I am not kicking down CU - just kicking down all the hype is all. The game is not even in development and people think it is the next best thing since peanut butter. When you think about game development 4 million dollars is not alot of money to commit to such an ambitious game. But if the game looks like any of the tech demos - they better rethink what they are doing.

Open world PvP is OK for a short time - after a while people get bored with it and leave these type of games and only people left are the people who like this style of game. That is a SMALL amount of the gaming population.

Remember, the game isn't even IN DEVELOPMENT OR CODING and people are hyping it. We have had this problem with SWTOR and GW2 and the haters ran rampant over the fans. Now the rabid fans are hyping a VAPOURWARE game and wonder why people are reacting.

KICKSTARTER DOES NOT MEAN THE GAME WILL EVEN SEE THE LIGHT OF DAY.  Please wait to hype the game until a beta test has started.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Hmm yeah.. seems like a lot in denial.

I'm sure you all love it (the idea of it that is) and it's support is pretty active on this site, but I don't think this game has anywhere near the popularity you think it does in the grand scheme of things.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

I have to agree about why worry about hype on a game thats only a concept at this point. IMO it really should not even be able to be voted up / down on any hype meter until its actually in development.

I am a big fan of this idea, but thats all it is really. Hopefully it will become more than an idea soon, until then I wouldnt worry about what a hype meter says.

• MortifyMortify Member Posts: 95
    Originally posted by botrytis

Open world PvP is OK for a short time - after a while people get bored with it and leave these type of games and only people left are the people who like this style of game. That is a SMALL amount of the gaming population.

Funny that you say that, because that's EXACTLY what MJ is aiming for with CU.

Methos, Armsman, EU Excalibur
    Jager, Infiltrator, EU Excalibur
    Phos, Cleric, EU Excalibur
    Mortify, Sorcerer, EU Excalibur

• ZiftylrhavicZiftylrhavic Member Posts: 222
    Originally posted by jdnewell

I have to agree about why worry about hype on a game thats only a concept at this point. IMO it really should not even be able to be voted up / down on any hype meter until its actually in development.

I am a big fan of this idea, but thats all it is really. Hopefully it will become more than an idea soon, until then I wouldnt worry about what a hype meter says.

I agree with you, but the hype meter do allow CU to be known^^

Well maybe it mostly bring us trolls, but aren't they quite useful? They find flaws and argument to bring down CU than any other reader may have found but not said, thus allowing us to explain these shaddy points and get more people to be interested in the project.

• JoekraJoekra Member Posts: 182
    In my opinion the devs didn't show anything to be excited about yet, so having a high hype is just wishful thinking anyway. Regardless, there are players who aren't totally into this game with zero actual gameplay details and OP thinks that's enough reason to call conspiracy on his beloved "game" (it's rather a concept right now, not even a game).
  • headenheaden Member UncommonPosts: 229

What's this Cameltoe Unchained game all about?

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Mortify

Right - it is a concept currently. Until it is something I can see in front of me - I will reserve judgement.

• LivnthedreamLivnthedream Member Posts: 555
    Originally posted by Mystais

Well on one hand we have CU which has very little to show but is asking an awful lot.  Funny though that the developer already has 2-3 million but will not put it into developement unless he gets 2+ million from Kickstarter.

Compared to

Divergence Online which is being developed by one man who has already completed a vast majority of the game development  with little to no money and is only asking for $15,000 and may or may not even get that.

"This is something I started with a couple friends back in 2006 who unfortunately went back to their day jobs within about three months while I stuck it out.  It's been something I've put my blood into every chance I got but the same crushing issue was always there... there's virtually no money."

One has done very little and asks for a lot and the other has done a lot and asks for very little.  You can guess who I'd hype and support.  But then again, I have a conscience.

That is vaporware. If he has the tech he claims to have he could sell that to any number of studios/publishers for millions without touching his beloved ip and selling out to the man as he claims in his horribly biased marketing video.

• MystaisMystais Member Posts: 72
    Originally posted by Livnthedream
    Originally posted by Mystais

Compared to

That is vaporware. If he has the tech he claims to have he could sell that to any number of studios/publishers for millions without touching his beloved ip and selling out to the man as he claims in his horribly biased marketing video.

Thanks for the damning opinion.  Considering beta is set for July 2013, we'll know soon enough.  

Oh by the way, I did back CU as well but just hate to see one developer lost in the shadow of the other.  But I suppose there's only so much hype to go around.

Tabletop RPG gaming since Chainmail and D&D was a blue book with some cheap plastic dice and a crayon. MMORPGing since MOOS/MUDS, when forums were just bulletin boards and players actually roleplayed their characters.

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

You can only choose one thing:

--  Have a decent community with meaningful / interesting discussions.

--  OR --

--  Have a high "hype" score, and have a sub forum that resembles the TESO forums.  *shudders*

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by Mortify

I think this is something any rational person realises. DAoC for example was mainly populated by pve players who liked casual pvp.

the thing is, this small population is precisely the gamer demographic CU is aimed at, so it's a mute point really.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009

The hype meter lets people know how interested the users on mmorpg.com are about upcoming games.

The fact that this game has more hype than a lot of big games and similar hype to Archeage and TESO just shows you how much people around here are craving something new.

For a game this is 'only ideas and promises' it is doing amazingly well.

• neobahamut20neobahamut20 Member Posts: 336

I noticed everytime our game gets to #1 on the hype meter, it shoots down several points all at once... It seems that some people are artifically keeping it down, maybe by giving it 1 ratings? I don't know about you guys, but I am super excited for this game, and so I gave it a 10/10 on the hype meter... I think if it was at the top, it would help the Kickstarter fund as well, hopefully people stop doing this, or what not, so it can stay at the top.... It's unfortunate that people are trying to keep it down on purpose. I wish there was something we could do about these false ratings, that are in favor of other games, or seem to be...

Is it really so important to you that "your game" is number one?

Will it make you a better person?

Will it "show everyone" that you are right?

Will you sleep better at night knowing you are waiting for the #1 on "MMORPG's hype meter"?

Do you not see the insignificance of your desires?

Why do you even care? it's only free publicity for a game, nothing more.

Boycotting EA. Why? They suck, even moreso since 2008.

• JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009

If anything, it shows what little faith people have in AAA titles.

If a list of FPs and some concept art can get as much hype as TESO, then what does that say about the state of AAA games?

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519
    Also, it was already explained a lot of time why WAR was a failure, and why CU is different. I'm tired of explaining it over and over, so if you still want to talk about it, you better go get yourself some knowledge and not give us the same old arguments.

Wait we need them to explain why WAR failed? All you have to do is spark up an account and see for yourself, it was a terrible game. The most obvious of WoW clones but worse in almost every way. Thats the kind of devs we want to throw money at nowadays? Not me and hopefully not most of you either.

P.S I was in Warhammer beta and the game was chaulk full of promises that go unfullfilled to this day. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. You were warned.