Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

People Kicking Down CU On Purpose?

QallidexzQallidexz Member Posts: 253

I noticed everytime our game gets to #1 on the hype meter, it shoots down several points all at once... It seems that some people are artifically keeping it down, maybe by giving it 1 ratings? I don't know about you guys, but I am super excited for this game, and so I gave it a 10/10 on the hype meter... I think if it was at the top, it would help the Kickstarter fund as well, hopefully people stop doing this, or what not, so it can stay at the top.... It's unfortunate that people are trying to keep it down on purpose. I wish there was something we could do about these false ratings, that are in favor of other games, or seem to be...

Comments

• fanglofanglo Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Originally posted by Qallidexz

I noticed everytime our game gets to #1 on the hype meter, it shoots down several points all at once... It seems that some people are artifically keeping it down, maybe by giving it 1 ratings? I don't know about you guys, but I am super excited for this game, and so I gave it a 10/10 on the hype meter... I think if it was at the top, it would help the Kickstarter fund as well, hopefully people stop doing this, or what not, so it can stay at the top.... It's unfortunate that people are trying to keep it down on purpose. I wish there was something we could do about these false ratings, that are in favor of other games, or seem to be...

When I was rating it on my iPad for some reason it kept giving it a 1. Finally after a week I decided to just do it on my computer to get it to go to the 10. Maybe everyone who is giving it a 1 had similar iPad problems?

I healed Mistwraith and all I got was this stupid tee-shirt!

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519

It doesn't exactly have much competition other then TESO so wouldnt be too concerned with any hype meter fluctuations. Afterall, DF Unholy Wars was at the top not to long ago.

I'm more concerned about all these gamers willing to throw money at developers before they're even put to work despite the fact that every MMO in the past decade was a crapshoot full of unfullfilled promises, Warhammer Online being one of the biggest offenders..............

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Well yeah, you just gave an example of the opposite, you giving it a blind 10/10. If you can over-rate/hype an unreleased game, people have the same to under-rate/hype a game they don't feel is worth it with just as meaningful of a score as you give.
  • tinuelletinuelle Member UncommonPosts: 363
    Originally posted by Purutzil
    Well yeah, you just gave an example of the opposite, you giving it a blind 10/10. If you can over-rate/hype an unreleased game, people have the same to under-rate/hype a game they don't feel is worth it with just as meaningful of a score as you give.

I suppose your Logic is that one should downvote other games by giving it a 1 if you want your favorite game too rise on the hype meter.

or since it is in"blind" development, all votes are blind and should be suspended cause its just a blind fanboibandwagon thing, unless you are a troll who finds the game worthless and then given a non-blind 1?

• ZiftylrhavicZiftylrhavic Member Posts: 222
    Originally posted by JimmyYO

It doesn't exactly have much competition other then TESO so wouldnt be too concerned with any hype meter fluctuations. Afterall, DF Unholy Wars was at the top not to long ago.

I'm more concerned about all these gamers willing to throw money at developers before they're even put to work despite the fact that every MMO in the past decade was a crapshoot full of unfullfilled promises, Warhammer Online being one of the biggest offenders..............

Just go look at their kickstarter update and you'll see they are working. And if it still isn't enough, come back in a week to see what they'll have done by then.

Also, it was already explained a lot of time why WAR was a failure, and why CU is different. I'm tired of explaining it over and over, so if you still want to talk about it, you better go get yourself some knowledge and not give us the same old arguments.

• GolazGolaz Member UncommonPosts: 24

I've been on mmorpg.com for several years but never seen any place where i can rate a game on the hype meter.

Anyone can give me a link to this?

• SorninSornin Member Posts: 1,133
    Originally posted by jmongstad

I've been on mmorpg.com for several years but never seen any place where i can rate a game on the hype meter.

Anyone can give me a link to this?

