Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

lack of fun in mmo games?

darkedone02darkedone02 Member UncommonPosts: 581

I am not having a problem with enjoying the mmo games that I have played, it's now to the point where I sometimes won't play certain games like World of Warcraft because it's starting to get dull and cannot find anything else to get sticked to it, and play it for hours.

During my World of Warcraft days, I sticked to that game for hours until I usually get bored. One thing that I like about World of Warcraft is the story of the game, and that what made my progress and get into the newest expansions out there that caught my interest, such as catacalysm and mist of panderia. Now however after finally gotten to level 90, did almost all the quests in the land of pandaria, the fun kinda stop there. All that is there to do is do dungeons to get the gear pieces to make your character powerful enough and reach certain specs to allow you to do the LFR and Group Raids. Dailies to get the points to purchase most of your gear, and gain the reputation to unlock the gear to purchase. The problem with that is that I hate doing dailies, when i first do the fresh new set of dailies on the expansions, i didn't really have a problem with them, but after doing them more then 2 weeks, it's start to get dull and I don't even want to do dailies anymore.

Now that I've got geared up to the point where all my LFR's are unlocked in a way, what's the point now to reach? it's quite easy to beat the new Throne of Thunder, and once i've beaten that... what is there to keep me from playing WoW? sadly nothing out there. I don't enjoy Player Vs Player Combat sometimes because it easily piss me off, Looking for Raids gear only drop once a week, so their is no purpose of doing it again, after beaten every other boss. Guild Raids are not very fun when we continue to wipe more then once, and no progress is going on, hell... my guild still stuck on mogu-shan vaults on elegion, and have not touched Throne of Thunder or Heart of Fear to begin with, and sadly group runs can only be done once a week. So what other options is there to enjoy the game besides dailies and pvping? I don't see nothing out there that can keep me hook, and now i don't even feel like making an alt because i have to go though the same shit again which i've done countless of times before, and feel no enjoyment of doing again.

Now enough of World of Warcraft, I've recently purchase and played Defiance for the PC, and got to say that game is like borderlands 1, however the missions in the game dull after doing these side quests and missions over and over. Go here, kill these people, go here, acquire these items, go here turn them in, do the next quest, repeat.... UGH! Is there anything else in the game besides this repetitive questing? sure there is these "co-op" maps but they are kinda broken in the way, the crafting in the is just adding mods slots or breaking down useless items for resources to do other shit. However nothing much is unique for crafting... There is also PvP which i don't really like doing because PvP shit just piss me off and it's the same shit over and over... it's geting dull, and now the game is becoming duller the more that I progress.

This is the problem that I am suffering is that there is these mmo games that lack other things to do besides questing, crafting, and PvP. There is a lack of innovation to something that if we get bored of questing, what else can we do keep me from playing this game? is there a housing system to the point where i try to make the most decorated houses and compete with people other decorative houses? gain something useful that help me out in other fields such as a new unlockable ability to summon my personal army against my target? Do i get a daily income from certain items that I have installed in my home? What about crafting to help do shit to help out the war effort or diseaster relief? i'm not talking about more senseless grinding of quests to do, i'm talking about something that actually has a cause and an effect. To see the world improve on my own eyes and see new things appear after helping them out so much and to expand further then they originally have, where is that shit located at? Sadly there isn't, and if there is, it's probably senseless daily grinding for gold and points and extra gift of boredom.

Does anyone else feels like todays developers are just still making the same shit every other game that they made, and lack innovation to keep us hooked for a long while besides PvP, Crafting, Raids/Dungeoning and Dailies? 

Comments

• PadieuPadieu Member Posts: 40

I understand how you feel  as an mmo gamer, I felt that too whenever I try to play WOW also and usually I am comparing it to other games.  As of the moment I like Guild wars to. I think it's one of the best game for me today that levels up to wow.  

But whenever there's a new game, give yourself a time to try it

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by darkedone02

Does anyone else feels like todays developers are just still making the same shit every other game that they made, and lack innovation to keep us hooked for a long while besides PvP, Crafting, Raids/Dungeoning and Dailies? 

No.

There are lots of differnet game types like APRGs, MOBA, arena pvp games, MMO shooters. open world shooters.

Hmm, déjà vu, someone asks a question about MMOs and Narius starts talking about other genres in response.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

For the most part I agree and feel the same way......but.....

Today's developers still develop what is in demand, regardless how we might feel about it. Many dislike the direction MMO's are going (incl. me), yet the amount of people playing these games is hugh. Yes Yes internet became more mainstream bla bla bla, ever since it's mainstream it seems still to be growing.

What we don'need to forget there is a whole new generation of gamers that are used to how games are delivered, they often don't understand the concept of having non-combat and combat into one game, also they are so used too these online combat games that they already call fail on that what they don't comprehend or know from the past. Of cource even the guy that played a MMO for the first time yesterday will most likely feel it's such a different and new game experiance.

