Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Damn roll back ;(

2»

Comments

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Which server this happen on? Was planning to get on PS3.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

I was pretty discouraged when I logged in this morning to see my character had lost about 75 EGO points.  Ended up not taking very long to recoup them since I'd already done the quests and stuff once, and was able to breeze through them again, but still kind of annoying.

I'm over it now though.  For as many problems as the game has, it's still incredibly fun.  I'm just trying to not judge it soley as an MMO, because it's really not.  I will say that I haven't had as much fun in an MMO during the last 5 years as I have with taking down Arkfalls and running dungeons with people.  The game really does "big-ass-boss" design very well, and the fights are fun in an edge-of-your-seat sort of way.  Great stuff, and a real nice change of pace from the standard MMO stuff.

You make me like charity

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Oh, and in case anyone was wondering, it was a database failure that resulted in the rollbacks.  I dont' have any more specifics, but I'm guessing the database server crashed under load and what we lost was transaction log data that hadn't quite got recorded to the DB, and was probably corrupted as a result.

You make me like charity

• SupportPlayerMMSupportPlayerMM Member Posts: 310
    Originally posted by DMKano

Interesting - I got DC'd at the same time last night as everybody (around 1am Central) - my entire guild got dropped - so it was server wide.

None of us got rolled back at all - zip.

So much like the PC patching error you and everyone you know as well as I and everyone I know once again are the luckiest people on the planet to never face a serious issue with the game... it's either that we're recruits of the Illuminati gamer branch or others are exaggerating, lying and making shtko up. What the jek....

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by DMKano

Interesting - I got DC'd at the same time last night as everybody (around 1am Central) - my entire guild got dropped - so it was server wide.

None of us got rolled back at all - zip.

Good for you bud! i am really happy for you.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• fallenlordsfallenlords Member UncommonPosts: 683
    Xbox has got some issues, disappearing items for one linked to Salvage Matrix (thought I didn't sell that gun).  Some lag and server crashes (not that I have encountered but are reported).  Not sure if we had a roll back though. 
  • kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    I've been encountering a huge amount of bugs while playing Defiance, but shooting them in the mouth usually makes short work of them.
  • LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893
    Meh. Lost a few levels and a few weapons. As it took me virtually no time to get them, no big deal. I also make it a habit of NEVER using a cash shop when a game is still in its launch stage. Bad Idea. I usually just cruise around and mess about until things stablize in a week or two. Been playing MMOs in 2001 and this is nothing new. People need to calm down and relax. it's not like getting upset is going to make things happen faster. You bought the game already so they already have your money. Time to sit back, relax and think of something happy.

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• TiconzTiconz Member UncommonPosts: 120
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    Originally posted by Eladi
    Complains complains complains, there has not bin a single new mmo in the history of mmo's whitout a rollback in its first weeks. most happen during first week, often also in the later weeks.

I would like to know more examples. Since you said every single MMO had roll backs in first week.

Games that should have rolled back but didn't:  

Warhammer Online when everyone was trading territories back and forth and maxed out their pvp ranks within an hour.

Same story with SWTOR and Illum... and the pad camping.. that was funny...

Games that had rollbacks:  Age of Conan and their constant loss of information,  World of Warcraft had one early on but i forgot the details on why it happened.  Rift had a brief memory dump at launch,  The Secret World launch had a rollback of 30 minutes or so during launch week.

Path of Exile had server issues when during its first week of announcing there would be no more charater wipes that resulted in a lot of hardcore players dying.. I say that's the worst rollback you can get....

Point is.. it happens to the best of them.. and its not gonna be the last time it happens in a game.  When companies try new things.. sometimes.. bad things happen.  

• falconhandfalconhand Member UncommonPosts: 50
    Originally posted by Leethe
    Meh. Lost a few levels and a few weapons. As it took me virtually no time to get them, no big deal. I also make it a habit of NEVER using a cash shop when a game is still in its launch stage. Bad Idea. I usually just cruise around and mess about until things stablize in a week or two. Been playing MMOs in 2001 and this is nothing new. People need to calm down and relax. it's not like getting upset is going to make things happen faster. You bought the game already so they already have your money. Time to sit back, relax and think of something happy.

Best advice ever. Glad enough no problems for me still, but thats the eu, and I did bad enough spend some money allready in the cash shop. Could not resist some head and rest of armor gear for the visual look. But for the rest stay far away from cashshop when game just starts.