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/926/view/hype/mode/vote

Playing the MMORPG hype game is pointless; I bet if you could look into the actual votes they are almost all 10s or 1s. Fans of one game vote 10, then gives 1s for others in competition, and it all averages out to around 8.2 - 8.5.

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678

and why this game is in this hype thing?

game is not even in developement phase

all we got by now is a concept only and asking for 2 mil $$

shouldnt be in the list in first place

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Originally posted by tinuelle
    Originally posted by Purutzil

I suppose your Logic is that one should downvote other games by giving it a 1 if you want your favorite game too rise on the hype meter.

or since it is in"blind" development, all votes are blind and should be suspended cause its just a blind fanboibandwagon thing, unless you are a troll who finds the game worthless and then given a non-blind 1?

No, thats exactly my point. There is absolutely no reason at all any of these hype votes are really valid. Your 10 is worth just as much as a 1 is. People will vote in extremes in support/dejection of the game particularly when it comes to hype. Complaining about 1s while you give a 10 is just silly and so contradictory since your doing what they are, just in the complete opposite way.

Hype if at all rated should be "Are you excited: Y/N" possibly with a maybe option, either way your going to have people 'voting down' your game in hopes of pushing up their game, just like I'm sure a lot of people for CU are downvoting other game for the same reason. Its all trivial.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    Originally posted by saurus123

and why this game is in this hype thing?

game is not even in developement phase

all we got by now is a concept only and asking for 2 mil $$

shouldnt be in the list in first place

Agree +1

There are real indie projects out there that deserve our money - projects that show gameplay and show there has been effort made, this is a just some rich guys pet project.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Have to agree, having a numeric scale for the hype meter probably isn't the way to go.

But since it does a 1 is probably a very valid rating for a title you have no interest in, just as a 10 would be valid for a game you are really looking forward to.

I guess in my case I'd probably go with a 5 since I'm on the fence with this title.

But I don't vote on the hype meter so doesn't matter.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Alternatively, the reason the game is 'kicking down' is because it was over hyped in the first place, tbh, until the game is even in development hype ratings are entirely irrelevant, the game might not even be made after all. Until there is some substance to the game on which to base an opinion, even the proposed form of the game could change radically between concept and implementation, and frequently does - it wouldnt be the first time after all.  so until then, i'll score it a ?/10 image
  • DraneanDranean Member Posts: 77

Rating doesn't matter on this site.. its all about how you think about this game with the option that you can discuss it which is good.

• QallidexzQallidexz Member Posts: 253

I'm excited for this game. Every game starts out as nothing but a few ideas... so what? A game is ultimately just an idea put into code... but it's the IDEA that matters (and of course the code not being buggy, and with reasonably good graphix). But I'm voting for the idea here, and I think that's enough. I'm quite confident Mark and his team know how to write their idea into code, and I know things could go wrong, but so what? I'm super hyped for what Mark and his team are trying to do here, I gave it a 10/10, and I'm standing by that decision, until a day comes (god forbid) when I have a good reason not to.

Edit: I'm sick of this Guilty until proven innocent philosphy that people have on this site. This game isn't in development, that doesn't mean we don't have enough to go on, or that it should suck... It means that we have a fresh start.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

I'm excited for this game. Every game starts out as nothing but a few ideas... so what? A game is ultimately just an idea put into code... but it's the IDEA that matters (and of course the code not being buggy, and with reasonably good graphix). But I'm voting for the idea here, and I think that's enough. I'm quite confident Mark and his team know how to write their idea into code, and I know things could go wrong, but so what? I'm super hyped for what Mark and his team are trying to do here, I gave it a 10/10, and I'm standing by that decision, until a day comes (god forbid) when I have a good reason not to.

In my opinion, it's not the idea that matters, it's the execution of bringing many ideas together that matters.