You see most of the MMO's today's are build up by the complaints from the past and even though we as a minority have grown over the years into more then what we had back in the old, the masses still seem to want it all and want it now. And developers are just given them just that.

This doesn't mean I don't have fun in some of those online combat games cause I sure do. But it's just that after a short period of time I think to myself what I am playing in a MMO today is so much beter in your regular multiplayer game or even singleplayer game. In the old MMORPG delivered things I couldn't find in single/multiplayer games, so many different game styles all in one game, yet today it's often and mostly a forced playstyle either PVP or simple PVE with crafting tacked onto everyone. Try to be unique in this genre today and you most likely need to accept you will be playing very solo. Cause you not wearing that Purple End Game Armor of Powness or wielding that Sword of Uberness which is obtained by most of the players following the same path to become what everyone else already has become or is getting at.

So yeah for me there is definitly a lack of fun to be found in today's MMORPG's. But my type of fun in a MMORPG is competely different compared to what most of today's players find fun.

Example, I am sure many would be bored to death with the following. SWG, harvesting, searching for that sweet 90/100% spot to mine that could take hours, day's, sometimes even weeks or months before some rare resource would spawn and you found it, putting down a harvester.....and then coming back 2 day's later counting yourself already wealthy and the result seeing you had mined just a small amount cause you forget to pay maintaince and the funny things is all I thought was F%cK...LOL should have though of that, lesson learned, next time I'll do better. I do understand that many would not consider this too be fun. But to me even though I love to immerse myself into the game and what said above makes the gameworld act realistic, but it alway's be a game and with a MMORPG what 's not done today, there will be plenty of other day's to get it done. That "was" the beauty of MMORPG's.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by RefMinor

No.There are lots of differnet game types like APRGs, MOBA, arena pvp games, MMO shooters. open world shooters.
    Hmm, d

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Well, I'm still having a lot of fun in GW2. Where else can you find in your MMO an 8-bit throwback to the "good ol' days" of gaming in the Super Adventure Box? I'm also having fun with Defiance as well, it's a nice TPS in a persistent world and so far a real joy.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• darkedone02darkedone02 Member UncommonPosts: 581
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

No.

There are lots of differnet game types like APRGs, MOBA, arena pvp games, MMO shooters. open world shooters.

Hmm, déjà vu, someone asks a question about MMOs and Narius starts talking about other genres in response.
    That is because for him, there is only one genre... FUN!

MMOs today are geared to keep players playing in only a few ways. Like you said: Raiding, Dailies, Dungeons, and PvP. There is also a gear grind linked to all activities. Crafting is a joke in most MMOs, being maxed out in a matter of a few hours with nothing to do with it after, except maybe play in the auction house.

If a player has little to no interest in these activities, there really is not much to keep them playing. Many are just single player story driven games for many players. Once the story is finished, they move on or leave and wait for an expansion to return to the game. A player does not have the ability to "live" in the game world, to do other activities that help immerse them in the game.

For me, most MMOs are fun. For awhile. Lately, it is a very short while.

Sounds like me in a way, i've play the game for the storyline of it, however once i've reached to the end of the game, i've usually uninstall the game and find something brand spanking new... that's how i do it on my single-player games as i only replay games unless i'm litterly bored out of my mind and new games are not appearing left and right in this time of the month.

Now I play these mmo to spend my time with besides just storyline, there are other oppurtunities out there to do. Like doing dailies, raiding, pvp, and make something nice in crafting, however doing them all more then a month, and the fun vibe in the game drops. There need to be something out there that refreshes the contant, something new besides the dailies, pvp, and raids that people get into. Something that is part of the game itself, like i put in my example, helping out the war effort one way or another, make the game feel more alive. Allow me to make choices and see the effect.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

No.

A lot of them are pretty close to MMOs .. with similar play style. Thinkk about it. A lot of people play WOW by click a button and go into a dugneon with 4 other players.

That is essentially what you do in Diablo 3, or TL2 (if you are not solo-ing).

Or some will go queue up their favorite battleground, or arena. Not a huge difference from World of Tanks, except, of course the setting.

Oh, and a lot of people solo ... so many CRPG fits that play style.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

If a player has little to no interest in these activities, there really is not much to keep them playing. Many are just single player story driven games for many players. Once the story is finished, they move on or leave and wait for an expansion to return to the game. A player does not have the ability to "live" in the game world, to do other activities that help immerse them in the game.

For me, most MMOs are fun. For awhile. Lately, it is a very short while.

This ^^^

MMOs can  be enjoyed as SP games, as you have demonstrated. In fact, F2P is even better .. you can just play  .. finish content .. then wait for more while hopping to other games.

And as you say, it is fun. I don't think this (my) style of play is that out of the ordinary. Many players are probably doing the same. Hence, the rise of F2P.