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

Originally posted by JimmyYO
    It doesn't exactly have much competition other then TESO so wouldnt be too concerned with any hype meter fluctuations. Afterall, DF Unholy Wars was at the top not to long ago.I'm more concerned about all these gamers willing to throw money at developers before they're even put to work despite the fact that every MMO in the past decade was a crapshoot full of unfullfilled promises, Warhammer Online being one of the biggest offenders..............

name a open world mmo pvp game released in the last 7 years with better pvp than WAR.

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

Originally posted by colddog04

In my opinion, it's not the idea that matters, it's the execution of bringing many ideas together that matters.

Execution is an important part, but, they haven't gotten to that phase yet, so, let's give em a break. 

• cybersurfrcybersurfr Member UncommonPosts: 168

Edit: I'm sick of this Guilty until proven innocent philosphy that people have on this site. This game isn't in development, that doesn't mean we don't have enough to go on, or that it should suck... It means that we have a fresh start.

What exactly are you mad about?

People can rate it 1/10 precisely because it isn't even on development yet. Though both are extremes, it actually makes more sense than giving it a 10/10.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

I have to wonder how many people vote hype at numbers 2 through 9, versus people that vote either 1 or 10.  The whole concept is silly and people getting worked up over it being "kicked down" is off the deep end.

In any event, I look forward to this game being released.  After all, kickstarter is to fund it, but there's no guarantee it'll be anything close to well designed, and with no publisher there's far less motivation to meet quality and time standards.

Edit: Besides the Released and In Development categories on this site, there should be an additonal category for games that are in the phase "Accepting Handouts".  Camelot Unchained isn't being developed yet, but it is taking money from people.  So the hype meter should reflect how happy people are to pay developers salaries in the hopes something good comes out of it years down the line, instead of just buying it at release knowing its quality.

• SorninSornin Member Posts: 1,133
    Originally posted by cybersurfr

People can rate it 1/10 precisely because it isn't even on development yet. Though both are extremes, it actually makes more sense than giving it a 10/10.

Neither makes more sense than the other; it is called "hype" for a reason. There is no sense to it. There are no rules that dictate a game at some stage in development deserves more hype than another at a different stage. It is whatever a person feels like.

Oh, and Camelot Unchained is in development. Have you not seen the concept art and video of an actual in-game character model walking around? Lots of development is done on the concepts end, from races to classes, etc. Is there a working game yet? Nope, but that is not all development is.

Rating a game 1 out of 10 because it isn't in Development yet? That's the most retarded thing I've ever heard of in my life.

Lets flunk pre-schoolers out of school if they can't pass their SAT's while we're at it.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by Sornin

Neither makes more sense than the other; it is called "hype" for a reason. There is no sense to it. There are no rules that dictate a game at some stage in development deserves more hype than another at a different stage. It is whatever a person feels like.

Oh, and Camelot Unchained is in development. Have you not seen the concept art and video of an actual in-game character model walking around? Lots of development is done on the concepts end, from races to classes, etc. Is there a working game yet? Nope, but that is not all development is.

I can draw things on paper that look humanoid, I guess I have an MMO in development, send millions of dollars and hype it please.  Maybe someday it'll become a real thing.

Edit: There are categories for the hype meter.

Released - for things such as Dark Age of Camelot

In Development - for things such as Wildstar or Elder Scrolls Online

make a new one called Accepting Handouts Phase - for Camelot Unchained types that aren't being created until they've hit up enough fans for money

• cybersurfrcybersurfr Member UncommonPosts: 168
    Originally posted by Sornin

It's non-sense, got it. Now, tell that to the worked-up OP not me since I am neutral to all this lol. I am merely speaking on their behalf for whatever justification both sides have. Carry on.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Rating a game 1 out of 10 because it isn't in Development yet? That's the most retarded thing I've ever heard of in my life.

Lets flunk pre-schoolers out of school if they can't pass their SAT's while we're at it.

I'm not so sure that CSE would enjoy that comparison...

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

Hey I have a pie in the sky idea for a game, i have nothing to show but please hype me 10/10 thankyou please.